Yamaha Star racing 250f

ryanxmx31
Edited Date/Time 9/13/2020 8:37pm
After watching red bud , and pretty much all the star 250f riders were doing the larocco leap. What are they doing to get that extra power? Is it the reversed motor in the yamaha? And what are the other mfs going to do to match them?
|
Zycki11
9/9/2020 4:32pm
ryanxmx31 wrote:
After watching red bud , and pretty much all the star 250f riders were doing the larocco leap. What are they doing to get that extra...
After watching red bud , and pretty much all the star 250f riders were doing the larocco leap. What are they doing to get that extra power? Is it the reversed motor in the yamaha? And what are the other mfs going to do to match them?
Just wait until they go to the finger follower design as well. Holy macaroons
aeffertz
9/9/2020 4:39pm
Intake in front, exhaust out back.
skeef
Fantasy
1407th
9/9/2020 4:41pm
Are you implying that the Suzuki isn't a good bike? Alright boys have at em'.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
9/9/2020 6:35pm
ryanxmx31 wrote:
After watching red bud , and pretty much all the star 250f riders were doing the larocco leap. What are they doing to get that extra...
Nothing anyone can do until they decide to run a front intake.

The Shop

Lightning78
9/9/2020 8:26pm
ryanxmx31 wrote:
UpTiTe wrote:
The straight downdraft design Honda is using cannot be made effective enough with the right engine design to make yamaha style hp numbers?

Last time I was at a dealership I looked at the Yamaha Front intake if that cylinder was turned around with the same exact intake set up and the rest of the motorcycle designed around it shock included to where the Herb ox was in the exact same location but drawing air from them back going in like a conventional setup could it not make the same kind of horsepower numbers? Or is it all about the foot intake just because of that reason?
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2591st
9/9/2020 8:47pm
ill never understand why other production bikes don't have air intake at the front.
or why it wasn't done prior.
tek14
9/9/2020 8:48pm
ryanxmx31 wrote:
UpTiTe wrote:
The straight downdraft design Honda is using cannot be made effective enough with the right engine design to make yamaha style hp numbers? Last time I...
The straight downdraft design Honda is using cannot be made effective enough with the right engine design to make yamaha style hp numbers?

Last time I was at a dealership I looked at the Yamaha Front intake if that cylinder was turned around with the same exact intake set up and the rest of the motorcycle designed around it shock included to where the Herb ox was in the exact same location but drawing air from them back going in like a conventional setup could it not make the same kind of horsepower numbers? Or is it all about the foot intake just because of that reason?
If you put both motors on dyno without motorcycle and mount Yamaha intake on Honda(Kawasaki/Suzuki) motor they should make same power?
If you watch MXGP those old kickstart Kawasakis are pretty much even with Factory KTM/Husky/Yamahas. There are not any real Factory Honda teams out now.
PTshox
9/9/2020 9:49pm
ryanxmx31 wrote:
UpTiTe wrote:
The straight downdraft design Honda is using cannot be made effective enough with the right engine design to make yamaha style hp numbers? Last time I...

English.... Can you please translate the above to modern english. Pretty please!
9/9/2020 9:53pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2020 10:15pm
UpTiTe wrote:

tek14 wrote:
If you put both motors on dyno without motorcycle and mount Yamaha intake on Honda(Kawasaki/Suzuki) motor they should make same power? If you watch MXGP those...
If you put both motors on dyno without motorcycle and mount Yamaha intake on Honda(Kawasaki/Suzuki) motor they should make same power?
If you watch MXGP those old kickstart Kawasakis are pretty much even with Factory KTM/Husky/Yamahas. There are not any real Factory Honda teams out now.
Not that I think the intake is the magic bullet, but you can't just bolt on a Yamaha intake to other makes and expect a difference even outside the chassis. The whole cylinder/engine is designed around that downdraft design. Other makes are getting close to replicating it in their particular designs, but it is still the most "straight-forward" (pardon the pun) in this regard
NoonMoon
9/10/2020 1:33am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2020 1:35am
So much dumb in here!!
Dumber comment without explaining why you think so.

Dirty Points hit the nail on the head: it's an integrated design with obviously good detail work.
9/10/2020 5:00am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2020 5:01am
Placebo effect. Pretty sure I saw A.Mart hit it when he felt it was worth the use of energy and his bike ain’t blue.
resetjet
9/10/2020 5:46am
There is no one reason. Its just a good package. Stock yamaha is less hp then ktm. Star just really has gotten that bike down.
9/10/2020 6:18am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2020 6:18am
Pretty sure all the factory guys could hit it no problem. I think what it comes down to is on the 250s you have to go outside and be clean and you dont save a ton of time (If any??) over hitting the inside and just doubling instead. Look how much time Masterpool lost when he messed the outside up, though Martian was charging anyways.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
9/10/2020 6:36am
ill never understand why other production bikes don't have air intake at the front.
It was done prior, by Cannondale.

My opinion, the front intake setup is beneficial for power production but compromises the layout and ergonomics of the bike. Not a big deal on a 250F where power is king but doesn't appear to be helping the YZ450. And it's definitely not helping everyone who can't gel with the bikes just being too big.

I suspect in the future we will see other brands doing setups similar to what you see on road sport bikes. Essentially, swap the locations of the airbox and the tank. You can still have the intake in the rear of the head but you can make it very straight and downdraft by putting the throttle body and airbox on top of the engine and placing the tank back under the seat.
Zycki11
9/10/2020 6:43am
resetjet wrote:
There is no one reason. Its just a good package. Stock yamaha is less hp then ktm. Star just really has gotten that bike down.
Stock doesn’t mean a thing. Substitute Suzuki and JGR. Alex hit the leap. My point is that Yamaha has a great design. They could easily bump stock HP if they wanted to for production. Hell, if you put the twin air power flow kit on it’s worth 1.2 HP alone.
nskerb
9/10/2020 8:20am
Here is my opinion (that probably nobody cares about)

It’s more than just the engine. Any bike manufacturer or engine builder for that matter can make a 250 that fast. It’s more of a problem with reliability. Whatever is going on with the architecture of the Yamaha 250f engine allows them to produce a certain power level with high confidence in its reliability. This is a result of starting with a good platform that was designed and produced by Yamaha. Between the guys at Yamaha doing their job good, and the guys at Star doing their job good. They can produce an engine that is reliably really fast. I’m sure the guys at geico can build an engine every bit as fast as star’s guys. But the platform they are given to work with may lend itself to be less reliable at the desired power.

Anything can be done pretty easy until money is a factor. You want it light, you want it fast, you want it durable, you want it cheap. Pick 3.
Zycki11
9/10/2020 9:06am
Similar to 125’s every OEM can make a bike fast. But not every manufacturer can make a bike fast that has usable power and a wide range of it.
Handy_andy_85
Fantasy
1353rd
9/10/2020 9:57am
Zycki11 wrote:
Similar to 125’s every OEM can make a bike fast. But not every manufacturer can make a bike fast that has usable power and a wide...
Similar to 125’s every OEM can make a bike fast. But not every manufacturer can make a bike fast that has usable power and a wide range of it.
And can make one that lasts 30+2 in heat, mud, etc
twotwosix
9/10/2020 10:20am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2020 10:20am
Star has those bikes cranked up to 11. The compression and rev limit is wild on the works 250s these days is so massively impressive.

I know J-Mart hated Bobby and the Star crew by the time he left, but I bet he'd give his left nut to be riding that bike for the rest of the summer. The Honda 250 just doesn't have the same torque.
LKHill
9/10/2020 10:46am
IMHO the real negative to the front mounted intake is air filter contamination. I estimate it up to around 100% increase over conventional designs.

There is zero proof of any horsepower advantage as it would show up in the production bikes on a dyno. Too many factors when building a factory 250f to say the reverse design is responsible.

What I can say for sure is yamaha riders have to clean their filters more and listen to the intake noise. Yamaha has been a horsepower company for decades, long before the latest gimmicks. Down draft is not a gimmick but you don't need a backwards engine to pull it off.
mx965
9/10/2020 1:21pm
People saying the leap makes little to no time have never been to red bud. It makes a huge difference. If the inside is nice and you scrub the piss out of the double single its less but go back and watch Jmart vs Masterpool when Ty was hitting it every lap. Its literally like 5-8 bike lengths difference.

IMO if the other guys could hit it they would. Everyone was taking the same line around the outside by the second moto anyways. Amart didn't hit it one time then busted it out in the last two laps (of the first or second moto? can't remember) bc he knew he had to.
Lastander
9/10/2020 1:35pm
LKHill wrote:
IMHO the real negative to the front mounted intake is air filter contamination. I estimate it up to around 100% increase over conventional designs. There is...
IMHO the real negative to the front mounted intake is air filter contamination. I estimate it up to around 100% increase over conventional designs.

There is zero proof of any horsepower advantage as it would show up in the production bikes on a dyno. Too many factors when building a factory 250f to say the reverse design is responsible.

What I can say for sure is yamaha riders have to clean their filters more and listen to the intake noise. Yamaha has been a horsepower company for decades, long before the latest gimmicks. Down draft is not a gimmick but you don't need a backwards engine to pull it off.
Youre joking right? The guy i spend most of my time riding with is on a Yamaha, im not lying if i say that i have to change filters on my Honda twice as often as he does
Lightning78
9/10/2020 2:58pm
UpTiTe wrote:

PTshox wrote:
English.... Can you please translate the above to modern english. Pretty please!
Voice text.....sorry I didnt proof read it
9/10/2020 3:18pm
How different are these from the bikes cooper Webb and most rest of the team blew up several times a couple years back?
9/10/2020 3:40pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2020 3:48pm
How different are these from the bikes cooper Webb and most rest of the team blew up several times a couple years back?
1) You mean the bike Cooper Webb and most of the rest of the team rode to multiple championships
2) Not a single part in common
TeamGreen
9/10/2020 4:01pm
1) You mean the bike Cooper Webb and most of the rest of the team rode to multiple championships
2) Not a single part in common
You might have gona a step too far in "not a part in common"...Laughing

The engine is an excellent design and is pretty damn solid, too...which allows then to push comp ratios and revs pretty damn hard. That straight-shot intake is a damn good advantage, too.
mister2dt
9/10/2020 4:11pm
The difference in the design isnt just the reverse flow, the cylinder is angled and offset. This allows the crank/rod/cylinder relationship to run in harmony without the "push load" a traditional design has. Traditional designs push the piston in to the sidewall on the upstroke causing slight friction. The Yamaha design all but eliminates this. Its a more free flowing design that allows the engine to produce power without having to compensate for friction or drag like traditional engines have.
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
9/10/2020 4:21pm
It was done prior, in 1949 Hondas first complete motorcycle, 98cc two stroke.
Was called the Dream D type

1949 The company produces its first real motorcycle, powered by a 98cc a two-stroke motor. When an employee sees the first one assembled and it is ridden outside the factory, he says, “It’s like a dream.” The name “Dream” was adopted for the bike, officially known as Model D.

Post a reply to: Yamaha Star racing 250f

The Latest