Yamaha 250X or KTM250XC

Related:
Create New Tag

12/10/2018 9:57 AM

Looking at both for a woods bike....same money. Yamaha is 2019, KTM is 2018 Holdover.....
Would be for woods mostly with some moto thrown in....

|

2009 YZ250 Moto
1999 YZ125 w/144 kit Flattracker
2014 CRF150R playbike
CRF50 pitbike
PW50 kids bike
Staycyc E-bikes

12/10/2018 10:04 AM

KTM

|

12/10/2018 10:07 AM

YZ hands down

|

12/10/2018 10:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/10/2018 10:23 AM

I've been tossing around both bikes also, right off the bat the YZX is missing a big tank, e-start and hydro clutch. The Yamaha resale will suffer also if you don't keep it a while. For the same money the KTM is the better buy IMO, the YZX hasn't changed since 2016 and the YZ platform since 2006. KTM 6spd vs 5spd on YZX also.

Do some research on thumpertalk, the YZX has an issue of guys hitting false neutral. I've seen a couple threads about on there plus Kyle on dirt bike channel mentioned it being an issue on his 2018 model.

|

12/10/2018 10:32 AM

My 2016X. Love it Photo

|

12/10/2018 10:46 AM

KTM, the e-start alone makes it worth it.

|

12/10/2018 10:56 AM

support the brand that still puts R&D into two strokes.

|

12/10/2018 11:20 AM

I was in the same boat deciding between those two bikes. Ultimatley I decided to go with the KTM primarily due to the electric start. That alone was worth it for me but since getting it I have found the front brake, hydro clutch, bigger tank and air filter accces all to be significant bonuses which helped me feel better about my choice. I wasnt able to get them at the same price, I paid about 1k more for the KTM and don't regret it.

|

12/10/2018 11:23 AM

Ok, I've had both bikes, here's my experience.
The YZ(X) is a great bike, it can handle anything you throw at it. Go read any review on a YZ and this bike lives up to it.
But my down falls were this:

1.They cut the head to different spec so that it's easier to kickstart and mellow power, but it created a weird flat spot at 1/4 throttle. This is fixed by installing the YZ (mx version) head, or cutting the head to give a higher compression ratio. I tried switching the CDI between the YZX and the YZ and I didn't like it. The Cut head and YZX CDI is a killer combo for offroad.

2. The transmission is a wide ratio 5 speed. For me, I needed a usable 4th gear for GP/MX, but the 4th gear was so far from 3rd gear I had to be cranking to PROPERLY use the 4th gear.

3. The little things. They put in softer clutch springs which was awesome for lever feel, but it didn't have great load capacity, so I had to replace the clutches often becuase I was over using the clutch. (I went to stiffer springs and that fixed it). I threw in a different reed block to open up the power, make it a bit more snappy. I'm also pretty sure the radiators are made of cardboard because they bent first time I crashed. So I threw on some rad guards to keep them straight.

Once these things were done, the bike was great, I didn't need anything else from it. But, I looked at what I spent getting there, and was close to what the KTM costed. For a couple more $ I would get E-start, hydro clutch, anti-vibration counter balancer, true wide ratio 6 speed, and a bike I wouldn't have to spend any money on to race. SO... I bought one. Other than the price tag, I don't regret one thing about it. In my opinion, it's the best bike i've ever ridden stock or mod. Power delivery is so clean and smooth, Suspension is phenomenal (once you learn how to set it up), and I swear, KTM designs the bikes knowing your going to work on them (bolts are easily accessible and overall design is simple).

|

12/10/2018 12:19 PM

holt352 wrote:

Ok, I've had both bikes, here's my experience.
The YZ(X) is a great bike, it can handle anything you throw at it. Go read any review on a YZ and this bike lives up to it.
But my down falls were this:

1.They cut the head to different spec so that it's easier to kickstart and mellow power, but it created a weird flat spot at 1/4 throttle. This is fixed by installing the YZ (mx version) head, or cutting the head to give a higher compression ratio. I tried switching the CDI between the YZX and the YZ and I didn't like it. The Cut head and YZX CDI is a killer combo for offroad.

2. The transmission is a wide ratio 5 speed. For me, I needed a usable 4th gear for GP/MX, but the 4th gear was so far from 3rd gear I had to be cranking to PROPERLY use the 4th gear.

3. The little things. They put in softer clutch springs which was awesome for lever feel, but it didn't have great load capacity, so I had to replace the clutches often becuase I was over using the clutch. (I went to stiffer springs and that fixed it). I threw in a different reed block to open up the power, make it a bit more snappy. I'm also pretty sure the radiators are made of cardboard because they bent first time I crashed. So I threw on some rad guards to keep them straight.

Once these things were done, the bike was great, I didn't need anything else from it. But, I looked at what I spent getting there, and was close to what the KTM costed. For a couple more $ I would get E-start, hydro clutch, anti-vibration counter balancer, true wide ratio 6 speed, and a bike I wouldn't have to spend any money on to race. SO... I bought one. Other than the price tag, I don't regret one thing about it. In my opinion, it's the best bike i've ever ridden stock or mod. Power delivery is so clean and smooth, Suspension is phenomenal (once you learn how to set it up), and I swear, KTM designs the bikes knowing your going to work on them (bolts are easily accessible and overall design is simple).

Gonna have to roll with holt352 on this. I currently have an 18 yz250x. I mostly ride moto with it. Might be one of the best softly suspended bike's that I've ever ridden that actually works. I'm creeping up on 60, softer and mellower power works for me.

Now... trail riding tight single track. I wished to hell that I had e-start! When your picking the bike up and on nasty slippery terrain, or pulling it out of the manzanita that I dropped it in, kick starting is a bitch!

Also with the gearing between 3 & 4th it's a bit funky. As mentioned above, it's a bit to wide. Even on moto tracks, especially if there sandy, I sometimes struggle with 4th gear dropping off.

Anyway... That's my old guy input, your struggles likely won't be the same.

|

12/10/2018 12:21 PM

KTM. I've had both. Don't get me wrong, the YZ is great, but I prefer the KTM package.

|

12/10/2018 1:02 PM

I applaud Yamaha for offering the X, with some more r&d It can only improve, but right now KTM owns the off road world with wthere XC line...my 3 Xc 300"S were some of the best bikes I have ever owned, absolutely bullet proof, I imagine the 250 is every bit as good.

|

12/10/2018 1:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/10/2018 1:20 PM

The YZ would be much better if they’d created its own transmission, rather than mix and match existing parts from the YZ250 and WR400/426 (like people on Thumpertalk have been doing for many years). For a combination of moto and regular hare scramble/cross country type offroad events, it works great. But the lower 1st gear and six-speed transmission of the KTM makes them much more versatile.

If only someone would come out with a better wide ratio gear box for the YZ (kinda like what you used to be able to get for CRs, but with a lower 1st gear for super technical riding also ).

Usually you can find leftover 250Xs for CHEAP... significantly less than a KTM.

|

12/10/2018 1:49 PM

I love yamaha and especially the smokers, but it's not even close. It's also kinda funny how you reference the years, because the older ktm is still twelve years newer.

|

12/10/2018 1:51 PM

I have a 2017 TE 250 Husqvarna (pretty much the same at the KTM) and I love it. All the pluses that the guys above mention and I haven't had any trouble with it. I plan on putting a TC head and CDI on it this winter. I have a PC exhaust and VForce reeds, after I got it jetted correctly it runs great. I have a TC tank that I run on it most of the time, I ride endruo, moto and GP's with the bike.

Photo

|

12/10/2018 1:56 PM

jt.hagerty wrote:

I have a 2017 TE 250 Husqvarna (pretty much the same at the KTM) and I love it. All the pluses that the guys above mention and I haven't had any trouble with it. I plan on putting a TC head and CDI on it this winter. I have a PC exhaust and VForce reeds, after I got it jetted correctly it runs great. I have a TC tank that I run on it most of the time, I ride endruo, moto and GP's with the bike.

Photo

what did the pipe do for you?
I have 200 RMAtv bucks and debating buying the PC pipe...

|

12/10/2018 5:43 PM

I have a 16 250X, have 3 seasons of racing, in cross country racing! in vet expert class, other than changing the top end at the beginning of each season ! And new tires! Two sets of break pads! it’s been bulletproof! As for the LG tank our races are only a hour plus 1 lap, so there’s plenty! And it’s a 1 kick starter! So that’s not a big deal!
Now I do have an issue with 4th & 5th gear being so tall, I’d rather have the reg, YZ trans!
The motor is smooth hooks up every where! I get plenty of Holeshot’s!
But the best thing is the suspension!!
Still running it stock ( other than having it serviced ) & it’s the best of any I’ve ever had ! Including a couple high dollar setups! Parts arnt an issue! & the frames don’t break! ( at least I haven’t heard of any)
And yes I’ve had KTM’s, nice bike’s but just never felt comfortable on them!
I guess you can tell my vote would be far Yamaha!!! Lol !
Good luck!

|

12/10/2018 5:57 PM

If you’re comparing YZ to SX I still think it’s close to a draw. I’ve had both recently and currently ride the YZ. But you’re comparing YZx to XC and IMO that’s not even close. KTM brings much more to the table here and if the money is even then it’s a no brainer. Six speed, e start, big tank, counter balancer etc.

|

12/10/2018 6:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/10/2018 6:27 PM

Have you felt the handlebars on a newer KTM with the counter balanced engine? It's pretty sweet. The electric start is great. I picked up a 2019 TX300 and it's been sweet. Did some head work and some work to the carb and it's a beast.

|

10' 200 XC-w
96' XR600r

12/10/2018 6:30 PM

hellion wrote:

If you’re comparing YZ to SX I still think it’s close to a draw. I’ve had both recently and currently ride the YZ. But you’re comparing YZx to XC and IMO that’s not even close. KTM brings much more to the table here and if the money is even then it’s a no brainer. Six speed, e start, big tank, counter balancer etc.

This is true and quite hard to argue. Disclaimer: I love YZs and currently ride one for woods.

|

12/10/2018 6:32 PM

Husky cus they're better looking

|

12/11/2018 4:26 AM

jt.hagerty wrote:

Photo

That bike has the wide ratio transmission, the KTM XC's have a "semi" wide transmission. A husky TE is basically an XCW KTM with linkage. Apples and oranges TE vs XC.

|

12/11/2018 5:52 AM

sam hain wrote:

That bike has the wide ratio transmission, the KTM XC's have a "semi" wide transmission. A husky TE is basically an XCW KTM with linkage. Apples and oranges TE vs XC.

Mxteach stated that he would be riding mostly woods with some moto, why not go ahead an get a bike with lights, and at least in my state, can be tagged? This bike was the same price as the XC 250 at my dealer, so in my opinion it was a no brainier. I don't have any problems with the transmission or XPLOR fork on moto tracks.

|

12/11/2018 5:56 AM

opyguy wrote:

what did the pipe do for you?
I have 200 RMAtv bucks and debating buying the PC pipe...

The pipe made it rev longer, especially the silencer. I had a little issue with the fitment, I had to cut the stinger on the silencer. It was too long and would not allow the bolt holes to line up, I had to shorten it by about 1/4".

|

12/11/2018 5:57 AM

jt.hagerty wrote:

Photo

sam hain wrote:

jt.hagerty wrote:

Mxteach stated that he would be riding mostly woods with some moto, why not go ahead an get a bike with lights, and at least in my state, can be tagged? This bike was the same price as the XC 250 at my dealer, so in my opinion it was a no brainier. I don't have any problems with the transmission or XPLOR fork on moto tracks.

I'm glad you like your bike, but the facts remain the same. The TE line of bikes are Husky's enduro line being brothers to KTM's XCW's (wide ratio transmissions, lights, etc). The TX300 Husky is the only GNCC style bike they make and is the same as the XC KTM's. I wish Husky would make a TX250 myself.

|

12/11/2018 7:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/11/2018 7:07 AM

holt 352 nailed it! I've owned both. Still have the 250X(son's bike) but have turned my KTM into an 18' Husky TE-300.
There's simply no comparison. The new generation(2017 and subsequent) KTM's and Husky's are so good and so much more refined than YZ-X, the comparison isn't even close. I can understand opting for the YZ-X if money is an issue, but at the same price point, noooo way would I even consider the Yamaha. Additionally, resale on the KTM will be much much higher.

The YZ-X is a great bike in it's own right, but it's no KTM. I won't re-hash what holt352 said, but everything he stated is spot on. I've had to cut the head(jetting is a nightmare until you do so), add a fly-wheel weight, drop a tooth on the front sprocket, re-jet the carb a multiple of times, add a skid plate, etc.. to truly make the bike usable for it's intended purpose. Also, the small tank is a real problem if you plan to do longer rides. We went to Colorado this past summer and the small tank was a real hassle. Each day's ride had to be planned very carefully! Total PIA.

Without question, I'd opt for the KTM.

|

12/11/2018 7:17 AM

RACERX69 wrote:

holt 352 nailed it! I've owned both. Still have the 250X(son's bike) but have turned my KTM into an 18' Husky TE-300.
There's simply no comparison. The new generation(2017 and subsequent) KTM's and Husky's are so good and so much more refined than YZ-X, the comparison isn't even close. I can understand opting for the YZ-X if money is an issue, but at the same price point, noooo way would I even consider the Yamaha. Additionally, resale on the KTM will be much much higher.

The YZ-X is a great bike in it's own right, but it's no KTM. I won't re-hash what holt352 said, but everything he stated is spot on. I've had to cut the head(jetting is a nightmare until you do so), add a fly-wheel weight, drop a tooth on the front sprocket, re-jet the carb a multiple of times, add a skid plate, etc.. to truly make the bike usable for it's intended purpose. Also, the small tank is a real problem if you plan to do longer rides. We went to Colorado this past summer and the small tank was a real hassle. Each day's ride had to be planned very carefully! Total PIA.

Without question, I'd opt for the KTM.

YZ250's and YZ250X's all have the same jetting issue, and its a $5 fix.

The powerjet comes stock as a #50 and it makes it run pig rich. Throw whatever main/pilot jet combo and airscrew and needle combo you want at it, but its never going to run right. Replace the powerjet with a #40, run a 48 pilot, 175 main, 1 1/4 out on the screw.

It feels like an entirely different bike after you fix this.

|

12/11/2018 7:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/11/2018 8:00 AM

Doesn’t everyone say suspension is the most important thing on any bike?

So why not buy the bike with the best suspension (YZ) and work on the rest?

|

12/11/2018 8:00 AM

jt.hagerty wrote:

Photo

sam hain wrote:

jt.hagerty wrote:

I’m just curious your riding level/experience?

I mean no disrespect...but I ask for two reasons:

1). So the OP will know if you and he are of a similar riding ability so he can gauge how much your comments will relate to him.

And

2) I can see how a D or C rider would have no issues with that bike on a track...but I can’t imagine an A rider not having issues with the transmission and suspension on that bike on a Moto track.

|

12/11/2018 8:00 AM

2stroked wrote:

YZ250's and YZ250X's all have the same jetting issue, and its a $5 fix.

The powerjet comes stock as a #50 and it makes it run pig rich. Throw whatever main/pilot jet combo and airscrew and needle combo you want at it, but its never going to run right. Replace the powerjet with a #40, run a 48 pilot, 175 main, 1 1/4 out on the screw.

It feels like an entirely different bike after you fix this.

Yep. I did the 40 Power Jet mod early on. Definitely made it better and far less fat in the middle, but no where near as clean and crisp as it should've been. Tried a JD kit, various Suzuki needle and jet combos, etc... Finally sent the head off to Eric Gorr and had him correct the squish. Wow! What a huge difference it made..the bike finally ran like a properly jetted 2-stroke. It rips!

|