Yikes! One more reason I don't

newmann
Edited Date/Time 4/19/2016 12:07pm
have much desire for a street bike. My luck is bad enough on a track. Watch both views.

http://www.fox19.com/story/31747531/biker-dad-dog-nearly-kills-two-ride…

Bad language ahead.
|
Xeno
4/18/2016 4:26pm
There are lots of loose dogs in Baja. They will come at you and run into your front spokes. I have a trick where I can hook my boot under their chin and flip 'em over before they get mangled in my front wheel. It doesn't really hurt the dog, and we are both safer for it.
uk125250
4/18/2016 4:45pm
Henry_Van wrote:
Poor dog hope he's okay
Yep, really not concerned about the biker.
Cygnus
4/18/2016 4:51pm
Holy shit! That guy needs to go buy a lottery ticket.

The Shop

JRT812
4/18/2016 4:54pm
Wow that was crazy!
Henry_Van
4/18/2016 5:14pm
Henry_Van wrote:
Poor dog hope he's okay
uk125250 wrote:
Yep, really not concerned about the biker.
If you listen the one guy sounds like a total dick blaming the dog do acting like a dog like as if he found the dog he was going to kill it
MR. X
4/18/2016 5:19pm
Did that guy push backwards away from the trucks path mid flip or was it just physics at work, I swear he pushed off when his feet touched the ground.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/18/2016 6:01pm
I like dogs.

Now, with that out of the way...

When I first got my driver's license, I almost stuffed myself into a tree trying to avoid a dog that ran into the road. I quickly decided that next time around, I'd do what I could to not run over any critter that was crossing my path, but not at the expense of ruining myself.
cwtoyota
4/18/2016 6:13pm
I have had the same thought after a similar experience, but I instinctively get on the brakes and try to dodge anything that "moves with agency". Live and let live is an instinct I guess. I don't hate them, but I don't really like dogs either.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/18/2016 7:29pm
Nope. I'm better trained now.

I've been 33 all season.
BobbyM
4/18/2016 7:41pm
Henry_Van wrote:
Poor dog hope he's okay
Fuck that dog... Jesus folks.
JB 19
4/18/2016 8:25pm
It's crazy that the guy who crashed the motoard had the awareness to hold his legs up and slide on his back and then to see the truck coming while he was spinning and push off and out of the trucks path. Shocked

I sold my sport bike when my first son was born. Figured I already used up enough of my cat lives riding those things.
newmann
4/18/2016 8:54pm
We were riding bicycles about ten years ago down a farm to market road when we were approaching a house where the dogs always ran out into the road after us. One of our regular crew had gotten an ambulance ride due to one of them several weeks before so I thought maybe they would be leashed or fenced by then. But here comes this big chow charging out just in time to get nailed by a truck heading our direction. Thankfully the driver had the sense to hold his line. The dog was on the side of the road howling his last breaths while I chewed some ass on the dumb bitch that owned the dog. Meanwhile a neighbor gets off his tractor and gets a gun from his truck and put the poor dog out of his misery. Dog owners can be real pieces of $hit.
wildbill
4/18/2016 9:07pm
Just goes to show you what quick reaction times can get you. Smile
Steve 396
4/18/2016 9:50pm
I had almost this same thing happen to me in 1991. Had my new FZR 600 for about 3 months and was fresh off the MSF beginners safety course. Myself and 2 friends were on the way back to the front gate at Beale AFB and we were taking some back roads to get there, taking turns going way faster than we should..... Make a right turn and i'm in the lead, I start to speed up a little and i notice a black lab to my left coming toward me. I couldn't remember if they said in the safety course to speed up or slow down? I speed up, the dog darts toward me and I hit him right in the middle of his body at 55 mph. Next thing I remember is sliding down the road and coming to a stop. Jump up and then the pain hits. Result is a cracked left humorous socket in my shoulder, a sore body and some road rash on my left side and hands. I was lucky no doubt. Dog died quickly with a broken back. Bike almost totaled, complete new fairings, new front forks, frame to get straightened in sacramento, and some other misc parts.

Streetbikes are a ton of fun and I miss riding them but add in all the folks that don't look or pay attention to their surroundings these days and I doubt i will ever get another....
mmcmx
4/19/2016 12:59am
Well, I can't understant how people can think like you do either.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
4/19/2016 1:12am
mmcmx wrote:
Because dogs are better than humans.

I don't see how this is a road bike issue though. Plenty of critters running across moto tracks and trails.
4/19/2016 2:53am
Thanks for the headsup....didn't watch the video.

When I got my drivers licence it was grounded into us that you NEVER swerve for any dog or cat or squirrel. If you hit it, you hit it.

If however it's a moose in front of mr...I think I might swerve for my own self preservation...assuming there is no on coming traffic.
Jimfunn
4/19/2016 3:41am
mmcmx wrote:
Shit, that bloke was lucky!

I also don't get people who treat dogs like they are superior and more important than all other animals.

MR. X
4/19/2016 4:06am
Jimfunn wrote:

I also don't get people who treat dogs like they are superior and more important than all other animals.

They are , take your best friend in the world and lock him in the trunk of a car for week with food and water ,now take your dog and lock him the trunk of your car for a week with food and water ,I guarantee that dog will be a whole lot happier to see you then your best friend will when you let them out.Laughing
Jimfunn
4/19/2016 4:18am
Jimfunn wrote:

MR. X wrote:
They are , take your best friend in the world and lock him in the trunk of a car for week with food and water ,now...
They are , take your best friend in the world and lock him in the trunk of a car for week with food and water ,now take your dog and lock him the trunk of your car for a week with food and water ,I guarantee that dog will be a whole lot happier to see you then your best friend will when you let them out.Laughing
Cool, i'll try it now... Laughing
IWreckALot
4/19/2016 4:40am
My wife gets pissed when I don't swerve for squirrels. . . So I've started to swerve to hit them. I hate squirrels.

I'd do what I could to dodge a dog, but if it comes out of nowhere, I'm not taking unnecessary risks. . . Sorry Fido. A family pet not correctly locked in its yard is bad animal keeping on the owner's part. I hope the bikers are alright. Not too concerned about the dog here.

That freight truck was the scariest part of that video.
IWreckALot
4/19/2016 4:42am
Jimfunn wrote:

MR. X wrote:
They are , take your best friend in the world and lock him in the trunk of a car for week with food and water ,now...
That's funny.

I guarantee your best friend wouldn't run in front of traffic on a busy road. . . And if he would, he'd probably get mangled just like what happened in that video.
chump6784
4/19/2016 4:57am
Fuck the dog. If people want dogs they should keep them in their own yard.
My ex missus had a border collie that used to chase my R6, one night it came running after my front wheel but ran straight into the side of my bike cracking the fairing. I was about ready to murder that prick but it was already pissing itself in their garage it was so scared of me.
MR. X
4/19/2016 5:00am Edited Date/Time 4/19/2016 5:02am
IWreckALot wrote:
My wife gets pissed when I don't swerve for squirrels. . . So I've started to swerve to hit them. I hate squirrels. I'd do what...
My wife gets pissed when I don't swerve for squirrels. . . So I've started to swerve to hit them. I hate squirrels.

I'd do what I could to dodge a dog, but if it comes out of nowhere, I'm not taking unnecessary risks. . . Sorry Fido. A family pet not correctly locked in its yard is bad animal keeping on the owner's part. I hope the bikers are alright. Not too concerned about the dog here.

I had the same deal with my wife and I had to explain her that if you don't swerve or change speeds you will good , they'll move .Squirrels ,not dogs, We've all just witnessed what dogs will do.
slipdog
4/19/2016 5:14am
IWreckALot wrote:
My wife gets pissed when I don't swerve for squirrels. . . So I've started to swerve to hit them. I hate squirrels. I'd do what...

MR. X wrote:
I had the same deal with my wife and I had to explain her that if you don't swerve or change speeds you will good...
I had the same deal with my wife and I had to explain her that if you don't swerve or change speeds you will good , they'll move .Squirrels ,not dogs, We've all just witnessed what dogs will do.
I ran over a squirrel last week. Fool ran across in front of me, juked left, juked right, ran back the way he came, did a 180 and ran under my rear tire.
MR. X
4/19/2016 5:37am
slipdog wrote:
I ran over a squirrel last week. Fool ran across in front of me, juked left, juked right, ran back the way he came, did a...
I ran over a squirrel last week. Fool ran across in front of me, juked left, juked right, ran back the way he came, did a 180 and ran under my rear tire.
I clipped a rabbit with the back tire years ago and left him flopping in the street, I had to turn around and finish him off.
4/19/2016 5:59am
I would be looking for the owner of the dog. How irresponsible, they should be fined at minimum for endangering people's lives. Paying for all damage to the bikes and any hospital bills. If it's a stray then different story.

Post a reply to: Yikes! One more reason I don't

The Latest