Yamaha,Suzuki, Kawasaki Factory Edition?

Superdave19
2/19/2020 5:53pm
I don't understand the factory edition appeal. - corny red bull graphics and a slip on? for 10-12k? What am I missing here? Most of the...
I don't understand the factory edition appeal. - corny red bull graphics and a slip on?

for 10-12k? What am I missing here?

Most of the factory edition owners I see are well off vet guys.
...and triple clamps, seat cover. Clutch cover for bling. If I were in the market for a KTM or Husky, I’d do one, cuz I do this stuff anyway
CASH476
2/19/2020 6:17pm
I don't understand the factory edition appeal. - corny red bull graphics and a slip on? for 10-12k? What am I missing here? Most of the...
I don't understand the factory edition appeal. - corny red bull graphics and a slip on?

for 10-12k? What am I missing here?

Most of the factory edition owners I see are well off vet guys.
Brent wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen a local pro or fast guy on an FE around here, but the Fox Raceway Vet track is littered with...
I don't think I've ever seen a local pro or fast guy on an FE around here, but the Fox Raceway Vet track is littered with FE Garage Queens on the weekends...
If they are being ridden on the weekends, how are they garage queens? Whistling
Alex.434
2/19/2020 6:31pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 6:37pm
You have to understand the Japanese first. The mentality and etiquette of the Japanese is apparent across many of their business decisions. For any of us that have worked at the high levels of the US OEM distributors, there are plenty of anecdotes about this. Many times the 'special editions' of Japanese OEM bikes come after a hard push from the US distributor to get them.. not always, but often. Other times it only happens due to a racing need, like a homologation special.

The street bike market has long known Special Editions sell. For instance you can by the 1) Base model 2) the S model and then 3) the R model of most Ducati super bikes. The R model being a VERY trick bike. Many of the European based OEMs do this. KTM, Aprillia, Ducati, BMW, MV Agusta, etc.

On the Japanese side though you see it far less, thou Yamaha and Honda have the R1 base and R1M models and the CBR1000RR and the CBR1000RR SP2 edition.

I'm a marketing professional and I love special edition bikes. Consumers like buying them and they are great to generate press and excitement out in the market. They also hold their value better and are more collectible.

"Vet riders" buying these bikes is fantastic btw. Almost all of us 'vet guys' with nice bikes came up as young guys riding in hand-me-down gear, on whooped out bikes, and having covered our walls with Moto posters. I'm 41 now and can afford to build a bike far far tricker than my skill level, and you know what, I am, because I DREAMT, every night, of one day riding an awesome bike as I repaired my broken down 17 year old $400 XR75, again and again.

Every day when I swing a leg over my bike I get pumped, because I never imagined I'd own such a cool dirt bike.

Never forget that.
H4L
2/19/2020 7:38pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 7:44pm
Alex.434 wrote:
You have to understand the Japanese first. The mentality and etiquette of the Japanese is apparent across many of their business decisions. For any of us...
You have to understand the Japanese first. The mentality and etiquette of the Japanese is apparent across many of their business decisions. For any of us that have worked at the high levels of the US OEM distributors, there are plenty of anecdotes about this. Many times the 'special editions' of Japanese OEM bikes come after a hard push from the US distributor to get them.. not always, but often. Other times it only happens due to a racing need, like a homologation special.

The street bike market has long known Special Editions sell. For instance you can by the 1) Base model 2) the S model and then 3) the R model of most Ducati super bikes. The R model being a VERY trick bike. Many of the European based OEMs do this. KTM, Aprillia, Ducati, BMW, MV Agusta, etc.

On the Japanese side though you see it far less, thou Yamaha and Honda have the R1 base and R1M models and the CBR1000RR and the CBR1000RR SP2 edition.

I'm a marketing professional and I love special edition bikes. Consumers like buying them and they are great to generate press and excitement out in the market. They also hold their value better and are more collectible.

"Vet riders" buying these bikes is fantastic btw. Almost all of us 'vet guys' with nice bikes came up as young guys riding in hand-me-down gear, on whooped out bikes, and having covered our walls with Moto posters. I'm 41 now and can afford to build a bike far far tricker than my skill level, and you know what, I am, because I DREAMT, every night, of one day riding an awesome bike as I repaired my broken down 17 year old $400 XR75, again and again.

Every day when I swing a leg over my bike I get pumped, because I never imagined I'd own such a cool dirt bike.

Never forget that.
Well said.. I can relate to your last paragraph about "vet riders". Never be able to ride this bike to its potential, but I can finally afford a trick bike after busting my tail for many yrs. working. I feel like I've earned it for sure..

The Shop

Post a reply to: Yamaha,Suzuki, Kawasaki Factory Edition?

The Latest