Yamaha needs a bike update on the 450?

carlosmacho
Edited Date/Time 5/15/2012 10:36am
After all the bad press, I am hoping Yamaha will put the YZ450 on a diet, make the frame less stiff (or whatever it takes to make it handle better).

It obviously has problems, Stewy left because of it. Now is the time to make sure you have worked out the problems with the bike and make it lightest in class. Fix any frame cracks that appear around the head. Then I will buy a 2013 when they come out. But not until the problems are adressed.

Anyone else think Yamaha needs to fix the problems?
|
50dippin
5/8/2012 1:31pm Edited Date/Time 5/8/2012 1:32pm
The yamaha is lighter than the suzuki, and kawi. Imo its a great bike, I liked it when I rode it. Obviously I am no pro but it worked for me.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
5/8/2012 1:32pm
Stewy said the bike is fine, it just didn't work for him.

Just like Reed and Kawi.
Rewindcaz
Fantasy
3120th
5/8/2012 1:57pm
I have an '11 YZ450F and I liked that it seemed to favor my height (6'5). Overall, for a stock bike, I think it's an incredibly solid bike. However, there have still been moments where the bike responded in ways that I found bizarre and unexpected. The back and front ends definitely have minds of their own.

I do think it's time Yamaha makes a few radical changes to the bike. Some things worked, some things didn't. Go back to the drawing board and find some improvements.

The Shop

WhKnuckle
5/8/2012 2:02pm
Rewindcaz wrote:
I have an '11 YZ450F and I liked that it seemed to favor my height (6'5). Overall, for a stock bike, I think it's an incredibly...
I have an '11 YZ450F and I liked that it seemed to favor my height (6'5). Overall, for a stock bike, I think it's an incredibly solid bike. However, there have still been moments where the bike responded in ways that I found bizarre and unexpected. The back and front ends definitely have minds of their own.

I do think it's time Yamaha makes a few radical changes to the bike. Some things worked, some things didn't. Go back to the drawing board and find some improvements.
I'm still sticking with the theory that poorly-tuned suspension is going to cause more extreme reactions on a mass-centralized bike. I wonder if the YZ450F is kind of like my old '02 KTM 250SX - very tough to ride if it's not set up right but great when it is. And setting it up sometimes meant doing the reverse of what you think you need to do - when my front end pushed, I'd dial in more sag to lower the back end rather than doing the opposite like you normally would. And by golly it worked. But on my Honda, I actually don't even know where the clickers are set, it's been so long since I've made any adjustments. I have a feeling that a Yamaha isn't going to be like that. Maybe it's one of those bikes that is great when it's right and awful when it's not.
sozo
5/8/2012 2:18pm
There seems to be to much weight over the rear wheel and not enough over the front, move the motor 1 inch forward and the gas tank reservoir in front of the motor. Mass centralize over the front wheel not back wheel...
bullpen58
5/8/2012 3:10pm
I hate my 2011. I can barely bench press it like 24 times. Way too heavy.

Also, it sucks that I always have to keep putting more and more gas in it. Time for yamaha to go back to the drawing board and make a bike that never runs out of gas and weighs less than I do (275lbs).
stillwelding
5/8/2012 3:12pm
After all the bad press, I am hoping Yamaha will put the YZ450 on a diet, make the frame less stiff (or whatever it takes to...
After all the bad press, I am hoping Yamaha will put the YZ450 on a diet, make the frame less stiff (or whatever it takes to make it handle better).

It obviously has problems, Stewy left because of it. Now is the time to make sure you have worked out the problems with the bike and make it lightest in class. Fix any frame cracks that appear around the head. Then I will buy a 2013 when they come out. But not until the problems are adressed.

You sir, are a freekin genius!
Dsigner
5/8/2012 3:19pm
They can call it the Millsaps Edition. Podium Proven.
carlosmacho
5/8/2012 3:32pm
After all the bad press, I am hoping Yamaha will put the YZ450 on a diet, make the frame less stiff (or whatever it takes to...

You sir, are a freekin genius!
I know, but thanks for the reminder.
ATKpilot99
5/8/2012 3:40pm
Well I'm sure after they see this thread they'll get right on it...Huh
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
5/8/2012 11:27pm
I just picked up a left over 2011, and so far I really like it. The motor is awesome, and the handling is quick and agile. For the "average" rider though, the bike is great. Most people that come on here bagging on them really dont have a clue what they are talking about, I know shocking news.
mxmasta
Fantasy
814th
5/8/2012 11:46pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
LOL
5/9/2012 12:01am
Maybe Yamaha will come out with an all new 250F, everbody loves it, young pro riders scramble to sign contracts to ride it, the bike wins lots of races & championships. It is a great marketing success.

Yamaha could then base an all new 450 on the new 250
Faceaz
5/9/2012 6:44am
I would like to say yes, but think no. Yamaha has traditionally gone with major updates every 3 years, which would make 2013 time for a revamp. But my guess is with the shitty economy & Stewart leaving, that may indicate it's more or less the same bike for 2013. If Yamaha was making drastic changes, you can bet Stewart would know about it / tested it & he may have stayed on blue instead of working so hard to get out of it.
tbanks
5/9/2012 6:54am
Faceaz wrote:
I would like to say yes, but think no. Yamaha has traditionally gone with major updates every 3 years, which would make 2013 time for a...
I would like to say yes, but think no. Yamaha has traditionally gone with major updates every 3 years, which would make 2013 time for a revamp. But my guess is with the shitty economy & Stewart leaving, that may indicate it's more or less the same bike for 2013. If Yamaha was making drastic changes, you can bet Stewart would know about it / tested it & he may have stayed on blue instead of working so hard to get out of it.
Bingo...I agree. Stewart may have stayed if Yamaha has something coming around the bend for their 450.
newmann
5/9/2012 6:57am
Yamaha doesn't care what any of you think. You'll ride what they want you to ride. Be it either a 1/8 ton pig with plenty of leftovers on the dealer floor or a seven year old 2 stroke if you can find a dealer that has one.

If Yamaha even had a clue, the YZ125 and 250 would have updated plastics and full shrouds over the tank. It's almost like they've been blinded by something....

5/9/2012 7:01am
Yup they suck ass. Millsaps takes 2nd on a broomstick
if Mudflaps bike was anything like JBS's there not even close to a stock 450 with all the suspension and frame mods plus moving the motor i would guess they came up with something that works.
4stroke4DWIN
5/9/2012 7:22am
mx510 wrote:
I just picked up a left over 2011, and so far I really like it. The motor is awesome, and the handling is quick and agile...
I just picked up a left over 2011, and so far I really like it. The motor is awesome, and the handling is quick and agile. For the "average" rider though, the bike is great. Most people that come on here bagging on them really dont have a clue what they are talking about, I know shocking news.
Yea but what do you consider the "average rider"? To me the average rider would be a beginner, I say this because on practice days and race days the beginner practices and races have the most entries and as you move up thru the classes the amount of riders goes down. 75-80% of those don't even have the bike setup right. So the bike probably does handle good for slower riders?
I'm not bashing the Yami by no means just wondering if their's a fine line between how the bike works based on rider skill.
carlosmacho
5/9/2012 8:40am
Faceaz wrote:
I would like to say yes, but think no. Yamaha has traditionally gone with major updates every 3 years, which would make 2013 time for a...
Doesn't have to be drastic, just some nip and tuck on the weight. I mean the thing has had almost no changes. If it were a perfect bike I could see that but some people have noticed some inconsistent behavior at least those that own one. For me to spend the money, she needs to go on a diet, otherwise they can keep pumping them out the exact same and I will look else where. Maybe Honda.
carlosmacho
5/9/2012 8:45am
newmann wrote:
Yamaha doesn't care what any of you think. You'll ride what they want you to ride. Be it either a 1/8 ton pig with plenty of...
Yamaha doesn't care what any of you think. You'll ride what they want you to ride. Be it either a 1/8 ton pig with plenty of leftovers on the dealer floor or a seven year old 2 stroke if you can find a dealer that has one.

If Yamaha even had a clue, the YZ125 and 250 would have updated plastics and full shrouds over the tank. It's almost like they've been blinded by something....

"You'll ride what they want you to ride. "

I don't think so when there are 4 other manufacturers to choose from.

"It's almost like they've been blinded by something.... "

Perhaps from Stewart crashing, even Davi went down in a turn with a bump in it. I am beginning to wonder.
carlosmacho
5/9/2012 8:46am
mx510 wrote:
I just picked up a left over 2011, and so far I really like it. The motor is awesome, and the handling is quick and agile...
Yea but what do you consider the "average rider"? To me the average rider would be a beginner, I say this because on practice days and...
Yea but what do you consider the "average rider"? To me the average rider would be a beginner, I say this because on practice days and race days the beginner practices and races have the most entries and as you move up thru the classes the amount of riders goes down. 75-80% of those don't even have the bike setup right. So the bike probably does handle good for slower riders?
I'm not bashing the Yami by no means just wondering if their's a fine line between how the bike works based on rider skill.
I would hope this to be the case, but the bike has not changed and it is much heavier that previous models. They should do something about that.
carlosmacho
5/9/2012 8:48am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
They did last time when I told them to centralize mass and turn the engine backwards.. had I know it would turn into a pig. I wouldn't have told them to do that.
5/9/2012 9:21am
I think they need to do something with it.

The problem now is that, even if the bike is totally fine and the issues it has have been blown way out of proportion (this is likely to a certain extent)... the reputation it has now must surely be hurting Yamaha's sales. Look at the "Which 2012 450 would you have thread", small sample I know but I don't think anyone said the Yamaha. In reality the bike may be fine but so much of it is psychological and let's face it, if you're putting down thousands on what is for most of us a weekend toy, then you partly want to believe it's the best and that it's going to transform you as a rider.

I think a lot of people would warm to the bike if it wasn't so big (big as in wide). The Honda has arguably the most dodgy handling stock of any bike out there. But a lot of people have warmed to it because it's light and more importantly (I know the YAM is the 2nd lightest) feels light. As a result people from amateur level upwards have pooled their knowledge together over the last 3 years and gradually come up with the fixes that make the CRF perform significantly better.

If the bike doesn't sell in vast numbers then this process ^^^ will surely struggle to happen.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
5/9/2012 9:30am
I always go back to an article I read (I think by Matthes) about this possibly being a negative side effect of Yamaha pulling out from having a factory effort. He compared Honda and Yamaha, which both released all new bikes in the last 3 years which, at first, didn't work for the factory riders. Honda continued development while Yamaha farmed it out. 3 years later, the factory honda is arguably the best in the pits while the "factory" yamaha is hit or miss.

Now Suzuki is also pulling away from having a factory effort. Wonder if the factory Suzuki will see a similar lack of development progress as yamaha seems to be having.

Who knows. The Suzuki hasn't changed much since RC's days and 3 different riders have won outdoor championships on it, so Yoshimura already has a huge base to start from.
bullpen58
5/9/2012 9:37am
If only the YZ weighed as little as the featherweight KXF and RMZ. Those bikes are like bicycles with 400 horsepower.
SlowMoFo
5/9/2012 9:43am
Motodude wrote:
2015 YZ450; [img]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_AL7GK_3BsMM/TSwsMS8mvII/AAAAAAAAJEE/qz_wq_BTp60/s1600/2011-yamaha-world-crosser-concept-revealed-medium_2.jpg[/img]
2015 YZ450;
Me like!
4stroke4DWIN
5/9/2012 9:53am
Motodude wrote:
2015 YZ450; [img]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_AL7GK_3BsMM/TSwsMS8mvII/AAAAAAAAJEE/qz_wq_BTp60/s1600/2011-yamaha-world-crosser-concept-revealed-medium_2.jpg[/img]
2015 YZ450;
SlowMoFo wrote:
Me like!
Man I love those adventure based bikes, cruise down the highway and "oh look a trail lets see where it goes". Then back on the pavement.

Post a reply to: Yamaha needs a bike update on the 450?

The Latest