Yamaha Announces 2018 Factory Supercross/Motocross Team Featuring Riders Cooper Webb And Davi Millsaps

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
Edited Date/Time 10/4/2017 7:39pm
Millsaps To Make Team Debut At Monster Energy Cup Aboard 2018 YZ450F

Cypress, CA - October 3, 2017 – Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A., today annouced its 2018 Factory Supercross/Motocross team, featuring riders Cooper Webb and new teammate Davi Millsaps. Davi will make his first public debut with the team aboard his #18 2018 YZ450F at the Monster Energy Cup on Saturday, October 14 at Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas, NV. Davi will go for the $1 million awarded to the racer who wins all three 10-Lap Main Events.

Keith McCarty, Motorsports Racing Division Manager for Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A., said, “We’re excited to welcome Davi to our Yamaha Factory Team. He’s had a great career so far, and he’s been a terrific ambassador for our sport. Davi has been testing his 2018 YZ450F, and he is looking forward to competing aboard the brand-new bike at the upcoming Monster Energy Cup.”

The 2014 Monster Energy Cup winner, Davi was also the Monster Energy 450SX Championship runner-up in 2012 and 2013, and he has notched five career 450SX wins, and 35 450SX podiums. He was also 2006 250SX East Champion and 2016 Canadian National Motocross Champion. The Orlando, Florida, native currently resides in Lake Havasu, Arizona, with his wife Brittney and their two children.

“First of all, I’m super-excited to be racing for the Yamaha Factory team,” Davi said. “And, to be making my Yamaha debut aboard the 2018 YZ450F is going to be awesome. I’ve been doing a lot of testing on the new bike, and it's coming along great. I couldn't be happier. I’m training hard for the Monster Energy Cup, and I’ll definitely be ready on October 14th. And, how cool is it that I’ll be running my signature #18 on the ’18 Yamaha in 2018? Can’t wait!”

While Davi will race, Cooper Webb will also be in attendance at the Monster Energy Cup to cheer on Davi, help the team notch the win, and, along with Davi, sign autographs for the fans.

As was previously announced, Cooper will not compete in the event due to the surgery he had last week on his right thumb, which he injured in practice at the Monster Energy MXGP of the USA in Jacksonville, Florida, earlier this month. Cooper will be ready for the start of the 2018 Monster Energy Supercross season, which begins in early January.

For more Yamaha racing news, results, photos, and videos, visit www.YamahaMotorsports.com/Racing

|
jeffro503
10/3/2017 1:41pm
Dang! Good job Davi ! I didn't know he was getting picked up as a full factory rider again. He always looked good on those Yamaha's I thought.
ocscottie
10/3/2017 1:44pm
Always root for Davi, hope he stays healthy and has a good year.
Johnny Depp
10/3/2017 1:50pm
Do they pick factory rider's based on the lowest number available? Davi has proven some great SX skills, I just don't think of him as the next big thing. There is something to say for age and experience though..

The Shop

10/3/2017 2:06pm
Do they pick factory rider's based on the lowest number available? Davi has proven some great SX skills, I just don't think of him as the...
Do they pick factory rider's based on the lowest number available? Davi has proven some great SX skills, I just don't think of him as the next big thing. There is something to say for age and experience though..
If that was the case woudn't James Stewart have a ride? Davi will get top 5's and potentially podiums.. for not being the main rider on the team I think that's pretty good.
stangkag
10/3/2017 2:09pm
Heck yea, good job landing another factory ride Davi!
nc_mx_kid
10/3/2017 2:14pm
Do they pick factory rider's based on the lowest number available? Davi has proven some great SX skills, I just don't think of him as the...
I agree
Motofinne
10/3/2017 2:23pm
Why? I'm happy for Davi but why did Yamaha sign him and "let" Reed go?

Is Davi that much cheaper than Reed?

Btw, i don't think that Davi will bring anything to improve Webbs results.The 18 bike and Webb himself is the only factors that can improve the mediocre results from 2017.
twotwosix
10/3/2017 2:25pm
Motofinne wrote:
Why? I'm happy for Davi but why did Yamaha sign him and "let" Reed go? Is Davi that much cheaper than Reed? Btw, i don't think...

Btw, i don't think that Davi will bring anything to improve Webbs results.The 18 bike and Webb himself is the only factors that can improve the mediocre results from 2017.
Chad left Yamaha after Vegas SX and shipped all his bikes back to them before summer. lol I don't think they 'let' Reed go.
IceMan446
10/3/2017 2:26pm
Motofinne wrote:
Why? I'm happy for Davi but why did Yamaha sign him and "let" Reed go? Is Davi that much cheaper than Reed? Btw, i don't think...

Let Reed go???

Where did you hear that?
Motofinne
10/3/2017 2:31pm Edited Date/Time 10/3/2017 2:33pm
Okay, sloppy writing from me.

Reed didn't like the bike. But did he have the chance of riding the 18?

I think even Reed would choose to stick with Yamaha with the updated factory bike instead of doing what he is right now(who knows what is going to happen).
RangerLee
10/3/2017 2:44pm
Will Davi also race outdoors with this contract? From the title it appears so, but I do not want to get my hopes up if he is only SX.
MT MX
10/3/2017 3:00pm
Does anyone know why he left the Butler team? Was he just not re-signed / contract expired?
I thought he gel'd with that KTM pretty good and was a good fit.
Motofinne
10/3/2017 3:02pm
MT MX wrote:
Does anyone know why he left the Butler team? Was he just not re-signed / contract expired? I thought he gel'd with that KTM pretty good...
Does anyone know why he left the Butler team? Was he just not re-signed / contract expired?
I thought he gel'd with that KTM pretty good and was a good fit.
Maybe more money at Yamaha since he can do his own gear, helmet, boots and goggle deals?
10/3/2017 3:16pm
Last time Millsaps was on a Yamaha was on 2012, he had a rocky start to the SX season but had some solid finishes from Atlanta on. The 2012 bike wasn't the best from what i hear, so if the 2018 is any better he should do well.

10/3/2017 3:54pm
I hope they have him on a performance based contract. Not sure about results after check hits the bank.

Kind'a like Barcia.
Dougy1
10/3/2017 4:22pm
Come on we just want the gossip on what really went down with Reed and Yamaha who faded who? Had they had enough of his, shall I say outspokenness
GD2
Fantasy
1081st
10/3/2017 4:26pm
Sweet.
Crush
10/3/2017 4:38pm
Motofinne wrote:
Okay, sloppy writing from me. Reed didn't like the bike. But did he have the chance of riding the 18? I think even Reed would choose...

I think even Reed would choose to stick with Yamaha with the updated factory bike instead of doing what he is right now(who knows what is going to happen).
Whether anyone agrees or not, Chad will want to be on a bike he feels he can win on, so I'd say isn't that stressed about the money, he did that deal the last two years with Yamaha, he should have taken the Honda ride. Now Shorty has moved on it might open up again.
Forty
10/3/2017 5:09pm
I don’t get it.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/3/2017 5:31pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Dang! Good job Davi ! I didn't know he was getting picked up as a full factory rider again. He always looked good on those Yamaha's...
Dang! Good job Davi ! I didn't know he was getting picked up as a full factory rider again. He always looked good on those Yamaha's I thought.
I always thought the same thing. When everyone talked so much crap about them, Davi put it into 2nd place overall for the sx season.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
10/3/2017 5:37pm
Motofinne wrote:
Okay, sloppy writing from me. Reed didn't like the bike. But did he have the chance of riding the 18? I think even Reed would choose...

Crush wrote:
Whether anyone agrees or not, Chad will want to be on a bike he feels he can win on, so I'd say isn't that stressed about...
Whether anyone agrees or not, Chad will want to be on a bike he feels he can win on, so I'd say isn't that stressed about the money, he did that deal the last two years with Yamaha, he should have taken the Honda ride. Now Shorty has moved on it might open up again.
Andrew Short's ambassador deal wouldn't weigh too much into whether or not Chad has a ride with the race team. Andrew's deal required over 100 days of PR related work for the brand, placing him at a ton of Honda model launches across their range and many dealer events...testing with the race team, production and the off-road efforts...not a spot Chad would fill.
Crush
10/3/2017 5:48pm
ML512 wrote:
Andrew Short's ambassador deal wouldn't weigh too much into whether or not Chad has a ride with the race team. Andrew's deal required over 100 days...
Andrew Short's ambassador deal wouldn't weigh too much into whether or not Chad has a ride with the race team. Andrew's deal required over 100 days of PR related work for the brand, placing him at a ton of Honda model launches across their range and many dealer events...testing with the race team, production and the off-road efforts...not a spot Chad would fill.
Mmmm, i think they were holding that carrot in front of him as a post racing thing but he took the blue cheque.
Dcross829
10/3/2017 5:56pm
Millsaps will kill it on the yamadog, just stay on two wheels and he'll have an easy top 5 in supercross
Dougy1
10/4/2017 3:43am Edited Date/Time 10/4/2017 3:51am
Motofinne wrote:

Crush wrote:
Whether anyone agrees or not, Chad will want to be on a bike he feels he can win on, so I'd say isn't that stressed about...
I wonder if he felt the team(yamy) was generally difficult to deal with (changes on the bike etc ). I think your right though, at his age and if he's financially still good he may just want too ride the bike that fits and he's happy with, more than any pay check.. But ya gotta admit Crush he's been notoriously tricky to keep happy over the years. Motorcycle wise.
colonel
10/4/2017 4:50am
Motofinne wrote:

Davi is top 5 solid and possible podium here and there. Shows up, gets a result and goes home as of late. I would suggest he is a lot cheaper than what Reed is asking and possibly low maintenance also. (to a degree)

It was mentioned before on Reed but why must Davi bring something for Cooper? Cooper should be doing his own testing, getting his own settings and putting in the work. Davi is there is to race.

With that being said I am sure Davi actually does carry a ton of knowledge when it comes to set ups, I don't ever think I've heard him blame a bike set up and he has gotten wins and podiums on basically every manufacturer around except Husky.
MX-LIFE.
10/4/2017 5:53am
If that was the case woudn't James Stewart have a ride? Davi will get top 5's and potentially podiums.. for not being the main rider on...
If that was the case woudn't James Stewart have a ride? Davi will get top 5's and potentially podiums.. for not being the main rider on the team I think that's pretty good.
I blows my mind sometimes of the amount of shade that is thrown at James even when the Post has nothing to do with him! Since you went there tho Davi career win record dosen't compare to what Stewart has done! Ok now back to the original post, good luck and congratulations Davi Millsaps

Post a reply to: Yamaha Announces 2018 Factory Supercross/Motocross Team Featuring Riders Cooper Webb And Davi Millsaps

The Latest