Year: 2000 Frozen Ocean MX/SX Pro Night Video (Before Unadilla or Binghamton?)

Cross-It-Up
Edited Date/Time 4/2/2021 11:25am
Using the off weekend to go through some VHS tapes. Here's one of the first ones I've come across. The quality is low, but make sure YouTube is set to the highest resolution. Looks like 480 is the highest setting. Also, might be better off not maximizing the screen. The actual VHS footage is better, but the YouTube compression makes it more grainy. I also brightened the screen a notch and that helps.

**UPDATE: Looks way better on a phone than on a computer.

It's Pro night at Frozen Ocean in Upstate New York in the summer of what appears to be 2000.

Here's some riders from the video:

29 Casey Johnson (Yamaha of Troy)
73 Paul Carpenter (DKNY Fast by Ferracci)
34 Travis Preston
167 Ryan Mills
34 Travis Preston
Bobby Kiniry - at the end on the Kawi... I think KX80 or kx60?

Video Link: https://youtu.be/rf8Ty-U0-qs

|
MX Culture
3/28/2021 9:05am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2021 7:10pm
802 Arron Day and that 25 was not Ramsey.
I remember the hype around that event and the purse.
Is that track still around?
Kenny Lingus
3/28/2021 9:12am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2021 9:35am
Used to race all of those. They were in between Broome-Tioga and Unadilla and called Yamaha night of champions. In fact used to camp almost exactly from where you appear to be videoing. I can remember racing well into the next day because of the huge amount of riders. Practice for the mx track the next day came way too early.
Kenny Lingus
3/28/2021 9:14am
MX Culture wrote:
They are still open last I knew.
Cross-It-Up
3/28/2021 9:54am
MX Culture wrote:
Thanks for the intel! Now I wonder what the purse was.
Yes, it's still open based on what I see on Instagram/Facebook.

The Shop

motox11
3/28/2021 10:06am
The modern day PIR event has nothing on this event in terms of what talent came out to compete. You’d see Yamaha of Troy, Motoworld Suzuki, Factory KTM, Factory Husky, Motosport Honda etc etc. Both Alessi’s and Millsaps showed up in 2005. Then add in all of the double and triple digit national privateers. I remember Barry Carsten always being there ripping. It was the race to be at as a kid growing up because you’d be racing the same track as all of them on the same day.
Cross-It-Up
3/28/2021 10:18am
motox11 wrote:
The modern day PIR event has nothing on this event in terms of what talent came out to compete. You’d see Yamaha of Troy, Motoworld Suzuki...
The modern day PIR event has nothing on this event in terms of what talent came out to compete. You’d see Yamaha of Troy, Motoworld Suzuki, Factory KTM, Factory Husky, Motosport Honda etc etc. Both Alessi’s and Millsaps showed up in 2005. Then add in all of the double and triple digit national privateers. I remember Barry Carsten always being there ripping. It was the race to be at as a kid growing up because you’d be racing the same track as all of them on the same day.
Spot on @motox11. I was 19 years old #238 in this picture. It's dated August 24th 2000, so I'm pretty sure it's from this event. Then again, it might be another big event they had that was at a later date from the Pro night. So long ago, I don't remember.

Kenny Lingus
3/28/2021 10:35am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2021 10:36am
Casey Higgins, Aaron Dieter, Bruce Stratton are few fast locals of that time I remember. Was gonna add Bobby Kiniry but he beat me too it. 😁
MX114
3/28/2021 10:47am
Thank you for this! Awesome! Caught a clip of myself in the beginning of it. Those races were epic. The height of Frozen Ocean and talent coming out of New York. I’m just a little older than Bob Kiniry and Mills. The year previous in 1999 my late friend Shane Bartholf and I spent the whole week at frozen ocean staying in his motorhome and riding with Casey Johnson, jiri dostal, and Brock sellards everyday. The owner of frozen ocean bill denman would prep the tracks everyday and we would just hammer motos all day and afterwards the mechanics would prep a big bbq at night. Great times!
MX114
3/28/2021 10:59am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2021 11:04am
The 1998 pro purse

Bob Kiniry and me accepting our Fox Jerseys for winning our classes in 1997. 80cc and 60cc. Sheak and KW

Lot of people in this pic went on to do things in racing and the industry. Two Loretta lynn winners back row standing up and one of Fly Racing’s top employees now, bottom row kneeling is Bob Kiniry and me next to each other and dark shirt is Paul Carpenter

Cross-It-Up
3/28/2021 12:54pm
MX114 wrote:
Thank you for this! Awesome! Caught a clip of myself in the beginning of it. Those races were epic. The height of Frozen Ocean and talent...
Thank you for this! Awesome! Caught a clip of myself in the beginning of it. Those races were epic. The height of Frozen Ocean and talent coming out of New York. I’m just a little older than Bob Kiniry and Mills. The year previous in 1999 my late friend Shane Bartholf and I spent the whole week at frozen ocean staying in his motorhome and riding with Casey Johnson, jiri dostal, and Brock sellards everyday. The owner of frozen ocean bill denman would prep the tracks everyday and we would just hammer motos all day and afterwards the mechanics would prep a big bbq at night. Great times!
Yea, for sure👍. That MX track was fun. Super deep ruts and the camelback in the back they had in 2000 was fun.
dominuscorp
3/28/2021 4:33pm
Using the off weekend to go through some VHS tapes. Here's one of the first ones I've come across. The quality is low, but make sure...
Using the off weekend to go through some VHS tapes. Here's one of the first ones I've come across. The quality is low, but make sure YouTube is set to the highest resolution. Looks like 480 is the highest setting. Also, might be better off not maximizing the screen. The actual VHS footage is better, but the YouTube compression makes it more grainy. I also brightened the screen a notch and that helps.

It's Pro night at Frozen Ocean in Upstate New York in the summer of what appears to be 2000.

34 Travis Preston
167 Ryan Mills
34 Travis Preston

25 on the Kaw was Paul Veracca (sp?)
70 on the HQV was Dave Kratz
Cross-It-Up
3/28/2021 6:40pm
Using the off weekend to go through some VHS tapes. Here's one of the first ones I've come across. The quality is low, but make sure...

34 Travis Preston
167 Ryan Mills
34 Travis Preston

Just noticed the Kiniry part on small bikes got clipped short for some reason. Here it is if anyone is interested:
https://youtu.be/oX9qawGOsjc
acres951
3/28/2021 7:12pm
Was probably there for this race in 2000, was always a great race to go to.

I remember Preston trying to hang with Carpenter and casing that big triple on the mx track (he was on the POS husky).

Also, as a Canuck was awesome to see Chuck Mesley go there and hang with the fast guys.

Great track thanks for the reminder! Good times
dgmx
3/29/2021 6:59am
Like others have said, this race was awesome. Mills was probably about 13 in the Pro class
motoBRD
3/29/2021 11:35am
One WTF memory I had from high school was of the Alessi's showing up for the night race. The layout that year had a big sweeper into a single after the straight by the crowd. Mike was running 2nd behind Brock Sellards. Mike tried to get by on the inside of the sweeper, but as they approached the single his momentum carried him right into Brock's back wheel. Mike high-sided and that ended his night. Always looked forward to racing there on those nights with the pros in town.
Cross-It-Up
3/31/2021 9:29am
motoBRD wrote:
One WTF memory I had from high school was of the Alessi's showing up for the night race. The layout that year had a big sweeper...
One WTF memory I had from high school was of the Alessi's showing up for the night race. The layout that year had a big sweeper into a single after the straight by the crowd. Mike was running 2nd behind Brock Sellards. Mike tried to get by on the inside of the sweeper, but as they approached the single his momentum carried him right into Brock's back wheel. Mike high-sided and that ended his night. Always looked forward to racing there on those nights with the pros in town.
I think I have video of when Brock Sellards was there. I'll post it here if I come across it.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
3/31/2021 10:17am
Awesome video! Frozen Ocean is still open, but under new ownership. I ride there quite a bit still (about 40 mins from my house). New track layout last year breathed some life into the place, hopefully they keep up the good work!
4/1/2021 6:56am
dgmx wrote:
Like others have said, this race was awesome. Mills was probably about 13 in the Pro class
Mills was the last 04 cr125 in sx, his best finish on it was a 4th. He was asked in cycle news if he was racing the nationals on the cr125. He said yes, I Love my cr125. Nationals started and he was on the 250f, I was bummed.
Cross-It-Up
4/2/2021 10:44am
dgmx wrote:
Mills was the last 04 cr125 in sx, his best finish on it was a 4th. He was asked in cycle news if he was racing...
Mills was the last 04 cr125 in sx, his best finish on it was a 4th. He was asked in cycle news if he was racing the nationals on the cr125. He said yes, I Love my cr125. Nationals started and he was on the 250f, I was bummed.
I had the chance to see Mills race here a few times. He had such a unique style trait where when he was in the air his feet would go 12” above and 12” back away from the footpegs.
MX114
4/2/2021 11:24am Edited Date/Time 4/2/2021 11:26am
dgmx wrote:
Mills was the last 04 cr125 in sx, his best finish on it was a 4th. He was asked in cycle news if he was racing...
I had the chance to see Mills race here a few times. He had such a unique style trait where when he was in the air...
I had the chance to see Mills race here a few times. He had such a unique style trait where when he was in the air his feet would go 12” above and 12” back away from the footpegs.
Nailed it! I can picture Mills mid flight right now doing that! He grew up a BMX champ real young before racing moto so I always thought his style was unique. I’ve got a VHS tape somewhere of Ryan at Loretta’s 2003 on his way to winning championships in 125A and schoolboy. The only other riders I know of to do that in the same year is James Stewart and Davi Millsaps. It’s a rare group to be that young and fast enough to accomplish that. Too bad the route he took later in in life. Grew up w Ryan. Such a talented rider

Post a reply to: Year: 2000 Frozen Ocean MX/SX Pro Night Video (Before Unadilla or Binghamton?)

The Latest