Yamaknee anyone?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/24/2017 2:15 AM

Kids/work/renovations got in the way and I've been away from the track for quite a while. Bought a new YZ250F and went riding. Had so much fun that I loaded up the next morning and did it all over again. It's a great bike and such a rush to be back at the track again.

I've tried two brands of knee braces but they just don't seem to work well for my legs so I just run traditional knee pads/guards. On the first day, I got that lower scrub on both legs. Thought it might be the knob of weld on the subframe but I don't think that's the right height. I taped my legs up there but then ended up with Yamaknee on the left knee only on the second day. I grip the bike hard (and the bike is a bit chub!) but sheesh has this happened to anyone else? Seemed to push my guards away to allow the damage. Am I the one guy in the world with exactly the right/wrong legs to do this to myself?

I've ordered a set of EVS Pastrana knee guards (any good?) which appear to wrap around and should do the trick.

Oh, I got Yamathumb as well.

Photo

|

10/24/2017 3:33 AM

I just got a 2018 YZ250F and have 3 rides on it. I have not experienced this issue.

|

10/24/2017 3:51 AM

Is it plastic where you grip the bike or is it the seat? If you're like me and grip the bike where it's plastic you just need better protection. I have a KTM so I don't know how similar it is, the pastrana pads cleared this issue entirely for me.

|

10/24/2017 4:01 AM

Ouch.

|

10/24/2017 6:42 AM

MX Guy wrote:

Is it plastic where you grip the bike or is it the seat? If you're like me and grip the bike where it's plastic you just need better protection. I have a KTM so I don't know how similar it is, the pastrana pads cleared this issue entirely for me.

Seemed like plastic/frame. Glad to hear that the pads worked for you. I'll give them a go this weekend.

|

10/24/2017 8:48 AM

I had this real bad at first, but as long as I wear shin pads it's fine. Never had it happen while wearing them.

|

10/24/2017 9:51 AM

I got something like that one time.....

Except it was from a rug, and I wasn’t riding a bike!

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

10/24/2017 10:10 AM

Asterisk + YZ250 gave me some serious Yamaknee.

These remedied my problem. I had Asterisk brand knee socks and they sucked compared to these.

Photo

ARC knee sock

|

10/24/2017 10:55 AM

I second the knee sleeves. I get rubbed raw if I don't wear mine, on any bike.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

10/24/2017 11:21 AM

I can’t stand wearing boxers or undies while riding, so I have a few different pairs of Nike Hypercool pants that I wear under my CTI2’s instead of underwear and knee socks. An added benefit of that is after riding, I’m not forced to wear ass sweat drenched boxers.

Photo

Were you seriously not wearing any pants under the braces? That’s gnar bro......

|

10/24/2017 11:26 AM

MX Guy wrote:

How do you like the pastrana pads??

|

10/24/2017 1:35 PM

I wear neoprene knee brace/support under knee guards for this same reason.

|

10/24/2017 2:56 PM

MxKing809 wrote:

I can’t stand wearing boxers or undies while riding, so I have a few different pairs of Nike Hypercool pants that I wear under my CTI2’s instead of underwear and knee socks. An added benefit of that is after riding, I’m not forced to wear ass sweat drenched boxers.

Photo

Were you seriously not wearing any pants under the braces? That’s gnar bro......

How are these for hot days?

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

10/24/2017 3:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/24/2017 3:17 PM

MxKing809 wrote:

Photo

I wear the Underarmor version of those. Perferated. Very comfy and cool in the heat.

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Specialized Fuse Comp 29.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

10/24/2017 4:36 PM

MxKing809 wrote:

Photo

Falcon wrote:

How are these for hot days?

Super cool. They are designed to be light and breathe. I have found over the years with this type of equipment, you get what you pay for performance wise. These breathe so extreamly well, other $19.99 MX brand ones on BTO? Not so much....

|

10/24/2017 4:48 PM

I buy the 5 buck long johns from waliworld and cut them at the middle calf. Works great for me.

|

10/24/2017 7:05 PM

MxKing809 wrote:

Photo

The Leatt knee brace pants are tits.

Close to the same thickness as the nike pants as well but hold my CTIs up really well.

|

10/24/2017 7:06 PM

fullfloater wrote:

Kids/work/renovations got in the way and I've been away from the track for quite a while. Bought a new YZ250F and went riding. Had so much fun that I loaded up the next morning and did it all over again. It's a great bike and such a rush to be back at the track again.

I've tried two brands of knee braces but they just don't seem to work well for my legs so I just run traditional knee pads/guards. On the first day, I got that lower scrub on both legs. Thought it might be the knob of weld on the subframe but I don't think that's the right height. I taped my legs up there but then ended up with Yamaknee on the left knee only on the second day. I grip the bike hard (and the bike is a bit chub!) but sheesh has this happened to anyone else? Seemed to push my guards away to allow the damage. Am I the one guy in the world with exactly the right/wrong legs to do this to myself?

I've ordered a set of EVS Pastrana knee guards (any good?) which appear to wrap around and should do the trick.

Oh, I got Yamathumb as well.

Photo

Its not the bikes fault lol

|

10/24/2017 11:33 PM

arc knee socks worked for me but im on a rm250 2stroke with evs web braces.

|

10/24/2017 11:34 PM

MX Guy wrote:

Flip109 wrote:

How do you like the pastrana pads??

Got used to them quickly, felt way safer in them immediately. I can grip the bike with my legs without ending up with bruises on the my inner knees from the plastic. I wear normal thigh-high moto socks underneath. I recommend them for sure.

|

10/25/2017 1:19 AM

IceMan446 wrote:

Its not the bikes fault lol

Dude I'm wearing exactly the same pants and pads as I wore on my CRF450 and YZ250 before that so it's something with the bike and me. Anyway, I've ordered the Pastrana guards and the Nike hypercool skins suggested by mxking809 as well so I'll let you know how it goes for weekend #2. Many thanks for the replies.

|