What's your knowledge /thoughts
|
Tuna
11/16/2020 12:32pm
Sc2 wrote:
Fancied a sherco, but the yam has just caught my eye
Use would be 70%laneing and 30% moto x

What's your knowledge /thoughts
Both great bikes. Does the SEF have KYB?
In my experience the WR is more reliable. The Sherco feels lighter abs more nimble. The WR has nice botttom end power.
AxlBundy
11/16/2020 12:43pm
Cody Webb ran the 300 in the endurocross series.

Grandpa drives his wr250 to get the mail
Tuna
11/16/2020 2:12pm
AxlBundy wrote:
Cody Webb ran the 300 in the endurocross series.

Grandpa drives his wr250 to get the mail
We are talking Sherco 300 4 stroke buck..
Grandpa was hauling ass no doubt😎

The Shop

AxlBundy
11/16/2020 3:08pm
I know, Cody ran the 300 4t this year
LungButter
11/16/2020 3:11pm
AxlBundy wrote:
And that bike is probably about as comparable to one on the showroom floor as Tomac's SX championship bike.

Not really relevant to what the OP asked IMO.
Sc2
11/16/2020 11:27pm
Sherco comes pretty loaded, yes comes with kyb

Couple of little concerns with the yam
1,weight is fair few kgs more compared to sherco
2,last time I sat on yam yzf 2018, it felt wide to me
3, heard that the plastics are v pricey, does that other parts are also

tobz
11/17/2020 3:47am
Love my 250f, ditched my 250 two stroke for it and haven’t missed it yet. Weight is negligible when your actually riding.

Im about the same, 60% trail 40% motocross tracks

Sc2
11/17/2020 5:41am
tobz wrote:
Love my 250f, ditched my 250 two stroke for it and haven’t missed it yet. Weight is negligible when your actually riding. Im about the same...
Love my 250f, ditched my 250 two stroke for it and haven’t missed it yet. Weight is negligible when your actually riding.

Im about the same, 60% trail 40% motocross tracks

How many miles per tank u getting on trail
ccullins
11/17/2020 7:03am
AxlBundy wrote:
LungButter wrote:
And that bike is probably about as comparable to one on the showroom floor as Tomac's SX championship bike. Not really relevant to what the OP...
And that bike is probably about as comparable to one on the showroom floor as Tomac's SX championship bike.

Not really relevant to what the OP asked IMO.
That’s not the case. Sherco doesn’t have those kinds of resources at all. Plus Cody only decided to ride the 4t a few weeks before EX. Knowing how these small companies work I’m guessing it was just mapping and a pipe as far as motor mods go.

To the original post, if your not afraid of exotics check out the TM 300F. We haven’t had a chance to ride a new 2021 yet, but the 2018 I rode was a great handling bike that felt very light. Everyone who rides the new bike with new motor has come away super impressed. We’re hoping to try one next month.
AxlBundy
11/17/2020 7:36am
That was my thought. From what I see on social media, Webb is his own mechanic. Not the big rich David Geffen tour bus exotic bike
TeamGreen
11/17/2020 7:39am
With ANY “Track Time” I’d pick the YZ-FX/WR. Also, if I’m nit mistaken, it takes a bit of work to get real HP out of the Sherco.
Sc2
11/17/2020 11:27am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2020 9:37am
I have a soft spot for TM, never ridden one tho.. They v rarely come up for sale

Never thought I'd own a 250 4t, am a 2s guy at heart, but rode a 250f on motox track and it just felt easier
I'm not expecting it to feel exactly the same, but hopefully it ain't million miles of (for me anyway) once spenders are stiffened up, also can use it for trail riding.. 2 birds and all that 😁
Sc2
12/4/2020 11:55am
TeamGreen wrote:
With ANY “Track Time” I’d pick the YZ-FX/WR. Also, if I’m nit mistaken, it takes a bit of work to get real HP out of the...
With ANY “Track Time” I’d pick the YZ-FX/WR. Also, if I’m nit mistaken, it takes a bit of work to get real HP out of the Sherco.
Not sure, the sherco come with decent pipe, from what iv read so far is that you have spend a small fortune on a pipe for wr to wake them up
Timo_2824
12/4/2020 9:15pm
TeamGreen wrote:
With ANY “Track Time” I’d pick the YZ-FX/WR. Also, if I’m nit mistaken, it takes a bit of work to get real HP out of the...
Sc2 wrote:
Not sure, the sherco come with decent pipe, from what iv read so far is that you have spend a small fortune on a pipe for...
Not sure, the sherco come with decent pipe, from what iv read so far is that you have spend a small fortune on a pipe for wr to wake them up
You can remove the smaller baffle and it'll run fine. If you want more find a new take off from the YZ for a 1/3 the price of an aftermarket slip-on.
Monk
12/5/2020 5:44pm
That 300sef-r is what 250f owners wished a 250f could be.

I owned a 18 250sxf (setup for offroad) and moto'ed both the 300sef-r and 250fx nearly back to back and the 300 was just a better bike... The extra torque on the 300sef-r allowed you to pull from even lower RPM then the famed Yamaha. Unfortunately neither of them were able to out rev the 250sxf but in offroad its rarely the case. The 300sef-r fell narrower then both bikes and easier to make transitions with little input...

The quality is top notch with parts, a couple standards above the Yamaha and even the KTM depending on what parts you are looking at. Add in a fat stator for all your electrical needs and you got yourself a pretty potent offroad machine...
Sc2
12/6/2020 1:27am
TeamGreen wrote:
Sc2 wrote:
Not sure, the sherco come with decent pipe, from what iv read so far is that you have spend a small fortune on a pipe for...
Timo_2824 wrote:
You can remove the smaller baffle and it'll run fine. If you want more find a new take off from the YZ for a 1/3 the...
You can remove the smaller baffle and it'll run fine. If you want more find a new take off from the YZ for a 1/3 the price of an aftermarket slip-on.
They come uncorked in the UK, but guys still will pay 4 - £500 on a bit of tin that's not going to change their life... So good shout on the yzf option
Sc2
12/6/2020 9:12am
Monk wrote:
That 300sef-r is what 250f owners wished a 250f could be. I owned a 18 250sxf (setup for offroad) and moto'ed both the 300sef-r and 250fx...

I owned a 18 250sxf (setup for offroad) and moto'ed both the 300sef-r and 250fx nearly back to back and the 300 was just a better bike... The extra torque on the 300sef-r allowed you to pull from even lower RPM then the famed Yamaha. Unfortunately neither of them were able to out rev the 250sxf but in offroad its rarely the case. The 300sef-r fell narrower then both bikes and easier to make transitions with little input...

The quality is top notch with parts, a couple standards above the Yamaha and even the KTM depending on what parts you are looking at. Add in a fat stator for all your electrical needs and you got yourself a pretty potent offroad machine...
Cheers for feed back, if you've rode them back to back, then you're opinion is a valid one
What does surprise me tho, is you say the sherco is couple of steps above the yam on build quality,
All the things I have read about the yam is everyone raves about the yam "build quality is top notch"
Iv owned a 16 sherco and could nt fault it, hence why I would own another, but atm the mo I think the yam is the bike for me for the job in hand
Monk
12/6/2020 9:26am
Monk wrote:
That 300sef-r is what 250f owners wished a 250f could be. I owned a 18 250sxf (setup for offroad) and moto'ed both the 300sef-r and 250fx...

Sc2 wrote:
Cheers for feed back, if you've rode them back to back, then you're opinion is a valid one What does surprise me tho, is you say...
Cheers for feed back, if you've rode them back to back, then you're opinion is a valid one
What does surprise me tho, is you say the sherco is couple of steps above the yam on build quality,
All the things I have read about the yam is everyone raves about the yam "build quality is top notch"
Iv owned a 16 sherco and could nt fault it, hence why I would own another, but atm the mo I think the yam is the bike for me for the job in hand
I should clarify. The bike I tested was the 300sef-r Factory Edition..

When I describe the build quality, I mean the quality of the components. A fan comes standard, clear tank, billet parts such as triple clamps and hubs, galfer rotors, akrapovich (sp) full exhaust...

The Yamaha for all purposes is a phenomenal bike. And I'll stand on my hat saying the 250FX (including the WR) is the best 'all round' bike you can buy when you consider cost of entry, motor usability, reliability, suspension performance, etc...

I believe the Sherco 300sef-r Factory Edition is more refined, more race specific machine that just puts you a little closer. Unfortunately you could ride and wear out two YZ250FXs over a season for the price of a single Sherco over that same season (at least in my area).

For a rough example I priced out a new Beta 430 Factory Edition at $14,400otd. A new Kawi 450x about $3k cheaper OTD.
Sc2
12/6/2020 9:49am
Fair doos 👍, you're rite the sherco comes with bag of goodies standard
The yam in the UK comes with fan /lights / (I think clear tank) Exel rims plus the the running app is very appealing, admittedly it has standard exhaust, but that don't bother me, as the dealer derestricts them

From what I can see, the yam is hard to beat value for money and I think would be more capable on the motox track, on the fact its based on the yzf

Broseph
12/6/2020 10:46am
Monk wrote:

Sc2 wrote:
Cheers for feed back, if you've rode them back to back, then you're opinion is a valid one What does surprise me tho, is you say...
Monk wrote:
I should clarify. The bike I tested was the 300sef-r Factory Edition.. When I describe the build quality, I mean the quality of the components. A...

When I describe the build quality, I mean the quality of the components. A fan comes standard, clear tank, billet parts such as triple clamps and hubs, galfer rotors, akrapovich (sp) full exhaust...

The Yamaha for all purposes is a phenomenal bike. And I'll stand on my hat saying the 250FX (including the WR) is the best 'all round' bike you can buy when you consider cost of entry, motor usability, reliability, suspension performance, etc...

I believe the Sherco 300sef-r Factory Edition is more refined, more race specific machine that just puts you a little closer. Unfortunately you could ride and wear out two YZ250FXs over a season for the price of a single Sherco over that same season (at least in my area).

For a rough example I priced out a new Beta 430 Factory Edition at $14,400otd. A new Kawi 450x about $3k cheaper OTD.
The big Shercos come with the worst clutch components of any current production dirt bike. To the point where the 300 2T and 450 were not raceable until the plates were swapped with OE plates from another brand. Maybe the 300 4T has better parts? I haven’t worked on one of those yet.
Monk
12/6/2020 11:00am
Sc2 wrote:
Monk wrote:
I should clarify. The bike I tested was the 300sef-r Factory Edition.. When I describe the build quality, I mean the quality of the components. A...

Broseph wrote:
The big Shercos come with the worst clutch components of any current production dirt bike. To the point where the 300 2T and 450 were not...
The big Shercos come with the worst clutch components of any current production dirt bike. To the point where the 300 2T and 450 were not raceable until the plates were swapped with OE plates from another brand. Maybe the 300 4T has better parts? I haven’t worked on one of those yet.
I cannot relate to the durability of the Sherco. I have no long-term first hand experience. It's hard to want one, spend $13k and then have it shit the bed shortly afterwards.

When buying a more known brand, there is generally more access to knowledge, support and parts, so even in the worst scenario you might be able to go to your local dealer and get parts. With limited dealers (at least here in Canada), you only have a handful of places to get parts ACROSS the entire country when it comes to brands like Sherco, TM, Beta...

I know when my buddy ran Betas in 2019, he did suffer some minor mechanicals. I would say 50% was his fault and the other 50% was the bike itself...
MX915
12/6/2020 11:13am
I have a Sherco 300F. There is nothing wrong with the clutch.
Sc2
1/3/2021 1:12am
So, looks likes there couple of other options on the table

The new kwaka xc, but pretty much looks like a kxf with stiffer suspension, can be road legal, but I'm not convinced with out the rite gearbox would be the rite bike
Price is similar to 21 wr

Also new fantic 250xef due out, which is basically the yam wr, but with different plastics and suspect some other minor changes.
It also comes fully road legal (more so than the yam, high /low beam break light and I would of thought a horn)
I'm not sure about fantic tho, even tho same bike as a yam, I would have this physiological niggle it's a fantic
Price TBA

Post a reply to: Yam wr250f v sherco 300 sef 2020

The Latest