YZ450F 18 problems, already

Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
4/11/2018 10:38am
Hi everyone, We already ran 25 hours on our yz450f 2018 here, and spent more time wrenching than riding. First, the design of the airbox is...
Hi everyone,
We already ran 25 hours on our yz450f 2018 here, and spent more time wrenching than riding.
First, the design of the airbox is just a nightmare. In sand condition, you should have a Dyson in the van, remove the cage and change filter every 30 minutes. We changed for the twinair power flow kit, but it's not better.
So we had to change the cylinder and piston after 15 hours. Already $500.
Then we had problems with the starter. The stater ran 1 time on 10, we checked the starter and changed the part behind the cutch basket. Now it's ok... for 20 hours again? $600
Fuel pump was dead at 15 hours, impossible to start. There is no solution to change a filter or clean. $300
Front rim is like a 8.
Clutch faded in 10 hours.
Clutch basket had to changed at 20 hours.
Now the bike doesn't want start again, we changed the fuel pump and checked the valves but doesn't work.

Besides that, the bike is awesome to ride. The chassis and the power make a perfect match.

Do you guys have issues with this bike ?

That's weird...I thought only KTM's were junk Smile
jsmi33966
4/11/2018 11:26am
Why don't you just connect your cell phone to it and ask Siri what to do? Are you even using your phone while you ride? If you are not thats your problem. Post to facebook via your YZ and see who answers
Lynch
4/11/2018 12:07pm
Meh, I still want one.
stonerb
4/19/2018 7:39pm
I can only agree with MaxFrench with the electrical starter problem. 16 m/h from new and starter doesnt work at all. At the moment I am...
I can only agree with MaxFrench with the electrical starter problem. 16 m/h from new and starter doesnt work at all. At the moment I am waiting for starter clutch, wich cost 300 usd new. I believe this will be a weak spot on a new bike. It is sad that yamaha's warranty can not change this part. Never had any problems with yamahas till now, but no more yami for next year rides.
I unfortunately have to pile on about this problem. My starter seems to be a pile of shit as well. Turns over the motor for a second, them the starter just spins. were you within the 30 day warranty when yours went out? I’m hoping mine qualifies for a warranty fix. Also, have you received your starter clutch yet? It is not in stock on any oem part website that I’ve looked for it. I’m thinking that means this is a pretty common issue on these bikes.

The Shop

4/20/2018 4:26am
I can only agree with MaxFrench with the electrical starter problem. 16 m/h from new and starter doesnt work at all. At the moment I am...
I can only agree with MaxFrench with the electrical starter problem. 16 m/h from new and starter doesnt work at all. At the moment I am waiting for starter clutch, wich cost 300 usd new. I believe this will be a weak spot on a new bike. It is sad that yamaha's warranty can not change this part. Never had any problems with yamahas till now, but no more yami for next year rides.
stonerb wrote:
I unfortunately have to pile on about this problem. My starter seems to be a pile of shit as well. Turns over the motor for a...
I unfortunately have to pile on about this problem. My starter seems to be a pile of shit as well. Turns over the motor for a second, them the starter just spins. were you within the 30 day warranty when yours went out? I’m hoping mine qualifies for a warranty fix. Also, have you received your starter clutch yet? It is not in stock on any oem part website that I’ve looked for it. I’m thinking that means this is a pretty common issue on these bikes.
Yamaha is sendin me new part. My dealer wrote aletter to yamaha with broken part number and they told, that they will send this part for free. I already repaired my bike since i dont have time for waiting. But anyway dont worry they will send you broken part for free, it is called starter clutch. Itcost abut 350usd and you can replace it by yourself.
stonerb
4/20/2018 7:06am
stonerb wrote:
I unfortunately have to pile on about this problem. My starter seems to be a pile of shit as well. Turns over the motor for a...
Yamaha is sendin me new part. My dealer wrote aletter to yamaha with broken part number and they told, that they will send this part for...
Yamaha is sendin me new part. My dealer wrote aletter to yamaha with broken part number and they told, that they will send this part for free. I already repaired my bike since i dont have time for waiting. But anyway dont worry they will send you broken part for free, it is called starter clutch. Itcost abut 350usd and you can replace it by yourself.
Cool dude, thanks for the response. Still a fucking bummer. My bike only has 4.5hrs on it. Do you know what causes the starter clutch to go bad? Where did you find your part at, order from the dealer?
4/20/2018 7:27am
stonerb wrote:
Yamaha is sendin me new part. My dealer wrote aletter to yamaha with broken part number and they told, that they will send this part for...
stonerb wrote:
Cool dude, thanks for the response. Still a fucking bummer. My bike only has 4.5hrs on it. Do you know what causes the starter clutch to...
Cool dude, thanks for the response. Still a fucking bummer. My bike only has 4.5hrs on it. Do you know what causes the starter clutch to go bad? Where did you find your part at, order from the dealer?
Dont worry, they will replace this part anyway, i have bike for 5 month and the only thing they asked me was bike identification and part numbers. This is common problem and yamaha takes care of that. I believe they will send upgraded starter clutch.
stonerb
4/20/2018 1:46pm
stonerb wrote:
Cool dude, thanks for the response. Still a fucking bummer. My bike only has 4.5hrs on it. Do you know what causes the starter clutch to...
Dont worry, they will replace this part anyway, i have bike for 5 month and the only thing they asked me was bike identification and part...
Dont worry, they will replace this part anyway, i have bike for 5 month and the only thing they asked me was bike identification and part numbers. This is common problem and yamaha takes care of that. I believe they will send upgraded starter clutch.
Right on, thanks.
Motofinne
5/14/2018 12:27am
Any more stories of the 2018? I got to ride two different 2018 Yamahas with different settings last week and i loved them.

Should i wait for the 2019 that might get some updates on parts that fail?
Lynch
5/14/2018 12:54am
Motofinne wrote:
Any more stories of the 2018? I got to ride two different 2018 Yamahas with different settings last week and i loved them. Should i wait...
Any more stories of the 2018? I got to ride two different 2018 Yamahas with different settings last week and i loved them.

If you could give some hints on how the bike is compared to the KTM 450 that would be great! Looking to either replace mine with the blue train or a 19 350 Cool
5/14/2018 1:04am
Its up to you what bike color to chose. In my country yamaha is cheaper + you get good spring suspension. This year there are a lot athletes on yamahas in mxgp and they ride very good. Same as KTM. But for me to keep running yamaha is cheaper. If i were you i would wait for 2019 models - ktm will release redisigned model and yamaha will upgrade theirs.
Motofinne
5/14/2018 1:56am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2018 1:58am
Motofinne wrote:
Any more stories of the 2018? I got to ride two different 2018 Yamahas with different settings last week and i loved them. Should i wait...

Lynch wrote:
If you could give some hints on how the bike is compared to the KTM 450 that would be great! Looking to either replace mine with...
If you could give some hints on how the bike is compared to the KTM 450 that would be great! Looking to either replace mine with the blue train or a 19 350 Cool
Well first off, the suspension on the bikes i rode were not stock. One had the KYB kit shock and the other had KYB kit internals. And the forks had some aftermarket forkcaps and they were revalved.

I'm only 175cm "long", so the biggest thing i felt was that the Yamaha was smaller. The gap between the footpegs and the seat was way, way shorter than on the KTM and that was a huge difference. The Yamaha was clearly heavier. But it did somehow turn better for me than my own KTM 450. I think that has a lot to do with me feeling more comfortable on the "smaller" Yamaha?

I could wait for the 19 but at the same time i might get a really good deal on the 18. Difficult to make a decision... Then we have brand new KTMs that will be here within a month. I'm going insaneGrinning

I do have to give Yamaha credit. I rode the 2017 YZF 450 and i thought it was junk. The step from the 17 to 18 is huge, at least for a shorter rider.
Lynch
5/14/2018 2:19am
Motofinne wrote:
Well first off, the suspension on the bikes i rode were not stock. One had the KYB kit shock and the other had KYB kit internals...
Well first off, the suspension on the bikes i rode were not stock. One had the KYB kit shock and the other had KYB kit internals. And the forks had some aftermarket forkcaps and they were revalved.

I'm only 175cm "long", so the biggest thing i felt was that the Yamaha was smaller. The gap between the footpegs and the seat was way, way shorter than on the KTM and that was a huge difference. The Yamaha was clearly heavier. But it did somehow turn better for me than my own KTM 450. I think that has a lot to do with me feeling more comfortable on the "smaller" Yamaha?

I could wait for the 19 but at the same time i might get a really good deal on the 18. Difficult to make a decision... Then we have brand new KTMs that will be here within a month. I'm going insaneGrinning

I do have to give Yamaha credit. I rode the 2017 YZF 450 and i thought it was junk. The step from the 17 to 18 is huge, at least for a shorter rider.
The yamaha being too small is what I am afraid of, I sat on one last weekend and with me being ~185cm is not helping one bit. I really need to try one before I decide or a 350 will be my next step Silly

I am kind of in the same boat, could wait for the 19 KTM's but it also makes sense to wait for the 19 Yamaha if the updates are crucial. The easiest thing would be to get a new KTM and be done with it but it could also give me some motivation if I switch brands.
Motofinne
5/14/2018 2:32am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2018 2:41am
Motofinne wrote:
Well first off, the suspension on the bikes i rode were not stock. One had the KYB kit shock and the other had KYB kit internals...

Lynch wrote:
The yamaha being too small is what I am afraid of, I sat on one last weekend and with me being ~185cm is not helping one...
The yamaha being too small is what I am afraid of, I sat on one last weekend and with me being ~185cm is not helping one bit. I really need to try one before I decide or a 350 will be my next step Silly

I am kind of in the same boat, could wait for the 19 KTM's but it also makes sense to wait for the 19 Yamaha if the updates are crucial. The easiest thing would be to get a new KTM and be done with it but it could also give me some motivation if I switch brands.
Yeah i'm in the same boat. I've been on KTMs since 2014 and a change could be good!

Well i'm still waiting on the offer from the dealer. The thing with getting an 18 would be that i could get it a lot cheaper than the 19. And the 19 wont get any performance updates.
MotoX85
5/14/2018 7:16pm
Motofinne wrote:

Lynch wrote:
The yamaha being too small is what I am afraid of, I sat on one last weekend and with me being ~185cm is not helping one...

I'm 6 ft 4 inches, 240lbs and I have no issues with the size of the bike and am actually kind of wondering how it could be said that this is a small bike. Ive rode KTMs and really cant tell too much of a difference in size.

I do run tall Kevin Windham bend pro taper bars thought which are about a full inch taller than stock.
MotoX85
5/14/2018 7:18pm
I would, however, like to slap the genius that designed the airbox / air filter. Use extreme care when replacing filters and go buy an airbox cover for washing as soon as you buy your bike. Also I have had battery issues and Yamaha has already listed a replacement part number so they know there is an issue with them also.
wreckitrandy
5/14/2018 7:48pm
Acidreamer wrote:
Thats why you dont buy a fuckin yamaha. Even their guitars sound like balls
I'd like to find a Ty Tabor model Yamaha.
Lynch
5/14/2018 9:48pm
MotoX85 wrote:
I'm 6 ft 4 inches, 240lbs and I have no issues with the size of the bike and am actually kind of wondering how it could...
I'm 6 ft 4 inches, 240lbs and I have no issues with the size of the bike and am actually kind of wondering how it could be said that this is a small bike. Ive rode KTMs and really cant tell too much of a difference in size.

I do run tall Kevin Windham bend pro taper bars thought which are about a full inch taller than stock.
As mentioned I have not actually ridden one, only sat on one with 997 bars and what felt small to me is the height between the pegs-seat and the actual height from ground to the lowest point of the seat.

Hopefully I will be able to ride one before I make up my mind about what bike to buy.
fpandjic
5/20/2018 8:17am
It seems that Yamaha has already issued a replacement part. The old part BR9-15570-00-00 -> new part BR9-15570-10-00
stonerb
5/20/2018 9:04am
fpandjic wrote:
It seems that Yamaha has already issued a replacement part. The old part BR9-15570-00-00 -> new part BR9-15570-10-00
Follow up with my issue with the bad starter clutch, Yamaha covered it as they should, since it was under warranty. I do need to see if they replaced it with this updated part #, though.
Kenman
7/7/2018 8:00am
A buddy of mine just lost his transmission trying to qualify for RedBud. 2018 Yz450 less than 10 hours stock motor, fmf pipe. Same happened to his practice bike last week. 18’ 450 maybe 15 hours. Both are down, parts are on back order.
Matt414
7/7/2018 3:33pm
What color power band did you put in it?
7/7/2018 11:51pm
I'm 100% sure its not bikes problem, its the riders riding style. It jad problems with clutch but not with transmission.
foreman52
Fantasy
3178th
7/18/2018 4:02pm
I quickly skimmed through these comments. Some of this may have been mentioned already.

I have had nothing but horrible luck with my 2018 YZ450F. My story - Six hours on the bike and third gear started skipping at a high RPM. It sat in the shop for five weeks swapping every part imaginable. Along the way they also found out that the valves were completely out of spec and needed to be shimmed. They couldn't figure out the problem so Yamaha put a brand new motor in it (major major push from my local dealer). I have now had my bike back for 2 1/2 weeks with five rides at approx 5 hours and now the starter clutch has gone (out of this brand new motor).

My other riding buddy has had his in the shop twice this year from the starter clutch. Went at 15 hours the first time, and seven hours this time.

I owned a 2016 and a 2017 YZ250F and had to replace the intake valves twice in once season on the 16 (22 hr/50hr) and once on the 17 (36hr). Two other riding partners both bought brand new 17's last year and the valves went in both them at 10hrs.

I raced Suzuki's from 2010-2015, but during 2008-2009 I had a 08 YZ125, 08 YZ250F, and a 09 YZ250F. Those bikes were unreal how reliable they were. Either we have got a whole batch of lemons or Yamaha is easily the most unreliable bike on the market right now.

It's safe to say that my faith in the blue brand is out the window. Frustrating for me and the dealer.

foreman52
Fantasy
3178th
7/18/2018 4:05pm
fpandjic wrote:
stonerb wrote:
Follow up with my issue with the bad starter clutch, Yamaha covered it as they should, since it was under warranty. I do need to see...
Follow up with my issue with the bad starter clutch, Yamaha covered it as they should, since it was under warranty. I do need to see if they replaced it with this updated part #, though.
How about did you get yours covered under warranty? Is there a recall on the part?
mxrider971
7/18/2018 5:30pm
Yamaha is certainly not the most unreliable bike on the market. Your luck has run out or your doing something wrong. Either way It’s a frustrating ordeal and hopefully you have no problems with your next bike, whatever brand it may be.
NeedMoto
7/18/2018 6:27pm
50 hrs on mine. Perfect, hasn't had any issues.
stonerb
7/18/2018 7:26pm
foreman52 wrote:
How about did you get yours covered under warranty? Is there a recall on the part?
I got “lucky” and it was within the 30-day warranty.
fiddy
7/19/2018 3:09am
Starter clutch is not available till August 30.

Post a reply to: YZ450F 18 problems, already

The Latest