Ya think Roger may wanna talk to Herlings?

DaveI
Edited Date/Time 8/28/2017 12:12pm
Three championships in Europe...
Herlings comes here...One day of practice
on a bike that is not the "premier" machine...
And he destroys our best...
39th to 1st...Don't ever recall seeing that
much ever before...1/1 Overall..
Ya think Roger "might" wanna talk to
this guy about coming here for next year?
|
Rowlands
8/26/2017 2:27pm
If you would of asked me that question after moto 1 I think we would all know the answer.
Sodipop
8/26/2017 2:28pm
DaveI wrote:
Three championships in Europe... Herlings comes here...One day of practice on a bike that is not the "premier" machine... And he destroys our best... 39th to...
Their series is tougher. What would make you think he would want to race here instead of go for the world title? Guys from Europe who want to race full time in the USA do it for supercross. Most GP riders don't care about supercross and have little desire to leave that series.
DaveI
8/26/2017 2:31pm
He's already proved everything he needs to in Europe...
KTM is going to sell in Europe no matter what...
They have more to gain here in the U.S. to bring the
title back with Herlings...
Coming to the U.S. and proving what he can do here would
really solidify his legacy...

The Shop

BobbyM
8/26/2017 2:31pm
Imagine that? People from other lands besides the USA can ride a scooter very fast.

Whoda thunk.
Sodipop
8/26/2017 2:32pm
DaveI wrote:
He's already proved everything he needs to in Europe... KTM is going to sell in Europe no matter what... They have more to gain here in...
No it wouldn't. This is why people worldwide think Americans are arrogant.
8/26/2017 2:33pm
I'd imagine Roger has been asking him ever since Roger started at KTM in 2011. But how cool would it be to have the Roczen/Herlings rivalry go to America? Would be epic!!
DaveI
8/26/2017 2:34pm
Staying in Europe proves your the best there...
Not the world...Not arrogance...
tickleme20
8/26/2017 2:39pm
I'd imagine Roger has been asking him ever since Roger started at KTM in 2011. But how cool would it be to have the Roczen/Herlings rivalry...
I'd imagine Roger has been asking him ever since Roger started at KTM in 2011. But how cool would it be to have the Roczen/Herlings rivalry go to America? Would be epic!!
Exactly what I was thinking, this race made me wish KR94 was out there giving him a real challenge!
roninho
8/26/2017 2:40pm
DaveI wrote:
He's already proved everything he needs to in Europe... KTM is going to sell in Europe no matter what... They have more to gain here in...
Well i think the big story the last couple of years was that Herlings hasn't proved everything in Europe (450 title) but was a sandbagger. He is in MXGP now but hasn't won the title. So no i don't think he has proven everything he needed to.

Having said that, Herlings is a guy that prefers to stay close to family and friends, which is the reason he hasn't made a move to the States. He can do one-offs in the US every now and then if he wants to compare himself with the AMA guys if he wants to.

Imo the only way Herlings decides to go to the US is if he wants to prove he is a champ in SX as well.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
8/26/2017 2:42pm
He is not into SX, would not be a good move although he would most likely do better here than in the GP's do to AMA tracks rewarding speed above all else.
roninho
8/26/2017 2:42pm
I'd imagine Roger has been asking him ever since Roger started at KTM in 2011. But how cool would it be to have the Roczen/Herlings rivalry...
To be honest it's a shame for European motocross that there is no TC222-Roczen-Musquin-Gajser-Herlings era in MXGP.
8/26/2017 2:43pm
I don't think there is a place for JH84 in USA,

Sure he may win the outdoors, but so what, from what we know the big money is in SX, his SX skills would be limited.

Nothing KTM USA could pay him to win an outdoors championship would compared to what he earns in the GP's.

That,s not saying that this may not interest him after he were to ever win a MXGP title.

Either way today shows he is a contender on either side of the pond.
logan_140
8/26/2017 2:43pm
DaveI wrote:
Three championships in Europe... Herlings comes here...One day of practice on a bike that is not the "premier" machine... And he destroys our best... 39th to...
Sodipop wrote:
Their series is tougher. What would make you think he would want to race here instead of go for the world title? Guys from Europe who...
Their series is tougher. What would make you think he would want to race here instead of go for the world title? Guys from Europe who want to race full time in the USA do it for supercross. Most GP riders don't care about supercross and have little desire to leave that series.
More money...
sozo
8/26/2017 2:44pm
Seriously... I think a healthy Baggett or a non conservative Eli could of beat him.... today at least.
M-M
8/26/2017 2:50pm
sozo wrote:
Seriously... I think a healthy Baggett or a non conservative Eli could of beat him.... today at least.
And what if Herlings had more ama bike time and knew the track better? He could easily race the outdoors championship and be a contender.
St Ann More
8/26/2017 2:51pm
sozo wrote:
The last time a healthy Baggett raced Herlings he got lapped!
8/26/2017 2:51pm
sozo wrote:
Lay off the Meth,

Really, give credit where it is due.

kongols
8/26/2017 2:53pm
logan_140 wrote:
More money...
Herlings makes the same or more than Roczen. Some even say he`s the best paid racer out there right now.
VicDaMoan03
8/26/2017 2:56pm
What does his supercross skills look like? MX is only half the pie here so it makes sense to stay in Europe if he wants to specialize in MX. I know he has said on several different occasions he had I interest racing the US as a kid.
Ted722
8/26/2017 2:57pm
sozo wrote:
Lay off the Meth,

Really, give credit where it is due.

Grinning
St Ann More
8/26/2017 3:04pm Edited Date/Time 8/26/2017 3:14pm
What does his supercross skills look like? MX is only half the pie here so it makes sense to stay in Europe if he wants to...
What does his supercross skills look like? MX is only half the pie here so it makes sense to stay in Europe if he wants to specialize in MX. I know he has said on several different occasions he had I interest racing the US as a kid.
DV said on the stopwatch he was on par with Musquin!

Most just remember the footage of him diving in the whoops and assuming he was terrible.

Ulimately he's not coming over though, he is making silly money in Europe and has suggested he'd be homesick leaving. It was a dream in his younger days but that's changed! Gasjer/Prado probably the next to come over full-time.
8/26/2017 3:07pm
DaveI wrote:
The same could be said about the National championship.....
DaveI
8/26/2017 3:08pm
And personally...
It would be great to have a little bit of a controversial
figure at the head of our sport here in the U.S. again...
Instead of Wheaties box nice guys...This guy seems
to have an ego big of enough to fit right in here...
8/26/2017 3:10pm
When TC222 retires before to long KTM will pay him (herlings) very well to be their flagship rider in the GPs....I very much doubt you will be seeing him move across to the AMA
jamma10
8/26/2017 3:13pm Edited Date/Time 8/26/2017 3:15pm
What does his supercross skills look like? MX is only half the pie here so it makes sense to stay in Europe if he wants to...
Lots of people will tell you he's terrible at SX because one Youtube video shows him crashing in the whoops on the KTM test track (show me a 16 year old who hasn't crashed learning to ride whoops?). Even Matthes reiterated on a podcast the other day that when Herlings came over to Cali to test a few years ago he 'wasn't very good'.

But if you listen to DV, who supposedly went to watch Herlings practicing, he was actually pretty good. The Youtube videos would suggest as much, because he seems to ride the rest of the track pretty well if you ask me.

edit: I see 'Little Annie' beat me to it Wink
8/26/2017 3:13pm
DaveI wrote:
Sodipop wrote:
No it wouldn't. This is why people worldwide think Americans are arrogant.
^^^Bingo...

A domestic series does not trump the World Champioship for most people.

The legend of Herlings added quite the chapter today. Amazing to watch.
ced64k
8/26/2017 3:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/26/2017 3:19pm
The problem is between Luongo and AMA. It stupid to have 2 motocross championships. All top riders should be in MXGP and the season should start just after the us supercross, with GP all around the world.

But it's the same problem with Formula One and IndyCar, americans don't like to race in other countries. Fortunately Roger DeCoster didn't want to stay in Europe all his life :-)

Maybe now there are many european top riders in US motocross the minds will change and the US riders will not see MXGP like a second class championship...

Husky360
8/26/2017 3:34pm
DaveI wrote:
Not sure about the arrogance issue but it is definitely ignorance if you think MXGP is a European championship.

Post a reply to: Ya think Roger may wanna talk to Herlings?

The Latest