Yeah, it's Supercross time, but... (Dakar)

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
Edited Date/Time 1/19/2018 2:12pm
Who else is a little more interested in Dakar this year, with Andrew Short riding in it?

|
Ryno23
Fantasy
878th
1/4/2018 10:01am
Heck yeah! Hope Shorty does well!!!
Natester551v
1/4/2018 10:12am
I love Dakar...amazing adventure. It scares the crap out of me (if you've ever spent some time looking back at the history of the rally - specifically the motorcycles - you'll know why). It's pretty interesting how many of the greats (Peterhansel, Depres, Roma, etc.) have transitioned to cars. I think Coma is or was the course safety guy once he retired...

I hope Shorty rides within himself and does well! I'll be watching the daily updates with more interest this year...can't forget Samuels and Brabec - two badass riders from the SoCal desert!
rockyuno
1/4/2018 10:15am
looking forward to see how Van Bereven and Benavidez do.
it's a great event

The Shop

Xeno
1/4/2018 10:28am
Yep! Also, there are other former Supercross racers who take on the Dakar Rally- such as Joaquin Rodriguez and Jeramias Israel.
Of course Danny LaPorte is one of three Americans who have podiumed the Dakar.
Helder
1/4/2018 4:15pm
I live for Dakar best single event on 2 wheels i have a personal friend that rides for Yamaha I haven’t slept for the last week Woohoo
Helder
1/4/2018 4:15pm
On that note let’s get some predictions going!!
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
1/4/2018 4:31pm
Toby Price back in action again this year.That dudes been through the ringer in his career but just keeps on coming back, hopefully he can put it up front again

I really just hope everyone stays safe, its an amazing race but I cringe a little bit each year knowing the history of bikes at this race.
1/4/2018 5:16pm
+1. and you know he's going to be all in but I think it's going to be a learning year for him
malachi177
1/4/2018 5:24pm
Always love Dakar....Rally Raid is my favorite dirtbike genre!!!Cool
crusher773
1/4/2018 5:30pm
I am definitely more interested. Where do you go to check results and stuff I know nothing about this stuff pretty much but it looks wicked gnarly for sure.
malachi177
1/4/2018 5:51pm
crusher773 wrote:
I am definitely more interested. Where do you go to check results and stuff I know nothing about this stuff pretty much but it looks wicked...
I am definitely more interested. Where do you go to check results and stuff I know nothing about this stuff pretty much but it looks wicked gnarly for sure.
Not sure. Getting pissed to be honest. They used to show the daily Dakar highlights on OLN and I've looked thru the guide and there's no listing for it!Angry
1/4/2018 6:51pm
Race will surely have more casual US fans (like myself) this year...kind of like the GP's when RV went over. I honestly haven't really paid attention to Dakar since LaPorte was racing it, and didn't even know it's been based in South America for the past 10 years.

I guess it starts on the 6th, and I'm a big fan of Andrew, so I'll be watching.
TeamGreen
1/4/2018 6:55pm
Race will surely have more casual US fans (like myself) this year...kind of like the GP's when RV went over. I honestly haven't really paid attention...
Race will surely have more casual US fans (like myself) this year...kind of like the GP's when RV went over. I honestly haven't really paid attention to Dakar since LaPorte was racing it, and didn't even know it's been based in South America for the past 10 years.

I guess it starts on the 6th, and I'm a big fan of Andrew, so I'll be watching.
This is an awesome example of what I'm expecting to happen with known fast Yankees on Honda and Husky this year.

I hope all of you enjoy this year's Dakar and may EVERYONE have a safe, fast, successful and fun race.
stvh
1/4/2018 6:57pm
malachi177 wrote:
Not sure. Getting pissed to be honest. They used to show the daily Dakar highlights on OLN and I've looked thru the guide and there's no...
Not sure. Getting pissed to be honest. They used to show the daily Dakar highlights on OLN and I've looked thru the guide and there's no listing for it!Angry
NBCSN starting Sunday.
stantdm
1/4/2018 7:03pm
I have watched it on and off for a long time. Not much since they had to quit Africa over the lack of protection for the race. Now that Andrew is racing I will pay attention to see how he does. I hope he has a safe ride, anything more would be great.
Xeno
1/4/2018 7:10pm
I forgot to mention- there’s another American racing Dakar this year: Shane Esposito. He’s a long-time Baja and desert racer. I think he’s #120 in the production class. It’s his first Dakar, I think.
LungButter
1/4/2018 7:41pm
Can't wait!

I didn't know Esposito was doing it. That dude has some serious speed and experience in the desert. I hope he has a solid ride.

Shawn142
1/4/2018 7:55pm
An old riding buddy put together an effort last year and did a pretty neat documentary about the whole ordeal. This year he did a crowd fund and got budget to have a truck follow him around for daily updates from camp each day. His stuff is really good. He runs the Malle Moto class, which is the hardest group. No outside help. You do all your own repairs, feed yourself, and live out of a tent. Brutal stuff.

LungButter
1/4/2018 8:45pm
I've been watching his stuff on YouTube! Dude is living the dream and is one hell of a rider and wrench!
Shawn142
1/4/2018 9:13pm Edited Date/Time 1/4/2018 9:14pm
LungButter wrote:
I've been watching his stuff on YouTube! Dude is living the dream and is one hell of a rider and wrench!
He lived and worked in the states for a few years around '08. His work visa expired so he went back to GB after getting an offer from BAE to work on revamping the Tornado jet fighter. Guy was very good engineer and genuinely a nice guy. He is exactly as friendly and charismatic as he appears in the videos. The turn his life took with the near heart attack and decision to sell everything to do this kind of thing is wild.
rangot
1/5/2018 1:32am
Dakar is very scary when you have friends involved who are competing to win... Speed is just too much when you have to read notes at the same time to find your directions.
motomike137
1/5/2018 3:39am
Shawn142 wrote:
An old riding buddy put together an effort last year and did a pretty neat documentary about the whole ordeal. This year he did a crowd...
An old riding buddy put together an effort last year and did a pretty neat documentary about the whole ordeal. This year he did a crowd fund and got budget to have a truck follow him around for daily updates from camp each day. His stuff is really good. He runs the Malle Moto class, which is the hardest group. No outside help. You do all your own repairs, feed yourself, and live out of a tent. Brutal stuff.

Super cool stuff. I've always admired the people who do these events and the drive it takes to compete in them.
keinz
1/5/2018 5:07am Edited Date/Time 1/5/2018 5:21am
Proud about my buddy Toomas Triisa, who was last year gnarly Malle-Moto class winner. In this class, competitors face the dangers of the Dakar on their own. No service crews. No assistance from anyone. Just themselves, their bikes, their wits, and one metal box to pack spare gear in. The race officials transport said boxes to each bivouac so riders can work on their bikes further after they’ve competed on the stages.

philG
1/5/2018 5:51am
Shawn142 wrote:
An old riding buddy put together an effort last year and did a pretty neat documentary about the whole ordeal. This year he did a crowd...

Lyndon raced supermoto with us for a few seasons, never a top line guy at anything , but he has proper got the hang of Rally.. all of his You Tube stuff is really watchable and there is loads of it.

This year he did a thing on Patreon to raise funds to have a support vehicle solely to edit and film his stuff, after doing it alone last year. Worth a few $$ to see it, although it can be had for free.

The official Dakar site has live timing that shows times at each check and waypoint, and updated news. It will be on permanently for the next 2 weeks.

Be good to see how Shorty fairs, its not enough to be fast , you need to be clever and lucky, but as with most things, the more you prepare, the luckier you get .

Hopefully Sam Sunderland can repeat his 2017 victory, but there are lots of very good guys in there.. former Le Touquet winner Adrien Van Beveren will be looking to go well after a few attempts learning the ropes.
LungButter
1/5/2018 6:02am
Anybody got recommended Facebook pages to follow to get updates?

JRT812
1/5/2018 6:11am
The navigation part at those speeds is what blows me away. I'm pretty sure I would still get lost going at a snails pace

Post a reply to: Yeah, it's Supercross time, but... (Dakar)

The Latest