Ya know those guys that ALWAYS say,”It’s the bike!” or “It didn’t do very well in the shoot-out”...?

TeamGreen
Edited Date/Time 2/19/2021 6:55pm
Well, today was the 1st “Road to Mammoth”/Mammoth Qualifier & my so-called race-bikes were in various states of tear-down/rebuild...etc.
Soooooooo...
I took my Straight-Outta the Crate CRF450X to Pala...and raced it. On the main track with all those hair-ball jumps and combos and rollers...ALL of which were awesome...tho, it’s not like I aired all of them or got the Style-Super-Star award; but, I was able to get around the track at a decent pace. Oh, and, I was in the fight for the hole-shot in both Motos (have you seen the drag race that they call ‘the start’ at Pala?) & out on the track I held my own where it mattered. Because, this bike is soooo easy to ride. It’s got as good/better “chassis balance” than most MXers I’ve ridden lately. Sure, this bike IS heavier than a “Legit MXer” & it can be a handful if it “swaps” on a landing (aka landing “cross-rutted”...I may have pooped myself a coupl’a times, today!); but, damn...it was FUN & ya gotta see the look on a guys face when ya beat him at an MX race on this...Woohoo

Any-ways, the point I’m trying to make is this: ALL these damn bikes are GREAT BIKES nowadays. So, go get your ride on!

Manny
2nd 50+ B (AMA)
Road to Mammoth Qualifier #1

ps-I’m thinking I may have to race this thing at Mammoth Grinning

A shout-out to Johnny Campbell for developing a true “do all” dirt bike and a GIANT THANK YOU to...
Bart at Donnell’s Motorcycles for selling me this bike for a great price and getting it out to California.
|
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
2/14/2021 5:25pm
Heck yeah man!
str8line
2/14/2021 5:29pm
Put blinkers a horn and mirrors on it before Mammoth.
TeamGreen
2/14/2021 5:34pm
str8line wrote:
Put blinkers a horn and mirrors on it before Mammoth.
Well, I do have a line on an L...actually for 2021 it’s called an RL...because Honda’s allllll about the R! Grinning
I’m gonna plate this bike eventually...but, in the near future....

What do ya think it’ll look like with a 2020 R-WE tank and shrouds and some “MX kitting”? Silly

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
2/14/2021 5:57pm
^You are right about Honda and Rs. Have you seen the latest top of the line sportbike? I shit you not: CBR1000RR-R.
brocster
2/14/2021 6:05pm
Run what ya brung. Congrats Manny
Chance1216
2/14/2021 6:11pm
Exact bike I was asking about not too long ago. Thanks Manny.
TeamGreen
2/14/2021 6:21pm
How’d your airbrakes work?
Superb.

Some guys had commented of “fogging” and this morning in practice it was cold and humid...I got a little “fogging”’along the top of my view; but, not too bad and I didn’t need to pull out the dual pane lens.
TeamGreen
2/14/2021 6:26pm
tuttle425 wrote:
Is that Donnell's in KC?
Just outside...

Independence, MO...home of Harry Truman.

Great Shop, Amazing People.
tuttle425
2/14/2021 6:35pm
tuttle425 wrote:
Is that Donnell's in KC?
TeamGreen wrote:
Just outside...

Yeah, that's the one. Why go there when you're all the way out in California? Just curious.
Johnny Depp
2/14/2021 6:44pm
Good job, your story doesn't sound too unusual to me. Get a horn and enjoy!
TeamGreen
2/14/2021 6:56pm
tuttle425 wrote:
Is that Donnell's in KC?
TeamGreen wrote:
Just outside...

tuttle425 wrote:
Yeah, that's the one. Why go there when you're all the way out in California? Just curious.
They had a leftover ‘19 on a special Honda deal and Xs were/are virtually un-obtainable out here. Besides, Bart’s made some amazing deals for lots of friends all over the US.
2/14/2021 6:57pm
Great ride representing us 50 plus riders. I went threw KC today on i70 , 12-28 mph at times. Snowing roads where Icey 3 degrees and windy. Lucky your bike wasn’t transported today. Because chance of the driver not making it.
Rocket88
2/14/2021 7:28pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Well, today was the 1st “Road to Mammoth”/Mammoth Qualifier & my so-called race-bikes were in various states of tear-down/rebuild...etc. Soooooooo... I took my Straight-Outta the Crate...
Well, today was the 1st “Road to Mammoth”/Mammoth Qualifier & my so-called race-bikes were in various states of tear-down/rebuild...etc.
Soooooooo...
I took my Straight-Outta the Crate CRF450X to Pala...and raced it. On the main track with all those hair-ball jumps and combos and rollers...ALL of which were awesome...tho, it’s not like I aired all of them or got the Style-Super-Star award; but, I was able to get around the track at a decent pace. Oh, and, I was in the fight for the hole-shot in both Motos (have you seen the drag race that they call ‘the start’ at Pala?) & out on the track I held my own where it mattered. Because, this bike is soooo easy to ride. It’s got as good/better “chassis balance” than most MXers I’ve ridden lately. Sure, this bike IS heavier than a “Legit MXer” & it can be a handful if it “swaps” on a landing (aka landing “cross-rutted”...I may have pooped myself a coupl’a times, today!); but, damn...it was FUN & ya gotta see the look on a guys face when ya beat him at an MX race on this...Woohoo

Any-ways, the point I’m trying to make is this: ALL these damn bikes are GREAT BIKES nowadays. So, go get your ride on!

Manny
2nd 50+ B (AMA)
Road to Mammoth Qualifier #1

ps-I’m thinking I may have to race this thing at Mammoth Grinning

A shout-out to Johnny Campbell for developing a true “do all” dirt bike and a GIANT THANK YOU to...
Bart at Donnell’s Motorcycles for selling me this bike for a great price and getting it out to California.
Way to go Manny! Too cool! - Leon
kylemenz1
Fantasy
765th
2/14/2021 7:55pm
Passing people at Pala on my bike with a license plate is always fun! Old gear and old bike with a plate and can keep up with or be faster then most is gratifying.
Brent
2/14/2021 8:15pm
Dude I’ve seen you ride, I’m not at all surprised you did well no matter what bike you rode. That Honda is pretty awesome though...

Congrats!
TeamGreen
2/15/2021 8:56am
Brent wrote:
Dude I’ve seen you ride, I’m not at all surprised you did well no matter what bike you rode. That Honda is pretty awesome though...

Congrats!
Thanks! I love just focusing on form & when I -rarely- get that right...? The speed comes...but, that wasn’t happening at this race...at first...

On Saturday, in practice, I was COMPLETELY INTIMIDATED by the track...you know...The Main Track at Pala?! So, during a break, I was watching the 2nd Timed Practice/Qualifying Session at Orlando SX on Peacock in the van...Ricky was commenting on the technical aspects of the track and saying...

“They need to just let the track ‘come to them’...”

There it was! Straight outta the GOATs mouth and it made my weekend. I just needed to chill, focus on my form &...”Let the track come to me.” I went back out and had a great session, picked up a few more jumps, nailed some turns and left with a smile.

So, Thanks RC!
Rawly
2/15/2021 11:02am
Good job Team Red 😀
FWYT
2/15/2021 11:28am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2021 11:30am
Man, there is a photo I wish I took, but didn't have a camera. Local race last year (SRA GP at Glen Helen) and there was a guy on an old XR-200. Drum rear brake, jeans, long sleeve T, but he was out there on the big uphills and downhills.

Fast? No. But I saw him smiling after the race and my thought was "That guy just kicked ALL of our asses today. That is what it is all about."

Good job, Manny.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
2/15/2021 12:21pm
Shane Watts rides at one of our local tracks in UT and he straight up hauls ass on his 150 xc-w. Just practice days so can’t say he’s waxing everyone but he certainly looks like the fastest dude

He was such a bad ass in the late 90’s early 2k’s
crowe660
Fantasy
4066th
2/15/2021 12:38pm
This reminds me of being in northern Michigan at a pretty jump filled fair race in around 96 or 97 and Kelly Smith showed up riding an XR400 and destroyed everyone. First time I’d seen a 4 stroke being ridden like that. I like to think I was there when he was getting a head start on thumper era.
aeffertz
2/15/2021 12:41pm
I don’t think people understand shootouts or criticism.

For example, the 2021 Honda CRF-450 was ill received by the public because most testers were very transparent and forward with its issues but I think all of them went on to say it is a better bike than the previous generation. All the comments I read by users online was that the bike was a busy and Honda failed because it wasn’t a perfect bike without issue, even though it was better than the previous bike!

People love to harp on the negatives of anything, bikes being no exception.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
2/15/2021 12:51pm
This is why I decided to try a Suzuki, according to some it should be close to impossible for me to pass anyone Grinning

Nice work out there!
Philly215
2/15/2021 1:10pm
There's a video on youtube of some guy hauling ass and clearing every jump at some track on an XR650L.

And also, I'm sure the bike is more important the more skilled you are but more about suspension and geo being set up properly.
TeamGreen
2/15/2021 1:29pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2021 4:45pm
FWYT wrote:
Man, there is a photo I wish I took, but didn't have a camera. Local race last year (SRA GP at Glen Helen) and there was...
Man, there is a photo I wish I took, but didn't have a camera. Local race last year (SRA GP at Glen Helen) and there was a guy on an old XR-200. Drum rear brake, jeans, long sleeve T, but he was out there on the big uphills and downhills.

Fast? No. But I saw him smiling after the race and my thought was "That guy just kicked ALL of our asses today. That is what it is all about."

Good job, Manny.
Thanks!

Back in the mid 80s, I raced an XR200 (that was given to me for the weekend by Camden Honda) at The Baylands Grand Prix in Fremont, California. I remember being amazed at how "balanced" the bike was and couldn't get over how that little engine would scream. On the "Drag Strip" I remember that little thumper beat the hell outta A LOT of "Big Bikes" going down the pavement...man...that little motor could SCREAM!

So, on top of my 1st "thanks"...thanks, again, for getting me to go down memory lane and reminescing about a really fun part of my life and those amazing days in the CR Support Program. Good times. Very...VERY...Good Times! That era turned me on to "Thumpers" ...XR 350s and 500s and eventually the 600s...in the words of David Lee Roth...

Those were the Good Times.
Damn Good Times.

Thanks,

Manny

Post a reply to: Ya know those guys that ALWAYS say,”It’s the bike!” or “It didn’t do very well in the shoot-out”...?

The Latest