|
bf884
9/17/2017 5:28pm
Did you read the comments from that site? Lol
bvm111
9/17/2017 7:53pm
bf884 wrote:
I thought we were salty on Vital.... those were pretty funny!
SEE ARE125
9/17/2017 8:27pm
bf884 wrote:
"Will you be mounting the motor in reverse on e-bikes like you do with the dirt bikes?"

Laughing
FI2T
9/17/2017 9:36pm
"we don't want a bunch of fat f*cking motor bike douche bags on our trails."
Some hurtful and just flat out mean comments on there....

The Shop

Jrewing
9/17/2017 10:48pm
bf884 wrote:
SEE ARE125 wrote:
"Will you be mounting the motor in reverse on e-bikes like you do with the dirt bikes?"

Laughing
Hahaha
Ted722
9/17/2017 11:08pm Edited Date/Time 9/17/2017 11:15pm

drop_bear
Fantasy
1533rd
9/18/2017 1:04am
bf884 wrote:
bvm111 wrote:
I thought we were salty on Vital.... those were pretty funny!
I'm pretty into mountain biking and used to frequent that site every day for years. the whole culture of that site revolves around the comments section, there's some funny stuff in there and also just some over the top lame shit.

there's also a lot of hate for e-bikes in the cycling world and any company giving it a go quickly gets shot down by many of the loud mouth douche bags out there. i'm not a fan of e-bikes personally, but they have their place and i still think that yamaha getting involved with mtb in any way is fucking cool and will benefit everyone involved.
wfo4ever
9/18/2017 2:01am
Yamaha tried getting into pedal BMX bicycles back in the 70's. They were heavy, not popular at all, and they were a total failure for Yamaha. They were only available for a short time from Yamaha. Their dealers were selling them at or below cost just to get rid of them.

Lucifa.
9/18/2017 2:36am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2017 2:36am
wfo4ever wrote:
Yamaha tried getting into pedal BMX bicycles back in the 70's. They were heavy, not popular at all, and they were a total failure for Yamaha...
Yamaha tried getting into pedal BMX bicycles back in the 70's. They were heavy, not popular at all, and they were a total failure for Yamaha. They were only available for a short time from Yamaha. Their dealers were selling them at or below cost just to get rid of them.

How were they a failure? I'd like to know more. Rubber and metal right?
MR. X
9/18/2017 4:08am
Sooo... Electric mountain bikes are like the 4 stroke of mountain bikes?
aeffertz
9/18/2017 4:39am
Ted722 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/17/215287/s1200_Screenshot_2017_09_17_at_11.06.09_PM.jpg[/img]

He must've read the Vital shoot out.
9/18/2017 5:12am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2017 5:26am
Wow the MTB crowd have gotten light in the loafers. I see their logic as follows.
"We are certain that the emtb is going to cause more erosion because it is the equivilant of an unknown number of riders pedaling harder. Even though the force is spread out over a larger area via the larger tires. Still, we're so certain about this that we are going to rush down to the enforcement agency and shine the spot light on the "harm" we feel these e bikes will do so that they can be banned from as many trails as possible before any real data is compiled. "
IMO they are going to get themselves kicked out of more trails by being sniveling little bitches. Their complaint that MORE is bad can be construed as LESS is better for the trail, so all bikes can just stay home. Idiots. All because they dont want to be passed on the uphill.
Ted722
9/18/2017 5:41am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2017 7:48am
Ted722 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/17/215287/s1200_Screenshot_2017_09_17_at_11.06.09_PM.jpg[/img]

aeffertz wrote:
He must've read the Vital shoot out.
I wonder if he knows the YZ has wi-fi? Laughing
RangerLee
9/18/2017 6:55am
A thing to keep in mind, the pedal assist, and it is an assist as the engine will not pull the bike if there is no pedaling, is limited to how much power it can put out, the speed has to stay under 28mph in the US or it gets a motorcycle classification. I believe the EU is around 20.

I enjoy mountain biking as well and my son races on his high school mountain bike team, I have seen more ebikes out there lately. A common comment is it is great heading up hill as it does make it easier, but they are a bear downhill as it is heavy to throw around. I imagine it is like coasting a dirt bike down hill not using any power, as the pedal assist does not work downhill.

I also see plenty of Ebikes from some riders at GNCC's, some want to see some of the course before the race, but they cannot get on the track until after the first wave is let go. So they jump on the ebikes to check out a few sections as it allows them to get out and back and as one guy told me, get his heart rate in to the "warm up" zone.

I think those crying about them are a bit in the sky is falling crowd.
Crush
9/18/2017 7:38am
Understand the trail access issue for you guys over there but would love to know the percentage of those complaining who have actually tried one.

They're fun as fuck, smile machines, simple as that.
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
9/18/2017 7:42am
wfo4ever wrote:
Yamaha tried getting into pedal BMX bicycles back in the 70's. They were heavy, not popular at all, and they were a total failure for Yamaha...

I have one!

early
Fantasy
2212th
9/18/2017 7:53am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2017 7:54am
RangerLee wrote:
A thing to keep in mind, the pedal assist, and it is an assist as the engine will not pull the bike if there is no...
A thing to keep in mind, the pedal assist, and it is an assist as the engine will not pull the bike if there is no pedaling, is limited to how much power it can put out, the speed has to stay under 28mph in the US or it gets a motorcycle classification. I believe the EU is around 20.

I enjoy mountain biking as well and my son races on his high school mountain bike team, I have seen more ebikes out there lately. A common comment is it is great heading up hill as it does make it easier, but they are a bear downhill as it is heavy to throw around. I imagine it is like coasting a dirt bike down hill not using any power, as the pedal assist does not work downhill.

I also see plenty of Ebikes from some riders at GNCC's, some want to see some of the course before the race, but they cannot get on the track until after the first wave is let go. So they jump on the ebikes to check out a few sections as it allows them to get out and back and as one guy told me, get his heart rate in to the "warm up" zone.

I think those crying about them are a bit in the sky is falling crowd.
My understanding is Ebikes are getting super popular in Europe where trail regulations are a bit more laxed.

I think the main argument is that allowing any non human power becomes a slippery slope and enforcement of power or speed restrictions is not always possible so the alternative become complete trail closure to any nonfoot traffic. And we are not talking about fire roads here. We are talking about trail that was either recently opened to bikes or built for the purpose of bikes with the understanding that it would double as hiking trail. Increase the speed of the bikes by 50% and you can start to have problems and potential closure to all wheeled vehicles.
Crush
9/18/2017 8:17am
early wrote:
My understanding is Ebikes are getting super popular in Europe where trail regulations are a bit more laxed. I think the main argument is that allowing...
My understanding is Ebikes are getting super popular in Europe where trail regulations are a bit more laxed.

I think the main argument is that allowing any non human power becomes a slippery slope and enforcement of power or speed restrictions is not always possible so the alternative become complete trail closure to any nonfoot traffic. And we are not talking about fire roads here. We are talking about trail that was either recently opened to bikes or built for the purpose of bikes with the understanding that it would double as hiking trail. Increase the speed of the bikes by 50% and you can start to have problems and potential closure to all wheeled vehicles.
Yep, exactly the issue.

You used to have to use dongles or physical hacks but now apparently the Specialized bike can be hacked by your phone via bluetooth... lots of people doing it apparently but you're illegal the second you do and lose your warranty also.
9grains
9/18/2017 8:20am
There are many places where land is limited, and trail advocacy has been the only way to ensure access for bikers. This has been a long battle with land managers, local governments and other trail users for decades, and it's been improving only recently. The main thing to realize is how these other trail users view eMTBs. They are currently not allowed on many trails, and the concern is a rise in their use would only be seen as ammunition against trail access for the MTB community as a whole.

I ride a lot of MTB. I could care less if someone wants to ride an eMTB. Is it a form of cheating? Sure, in a purist sense. But I've got too many other things to concern myself over than to get so upset about eMTB users. Plus, this opens the door for many adaptive and disabled riders to get out on trails. For right now, it's a bit early and the MTB community is a bit sensitive because we have all had trails taken away for reasons that don't make sense. I am sure there will be a suitable market and suitable areas for them to be ridden in time.
loftyair
9/18/2017 8:38am
Myke wrote:
I have one! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/18/215321/s1200_received_10155617881873665.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/18/215322/s1200_received_10155617882398665.jpg[/img]
I have one!

Awesome!
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
9/18/2017 10:37am
Crush wrote:
Understand the trail access issue for you guys over there but would love to know the percentage of those complaining who have actually tried one. They're...
Understand the trail access issue for you guys over there but would love to know the percentage of those complaining who have actually tried one.

They're fun as fuck, smile machines, simple as that.
Motorcycles are fun too. But they don't belong on trails designated as non motorized. That is the issue in the states. Whether a trail SHOULD be open to motorized vs nonmotorized is a different matter. The fact remains that most trails are either non motorized or motorized. Allowing the definition of non motorized to be watered down is a slippery slope that I have no doubt will result in lost trail access for MTB.

emotorcycles look so much better than emtb anyway, for not that much more $.

9/18/2017 11:04am
MR. X wrote:
Sooo... Electric mountain bikes are like the 4 stroke of mountain bikes?
Wouldn't that make them the Alta of mountain bikes?
wfo4ever
9/18/2017 12:37pm
wfo4ever wrote:

Myke wrote:
I have one! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/18/215321/s1200_received_10155617881873665.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/18/215322/s1200_received_10155617882398665.jpg[/img]
I have one!

That is very cool. I notice the different wheels you have, the stock ones had heavy duty spokes and rims. I had some friends that had Yamaha Moto-Bikes. One was yellow and the other had an orange one. Kawasaki even made a similar bike also back then. I know there are some people restoring and collecting them. I have seen a few in the pits at the Mid Ohio vintage races. What are original ones worth these days?
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
9/18/2017 1:11pm
^^I do have the correct wheels and tires for it but hese were on it when I bought it so I haven't changed them. I would guess a nice original one with the original parts $800ish? '74's being the most rare. The chain guard is probably the hardest item to find if it's missing followed by the '74 seat that says moto-bike then the rear fender. Unless the bike is cheap I would not buy it if these are missing.

Thanks for the comment!
Forty
9/18/2017 1:51pm
I've ridden with guys on ebikes and also ridden ebikes. Haibike I believe. The bike I was on was a little heavy and it did not propel itself however helped me to propel it. There was no throttle or way to accelerate, it just was easier to pedal on a climb.

This could get interesting as the knee jerk people will rage for awhile and then it will curb as people learn a little more about them, many people don't know one when they see it. It does not appear to cause more damage to a trail than a conventional MTB.

There are those that will get and stay heated about this, I remember someone here about a month or 2 ago was all red assed about them and he had his mind made up.

They are here, it's going to happen, not sure the outcome however IMO there is a place for it.

ti473
9/18/2017 2:18pm
Forty wrote:
I've ridden with guys on ebikes and also ridden ebikes. Haibike I believe. The bike I was on was a little heavy and it did not...
I've ridden with guys on ebikes and also ridden ebikes. Haibike I believe. The bike I was on was a little heavy and it did not propel itself however helped me to propel it. There was no throttle or way to accelerate, it just was easier to pedal on a climb.

This could get interesting as the knee jerk people will rage for awhile and then it will curb as people learn a little more about them, many people don't know one when they see it. It does not appear to cause more damage to a trail than a conventional MTB.

There are those that will get and stay heated about this, I remember someone here about a month or 2 ago was all red assed about them and he had his mind made up.

They are here, it's going to happen, not sure the outcome however IMO there is a place for it.

was it me?
I hate those stupid things... just pedal and STFU... there I said it
Forty
9/18/2017 2:31pm
ti473 wrote:
was it me?
I hate those stupid things... just pedal and STFU... there I said it
Not sure lol. I am not for or against them however there must be a demand as just about every manufacturer has one in the works.

I can see them being benifitial to a bicycle taxi or ?
peelout
9/18/2017 2:39pm
E-bikes are like the quads of moto, vape's of smokers, wine coolers of beer, crescent wrenches of torque tool sets, etc.
ti473
9/18/2017 3:01pm
peelout wrote:
E-bikes are like the quads of moto, vape's of smokers, wine coolers of beer, crescent wrenches of torque tool sets, etc.
couldn't have said it any better
RMT
9/18/2017 3:07pm
I love that site. I ride MTB's but those douches are just funny as hell. The fact that they pay $10k for a carbon frame made in China, spindly wheels, tires and gears and suspensions parts that cost pennies to mfg. That crowd will sit and gaze in wonder over some bearings and free spinning wheels. Good thing those guys are the 1% of the MTB world.

It also seems that they just figured out that corporations exist to make a profit. Oh the horror.

Post a reply to: Yamaha's new e MTB

The Latest