Yet another old guy health question. Carpal tunnel.

Motogoof
This year I’ve been really struggling with pain and numbness in my hands both riding and at work, due to carpal tunnel brought on by rheumatoid arthritis. I got a shot of Cortizone in both wrists about three months ago which really helped but over the last month it’s come back pretty strong. I’m going next week for my second shot which will hopefully give me temporary relief. My doctor is recommending that I get the surgery to alleviate the pain. My question is how many of you have got the surgical procedure?Did you bounce back pretty quick and how long did it take you to get back on the bike. Were you happy with the surgery and results afterward? Thanks everybody for your help
|
alphado
6/9/2021 5:51am
I had the surgery done on both hands at different times. Left one first, it took a couple weeks longer to get back to normal that the right one did. No one told me for the left the left hand but when I got the right one done they had me touching each finger to my thumb right away. That helped a lot. Probably 2 weeks for the right hand to be back to normal.

I did both under local anesthetic. Very easy, could eat right up until surgery and was let out right after. No issues with either hand, been over 10 years. I couldn't ride 2 laps without having both hands go numb.
KW62
6/9/2021 6:23am
Just had my right hand done about 2 months ago due to a prior injury causing issues. My carpal tunnel was probably only "moderate" but the extent of my scar tissue in there was not. Took me just under 4 weeks to get back on the bike and now my "good" hand falls asleep before my "bad" hand that had the surgery does.
resetjet
6/9/2021 6:57am
Use this guy. I was back on the bike in a week. The other hand i did the old fashioned way and it was six weeks and a big scar. People fly in to tampa rent a car and fly back same day. Its that easy

https://carpaltunnelexpert.com/
mxracer666
6/9/2021 7:20am
Get it done! I had "severe" carpal tunnel in my right wrist/hand. "moderate/severe" in my left. Absolutely the worst pain I've ever had to deal with ( and I've had many injuries and surgeries) I literally couldn't tear open a pack of sugar for my coffee, or hold a pencil! I was back riding in 2 months (the surgeries were done 1 month apart) Good luck!

The Shop

Bearuno
6/9/2021 7:49am
I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands, left first, right second, last year.

It had got to the point my hands would 'go to sleep' within a few hundred metres of riding my bicycle, driving my car, and my motorcycles. It made arm pump, seem a trifle of a problem. Though, it made for some fast DH runs, what with not being able to use the brakes..........Woohoo

I couldn't sleep from the pain / numbness - now
there's a contradiction of terms / symptoms!

But since the CP surgery, I've had 'trigger finger' really come in with a bang ( Doctor says it's not really related) , with all but 1 finger, the index, on each hand, locking up . It makes Everything difficult. Especially in the Workshop - holding a TIG Torch when doing some very intricate weldments has become damned near impossible, lately.

I'm scheduled for each hands four ratshit digits, to be fixed, in the next few weeks and months. I hope it works , as having hands that don't function well, sucks. Watching the ultra sounds, and seeing the 'bubble', down in your hand, that actually causes the finger locking, is so bloody weird - the problem is nowhere near the finger joint. Bodies are puzzling, at times.
murph783
6/9/2021 8:53am
You know, I’m just about to turn 30 and a lot of these old guy problems seem to apply to me...doesn’t seem like a good sign of things to come.

That said I’m following cause my carpal tunnel has come back with a vengeance the last couple months
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
6/9/2021 9:44am
Don't wait too long to get it fixed. You are doing nerve damage, and the sooner you get it fixed the faster (and more completely) it will heal.
blaze 57
6/9/2021 11:00am Edited Date/Time 6/9/2021 11:04am
Motogoof wrote:
This year I’ve been really struggling with pain and numbness in my hands both riding and at work, due to carpal tunnel brought on by rheumatoid...
This year I’ve been really struggling with pain and numbness in my hands both riding and at work, due to carpal tunnel brought on by rheumatoid arthritis. I got a shot of Cortizone in both wrists about three months ago which really helped but over the last month it’s come back pretty strong. I’m going next week for my second shot which will hopefully give me temporary relief. My doctor is recommending that I get the surgery to alleviate the pain. My question is how many of you have got the surgical procedure?Did you bounce back pretty quick and how long did it take you to get back on the bike. Were you happy with the surgery and results afterward? Thanks everybody for your help
I'm 63 and had both hands done when I was in my 40's. Surgery 100% fixed it. My hands were numb 24/7 so I had no choice and had to get the surgery. I have seen the incision or surgery done a few ways. Mine was in the center of my hands or palms but a buddy of mine they did the incision/surgery on his wrists. Good luck! The surgery itself is really not to bad. You are in and out of the clinic in a few hours and the pain was minimal.
Motogoof
6/9/2021 11:34am
Thanks guys for the insight. Looking forward to getting this done and putting this behind me.
6/9/2021 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2021 2:30pm
You can try magnesium and DMSO, you can use DMSO topically and internally.

DMSO is unbelievable for pain relief.

Another thing that seemed to help all pain in my body was quitting coffee.
SCC
6/9/2021 2:00pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2021 2:02pm
My crap health insurance does not cover it. $11,000 out of pocket is what billing told me for 1 hand. Gotta love usa health care with paying $290/mo health insurance. Upside is my bikes last forever since i can only ride 3 laps at a time.
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
6/9/2021 3:05pm
SCC wrote:
My crap health insurance does not cover it. $11,000 out of pocket is what billing told me for 1 hand. Gotta love usa health care with...
My crap health insurance does not cover it. $11,000 out of pocket is what billing told me for 1 hand. Gotta love usa health care with paying $290/mo health insurance. Upside is my bikes last forever since i can only ride 3 laps at a time.
Try Oklahoma surgery center. $3k-4K for carpal tunnel. Not sure if that is just one hand or both.
BigBoreFan58
6/9/2021 3:24pm
Try a chiropractor. Carpal tunnel symptoms can be caused by issues other then the wrist. Mine come from bad posture and my shoulders. My chiro makes me good as new every time so far.

I was always lead to believe chiros are quacks. I meet mine in an adult class one time. He told me, come see me, if I can't help you in a few sessions, dont come back. I only about go two to four times a year. I just pay cash, $55 a session.
resetjet
6/9/2021 3:59pm
SCC wrote:
My crap health insurance does not cover it. $11,000 out of pocket is what billing told me for 1 hand. Gotta love usa health care with...
Call the guy in my post above. He pioneered a non evasive technique. Is very inexpensive, a local and a butterfly bandage. Super easy, much cheaper then traditional. People fly in from all over the country to do it.
JoeWV
6/9/2021 5:53pm
Curious where the location of pain is on your guys hands with CT? The tops of my hands between my knuckles and wrists burn terribly bad when I ride for about 30 minutes. After that 30-40 minutes of burn my hands sorta go numb and the pain resides. I’ve asked 2 Dr’s about it and neither has been able to give me a clear answer. Neither Dr thought it was CT, or arthritis and don’t think it’s tendonitis because I get some numbness. Getting old sucks (40 now). Got a Mako 360 clamp ready to install to see it helps some.
Motogoof
6/9/2021 6:10pm
In the mornings my hands feel almost cramped and don’t move very well. I have numbness like you’ve cut off the circulation to my fingers often when I wake up in my sleep. This also comes when I ride. Shaking my hands the numbness leaves very quickly but usually returns about two laps later. I also get that same numbness often when I drive or when I’m at work. I’m an elevator mechanic so I’m constantly working with my hands and my grip strength is terrible
mxracer666
6/9/2021 6:35pm
Motogoof wrote:
In the mornings my hands feel almost cramped and don’t move very well. I have numbness like you’ve cut off the circulation to my fingers often...
In the mornings my hands feel almost cramped and don’t move very well. I have numbness like you’ve cut off the circulation to my fingers often when I wake up in my sleep. This also comes when I ride. Shaking my hands the numbness leaves very quickly but usually returns about two laps later. I also get that same numbness often when I drive or when I’m at work. I’m an elevator mechanic so I’m constantly working with my hands and my grip strength is terrible
Previous to my CT surgeries, this was my experience exactly. I had my surgeries in about 2008. Each surgery, I was put under. Each one took 11 minutes. On waking up the burning pain was mostly gone, of course it hurt where he cut the band. The incision was done at the base of my hand, in the crease the skin makes if you move your thumb inward -no scar at all. I would have to think anyone who is leaving a 6" scar nowday's is operating with some medieval technology , and I'd get a second opinion! Interesting note: Altho I've never had much of a problem with arm-pump, after I recovered for the surgery and was back to riding, I have never gotten arm-pump since! Even after months off the bike! You should mostly recover in a couple months, but it will probably take up to a year for your hand(s) to feel like you have full grip strength again. And it is true that if you let it get bad enough, it can cause some degree of permanent nerve damage. Bottom line - get it done and move on with your life!
Markopolo400
6/9/2021 7:46pm
Add me to the list, I had it bad starting at 25. I got it fixed at 28, good as new a month after both were done and no problems anymore.
6/9/2021 8:03pm
mxracer666 wrote:
Get it done! I had "severe" carpal tunnel in my right wrist/hand. "moderate/severe" in my left. Absolutely the worst pain I've ever had to deal with...
Get it done! I had "severe" carpal tunnel in my right wrist/hand. "moderate/severe" in my left. Absolutely the worst pain I've ever had to deal with ( and I've had many injuries and surgeries) I literally couldn't tear open a pack of sugar for my coffee, or hold a pencil! I was back riding in 2 months (the surgeries were done 1 month apart) Good luck!
Same here. SEVERE carpal tunnel at the old age of 30. I would wake up in the middle of the night practically in tears. My wife would have to massage my head's for me. Couldn't go one lap without my hands going numb. Surgery was a success. Don't wait do it asap!
6/9/2021 8:04pm
Add me to the list, I had it bad starting at 25. I got it fixed at 28, good as new a month after both were...
Add me to the list, I had it bad starting at 25. I got it fixed at 28, good as new a month after both were done and no problems anymore.
Wow I couldn't believe I had it so bad at 30 but 25? Wild isn't it
RG38
6/9/2021 8:27pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2021 8:28pm
I had both of mine done after years of numbness and nerve conduction tests and non surgical treatments. Tests showed moderate in left hand and moderate/severe in right.
Should have done it sooner. Recovery was easy, was still able to use my hands enough to get by if careful. No more waking up with dead hands and riding without feeling the controls.
6/10/2021 12:01am
Over the last few months I've noticed when riding my hands will just go numb to the point of not being able to feel much of anything. Sharp stinging pain if I don't stop and shake my hands to get feeling back. I had an offroad race this past weekend and after 2.5 miles in I was toast on my hands. I couldn't go more than 100' before having to stop to shake my hands out to get the feeling back. I'm 45 and never had this problem before. Is this CT or something totally different. My mother had both her hands done when she was in her late 30's, but my pops us good. If this surgery helps, then I'm down.
robkinuk
6/10/2021 2:52am
Get it done asap. Had mine done about 3 years ago, not looked back since. Just be sure to get them done 1 hand at a time, unless you have a loving wife, girlfriend or partner to wipe your backside after a poo!WoohooBlushBlush
tek14
6/10/2021 2:57am
You can postpone over riding season using cast on wrist when sleeping. That should start to work in week and with cortizone inflamation and swelling should ease. I had one arm done but took couple months to get back normal so im postponing other hand over summer.
tek14
6/10/2021 3:01am
SCC wrote:
I got it done with 1000 dollars per hand. Did talk with doctor all the time it took. If want them to put me in sleep woud have been 3000 dollars per hand.
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
6/10/2021 9:03pm
I program computers for a living. 30 years ago I was having carpal tunnel.
What I did won't work for everyone, but I bet it'll help someone other than just me.

I started using a mouse left handed at work, and right handed at home. That helped, but it wasn't enough.
I realized that I usually got CP when my office, and my desk in particular were cold.
I started wearing long sleeves, keeping the wrists/forearms warm. That helped quite a bit.
I paid attention to the angle of my wrists when working on a computer. They should straight. When they're bent, the nerves are going to have more of a tendency to rub. I know this only somewhat applies to motocross.
I then maxed out the mouse sensitivity so I didn't have to move my wrist much to traverse both monitors (I use 3 now).
All of those things helped a lot.
Then I started lifting weights, especially doing wrist curls, and it all went away completely. I believe the increased circulation and full motion are what caused the benefit.

That was almost 30 years ago, and it's been gone ever since.

I know that CP is sometimes caused by a pinched nerve in your neck. If that's the case, chiropractic will help.
Hopefully the MRIs can determine if the problem is in your wrists before having surgery.
If it's caused by a pinched nerve, surgery on your wrists isn't going to help. I've met people who had the surgery, and still had CP.

Whatever the cause, I hope you're able to get it all fixed.
6/11/2021 2:14am
Radical wrote:
I program computers for a living. 30 years ago I was having carpal tunnel. What I did won't work for everyone, but I bet it'll help...
What I did won't work for everyone, but I bet it'll help someone other than just me.

I started using a mouse left handed at work, and right handed at home. That helped, but it wasn't enough.
I realized that I usually got CP when my office, and my desk in particular were cold.
I started wearing long sleeves, keeping the wrists/forearms warm. That helped quite a bit.
I paid attention to the angle of my wrists when working on a computer. They should straight. When they're bent, the nerves are going to have more of a tendency to rub. I know this only somewhat applies to motocross.
I then maxed out the mouse sensitivity so I didn't have to move my wrist much to traverse both monitors (I use 3 now).
Then I started lifting weights, especially doing wrist curls, and it all went away completely. I believe the increased circulation and full motion are what caused the benefit.

I know that CP is sometimes caused by a pinched nerve in your neck. If that's the case, chiropractic will help.
Hopefully the MRIs can determine if the problem is in your wrists before having surgery.
If it's caused by a pinched nerve, surgery on your wrists isn't going to help. I've met people who had the surgery, and still had CP.

Oh man, I also spend alot of time a t the computers and also experience same pain.

Thanks for this post I will be trying the wrist curls.
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
6/11/2021 2:36am
Radical wrote:
I program computers for a living. 30 years ago I was having carpal tunnel. What I did won't work for everyone, but I bet it'll help...

Oh man, I also spend alot of time a t the computers and also experience same pain. Thanks for this post I will be trying the...
Oh man, I also spend alot of time a t the computers and also experience same pain.

Thanks for this post I will be trying the wrist curls.
If wrist curls don't work for you, try the other things too. They do help a lot.
resetjet
6/11/2021 9:29am
JoeWV wrote:
Curious where the location of pain is on your guys hands with CT? The tops of my hands between my knuckles and wrists burn terribly bad...
Curious where the location of pain is on your guys hands with CT? The tops of my hands between my knuckles and wrists burn terribly bad when I ride for about 30 minutes. After that 30-40 minutes of burn my hands sorta go numb and the pain resides. I’ve asked 2 Dr’s about it and neither has been able to give me a clear answer. Neither Dr thought it was CT, or arthritis and don’t think it’s tendonitis because I get some numbness. Getting old sucks (40 now). Got a Mako 360 clamp ready to install to see it helps some.
The nerve that runs through the carpal tunnel is for your middle, ring and pinky fingers. If those are the ones affected mainly it likely is CT. They do a simple
Electronic nerve test to confirm it.
Markopolo400
6/11/2021 12:41pm
Wow I couldn't believe I had it so bad at 30 but 25? Wild isn't it
Between some other medical issues I have, and my hobbies of olympic weightlifting and moto it was bound to happen according to my doc. I struggled with it for years waking me up in the middle of the night.

Im about 15months out from surgery now, and am 100% and dont even think about it anymore.

Post a reply to: Yet another old guy health question. Carpal tunnel.

The Latest