You trailer haulers out there....

Gilby122
Edited Date/Time 12/10/2018 3:33pm
I had a 24’ enclosed. Nice big trailer but pain in the a$$ dragging it around. Sold it and bought a Promaster. Son got injured and van was sitting so sold it on the bazaar to a fellow member. I miss the van but expensive to sit in my shop. Anyway, I think I’m goin back to trailer life....just not as big.

Two questions.....
1) anyone have an opinion on 7’ wide vs 8’ wide for hauling bikes?

2) anyone have an opinion on tandem vs single?

Probably like debating oil and religion but figured I’d ask. Price of trailers is brutal these days and two dealers said 18-20 weeks out on an order!
|
Gilby122
11/30/2018 7:39pm
Good questions. Don’t sleep in it. Hotel for the win. 450 and a 65 now. sometimes two 450’s and the 65. Gear, Cooler, etc.
mwssquad827
11/30/2018 7:54pm
Get a double axle for sure.. pull better( don’t sway in the wind, the single axle can get a lil sketchy if the wt isn’t loaded right) and I had a 7 wide and always wanted a 8 wide.. 7 works but bigger is better?!? And get some etrack to tie bikes down
11/30/2018 8:28pm
I work at an RV/Trailer dealership. Don’t buy a buy a brand new one unless money isn’t an object to you. Here’s why;

1) the dumbasses at the trailer factory will have absolutely installed something or assembled something incorrectly. I can promise you this. Let the first owner pay to get if fixed or have it warrantied. Saves you the hassle and it won’t reflect on your buying price when you buy it.

2) A new trailer loses an immense amount of value the second you sign on the dotted line to purchase it. You will immediately lose thousands just by taking it off the dealership property.

Go to an Rv/trailer expo or just go to your dealer and walk into every single one. Find out what floor plans you like and dislike, take pictures, take notes, measure the garage sizes of any that catch your eye. By the time you do all of this, you will probably have your mind made on exactly which one you like and which ones you dislike.

Unfortunately, buying used has some of its own risks but if it’s a newer trailer and not clapped after a visual inspection, it’s probably fine. Do your due diligence and please feel free to PM me if you have questions. I don’t mind helping a fellow moto guy out.

The Shop

Mx391
11/30/2018 10:47pm
I bought a used 7x16 double axle for cheap. Looked like a brand new trailer except for a few small dents which didn't bother me. Works great for 3 fullsize bikes, pitbike, stroller, gear, toolboxes, coolers, etc. Picked it up for 2600, it's a 2017 model.
Highflier
11/30/2018 11:10pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2018 11:20pm
I debated this a bunch recently, have an 8.5'x20' v nose thats great for UTV's + bikes but is just too big for bikes only.
I finally went with a 7X14 v nose.
Main reason on the 7' is I wanted to pull it with a Yukon Denali sometimes and not have to always use my F250.
The narrower width makes it a little easier to see around in traffic and overall its just easy to pull for the Yukon.
Thought I'd miss the extra space but it hasn't bothered me yet.
I'm mostly hauling just myself with CR250 and a CRF450.
I have aluminum cabinets in the nose.
I ran e track down the drivers side wall from front to back, about 16" up from the floor.
Cant remember offhand exactly how high, but its located where the front tire lands on it, or against it.
Basically I angle the bikes in at a 45 degree and tie them down to the e track on the wall.
I can fit 4 bikes this way and still walk in the trailer from the side door to the back.
I may switch to bike shoes, but I really like the angled tie down arrangement so far

I'll attach a pic to give the basic idea
Pirate421
12/1/2018 4:07am
I would think anything from 6x12 to 7x14 would be more than enough. I pull a 6x10 and it carries two bikes and I bolted down a used truck toolbox in the front. Doubles as a cabinet and a bench seat and I have plenty of room.
12/1/2018 6:25am
Depends on how much you plan to haul. I have a 6x12 V nose and can haul 3 bikes with gear, tools and extra parts. It is full when loaded with 3, but it works great. I would rather pull it around than a bigger trailer.
Gilby122
12/1/2018 7:19am
Awesome guys. Appreciate the insight. The pictures help too. I’ve had the van...had the big car hauler. I’m in line with Highflier. Going to look around for a similar smaller setup so I’m not always using my one ton.
Monk
12/1/2018 8:02am
Get a double axle for sure.. pull better( don’t sway in the wind, the single axle can get a lil sketchy if the wt isn’t loaded...
Get a double axle for sure.. pull better( don’t sway in the wind, the single axle can get a lil sketchy if the wt isn’t loaded right) and I had a 7 wide and always wanted a 8 wide.. 7 works but bigger is better?!? And get some etrack to tie bikes down
Problem is a 8ft'er is deck over, while a 7ft isn't... I have a 7x14 which IMO is about the perfect size.
Monk
12/1/2018 8:09am
I work at an RV/Trailer dealership. Don’t buy a buy a brand new one unless money isn’t an object to you. Here’s why; 1) the dumbasses...
I work at an RV/Trailer dealership. Don’t buy a buy a brand new one unless money isn’t an object to you. Here’s why;

1) the dumbasses at the trailer factory will have absolutely installed something or assembled something incorrectly. I can promise you this. Let the first owner pay to get if fixed or have it warrantied. Saves you the hassle and it won’t reflect on your buying price when you buy it.

2) A new trailer loses an immense amount of value the second you sign on the dotted line to purchase it. You will immediately lose thousands just by taking it off the dealership property.

Go to an Rv/trailer expo or just go to your dealer and walk into every single one. Find out what floor plans you like and dislike, take pictures, take notes, measure the garage sizes of any that catch your eye. By the time you do all of this, you will probably have your mind made on exactly which one you like and which ones you dislike.

Unfortunately, buying used has some of its own risks but if it’s a newer trailer and not clapped after a visual inspection, it’s probably fine. Do your due diligence and please feel free to PM me if you have questions. I don’t mind helping a fellow moto guy out.
I have to disagree about a few things, specifically the 'losing value part'. Not saying that can't, but trailers and such aren't like vehicles or dirtbikes and anything around a 2000 mile radius in my parts hold their value extremely well.

And consider the risks when buying use. Something simple like eroded wiring can cause an extreme amount of frustration. Throw in a bent axle and suddenly that good deal becomes less so.
mwssquad827
12/1/2018 8:31am
Get a double axle for sure.. pull better( don’t sway in the wind, the single axle can get a lil sketchy if the wt isn’t loaded...
Monk wrote:
Problem is a 8ft'er is deck over, while a 7ft isn't... I have a 7x14 which IMO is about the perfect size.
Like I said I had a 7 wide and it worked awesome.. just always thought a 8 would be better,, I would suggest a v nose also.. the big flat front can kill gas milage
12/1/2018 9:51am
Highflier wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/30/306643/s1200_C7258756_9953_4377_A01B_E7A2688AFD48.jpg[/img]

Wow! Where did you get those cabinets? Also flooring?
pbody
Fantasy
320th
12/1/2018 10:18am
Highflier wrote:
I debated this a bunch recently, have an 8.5'x20' v nose thats great for UTV's + bikes but is just too big for bikes only. I...
I debated this a bunch recently, have an 8.5'x20' v nose thats great for UTV's + bikes but is just too big for bikes only.
I finally went with a 7X14 v nose.
Main reason on the 7' is I wanted to pull it with a Yukon Denali sometimes and not have to always use my F250.
The narrower width makes it a little easier to see around in traffic and overall its just easy to pull for the Yukon.
Thought I'd miss the extra space but it hasn't bothered me yet.
I'm mostly hauling just myself with CR250 and a CRF450.
I have aluminum cabinets in the nose.
I ran e track down the drivers side wall from front to back, about 16" up from the floor.
Cant remember offhand exactly how high, but its located where the front tire lands on it, or against it.
Basically I angle the bikes in at a 45 degree and tie them down to the e track on the wall.
I can fit 4 bikes this way and still walk in the trailer from the side door to the back.
I may switch to bike shoes, but I really like the angled tie down arrangement so far

I'll attach a pic to give the basic idea
So do you have a chock that locks into the e-track to keep the front wheel from kicking out?
racerx217
12/1/2018 10:24am
I work at an RV/Trailer dealership. Don’t buy a buy a brand new one unless money isn’t an object to you. Here’s why; 1) the dumbasses...

Sounds like you are talking toyhauler rv's. I have been down this road twice with new ones and its a giant PITA because they are slapped together by the villiage idiots. I will nevery buy one again. I am though looking at a 7x14 or 7x16 enclosed NEO aluminum trailer. By looking for used ones i would have to say they lose dam near none of their value.
Gilby122
12/1/2018 11:46am

racerx217 wrote:
Sounds like you are talking toyhauler rv's. I have been down this road twice with new ones and its a giant PITA because they are slapped...
Sounds like you are talking toyhauler rv's. I have been down this road twice with new ones and its a giant PITA because they are slapped together by the villiage idiots. I will nevery buy one again. I am though looking at a 7x14 or 7x16 enclosed NEO aluminum trailer. By looking for used ones i would have to say they lose dam near none of their value.
That’s what I’m finding too. I sold my 24’ for more than I bought it for and couldn’t figure out why. Now that I’m looking for another one, I get it. I talked to three dealers yesterday and to order one is 20 weeks minimum. That is simply supply vs demand. Bad time to be wanting to buy and enclosed trailer! Blink
navalseabee
12/1/2018 11:47am
I've got a 7x16, if I could go back I would have done an 8' wide.
Pirate421
12/1/2018 12:03pm
I’d also really look at the difference of the taller interior height models. If you are tall it’s nice to have the tall interior, but it is a sail on the highway and hurts the mpg’s. Now that I’ve had my trailer a few years I don’t think I’d ever go without it.
Digger29
12/1/2018 2:12pm Edited Date/Time 12/1/2018 2:14pm
I had a 7X16 steel trailer but wanted a car trailer that my wife's jeep would fit in so I bought an aluminum 8.5X20 v-nose which seems huge empty but throw a few bikes in it and some extras for weekend race and that's when you really appreciate the extra size/room. I went a foot higher to 7' and heavier axles (for when the Jeep is in it) and oversized 16' tires, escape door (for Jeep) and I had the side access door made at 4' instead of the usual 32". I've a got 40 gal water tank up front under the cabinets, a compressor and 6 LED 4' lights. I had a buddy put a rubber floor in it and on the ramp door. The best part is that it's lighter than my smaller steel 16'er was and that my Raptor pulls it loaded to the teeth like it's not there.

pete24
12/1/2018 2:15pm
Digger29 wrote:
I had a 7X16 steel trailer but wanted a car trailer that my wife's jeep would fit in so I bought an aluminum 8.5X20 v-nose which...
I had a 7X16 steel trailer but wanted a car trailer that my wife's jeep would fit in so I bought an aluminum 8.5X20 v-nose which seems huge empty but throw a few bikes in it and some extras for weekend race and that's when you really appreciate the extra size/room. I went a foot higher to 7' and heavier axles (for when the Jeep is in it) and oversized 16' tires, escape door (for Jeep) and I had the side access door made at 4' instead of the usual 32". I've a got 40 gal water tank up front under the cabinets, a compressor and 6 LED 4' lights. I had a buddy put a rubber floor in it and on the ramp door. The best part is that it's lighter than my smaller steel 16'er was and that my Raptor pulls it loaded to the teeth like it's not there.

I have tried to keep up the that raptor/trailer combo many times on the way to and from races , its fast
Digger29
12/1/2018 2:16pm

Loaded up for a weekend race with the Zuma, bikes and an extra 65gals of water. Like I said, this is when you appreciate the extra room.
crowe176
12/1/2018 2:19pm
Digger29 wrote:
I had a 7X16 steel trailer but wanted a car trailer that my wife's jeep would fit in so I bought an aluminum 8.5X20 v-nose which...

Is that a turbo or v8 raptor? Kind of hard to tell. I have a 13, and havn't towed with it yet.. Was planning a 6x12, as that's all I need, but if it tows something your size, I might step up a little bigger lol.
racerx217
12/1/2018 2:26pm
Digger29 wrote:

crowe176 wrote:
Is that a turbo or v8 raptor? Kind of hard to tell. I have a 13, and havn't towed with it yet.. Was planning a 6x12...
Is that a turbo or v8 raptor? Kind of hard to tell. I have a 13, and havn't towed with it yet.. Was planning a 6x12, as that's all I need, but if it tows something your size, I might step up a little bigger lol.
what kind of mgp are you getting pulling it? and at what speed
12/1/2018 4:41pm
Thanks guys I appreciate the photos of the trailers loaded with bikes and gear as it helps with perspective on what all you can fit in there.

12/1/2018 8:17pm
You can never have too much space. But if your looking for smaller, easier to tow, I would go minimum 7x14, tandum axle.
captmoto
12/1/2018 10:10pm
I have a 6x12 and wish I had bought a 7x 12 or 14. Moving from the back to the front of a 6 can't be done. The wheel mounts have to be staggered to tie down the front wheel.
Highflier
12/1/2018 10:46pm Edited Date/Time 12/1/2018 10:48pm
Highflier wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/30/306643/s1200_C7258756_9953_4377_A01B_E7A2688AFD48.jpg[/img]

Wow! Where did you get those cabinets? Also flooring?
The cabinets were from the trailer mfg, it was an option.
Same on the flooring.

The flooring is rubber diamond plate.
I put the same flooring in my 8x20 trailer myself.
Took a weekend to do the 8x20 floor and aluminum trim, but worth it.
Here is where I bought the floor material https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/garage/nitro-rolls.html

Post a reply to: You trailer haulers out there....

The Latest