Yamaha YZ 250 or KTM 250 SX?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/18/2020 1:51 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and wanted to ask all the "experts."
I currently have a 2017 KTM 350 SX-F, it's been a great bike so far but I have the itch to try something different.
I've been on 4-strokes since I first got on a big bike when I turned 14 (I'm 25 now).
I don't race, I just like to ride for fun. I only ride tracks, no trail riding whatsoever but that might change as I get older. I'm close to 200 lbs with gear on so a 125 and 150 is out of the question.
I guess I'm a pretty quick rider with a conservative riding style I don't do a lot of over revving.

A 2 stroke is enticing because of the "fun factor" as well as the peace of mind that catastrophic failure is a cheap fix in comparison to a thumper.

So, what do you think? Should I pick up a new Yamaha 250 or KTM 250 smoker? A used YZ 250? Or wait for KTM models to come out with new motocross models with TPI technology? What can you tell me about the pros and cons of each bike?

Any help would be super appreciated.
Thanks guys!

|

10/18/2020 2:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/18/2020 2:01 PM

I was literally in the same boat, only four strokes since my first "big" bike when I was 14 and I'm 29 now. Sold my 450 for a used 2018 YZ250 back in March, put a 9 oz. flywheel weight on it and asked myself why I hadn't done it sooner.

I think you'll have a blast either way you go, I went with a used YZ250 because I probably couldn't point out the pros and cons from either anyways, having never ridden a two stroke. They're also a little cheaper and continue to hold their value pretty well, so if you find out a two stroke isn't for you, you can turn around and sell it for probably as much as you bought it for.

|

10/18/2020 2:02 PM

If I was only riding for fun and not racing I’d probably get the yz. It’s cheaper, has good suspension. Has been the same for 14 years so there are probably used parts all over. That being said I’ve never actually ridden a yz.
TBH I recently went from ktm 250 smoker to a 350 and the fun factor went up big time for me. No more arm pump, easier to ride, and I’m going so much faster.

|

10/18/2020 2:03 PM

thatswhathappens wrote:

I was literally in the same boat, only four strokes since my first "big" bike when I was 14 and I'm 29 now. Sold my 450 for a ...more

Thanks for the input. I think I would like a two-stroke because I've ridden a friend's 125 a couple of times and I absolutely loved it, so much fun! Should I just buy a used YZ then?

|

10/18/2020 2:03 PM

I’d go with the KTM because it’s 15 years newer.

|

10/18/2020 2:12 PM

ktmdan wrote:

If I was only riding for fun and not racing I’d probably get the yz. It’s cheaper, has good suspension. Has been the same for ...more

Interesting. I'm doing the opposite.
I guess you're right about the YZ, good suspension is a big deal for me.

|

10/18/2020 2:13 PM

thatswhathappens wrote:

I was literally in the same boat, only four strokes since my first "big" bike when I was 14 and I'm 29 now. Sold my 450 for a ...more

Cayden Thompson wrote:

Thanks for the input. I think I would like a two-stroke because I've ridden a friend's 125 a couple of times and I absolutely ...more

I was in same boat. I'm keeping the 4 stroke and finding a used 125 to bust out on days I want to feel like a god.

|

10/18/2020 2:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/18/2020 2:17 PM

This comes up often and gets some very polarizing opinions. Some long term YZ guys have moved on to the KTM and say it’s way better, some didn’t like it and went back to Yamaha. Try to ride both and form your own conclusion.

|

10/18/2020 2:17 PM

2021 Husqvarna TX300i

Why?

It's the funnest smoker I've ever ridden.

|

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals. I get my back into my living. I don't need to fight, to prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven.

10/18/2020 2:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/18/2020 2:22 PM

thatswhathappens wrote:

Cayden Thompson wrote:

Thanks for the input. I think I would like a two-stroke because I've ridden a friend's 125 a couple of times and I absolutely ...more

Depends on what you're doing with it and what your budget is. I ride for fun, so a YZ250 is plenty for me. But as T-Fish said, it's 15 year old tech since its been the same bike since 2006. If you're more serious about racing, you'll probably find a lot of people steering you toward the 250SX. You honestly couldn't go wrong either way, you're going to have a blast with either, trust me.

|

10/18/2020 2:44 PM

Had both. Go with the YZ. Especially since you can get a slightly used one for a good price.

|

10/18/2020 2:58 PM

nytsmaC wrote:

This comes up often and gets some very polarizing opinions. Some long term YZ guys have moved on to the KTM and say it’s way ...more

You're 100% right and the fans of each bike are almost equally divided. The op said hes riding a ktm350 which is why I think he might feel more at home on another ktm, the 250sx.

Me personally, I'd give a slight nod to the yz bec the suspension is so good even bone stock that its criminal! Try as you might, itll take some time testing dedication and money to get the ktm suspension at the level of the stock yz....that's my opinion but I haven't ridden the newer ktm aer stuff but I know any time I ride any friends yamaha I am so jealous of how good that SSS stuff is. The yz engine is great, some complain about dated egros, the ktm brakes are better for sure and personally I like a more classic 2 stroke hit which the KTM250sx is more tractable like a 4 stroke.

I think you should at least find a yz250 to try out bec most of the ktm traits you're already used to except the effect of a 2 stroke engine.

|

10/18/2020 3:38 PM

mxbrian15 wrote:

Had both. Go with the YZ. Especially since you can get a slightly used one for a good price.

Is go for the YZ as well. I just picked up a yz250f based on the suspension mainly, I loved my TC250 but I could never make the WP stuff work for me

|

10/18/2020 3:44 PM

I would rather deal with the ktm aer forks than the inferior YZ transmission gears, weak clutch components and weak brakes.

|

10/18/2020 4:04 PM

The yz is good, but I think the ktm with the counter balance set up is the way to go, the wp suspension is good also, the kyb is real good, i own a yz and had never had a problem with the transmission or clutch, the front brake is no where near the ktm. Ride each one and go from there.

|

10/18/2020 4:12 PM

Ktm is faster, lighter, better brakes and more adjustable. Seems like a no brainer.

|

10/18/2020 4:21 PM

Used YZ250 prices are a joke right now

|

If it can't be fixed with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.

10/18/2020 4:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/18/2020 4:35 PM

The YZ 250 has a very good engine, very good suspension, and decent handling. Also has lots of used parts and aftermarket support. Setting one of these up should be a piece of cake.

The 250SX has a good engine, good suspension, and very good handling. It also has a counterbalanced engine which is really fantastic. When tuned and setup to your liking, it’s very good in all categories.

If you’re on a budget, I’d buy a used YZ250, rebuild it, and setup for your use.

If budget isn’t as much of a concern, I’d buy a 2019+ KTM or Husky and setup for your use. Get some spring forks and the jetting dialed and it will be a great bike.

Edit: I like the feel of the Husqvarna over the KTM on the 2016+ models. Had a 2019 KTM 450 (sold) and now a 2019 Husky FC350. Husky feels better. Also like my 17 TC250 over my buddy’s 17 250SX.

|

10/18/2020 4:36 PM

Cayden Thompson wrote:

Hey everyone,

I currently have a 2017 KTM 350 SX-F, it's been a great ...more

Forget the TPI, the beauty of smokers is the simplicity.

Since you ride a variety of terrain, I would go KTM, since you have infinite adjustment via the air forks. If you set up your KYB's for say mx at an intermediate level, they will beat the shit out of you when you go and ride rocky terrain, etc.

The KTM also has a better motor and brakes, and is just set up better out of the box.

I owned and raced half a dozen YZ's and only one SX, and had good luck w both, but still the nod goes to the KTM.

|

10/18/2020 5:25 PM

The suspension on the Yamaha is soooo good that would be my choice and I’ve been on both. If you need more oomph out of the Yamaha ( no doubt it’s a bit less than the orange bike ) that’s pretty easy to get. I was really shocked how good the Yamaha is.

|

10/18/2020 6:45 PM

Ktm.
More powerful motor
Sharper handling
Stronger brakes
Less Vibration
Better rider ergos (without the silly radiator shrouds on the YZ that don't cover the tank)
Superior clutch
Lighter

|

10/18/2020 7:03 PM

YZ! Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket... In my opinion you should look for a lightly used Yz from 2006 to now.. I picked up a clean 2009 last year for $2900, but definitely a bit harder to find the deals these days.

|

10/18/2020 7:50 PM

You need to buy both so this question can finally be answered.

|

10/18/2020 7:59 PM

huutnanny wrote:

You need to buy both so this question can finally be answered.

Best answer yet

|

10/18/2020 8:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/18/2020 8:27 PM

That’s one way to do it if it’s within your means. Buy a low hour recent year model of each, spend the time to set them both up for you, and sell the one that you like less for the same price you paid for it. Hell, sell them both and then buy a new version of the one that you preferred. Buying a clapped out, highly modified or set up poorly example isn’t going to give you the insight though, it’d have to be low hour and stock.

|

10/18/2020 8:31 PM

KTM/Husky 250s have more mid range hp, the yz has more top end power (both in stock trim). Some people dont like the AER, I couldnt like them. Id get them okay in some areas and other areas they wouldnt work. Its hard getting a SFF fork to work in most areas. CB 2T engines are sweet.

|

Gone:
2006 CRF230F
2008 KTM 200 XC
2017 KTM 250 SX
2019 CRF250R
Current: 2021 YZ250F

10/18/2020 8:39 PM

I've had a few YZs over the years and they're great bikes but my TC 250 was a better bike overall, even with air forks. If I did it again it'd be an Austrian bike for sure.

|

10/18/2020 9:04 PM

I’ve had both. The Yz is a great bike overall yet the KTM is easily better.

|

10/18/2020 10:05 PM

Cayden Thompson wrote:

Hey everyone,

I currently have a 2017 KTM 350 SX-F, it's been a great ...more

Was in the same Situation like you last year. After riding 125/150 Two Stroke for 20 years i want a bigger bike but was struggling between 350SXF and 250SX.
I read a lot of reviews and Tests over the hard hitting 250SX and so i take the 350SXF last September.

I liked the 350 it was easy to ride, enough power but for me as long time Two Stroke Rider i felt it was to heavy and i want another smoker.

So i think lets try a 250 SX and then i found a 250 with a 300Kit . Beliefe it or not but in my opinion this is the perfect two Stroke.
Expected a Monster but you can ride it like a 4 Stroke.

This is just my opinion but if you want an easy to ride Two Stroke look for a 300SX

This is mine
Photo

|

10/18/2020 11:08 PM

Yz250 owner here. When I bought my bike I bought it based on me being over 30 and my joints starting to age and everyone raved about the suspension on the YZ. A couple weekends ago I rode an 18 450sxf that had the suspension set up for someone around 10kgs heavier than me. The track I rode did not have any big jumps but there were a lot of small chattery braking bumps and that bike handled them very well. It also railed corners so much better than my yz. That got me thinking that if the 450 can handle and turn like that than the 250sx would be awesome and may just be my next bike

|