Yamaknee anyone?

fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
Edited Date/Time 10/25/2017 1:19am
Kids/work/renovations got in the way and I've been away from the track for quite a while. Bought a new YZ250F and went riding. Had so much fun that I loaded up the next morning and did it all over again. It's a great bike and such a rush to be back at the track again.

I've tried two brands of knee braces but they just don't seem to work well for my legs so I just run traditional knee pads/guards. On the first day, I got that lower scrub on both legs. Thought it might be the knob of weld on the subframe but I don't think that's the right height. I taped my legs up there but then ended up with Yamaknee on the left knee only on the second day. I grip the bike hard (and the bike is a bit chub!) but sheesh has this happened to anyone else? Seemed to push my guards away to allow the damage. Am I the one guy in the world with exactly the right/wrong legs to do this to myself?

I've ordered a set of EVS Pastrana knee guards (any good?) which appear to wrap around and should do the trick.

Oh, I got Yamathumb as well.

|
305FC250
10/24/2017 3:33am
I just got a 2018 YZ250F and have 3 rides on it. I have not experienced this issue.
MX Guy
Fantasy
668th
10/24/2017 3:51am
Is it plastic where you grip the bike or is it the seat? If you're like me and grip the bike where it's plastic you just need better protection. I have a KTM so I don't know how similar it is, the pastrana pads cleared this issue entirely for me.
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
10/24/2017 6:42am
MX Guy wrote:
Is it plastic where you grip the bike or is it the seat? If you're like me and grip the bike where it's plastic you just...
Is it plastic where you grip the bike or is it the seat? If you're like me and grip the bike where it's plastic you just need better protection. I have a KTM so I don't know how similar it is, the pastrana pads cleared this issue entirely for me.
Seemed like plastic/frame. Glad to hear that the pads worked for you. I'll give them a go this weekend.

The Shop

mx617
10/24/2017 8:48am
I had this real bad at first, but as long as I wear shin pads it's fine. Never had it happen while wearing them.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
10/24/2017 9:51am
I got something like that one time.....

Except it was from a rug, and I wasn’t riding a bike!
Skerby
10/24/2017 10:10am
Asterisk + YZ250 gave me some serious Yamaknee.

These remedied my problem. I had Asterisk brand knee socks and they sucked compared to these.

ARC knee sock
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
10/24/2017 10:55am
I second the knee sleeves. I get rubbed raw if I don't wear mine, on any bike.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
10/24/2017 11:21am
I can’t stand wearing boxers or undies while riding, so I have a few different pairs of Nike Hypercool pants that I wear under my CTI2’s instead of underwear and knee socks. An added benefit of that is after riding, I’m not forced to wear ass sweat drenched boxers.

Were you seriously not wearing any pants under the braces? That’s gnar bro......
Flip109
10/24/2017 11:26am
MX Guy wrote:
Is it plastic where you grip the bike or is it the seat? If you're like me and grip the bike where it's plastic you just...
How do you like the pastrana pads??
Evoracer
10/24/2017 1:35pm
I wear neoprene knee brace/support under knee guards for this same reason.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
10/24/2017 2:56pm
MxKing809 wrote:
I can’t stand wearing boxers or undies while riding, so I have a few different pairs of Nike Hypercool pants that I wear under my CTI2’s...
I can’t stand wearing boxers or undies while riding, so I have a few different pairs of Nike Hypercool pants that I wear under my CTI2’s instead of underwear and knee socks. An added benefit of that is after riding, I’m not forced to wear ass sweat drenched boxers.

Were you seriously not wearing any pants under the braces? That’s gnar bro......
How are these for hot days?
c0ncEpT
10/24/2017 3:17pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2017 3:17pm
MxKing809 wrote:
I can’t stand wearing boxers or undies while riding, so I have a few different pairs of Nike Hypercool pants that I wear under my CTI2’s...

I wear the Underarmor version of those. Perferated. Very comfy and cool in the heat.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
10/24/2017 4:36pm
MxKing809 wrote:

Falcon wrote:
How are these for hot days?
Super cool. They are designed to be light and breathe. I have found over the years with this type of equipment, you get what you pay for performance wise. These breathe so extreamly well, other $19.99 MX brand ones on BTO? Not so much....
JWACK
10/24/2017 4:48pm
I buy the 5 buck long johns from waliworld and cut them at the middle calf. Works great for me.
IceMan446
10/24/2017 7:05pm
MxKing809 wrote:

The Leatt knee brace pants are tits.

Close to the same thickness as the nike pants as well but hold my CTIs up really well.

IceMan446
10/24/2017 7:06pm
Kids/work/renovations got in the way and I've been away from the track for quite a while. Bought a new YZ250F and went riding. Had so much...
Kids/work/renovations got in the way and I've been away from the track for quite a while. Bought a new YZ250F and went riding. Had so much fun that I loaded up the next morning and did it all over again. It's a great bike and such a rush to be back at the track again.

I've tried two brands of knee braces but they just don't seem to work well for my legs so I just run traditional knee pads/guards. On the first day, I got that lower scrub on both legs. Thought it might be the knob of weld on the subframe but I don't think that's the right height. I taped my legs up there but then ended up with Yamaknee on the left knee only on the second day. I grip the bike hard (and the bike is a bit chub!) but sheesh has this happened to anyone else? Seemed to push my guards away to allow the damage. Am I the one guy in the world with exactly the right/wrong legs to do this to myself?

I've ordered a set of EVS Pastrana knee guards (any good?) which appear to wrap around and should do the trick.

Oh, I got Yamathumb as well.

Its not the bikes fault lol
mikec265
10/24/2017 11:33pm
arc knee socks worked for me but im on a rm250 2stroke with evs web braces.
MX Guy
Fantasy
668th
10/24/2017 11:34pm
MX Guy wrote:
Flip109 wrote:
How do you like the pastrana pads??
Got used to them quickly, felt way safer in them immediately. I can grip the bike with my legs without ending up with bruises on the my inner knees from the plastic. I wear normal thigh-high moto socks underneath. I recommend them for sure.
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
10/25/2017 1:19am
IceMan446 wrote:
Its not the bikes fault lol
Dude I'm wearing exactly the same pants and pads as I wore on my CRF450 and YZ250 before that so it's something with the bike and me. Anyway, I've ordered the Pastrana guards and the Nike hypercool skins suggested by mxking809 as well so I'll let you know how it goes for weekend #2. Many thanks for the replies.

Post a reply to: Yamaknee anyone?

The Latest