Yamaha's E-Bike w/ Clutch

bayodome
Fantasy
4282nd
Maybe this was already shared, but I just saw this video of the TY-E electric trials bike. Totally different sound with a clutch compared to the automatic and clutch-less Alta. Excited to see the trickle-down into other motorcycles.
|
mingham97
6/5/2018 6:49am
I think the clutch would purely be there as a means of traction control. It seems like a way more precise way to control your power out put then the awkward movement of twisting a throttle. I imagine twisting a throttle may throw these guys off balance too much as their centre of gravity changes
tempura
6/5/2018 6:51am
I’d much rather have an E-bike with a clutch (for the safety aspect).
mingham97
6/5/2018 6:53am
I also think it's funny the Italian colours on a Japanese rider. Yamaha are trying to appeal raise eyebrows in a certain market i.e. the continent with the strictest emission standards in a bid to say "Look at us. We are the future"

The Shop

mikec265
6/5/2018 7:00am
Clutch? Where's the New Yamaha Blueshift?
Sss suspension, a clutch, and keeping the peace with the neighbors would be great. And no black wheels!
crf250pilot
6/5/2018 7:15am
That would be perfect for my property. Wonder when/if it will ever be available in the US.
shiftmx_22
Fantasy
708th
6/5/2018 9:17am
Someone help my wrap my small brain around this.

With no revving, essentially it would be the throttle controlling the amount of torque that your clutch can produce?

I just imagine having the throttle slightly more cracked than you anticipate, dumping the clutch and instant loopout.

I'm sure engineer's much smarter than me have already worked this out. Even a fake tach that would simulate RPM's would help.
BobPA
6/5/2018 9:20am
shiftmx_22 wrote:
Someone help my wrap my small brain around this. With no revving, essentially it would be the throttle controlling the amount of torque that your clutch...
Someone help my wrap my small brain around this.

With no revving, essentially it would be the throttle controlling the amount of torque that your clutch can produce?

I just imagine having the throttle slightly more cracked than you anticipate, dumping the clutch and instant loopout.

I'm sure engineer's much smarter than me have already worked this out. Even a fake tach that would simulate RPM's would help.
There is no helping you.
HenryA
6/5/2018 9:27am
mingham97 wrote:
I also think it's funny the Italian colours on a Japanese rider. Yamaha are trying to appeal raise eyebrows in a certain market i.e. the continent...
I also think it's funny the Italian colours on a Japanese rider. Yamaha are trying to appeal raise eyebrows in a certain market i.e. the continent with the strictest emission standards in a bid to say "Look at us. We are the future"
So much focus on the future but hold on.....is that a set of Berik boots? Huh
chillrich
6/5/2018 10:08am
What a cool machine, bring on the MX model. What about map changes by left foot?
Moto Mofo
6/5/2018 10:17am
Yamaha has not said if there’s any plans to offer an electric trials bike to the general public, but there are a couple other manufacturers that will soon be offering their own models fully equipped with a clutch and even a transmission.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
6/5/2018 10:28am
Most of us are still clinging to the clutch as an outmoded way of delivering the power. We MX racers use the clutch to isolate the engine from the rear wheel because we need the power to be delivered smoothly or at a more effective rev range.
The thing is, electric motors produce ALL of their torque at any RPM, thus eliminating the necessity for a clutch lever as a means to meter out the power or to increase revs. All you'd have to do is twist the throttle and learn to control the power in that manner.
6/5/2018 10:30am
mikec265 wrote:
Clutch? Where's the New Yamaha Blueshift?
Sss suspension, a clutch, and keeping the peace with the neighbors would be great. And no black wheels!
Black wheels are boring now... they were sick 20 years ago. blah today.
bvm111
6/5/2018 10:38am
I cant do any of that fancy trials stuff he was doing, but that still looks like a blast almost like a big DH MTB rig!
mb
6/5/2018 10:50am
Falcon wrote:
Most of us are still clinging to the clutch as an outmoded way of delivering the power. We MX racers use the clutch to isolate the...
Most of us are still clinging to the clutch as an outmoded way of delivering the power. We MX racers use the clutch to isolate the engine from the rear wheel because we need the power to be delivered smoothly or at a more effective rev range.
The thing is, electric motors produce ALL of their torque at any RPM, thus eliminating the necessity for a clutch lever as a means to meter out the power or to increase revs. All you'd have to do is twist the throttle and learn to control the power in that manner.
Electric torque is not constant, and it is highest at 0 RPM.

http://lancet.mit.edu/motors/motors3.html
endurox
6/5/2018 11:24am
You need a clutch to control load on suspension for splatters

Post a reply to: Yamaha's E-Bike w/ Clutch

The Latest