Yamaha YZ65

Related:
Create New Tag

9/15/2018 6:32 PM

Just wondering how the new bike did this year. Any major problems a person needs to know about. Looking at getting one this fall and wanted to know anything good or bad about them.

|

9/15/2018 8:28 PM

It's a solid bike and competitive with the KTM from what I understand. I was told by someone who had one and took a top 10 finish at Loretta's that it's a tad slower than the KTM but very capable. They also said the bottom end was the same at the 85, so it's beefy for a 65 and as solid as it gets.
If my kid were still in that class, I wouldn't hesitate to buy him one.

|

9/16/2018 1:24 PM

The dyno says its a hair better stock to stock - unless we got a lucky one. With
Minor work they have a good bit to go as well.

The mechanical powervalve is flat out better

Forks are light years better
And the rest is about to be expected for the price - so so

Pick your favorite color and go race...they are on par

|

9/16/2018 4:03 PM

Motor bolts straight into YZ85 frame. Brakes are bigger, lot of interchangeability with 85. MXA latest issue has a write up on it and compares it to KTM65 and gives it the nod over KTM.
So far only gripe with ours is frame paint is very ordinary.

|

9/16/2018 4:09 PM

Richard Tease II wrote:

Motor bolts straight into YZ85 frame. Brakes are bigger, lot of interchangeability with 85. MXA latest issue has a write up on ...more

So this means the 85 motor will bolt in the 65 frame? Interesting...

|

9/16/2018 5:07 PM

Richard Tease II wrote:

Motor bolts straight into YZ85 frame. Brakes are bigger, lot of interchangeability with 85. MXA latest issue has a write up on ...more

Sheriff245 wrote:

Since they use the same bottom end. The cylinder should swap right over?

|

9/16/2018 6:52 PM

Richard Tease II wrote:

Sheriff245 wrote:

Not sure it sounds like it should. An English moto website did a review on it that’s where i got the info from he didn’t mention it going the other way.

|

9/16/2018 11:19 PM

Great bikes, lot's of versatility to fit many different size riders, great suspension. The only downfall I've actually seen is that everyone jumped on making pipes etc but no one had sprockets yet, you could have made some $$ at Mammoth for all the people struggling with gearing.

My kid loved the bike though.

|

10/9/2018 8:31 PM

About to pull the trigger on 1 of these. I'm having a tough time deciding between the Husky and the Yamaha. My boy is only 7 and right now we're still going to be running TC50:s for 2 more years but I figured might as well get him going early with clutch and gears. I've only seen 1 kid at our local tracks and he swears to like it better than his Husky. Others that have rode both claim stock for stock the YZ is faster. The only thing I really care about is how these bikes stock up. Price really doesn't matter I can get a Husky cheaper OTD.

|

10/9/2018 8:39 PM

For your intended purpose throw him on a used KX65 for $1000. That way if he's really hard on clutches or gearboxes while learning the ropes it won't be financially painful. Plus, on the off chance there are changes made to the other 65's over the next two years you won't be kicking yourself.

|

10/9/2018 8:40 PM

you wont go wrong

If I were a betting man - I'd say expect to see an all new ktm/husky 65 engine soon. Until then - the yz is more than competitive

|

10/9/2018 9:28 PM

Richard Tease II wrote:

It using most of the 85 motor and tranny seems like it would have alot of excess weigh for a 65 or am I missing something? I get the pros of it like cutting production and development time and cost, parts are easier to supply and what not But it's really just Yamaha cutting corners. imagine if ktms 350 was just a sleeved down 450 but otherwise identical bike, that wouldn't make any sense to buy without it being lighter and more nimble. You wouldn't want an all new Yz125 if it was just a big bike with a bored out yz85 engine in it. I don't know it's just a thought, I'm a Yamaha fan and I would have had to have one regardless if I was that age. It just seems like I'd been much more enthusiastic about an all new motor or even an exact copy where everything's a lightweight scaled down version.

|