btn
btn
1 of 2
Related:
Create New Tag
Hrzk75 Hrzk75
1/8/2019 7:51 AM

Hey first post here and im looking to buy my brand new bike for the first time this year, and im pretty sure it will be the yamaha 250F.

What slip on would be the best? any from FMF or the akrapovic one?

What one do you guys think sound the best, and perform the best?

Also if you have any input about the new yamaha feel free to leave them! smile

Meister Meister
1/8/2019 7:59 AM

First bike? Or first brand new bike?

First bike = leave it stock.

First brand new bike = I'd leave it stock or put an fmf on it.

Hrzk75 Hrzk75
1/8/2019 8:04 AM

no not first bike, should have made it more clear. will be the first time i purchase a brand new.

i dont really like the barky sound on top rpms with the stock and i think it will be too loud here and wont pass for the race inspection

ML512 ML512
1/8/2019 8:09 AM

Yoshimura, just tested their RS-4 for it yesterday and was pretty impressed. Most of the gains are for roll-on torque feel. The stock 19 has more mid-to-top than the 18 but it developed sort of a flat spot on the bottom when compared to the older model. I felt the Yoshimura system filled that soft/flat spot, making it easier to ride in ruts. Stock has a sharp hit in the mid range, making the bike lurch a bit. With the improved bottom it pulls into the mid range cleaner.

Hrzk75 Hrzk75
1/8/2019 8:21 AM

ah cool, totaly forgot about yoshimura! thx for the more detailed asnwer michael.

Do you guys test Akrapovic pipes in the usa? rarely see them in reviews

752dad 752dad
1/8/2019 8:52 AM
ML512 wrote:

Yoshimura, just tested ...more

ML, How was the sound? The Yamaha is raspy stock and gets worse with time.
We have 25 hours on ours with zero issues.

KC

Hrzk75 Hrzk75
1/8/2019 8:58 AM
752dad wrote:

ML, How was the sound? The ...more

you got 25 hours with the stock or an aftermarket one?

foreman52 foreman52
1/8/2019 9:27 AM

If they’re anything like the 2018 YZ450F you’ll want a spare starter clutch kicking around. I had a RS4 on my 16 and 17 YZ250F...never noticed a lick of difference in power. However, it was worth the grand for the sound over the stock pipe. Never put a pipe on my 18 YZ450F but the sound was crisp and didn’t sound like a dying dog. I would do your homework before buying the Yami. I had valve problems with my 250’s and a never ending list with my 450. You can say that my next bike will not be blue.

I know they keep winning the shoot outs but those results are based on a few hours of riding on the bike. Give all the testers each brand and let them put 20-30 hours on them each and that would be a true test. Yamaha has some great advacement and technology but I learned the hard way that more goodies means more things parts to replace.

Derek Harris Derek Harris
1/8/2019 9:35 AM

Since the switch to the 4v in 2014 - the 250f hasn't been any more reliable than other bikes (in fact far worse in 14-15)

I've also had a couple come through brand new that the seats and guides were not cocentric by a HUGE margin (no clue how that's possible with how they are normally machined)

However - all in all - they are still a good bike - but IMHO no longer the "most reliable" what so ever.
just re read - and didn't address the question!

Sorry - If you hate the sound - buy a slip on.

But otherwise most slip on's for the yzf make it worse or no change.

Hrzk75 Hrzk75
1/8/2019 9:57 AM

my last fourstroke was a honda -12 and i can say im never going red again after that one. Been forth and back between getting a ktm or yamaha but i most have spent 20-30 hours reading upon the bikes and the yamaha looks promising, never owned one but always liked them. the suspension is prob the best selling point for me.

All bikes can last 100 hours without break and all bikes can break after 10 hours..guess i will see if this is a good decision or not.

What kind of valve problems did you have? been on two strokes for a while because i got tired of the the valves etc hehe

HenryA HenryA
1/8/2019 10:17 AM

Well one thing to consider is that the Yoshimura looks like a boat anchor compared to the Akrapovic/FMF.

Photo

Photo

Photo

KX125

Motofinne Motofinne
1/8/2019 10:21 AM

Are you racing in Sweden? Akrapovic is one of the quietest exhaust out there so that is a big +. FMF on the other hand one of the loudest.

That is something that you should consider if you have to get under the sound regulations.

Current fleet of two wheeled vehicles:
- KTM SX 250 2020
- Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7 track spec
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 2018 Downhill
- Canyon Spectral:ON 7.0 2019 EMTB
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

Hrzk75 Hrzk75
1/8/2019 10:50 AM

haha yeah indeed i dont like the yoshi style to much, akrapovic one looks slim!

Motofinne: yeah im going to race for my club this year in sweden, some places got 110 db limit and if i watch stats for the mufflers they are all above the 115db mark. will prob end up with the akrapovic even if i like the louder sounds a little more. if im not wrong the akrapovic is alone to be quiter than the stock?

Spooner Spooner
1/8/2019 10:55 AM
ML512 wrote:

Does that improvement only occur when riding without a shirt?

grunkster grunkster
1/8/2019 12:48 PM

hey Michael did you also try a dubach muffler? thoughts?

sesker15 sesker15
1/8/2019 1:21 PM
ML512 wrote:

Did you test the full system or just the slip on?

foreman52 foreman52
1/8/2019 1:25 PM
joe846 joe846
1/8/2019 2:11 PM

Dr D. Shorter than stock, works well (I have the slip-on on my 19) and lightly helps power curve throughout. I think Keefer gave it a review.

Cheaper than competitors, lighter than stock, works well. All good.

ML512 ML512
1/8/2019 2:24 PM
ML512 wrote:

sesker15 wrote:

Did you test the full ...more

Full system.

mxracerjohn250 mxracerjohn250
1/8/2019 5:16 PM

Star racing obviously helps develop and uses FMF on their 250s. The factory 450 Yamaha guys use Pro Circuit

Motofinne Motofinne
1/9/2019 3:03 AM
mxracerjohn250 wrote:

Star racing obviously ...more

GP team uses Akrapovic. In fact, Akrapovic is the exhaust system that you find on Yamahas accessories page for the bikes (at least in Europe).

Current fleet of two wheeled vehicles:
- KTM SX 250 2020
- Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7 track spec
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 2018 Downhill
- Canyon Spectral:ON 7.0 2019 EMTB
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

Brentyancich Brentyancich
1/9/2019 4:37 AM

Fit and finish of pro circuit is noticeably better when compared to fmf . It's almost like debating best Chevy vs Ford. Coke vs Sprite , Exxon vs Shell etc.

kevin.decker.125 kevin.decker.125
1/9/2019 4:56 AM

Not a 2019, and who doesn't know that you put grease around the base of where the air filter seals to the airbox? Been doing that since 1971. He clearly states he sucked sand in and that's what destroyed the valves so not sure what the point of posting this video in this thread was?

foreman52 foreman52
1/9/2019 8:40 AM
foreman52 wrote: ">
kevin.decker.125 wrote:

Not a 2019, and who ...more

He asked "any input about the new bike". I responded to both the pipe and my experience with my last three years on Yamaha's. I had valves problems with my 16 and 17 250f's and as well with my 18 450f which now the 2019 250f is the same as.

I've heard great stories on the new bikes and horror stories. Last season both myself and another rider had to put new motors in our 18's. We also had starter clutch problems and valve issues. My only point was to look into more information instead of basing your decision off of the shoot out where the riders only get a short period on the bike. My 18 cost me half of what it was worth out the door last season in repairs along with missing half the season. My two 250's ate valves for breakfast and I'm not the only one that had that issue.

Hrzk75 Hrzk75
1/9/2019 10:26 AM
foreman52 wrote: ">
kevin.decker.125 wrote:

foreman52 wrote:

He asked "any input about ...more

have you taken care of the airfilter properly to prevent valve damage? like greasing the part that makes contact to the airbox? what is your skill level, if you ride on top of the motor all the time?

Or is this something you have contacted yamaha about and got clearified it is a design fault with the valves etc? just wanna know more of your case here

foreman52 foreman52
1/9/2019 11:26 AM
kevin.decker.125 wrote:

foreman52 wrote:

He asked "any input about ...more

Hrzk75 wrote:

have you taken care of the ...more

Filter changed every ride, lube on the filters flaps, Canadian pro, high reeving. However, with that being said the two worst bikes I ever seen were a 16 and 17 bought by two C class riders at the same dealership I bought mine from. They both went through the valves in 6 hours.

The dealer fought tooth and nail for myself, and the two other riders but Yamaha wouldn't compensate at all (2017).

The dealer did everything possible (including stripping a brand new motor from a showroom bike) and put it in my 18 when I had my engine problems with my this year. Yamaha F'ed the dog a bunch and eventually didn't do anything. The dealer ate up a lot of the cost but also left me with over a 2K bill when it should of all been compensated from Yamaha.

I've had pretty much a new bike my entire life starting from 50's in 2001. I had Yamaha's through 06-09 and they were the most reliable bikes I've ever had. I switched to Suzuki from 10-15 and than back to Yamaha from 16-18.

I've witness way faster riders than me and way slower riders than me have no issues at all. There just seems to be a lot of lemons out there. This could be the best bike you ever have...all I'm trying to do here is warn you with the experiences I had. I loved the feel of the bike (personally liked the older 14-18 250f's) feel better but I know their new design was to cater more to smaller riders where I am over 6 foot.

Wish you the best man!

Timo_2824 Timo_2824
1/9/2019 11:55 AM
foreman52 wrote:

If they’re anything like ...more

I've had zero issues with my 19 450FX.

Hrzk75 Hrzk75
1/9/2019 12:04 PM
foreman52 wrote:

Filter changed every ride, ...more

sounds like some real bad luck there mate, maybe they got a problem they wont admit to and change that for ´20..

i got a brand new Case with everything new except gearbox and rod for my KTM 250 -17 after the kickstarter snapped on the inside from the case..but ktm took it all on them wich was cool.

Im sure it affect your thought about bikes when your and friends bike just break. if i ever end up with some valve problems when i get the yamaha i will for sure bring up your case aswell and try show them that there is a factory fault, if that ever would happen..

Sounds real shady by yamaha to not fix your engine..bad publicity aswell. Do you run stock valves or steel? stock is still titanium i guess?

im also over 6 foot, have you tried other brands to see if they fit tall riders more? do you find the new chassi modell harder to ride as a tall rider?

Myke Myke
1/9/2019 1:42 PM

Yosh makes me think Honda, seems out of place on a Yamaha, not sure why.

Maybe FMF will come out with a new spec pipe for the '19 that will work better than stock. I love the blue tinted can.

"Who cares about what other people think"

mattyhamz2 mattyhamz2
1/9/2019 1:54 PM
foreman52 wrote:

If they’re anything like ...more

I know you had bad luck/experiences, but of all the guys I know with YZ450's and 250F's, I've never known any of them to have issues other than issues from lack of maintenance. Myself included. Most of those bikes had way over 100 hours and some over 200. Sounds like you just happened to get a bad hand. I'm not saying they don't have issues because every brand does, but it sounds like you got unlucky a few times. Maybe start playing the lottery? tongue

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

btn
btn
1 of 2

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry