YZ250 Plastic Questions

Anonymous (not verified)
Edited Date/Time 7/25/2018 7:34pm
I need some help on quality plastic. I mostly run UFO and Acerbis. The UFO restyle kit is solid, but I am only running the back end,front fender, and sometimes the number plate(I like the 450 better). So as far as I know UFO is ok? Quality seems well on the parts I do have. Have not tried Cycra or UFO shrouds on my 07.

Anyways here is my problem. These are Acerbis You can see the ribs through these plastics, they are thin, and they are floppy. The white creases are NOT from dropping it. That is the second ride on them.

Now let's look at the Acerbis that I took off and from my 97 yz. You can see the ribs a little, but they are twice as thick. They tend to break more than fold(as you can see from the old 07 shrouds)

I have other examples also, but I don't want to waste your guys time(and dig out more shrouds). I need Input on what brand(or perhaps year of said brand) I can purchase that isn't complete sh!t. These Acerbis are as bad as the Pollisports I tried on the 97. The ribs that show through would also make the graphics look terrible imo. They are that bad.

Also, who makes, where you do you buy front fenders not drilled? I want the 450 one pre 2018(or 17?). I don't like the restyle or the latest versions. Thanks guys. This game has been old for a while now.

|
kb228
7/24/2018 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2018 12:22pm
It comes with the territory of having blue plastics. Graphics are the only way to hide all that. You can use a heat gun to reduce the visibility of the white marks
Doddy
7/24/2018 12:30pm
White marks are not the problem. It gets the plastics torched regularly. Look at deformation in the picture. You can see the right side has fitment issue if you look half way down where the tank pushes against it. The radiator is not bent either.
Doddy
7/24/2018 12:35pm
You crash a lot.
HA! Nope. I just run/race it in the woods/mountains. The old 07 shrouds are broken from a small crash though lol.

The Shop

JBecker 72
7/24/2018 12:35pm
Honestly, nothing compares to the OE Yamaha plastic as far as fit and durability. The Cycra stuff I have on my 13 is also pretty thin. But I have graphics to cover it up so no big deal.

Can’t help on the front fender. Pretty sure your only options are the 15+ OE and drill holes, or use a restyle Cycra or UFO.
Doddy
7/24/2018 1:58pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2018 2:04pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
Honestly, nothing compares to the OE Yamaha plastic as far as fit and durability. The Cycra stuff I have on my 13 is also pretty thin...
Honestly, nothing compares to the OE Yamaha plastic as far as fit and durability. The Cycra stuff I have on my 13 is also pretty thin. But I have graphics to cover it up so no big deal.

Can’t help on the front fender. Pretty sure your only options are the 15+ OE and drill holes, or use a restyle Cycra or UFO.
How is the fitment on yours? Being a little thin doesn't seem like a huge issue as long as it fit's well enough and is the correct shape.

Thanks for the input everyone. Problem with OE is I would like other colors too. Perhaps the question I should of asked is, "who makes a quality yellow plastics kit" Smile

Herb,
What front fender and number plate did you use? Is the front end updated?
7/24/2018 2:17pm
Cycra vented front number plate. Had to build studs for the lower part of the triple tree, not that hard. Also collar for mounting bolt. Front fender think it was a ufo restyle fender, same as 17 yz’s but the holes are different then oem.

7/24/2018 2:21pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2018 2:23pm
Front number plate sits a little high, but turned out ok
JBecker 72
7/24/2018 2:32pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
Honestly, nothing compares to the OE Yamaha plastic as far as fit and durability. The Cycra stuff I have on my 13 is also pretty thin...

Doddy wrote:
How is the fitment on yours? Being a little thin doesn't seem like a huge issue as long as it fit's well enough and is the...
How is the fitment on yours? Being a little thin doesn't seem like a huge issue as long as it fit's well enough and is the correct shape.

Thanks for the input everyone. Problem with OE is I would like other colors too. Perhaps the question I should of asked is, "who makes a quality yellow plastics kit" Smile

Herb,
What front fender and number plate did you use? Is the front end updated?
Mine are the Cycra Powerflow with the restyled side panels that fit the old airbox. The fit is really good for aftermarket, nothing is hard to get lined up, but it’s still not quite like OE. Overall though, I’d buy them again.

JBecker 72
7/24/2018 2:33pm
My friends stock 2017 fits the exact same. Just how they look. Kinda weird how Yamaha did that.
REED49
7/24/2018 2:38pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2018 2:40pm
If you go on Rocky Mountain and look up “Yamaha plastic conversion kit” they offer and kit that has all OEM plastic and air box for a discounted price. That is what I bought when I wanted to do the restyle and everything looked and lined up great being it’s all OEM products.
race
7/24/2018 5:49pm
Been meaning to update my '09. Got some questions -

Soooo .... the Rocky Mountain OEM kit looks good. Gives you everything but the lower fork guards and the front number plate. What are the options to get those two items updated? Would like to stay with OEM plastic but it appears that neither of those will match up (which is probably why they are not included in the kit).

Has anyone tried adapting the 2015 number plate to a 2009 or equivalent?

As for the fork guards .... if they've moved the mounting points on the fork lug then it would seem I will have to stay with 2009 guards. Is there a huge difference visually between the years?

Also, some of the RM kit reviews mention needing a rivet gun. Is that for the air box?

7/24/2018 11:32pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2018 11:34pm
race wrote:
Been meaning to update my '09. Got some questions - Soooo .... the Rocky Mountain OEM kit looks good. Gives you everything [u]but[/u] the lower fork...

Soooo .... the Rocky Mountain OEM kit looks good. Gives you everything but the lower fork guards and the front number plate. What are the options to get those two items updated? Would like to stay with OEM plastic but it appears that neither of those will match up (which is probably why they are not included in the kit).

As for the fork guards .... if they've moved the mounting points on the fork lug then it would seem I will have to stay with 2009 guards. Is there a huge difference visually between the years?

Also, some of the RM kit reviews mention needing a rivet gun. Is that for the air box?

The newer front number plate will fit, you just have to trim the bottom middle a bit for it to fit nice. The fork guards will bolt straight up. There's a rubber flap on top of the air box that you need to remove & rivet back onto the new one.
race
7/25/2018 12:56pm
race wrote:
Been meaning to update my '09. Got some questions - Soooo .... the Rocky Mountain OEM kit looks good. Gives you everything [u]but[/u] the lower fork...

The newer front number plate will fit, you just have to trim the bottom middle a bit for it to fit nice. The fork guards will...
The newer front number plate will fit, you just have to trim the bottom middle a bit for it to fit nice. The fork guards will bolt straight up. There's a rubber flap on top of the air box that you need to remove & rivet back onto the new one.
Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Now I need to find a graphics pkg.

Any recommends for a clean factory YZ look?

JBecker 72
7/25/2018 1:04pm
race wrote:

The newer front number plate will fit, you just have to trim the bottom middle a bit for it to fit nice. The fork guards will...
race wrote:

Mine are Decal MX and are copies of the OE 2016 graphics.
7/25/2018 1:05pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2018 1:06pm
race wrote:

7/25/2018 1:10pm
race wrote:

race wrote:

This is my 2018 YZ125

race
7/25/2018 1:47pm
Problem is I don't really know what I want ... but I'll know it when I see it.

One thing I was wondering is if anyone makes the factory racing side covers (clutch, ignition) but in an anodized finish. The ones I've seen are just painted and those scuff up really fast.
njracer46
7/25/2018 1:47pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
My friends stock 2017 fits the exact same. Just how they look. Kinda weird how Yamaha did that.
I hate it. Not only does it look horrible but also leaves the bottom triple clamp vulnerable to roost. I ended up making a small bracket out of thin aluminum flat stock to drop the number plate down to the fender. I can take a pic for anyone wanting to make one, pretty simple.
JBecker 72
7/25/2018 2:22pm
race wrote:
Problem is I don't really know what I want ... but I'll know it when I see it. One thing I was wondering is if anyone...
Problem is I don't really know what I want ... but I'll know it when I see it.

One thing I was wondering is if anyone makes the factory racing side covers (clutch, ignition) but in an anodized finish. The ones I've seen are just painted and those scuff up really fast.
The GYTR clutch cover is hard anodized.
race
7/25/2018 6:03pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
njracer46 wrote:
I hate it. Not only does it look horrible but also leaves the bottom triple clamp vulnerable to roost. I ended up making a small bracket...
I hate it. Not only does it look horrible but also leaves the bottom triple clamp vulnerable to roost. I ended up making a small bracket out of thin aluminum flat stock to drop the number plate down to the fender. I can take a pic for anyone wanting to make one, pretty simple.
Can always use a pic. Might go that route.

I don't like that gap either.

Doddy
7/25/2018 6:30pm
As I know I can make pretty much any numberplate fit, but do any of you know how a stadium plate(that covers the clamps) fits or if it fits at all? I have only seen one on the newest version that didn't have a huge gap. I don't mind the gap to much, but the plate should cover the clamps.

Herb: Thanks.I'm really liking the vented plate. I think I may have to pick one up.
njracer46
7/25/2018 7:28pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2018 7:34pm
race wrote:
Can always use a pic. Might go that route.

I don't like that gap either.

Also made one for the older style clamps on my 14 2 stroke

7/25/2018 10:33pm
Herb: Thanks.I'm really liking the vented plate. I think I may have to pick one up.

Good luck, I can't find those any where.

Post a reply to: YZ250 Plastic Questions

The Latest