Yamaha Demo Days questions

ktmdan
I've never attended a MX demo day and as there seem to be some in the near future, I have some questions for those who have been to one.

How much time do you get on each bike? Is it the kind of thing where I ride one for 10 minutes and then wait around all day to ride a different model?

Do they do any set up for individual riders? For instance, will they set the sag on a yz 125 for me if I weigh 192lbs?

I'd like to ride the following bikes in order from most likely to buy to least.

250x
450fx
250fx
and if there's time,
450f

Is it wishful thinking to think that I would get a chance to spin some laps on four bikes?
My bike is having the whole top/bottom end redone so I won't be able to ride in between demos.

Thanks in advance.
|
AJ565
5/3/2019 6:11am
You get like 3-4 laps and I think you can pick 3 bikes. It might be 4. You sign up and they give you a sticker for your helmet with the bikes you want to ride and you stand in line for each bike. If you sign up right when they open you won't have to wait very long, maybe 5 min per bike.

You still have to pay to get in so don't show up thinking you get to ride for free. I know that was an issue last year.
wsmille2
5/3/2019 6:14am
They will not setup the bikes for you during the demo. Its kind of hard to really gel with a bike that is not set up for you but you can always ask them. I believe Jason Raines does the Yamaha demo days here on the east coast, not sure how far he travels to the middle part of the US.
gt80rider
5/3/2019 6:20am
wsmille2 wrote:
They will not setup the bikes for you during the demo. Its kind of hard to really gel with a bike that is not set up...
They will not setup the bikes for you during the demo. Its kind of hard to really gel with a bike that is not set up for you but you can always ask them. I believe Jason Raines does the Yamaha demo days here on the east coast, not sure how far he travels to the middle part of the US.
I know, it sucks not having factory mechanics there making sure every tiny item has been perfectly tailored to suit your body..............................................

Trying to gel with a bike on a demo day.................... LOL
moto314
5/3/2019 7:15am
4-5 laps on a MX track or 1 lap on an offroad loop (I've done demo days at both). You get up to 4 bikes, no set up (although I have moved the levers). You can come and go as you please, if the line is long for the bike you want to ride, go have a snack and come back later. I just did one last weekend and did not have to wait more than 10 minutes per bike. PS the YZ125 is so fun!

The Shop

ktmdan
5/3/2019 7:16am
wsmille2 wrote:
They will not setup the bikes for you during the demo. Its kind of hard to really gel with a bike that is not set up...
gt80rider wrote:
I know, it sucks not having factory mechanics there making sure every tiny item has been perfectly tailored to suit your body.............................................. Trying to gel with...
I know, it sucks not having factory mechanics there making sure every tiny item has been perfectly tailored to suit your body..............................................

Sag takes what, 7 minutes? The whole reason I want to try a Yamaha is to see if the better suspension on the yz is worth compromising the better engine, brakes, clutch, etc from my ktm. If they don’t set up the sag then it’s not really worth the 1.5 hr one way trip for me in my situation since I can’t even bring my bike. No one is complaining here... I imagine you don’t always come off as a dick and you’re just having a shit morning. Hope your day gets better.
Motox627!
5/3/2019 7:27am
wsmille2 wrote:
gt80rider wrote:
I know, it sucks not having factory mechanics there making sure every tiny item has been perfectly tailored to suit your body.............................................. Trying to gel with...

ktmdan wrote:
Sag takes what, 7 minutes? The whole reason I want to try a Yamaha is to see if the better suspension on the yz is worth...
Sag takes what, 7 minutes? The whole reason I want to try a Yamaha is to see if the better suspension on the yz is worth compromising the better engine, brakes, clutch, etc from my ktm. If they don’t set up the sag then it’s not really worth the 1.5 hr one way trip for me in my situation since I can’t even bring my bike. No one is complaining here... I imagine you don’t always come off as a dick and you’re just having a shit morning. Hope your day gets better.
I'm sure you know, but the Jason Raines demo is supposed to be this weekend at Murphy's. I am really good friends with Wayne who travels around and does the actual demo's both for the bikes and side by sides. I can tell you from talking to him, there is so much work that goes into everything else that setting the bike up for each rider would be impossible. Sounds like its hard enough to keep idiots off the bikes that have no business riding them, trying to keep them from getting trashed (douche bags that take out a 250f and ride off the rev limiter the whole time, because hey, its not their bike) and all the while try and put a smile on some peoples faces and hopefully sell a few bikes in the process....
One thing i do know for sure, if there is a bike that you are really, actually interested in - stay until the end of the demo and they will work with you as far as trying to make you comfy and getting to spend more time on it.....

Post a reply to: Yamaha Demo Days questions

The Latest