Yamaha in trouble.

mohammed
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 4:37pm
I read at racer x no factory yamaha team for sx/mx, what is your take on this? will other tactory teams follow? teams are going to be forced to get outside sponsors? which is a good thing i believe, but right now the sport could be in trouble because of the bad economy worldwide.
|
Cygnus
9/27/2009 9:34am Edited Date/Time 9/27/2009 9:38am
No shit Sherlock. They better up the pro purses or we will be seeing more than a few empty gates at the nationals.
j100
9/27/2009 9:36am
the factories need to follow in Yamaha's foot steps.

they should use some of the money they're saving by parking the team and funnel it into their amateur programs.

mohammed
9/27/2009 9:38am
j100 wrote:
the factories need to follow in Yamaha's foot steps. they should use some of the money they're saving by parking the team and funnel it into...

they should use some of the money they're saving by parking the team and funnel it into their amateur programs.

amauter program? what about there pro team?
Cygnus
9/27/2009 9:40am
Between Hill and Hepler. Yamaha really hasn't had a factory team the last two years anyway.

The Shop

j100
9/27/2009 9:42am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:23am
j100 wrote:
the factories need to follow in Yamaha's foot steps. they should use some of the money they're saving by parking the team and funnel it into...

mohammed wrote:
amauter program? what about there pro team?
if you haven't noticed, they have L&M, Gibbs, Star, Valli and now Motoconcepts.

5 teams on blue seems like they're well represented.
VMXdude
9/27/2009 9:45am
mohammed wrote:
I read at racer x no factory yamaha team for sx/mx, what is your take on this? will other tactory teams follow? teams are going to...
I read at racer x no factory yamaha team for sx/mx, what is your take on this? will other tactory teams follow? teams are going to be forced to get outside sponsors? which is a good thing i believe, but right now the sport could be in trouble because of the bad economy worldwide.
Yamaha US had a large layoff in March that affected a lot of people connected to the race team so this announcement just confirmed what many already knew.
9/27/2009 9:54am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:23am
This may be just the tip of the iceberg. There are few motorsports left that have real factory teams. You still see it in some sports car racing series because the factories use the race team for R&D they sell to the private teams. i.e. the factory effort is used to increase race parts sales. In MX, the benefits of a factory team may no longer exceed the costs. So it appears you will see a few more rigs getting parked over the next couple of years.

I would guess Yamaha will have a rig next to the Dunlop trailer in the back for team support.
flarider
9/27/2009 10:20am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:23am
Yamaha is doing the right thing and all the other OEM's should follow suit.
This will benefit more teams, riders and the sport as a whole.
Divvy up the funds spent on one factory team over three or four satellite teams and you create greater opportunity for more riders and more riders on more similar or like equipment.
It also spreads out the R&D capabilities as more riders are available for testing and even simultaneous testing under race conditions.
The salaries may be lower, because I think the million dollar salaries coming out of LL's days are coming to an end, but in the end, the racing will be better.

One would also hope it would end the biggest problem in the sport and what holds it back on TV, a lack of parity. It's always the same riders at the front and if more riders are on similar or equal equipment, more opportunities to win become available.

As for amateur, I wouldn't mind to see more support in it, but the time has come for some limitations and transparency on money sources/sponsors.
fcr
9/27/2009 10:38am
flarider wrote:
Yamaha is doing the right thing and all the other OEM's should follow suit. This will benefit more teams, riders and the sport as a whole...
Divvy up the funds spent on one factory team over three or four satellite teams and you create greater opportunity for more riders and more riders on more similar or like equipment.
It also spreads out the R&D capabilities as more riders are available for testing and even simultaneous testing under race conditions.
The salaries may be lower, because I think the million dollar salaries coming out of LL's days are coming to an end, but in the end, the racing will be better.

One would also hope it would end the biggest problem in the sport and what holds it back on TV, a lack of parity. It's always the same riders at the front and if more riders are on similar or equal equipment, more opportunities to win become available.

As for amateur, I wouldn't mind to see more support in it, but the time has come for some limitations and transparency on money sources/sponsors.
Agreed.
Dsigner
9/27/2009 10:39am
Everyone is hurting, people! Bike sales suck and factory race money goes away. Duh
jmc2
Fantasy
1679th
9/27/2009 10:49am
flarider wrote:
Yamaha is doing the right thing and all the other OEM's should follow suit. This will benefit more teams, riders and the sport as a whole...

Makes sense...
The next few years will be interesting...
newmann
9/27/2009 10:56am
Makes you wonder if it was any easier supplying little Jimmy Amateur with 22 two strokes and parts to get through the year versus 22 four strokes and parts. Maybe the cost of racing these sweet new rides hasn't just gotten out of hand for mom and dad. Contingency good, factory star amateurs not so good.
mohammed
9/27/2009 11:48am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:23am
flarider wrote:

Good point , and you also think it would make those satellites teams start looking for more outside sponsors? also whats is R&D?
Cygnus
9/27/2009 11:54am
reasearch and development.
9/27/2009 11:54am Edited Date/Time 9/27/2009 11:55am
flarider wrote:

mohammed wrote:
Good point , and you also think it would make those satellites teams start looking for more outside sponsors? also whats is R&D?
too late..
Holigan
9/27/2009 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:23am
Ripoff & Duplicate
Lightning78
9/27/2009 12:25pm
Holigan wrote:
Ripoff & Duplicate
Thats funny right there, wonder who will be the first to copy the new Yamaha if it proves to be as good as hinted. The big 4 do it all the time only this time it will be blatantly obvious.
Lightning78
9/27/2009 12:26pm
flarider wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself.....
newmann
9/27/2009 12:35pm
Thats funny right there, wonder who will be the first to copy the new Yamaha if it proves to be as good as hinted. The big...
Thats funny right there, wonder who will be the first to copy the new Yamaha if it proves to be as good as hinted. The big 4 do it all the time only this time it will be blatantly obvious.
Yamaha? Yes it is blatantly obvious that Yamaha copied someone elses work. Thank goodness Cannondale was forward thinking enough to point out all the flaws in that design so Yamaha would have an easy go at it over ten years later. Shocked
WORCSRacer
9/27/2009 1:33pm
newmann wrote:
Makes you wonder if it was any easier supplying little Jimmy Amateur with 22 two strokes and parts to get through the year versus 22 four...
Makes you wonder if it was any easier supplying little Jimmy Amateur with 22 two strokes and parts to get through the year versus 22 four strokes and parts. Maybe the cost of racing these sweet new rides hasn't just gotten out of hand for mom and dad. Contingency good, factory star amateurs not so good.
Maybe its time to get factory money out of amateur racing in general. Discounts are fine but free bikes, cash contingency and gear deals... ah no. To me it's pretty ridiculous that kids are getting factory supported deals at 12 years old period. Not only does it run the cost of racing up for the core of the sport, it encourages home schooling and a whole class of ingrates that expects the world to be handed to them. How many other sports is this done?
Xavier
9/27/2009 1:49pm
flarider wrote:

Wow, Motoclown shows up at Steel City and next thing you know, Yamaha (and Suzuki ?) pulls out of MX as a factory team !

She really had an impact, did'nt she ?

Just kidding, Dave, just kidding.

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
9/27/2009 1:59pm
Thats funny right there, wonder who will be the first to copy the new Yamaha if it proves to be as good as hinted. The big...
newmann wrote:
Yamaha? Yes it is blatantly obvious that Yamaha copied someone elses work. Thank goodness Cannondale was forward thinking enough to point out all the flaws in...
Yamaha? Yes it is blatantly obvious that Yamaha copied someone elses work. Thank goodness Cannondale was forward thinking enough to point out all the flaws in that design so Yamaha would have an easy go at it over ten years later. Shocked
Shhh, it's not "cool" to give credit to anyone but the Japanese.

Seriously, they're not the most innovative people/culture, but man alive are they good at refining/perfecting designs and ideas.
mosslander
9/27/2009 2:36pm
Development spred out and it will ends up that you make the bike by your self at home.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
9/27/2009 4:45pm
To respond to a couple of the points in here…

I think the subject line is more than a little misleading. Yamaha in trouble? I think the company is fine, but as others have noted, they’ve got some really good support teams now. We all have the passion for the sport (Yamaha included), and business decisions are hard to make and hard to do, but if they made a cut like that, I'm sure it's something they feel is necessary.

Raise the purses? Really? Pro purses have absolutely zero to do with whether factory teams exist or not.

Post a reply to: Yamaha in trouble.

The Latest