Yamaha pulls out of Aussie SX series

scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
Edited Date/Time 5/28/2014 6:18pm
Yarrive has a few issues on his hands, having just lost the rights to the Superbike Series, and not this, the rumours of a double header at Bathurst were going around which sounded awesome, big crowd in for that event,

http://www.motoonline.com.au/2014/05/16/yamaha-officially-quits-austral…

(for those that don't know, Yarrive runs the Honda team in aussie, and is the Supercross promotor, and until recently the Aussie Superbike series promotor,
|
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
5/15/2014 8:22pm
How the sport continues to survive here is beyond me?
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
5/15/2014 8:26pm
EZZA 95B wrote:
How the sport continues to survive here is beyond me?
at a professional level i agree with you, must be some big money to run a semi around,
MJC
5/15/2014 8:30pm
SX has been a basket case here for a number of years. Anyone who wants to promote a SX series here is asking to go broke I reckon. How does Yarrive expect teams to get on board when he gives them no information??? I've got a feeling this series this year might not make gate drop.
Maybe 1 off events (like the big Europe SX's) might be the key on the back of supercars or something? Might be the only viable options.........
Aussie nats is getting bad, but hopefully not this bad
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
5/15/2014 8:33pm
MJC wrote:
SX has been a basket case here for a number of years. Anyone who wants to promote a SX series here is asking to go broke...
SX has been a basket case here for a number of years. Anyone who wants to promote a SX series here is asking to go broke I reckon. How does Yarrive expect teams to get on board when he gives them no information??? I've got a feeling this series this year might not make gate drop.
Maybe 1 off events (like the big Europe SX's) might be the key on the back of supercars or something? Might be the only viable options.........
Aussie nats is getting bad, but hopefully not this bad
having tried to be a supercross promoter over here, and lost money doing it, it is not as easy as people think,

The Shop

MJC
5/15/2014 8:35pm
scott_nz wrote:
having tried to be a supercross promoter over here, and lost money doing it, it is not as easy as people think,
Yep, The economy of scale here is our killer, and with you it would have been the lack/shortage of commercial exposure and sponsorship that would hurt I'd imagine.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
5/15/2014 8:38pm
They were running the Superbikes at a few of the V8 rounds last year. I used to feel so bad for the guys racing and seeing a maybe a dozen people in the stands...
MJC
5/15/2014 8:41pm
EZZA 95B wrote:
They were running the Superbikes at a few of the V8 rounds last year. I used to feel so bad for the guys racing and seeing...
They were running the Superbikes at a few of the V8 rounds last year. I used to feel so bad for the guys racing and seeing a maybe a dozen people in the stands...
Its strange ay, you'd think the V8 crowd wouldn't mind a bit of racing/action no matter what the sport. Maybe the old V8 bogan is a thing of the past?
Crush
5/15/2014 8:45pm
I don't get their thinking tho the last few years.

Parra football stadium, then Darwin, then here then there. Fuck. I don't blame Dack and Yamaha for being unsure.

Put the races in large Regional centres where they used to get good crowds. Lower ticket prices to get families in who are just looking for some entertainment and then make a good track. It worked for Supercross Masters for a long time.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
5/15/2014 8:45pm
MJC wrote:
Its strange ay, you'd think the V8 crowd wouldn't mind a bit of racing/action no matter what the sport. Maybe the old V8 bogan is a...
Its strange ay, you'd think the V8 crowd wouldn't mind a bit of racing/action no matter what the sport. Maybe the old V8 bogan is a thing of the past?
Sorry, I meant the seats were empty before they joined the V8 series... I wasn't very clear but it's Friday and I'm on my second "Tallie".Laughing
MJC
5/15/2014 8:52pm
EZZA 95B wrote:
Sorry, I meant the seats were empty before they joined the V8 series... I wasn't very clear but it's Friday and I'm on my second "Tallie".Laughing
Think I'll be joining you Ezza, just kicked everyone off site here, 10 drops on a newspaper.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
5/15/2014 8:54pm
at one of the endurance races last year their was 6 superbikes, because it was a non points paying round and the teams only got a little bit of notice,

Last year Dack made a pretty big deal about lack of notice, so its not surprising when there are no dates they pulled the pin this year, it will be interesting to see who follows,
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
5/15/2014 8:57pm
MJC wrote:
Think I'll be joining you Ezza, just kicked everyone off site here, 10 drops on a newspaper.
Bottoms up!Wink
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
5/15/2014 9:05pm
EZZA 95B wrote:
MJC wrote:
bastards, got an hour left here
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
5/15/2014 9:07pm
scott_nz wrote:
bastards, got an hour left here
That'll teach you to be a Kiwi!LaughingWink
5/16/2014 12:05am
not surprising SX is a shit show down here, last good series was when Chad Reed was on his suzuki at the end of 08?
even at the end of 09' they were still getting milsaps/JG/Brayton and almost had Stewart, crowds seemed to be good then too
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
5/16/2014 12:08am
68 wrote:
not surprising SX is a shit show down here, last good series was when Chad Reed was on his suzuki at the end of 08? even...
not surprising SX is a shit show down here, last good series was when Chad Reed was on his suzuki at the end of 08?
even at the end of 09' they were still getting milsaps/JG/Brayton and almost had Stewart, crowds seemed to be good then too
There was another good attempt at a decent series back in '02/'03? It flopped too.Sad

The indoor series, (SX masters), was pretty cool too.
5/16/2014 12:49am
68 wrote:
not surprising SX is a shit show down here, last good series was when Chad Reed was on his suzuki at the end of 08? even...
EZZA 95B wrote:
There was another good attempt at a decent series back in '02/'03? It flopped too.Sad

The indoor series, (SX masters), was pretty cool too.
Super X was awesome... it's a shame we couldn't get the crowds we needed.

The other series was in '04 with the Supercross Nationals. That unfortunately only lasted a season.
ogdeno
5/16/2014 1:22am
MJC wrote:
Two drops on a Tally Ho paper here mate.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
5/16/2014 1:23am
ogdeno wrote:
Two drops on a Tally Ho paper here mate.
Yeeeeeewwwwww!!!Laughing Hook us up!Wink
Rovalova
5/16/2014 4:34am
Crush wrote:
I don't get their thinking tho the last few years. Parra football stadium, then Darwin, then here then there. Fuck. I don't blame Dack and Yamaha...
I don't get their thinking tho the last few years.

Parra football stadium, then Darwin, then here then there. Fuck. I don't blame Dack and Yamaha for being unsure.

Put the races in large Regional centres where they used to get good crowds. Lower ticket prices to get families in who are just looking for some entertainment and then make a good track. It worked for Supercross Masters for a long time.
Couldn't agree more crush. I remember in the early to mid nineties lots of outdoor sx tracks at regional show grounds. Great crowds and atmosphere, and surely a lot cheaper space to rent and setup. I would imagine dirt cheaper to bring it to those places than a CBD of a capital city. Pits were accessible like they are at the mx too,
Crush
5/16/2014 4:26pm
Yep... But for whatever reason that doesn't seem to be what they want to do. It's not like the US sx series where they can't goto a stadium cause of booking issues. There are hundreds of regional towns that have hosted or would support a race.

I dunno, sure there will be a lot of other reasons, but dang, SX is struggling here and for a long time it was pretty sorted. They went for it and it didn't work out and now it's a shambles. Hope Yarriv(sp?) can sort it out, don't envy his job but I think they could look elsewhere than Darwin! Smile
DDMX18
5/28/2014 12:42am
Glad to see they might get a few rounds sorted. I remember racing about 20 supercrosses a year in the 90's (if you counted the outdoor and indoor Australian sx and supercross masters series plus some regional ones as well as the ones in Queensland).

I remember racing at the Bathurst showground in the late 80's and early 90's. Not far from town. They also ran a few at the Orange showground if logistics of running it at the track doesnt work out. It would be a wild weekend for spectators though, they party pretty hard up there that time of year.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
5/28/2014 12:47am
DDMX18 wrote:
Glad to see they might get a few rounds sorted. I remember racing about 20 supercrosses a year in the 90's (if you counted the outdoor...
Glad to see they might get a few rounds sorted. I remember racing about 20 supercrosses a year in the 90's (if you counted the outdoor and indoor Australian sx and supercross masters series plus some regional ones as well as the ones in Queensland).

I remember racing at the Bathurst showground in the late 80's and early 90's. Not far from town. They also ran a few at the Orange showground if logistics of running it at the track doesnt work out. It would be a wild weekend for spectators though, they party pretty hard up there that time of year.
a night race on top of the hill would be an interesting experience for sure,
Crush
5/28/2014 1:00am
DDMX18 wrote:
Glad to see they might get a few rounds sorted. I remember racing about 20 supercrosses a year in the 90's (if you counted the outdoor...

I most likely would have been in the crowds then!

Scotty... Interesting. haha. Indeed!
jock
Fantasy
1st
5/28/2014 1:20am Edited Date/Time 5/28/2014 1:22am
One of the best I have been to in recent years, was at the Toowoomba showgrounds. Heaps of room, full size track and easy to get around. It was 10X better than the rounds at QE2 Stadium. The worst was the 2012 round at the MotoGP at Phillip Island.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
5/28/2014 1:29am
scott_nz wrote:
a night race on top of the hill would be an interesting experience for sure,
There is, (was?), a motocross track on the backside of the hill, Skyline? I raced the Junior MX State Titles there in '99.
I never remember to look for it during the broadcast of the V8's...
warrnum
5/28/2014 1:43am
Crush I live in Darwin and it was amazing to be able to take my youing son to supercross, you are being a bit harsh on Darwin. I feel very fortunate I was able to see it once and I thank the organizers for that and the territory gov that supsidised the event. I not interested in the V8's or superbikes, we love 2 wheel dirt action. I know it will never be back and was so excited we possibly had 1 more chance to watch it I realize if any sort of series was on this year Darwin would be scraped, yes it is hot here and it is along way from anywhere but there are many Dads up here who are in the same boat as me, there are going to be allot of dissapointed people, but I tankful for the 1 opportunity to watch the best riders in Aus.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
5/28/2014 2:16am
EZZA 95B wrote:
There is, (was?), a motocross track on the backside of the hill, Skyline? I raced the Junior MX State Titles there in '99. I never remember...
There is, (was?), a motocross track on the backside of the hill, Skyline? I raced the Junior MX State Titles there in '99.
I never remember to look for it during the broadcast of the V8's...
we took a helicopter flight around when i went there, and their was a couple of tracks around there, one looked like a decent size one, and a few private tracks,

Post a reply to: Yamaha pulls out of Aussie SX series

The Latest