Yamaha Question

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
4/18/2019 5:28am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Yamaha just doesn't have the riders. I don't know if it's because they aren't willing to pay for a top rider of it they just can't
MX-LIFE. wrote:
But they had Webb and he seems to be a totally different Rider on the KTM
Webb attributes that to his training. He said himself that he only trained and practiced at 75-80% when he was at Yamaha. He did that when he first got to Aldon’s and was 3-4 seconds a lap slower than everyone else. Aldon asked him what was going on and that’s what Coop told him. Aldon said that’s not how they do things and they go 100%. Coop said that made the biggest difference.
bw56
4/18/2019 5:50am
I don’t think one should make assumptions about production bikes based on the success of a factory team...
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
4/18/2019 6:13am
ga_pike wrote:
I see on here quite often how people refer to the Yamaha 450 as a fat pig, etc... we don't see the same results from them...
I see on here quite often how people refer to the Yamaha 450 as a fat pig, etc... we don't see the same results from them as we do KTM and Kawi. However, the 250's seem to be very good bikes with top guys contending each week.

What's the difference? Is it the riders? Or is there something "wrong" with the current Yamaha 450?
The 250 and the 450 share the same chassis, but its the weight and placement of the motor that fast guys dont like.

The way the motor works where it is placed gives the bike a stiff unforgiving feel to fast guys, and most feel uncomfortable on it.

The 250 doesn't have this feel because its a smaller moving mass.

The 450 is a great bike for 97% of the people riding them.

UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
4/18/2019 6:16am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Yamaha just doesn't have the riders. I don't know if it's because they aren't willing to pay for a top rider of it they just can't
MX-LIFE. wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Webb attributes that to his training. He said himself that he only trained and practiced at 75-80% when he was at Yamaha. He did that when...
Webb attributes that to his training. He said himself that he only trained and practiced at 75-80% when he was at Yamaha. He did that when he first got to Aldon’s and was 3-4 seconds a lap slower than everyone else. Aldon asked him what was going on and that’s what Coop told him. Aldon said that’s not how they do things and they go 100%. Coop said that made the biggest difference.
Webb was faster straight away on the KTM before he even met Aldon on his track when they came to test. The bike is the biggest difference with webb.

The Shop

loftyair
4/18/2019 6:39am
Carmichael was the fmotp no matter what color, or where his bars were! He came off a huge moto win all pissed off, because 'the bike wasnt working right.' So, for the rest of us spodes, just get a bike you're happy with, because no matter what, your slow as f#ck!
JBecker 72
4/18/2019 8:19am Edited Date/Time 4/18/2019 8:25am
Indy mxer wrote:
Read my first post. I said that they're good bikes and amateurs love them. I ride with a guy who won't buy anything else, and I...
Read my first post. I said that they're good bikes and amateurs love them. I ride with a guy who won't buy anything else, and I see quite a few fast riders on them at the local races.

But you can't deny they haven't been relevant in 450 SX/MX for some time. I'll continue to let my eyes be the judge.
Imo, they just can't get them to perform as well as the other brands. Obviously they have the 250's dialed in.

Blah, blah, blah translation "lame excuses".

Btw, I wish my 16 KX450 had good suspension like the Yamaha. Even FC can't get my f***ing air forks to work well.
I hope Kawasaki fired the guy who thought they were a good idea. lol
Looking at a new Kawi 450.

Get a set of the Kayaba forks off a 2010-2012. They bolt right up. Fixed my complaints with my 16 KX450F. The PC link that only fits the 16 is nice too.

Sorry for the thread jack.
JBecker 72
4/18/2019 8:20am
loftyair wrote:
Carmichael was the fmotp no matter what color, or where his bars were! He came off a huge moto win all pissed off, because 'the bike...
Carmichael was the fmotp no matter what color, or where his bars were! He came off a huge moto win all pissed off, because 'the bike wasnt working right.' So, for the rest of us spodes, just get a bike you're happy with, because no matter what, your slow as f#ck!
Ricky could win on a well trained St. Bernard Grinning
TSCHAM101
4/18/2019 8:23am
loftyair wrote:
Carmichael was the fmotp no matter what color, or where his bars were! He came off a huge moto win all pissed off, because 'the bike...
JBecker 72 wrote:
Ricky could win on a well trained St. Bernard Grinning
This will probably be the best thing I see all day...

Youre my hero.
4/18/2019 8:28am
bw56 wrote:
I don’t think one should make assumptions about production bikes based on the success of a factory team...
But let's be clear: consumer assumptions about production bikes based on success of factory teams is the primary reason they field factory teams at all.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
4/18/2019 8:43am
loftyair wrote:
Ricky was a top notch test rider, and his bikes were always dialed in perfect for him.
loftyair
4/18/2019 8:53am
UpTiTe wrote:
Ricky was a top notch test rider, and his bikes were always dialed in perfect for him.
Haha, funny. So him changing his bar set up, was perfect before, or after? If it was perfect first, why change? If then it was perfect, why go back? Why would he say how it wasnt 'perfect', if it was? Is anything ever really perfect?
bw56
4/18/2019 10:09am Edited Date/Time 4/18/2019 10:17am
bw56 wrote:
But let's be clear: consumer assumptions about production bikes based on success of factory teams is the primary reason they field factory teams at all.
4/18/2019 2:51pm
Indy mxer wrote:
Read my first post. I said that they're good bikes and amateurs love them. I ride with a guy who won't buy anything else, and I...
Read my first post. I said that they're good bikes and amateurs love them. I ride with a guy who won't buy anything else, and I see quite a few fast riders on them at the local races.

But you can't deny they haven't been relevant in 450 SX/MX for some time. I'll continue to let my eyes be the judge.
Imo, they just can't get them to perform as well as the other brands. Obviously they have the 250's dialed in.

Btw, I wish my 16 KX450 had good suspension like the Yamaha. Even FC can't get my f***ing air forks to work well.

JBecker 72 wrote:
Get a set of the Kayaba forks off a 2010-2012. They bolt right up. Fixed my complaints with my 16 KX450F. The PC link that only...
Get a set of the Kayaba forks off a 2010-2012. They bolt right up. Fixed my complaints with my 16 KX450F. The PC link that only fits the 16 is nice too.

Do the brakes and wheel from the KX bolt right up to the YZ forks? As in just swap forks nothing else to do? How is the valving?
Johnny Ringo
4/18/2019 2:53pm
MX-LIFE. wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Webb attributes that to his training. He said himself that he only trained and practiced at 75-80% when he was at Yamaha. He did that when...
UpTiTe wrote:
Webb was faster straight away on the KTM before he even met Aldon on his track when they came to test. The bike is the biggest...
Webb was faster straight away on the KTM before he even met Aldon on his track when they came to test. The bike is the biggest difference with webb.

He sure got worked at MEC ??‍♂️
JBecker 72
4/18/2019 3:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2019 3:15pm
Indy mxer wrote:

JBecker 72 wrote:
Get a set of the Kayaba forks off a 2010-2012. They bolt right up. Fixed my complaints with my 16 KX450F. The PC link that only...

Do the brakes and wheel from the KX bolt right up to the YZ forks? As in just swap forks nothing else to do? How is...
Do the brakes and wheel from the KX bolt right up to the YZ forks? As in just swap forks nothing else to do? How is the valving?
Those forks are off a 2012 KX450F. Everything from the 2016 bolts right up without modification. Just a fork swap.

Mine are setup by Factory Connection.
yamahaha131
4/18/2019 4:20pm
JM485 wrote:
Could it be possible that different riders prefer different characteristics of a bike, and that there is no “better” bike for everyone? Or is that too...
Could it be possible that different riders prefer different characteristics of a bike, and that there is no “better” bike for everyone? Or is that too crazy of a possibility to even be considered. . .
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Hey Bro, don't be bringing logic into this! You can't do that. Bike X sucks and Bike Y is the best all while Bike Z is...
Hey Bro, don't be bringing logic into this! You can't do that. Bike X sucks and Bike Y is the best all while Bike Z is meh
Exactly lol. I rode two 2005 crf450‘s set up differently once upon a time. Hated one, loved the other. I’m barely 5’10 and I love my 18 yz450f. It doesn’t feel wide on the track. Turns well, power for days and suspension is money.

The bike is fine. Most people probably miss the mark on set-up. After holding out, I changed just the bars and my comfort level went up probably 20%.
Mx286
4/18/2019 7:02pm
Timo_2824 wrote:
Engine braking can easily be tuned out with the app, I was using TP's connected feel map last week and was surprised by the lack of...
Engine braking can easily be tuned out with the app, I was using TP's connected feel map last week and was surprised by the lack of engine braking, caught me off guard in the first 2 corners. As far as handling goes, my 19 450 is the best handling 4 stroke I've ever owned. It's super stable in a straight line and corners well in ruts or flat corners. I've even taken it on a flat track for fun and you can get pretty crazy, even with the knobby tires. The front end feel/feedback that has been missing on the Aluminium framed Yamaha's is improved dramatically on the 19's, and they did it while managing to keep the comfort that they are known for.
Could you post up that map? Only thing about the bike that I don’t like. Every thing else it’s solid right out of the box.

Post a reply to: Yamaha Question

The Latest