YZ250/F or KTM 250 SX/SXF

Hi everyone,

I have just sold my KTM 200 EXC as after a few years of enduro iam wanting a more motocross style bike. I will be doing practice days at tracks as well as hare scramble and motocross races. I like the idea of a motocross bike as the gearing seems to work better for me. My problem is that i cannot decide weather to get a YZ250 or a KTM 250 sx or the 4 stroke variant of the pair. Obviously my previous bike was a 2 stroke so thats what im used to and i like the power delivery of 2 strokes in general. I currently race the AA class in enduros and hare scrambles if that helps. I have looked around and i have seen the the suspension on the Yam is much better as i dont like the idea of having to set air pressures in the KTM's air forks at all. Iam 16 and roughly 68KG or 149.914lbs. Which bike would you guys recommend for me? I live in the UK and both the Yamaha dealer and KTM dealer offer excellent support and are both fairly close. Im currently leaning towards the Yamaha YZ250 2 stroke as i want something that isnt orange lol. Let me know your thoughts.

Robert
|
ron36
12/10/2018 11:03am
250 4stroke i would take the yamaha, 250 2 stroke i would take the ktm.
I ride them all, got a sxf450 now en rode a yz250 for years. The sx250 would be my choise.
12/10/2018 11:09am
ron36 wrote:
250 4stroke i would take the yamaha, 250 2 stroke i would take the ktm. I ride them all, got a sxf450 now en rode a...
I ride them all, got a sxf450 now en rode a yz250 for years. The sx250 would be my choise.
Why not the 2 stroke Yamaha may i ask? The KTM just seems very flimsy compared to the Yamaha, apart from the counterbalancing what makes it better do you know?
swtwtwtw
12/10/2018 12:26pm
ron36 wrote:
250 4stroke i would take the yamaha, 250 2 stroke i would take the ktm. I ride them all, got a sxf450 now en rode a...
Why not the 2 stroke Yamaha may i ask? The KTM just seems very flimsy compared to the Yamaha, apart from the counterbalancing what makes it...
Why not the 2 stroke Yamaha may i ask? The KTM just seems very flimsy compared to the Yamaha, apart from the counterbalancing what makes it better do you know?
Many of us have ridden both, my choice would be the ktm sx. It is night and day better than the yz. More power, better suspension and very reliable. In stock form the yz feels like a 200cc bike compared to the ktm.
12/10/2018 12:30pm
ron36 wrote:
Why not the 2 stroke Yamaha may i ask? The KTM just seems very flimsy compared to the Yamaha, apart from the counterbalancing what makes it...
swtwtwtw wrote:
Many of us have ridden both, my choice would be the ktm sx. It is night and day better than the yz. More power, better suspension...
Many of us have ridden both, my choice would be the ktm sx. It is night and day better than the yz. More power, better suspension and very reliable. In stock form the yz feels like a 200cc bike compared to the ktm.
I just dont want to mess about with all the air suspension stuff that the KTM's have. ive seen more KTM's at the side of the track with tool kits surrounding them than the yams. In my experience the Yams seem morte reliable. i could be wrong.

The Shop

chump6784
12/10/2018 12:38pm
ron36 wrote:
I was making this exact decision a couple months ago.

On paper the KTM wins hands down. It has a better chassis, is lighter, better brakes, counterbalancer, makes more power and has hydro clutch. Some people say that the air fork is nearly as good as the yz, others hate it.
The YZ on the other hand has been around for years, has better suspension and is bullet proof.

Now as far as actually riding them, in 2015 yamaha went to a 270mm front rotor, while this still isn't Brembo stopping power it is a big improvement over the 250mm rotor on earlier years.
The engines are also different in the way they make their power. The ktm had a strong mid range and tends to fall off quicker up top. Also has hardly any vibration. The yz is more linear, less through the mid but pulls longer up top.
The ktm chassis is just better than the yamaha, turns in better but is still stable at speed.
As said before, some rate the ktm suspension as close to the yz, others hate it

I personally think the yz is the better built bike and as i get older appreciate good suspension so that's what i bought. A DEP or HGS pipe is a great addition to the yz, both are smooth but increase the power well.

Dirt rider did a shootout of these bikes in 2017, the ktm got the nod as the easiest to go fast on out of the crate but the yz was right there behind it
12/10/2018 12:41pm
I just dont want to mess about with all the air suspension stuff that the KTM's have. ive seen more KTM's at the side of the...
I just dont want to mess about with all the air suspension stuff that the KTM's have. ive seen more KTM's at the side of the track with tool kits surrounding them than the yams. In my experience the Yams seem morte reliable. i could be wrong.
Yamaha build quality is definitely better then KTM. The engine needs some work though.
12/10/2018 12:44pm
ron36 wrote:
chump6784 wrote:
I was making this exact decision a couple months ago. On paper the KTM wins hands down. It has a better chassis, is lighter, better brakes...
I was making this exact decision a couple months ago.

On paper the KTM wins hands down. It has a better chassis, is lighter, better brakes, counterbalancer, makes more power and has hydro clutch. Some people say that the air fork is nearly as good as the yz, others hate it.
The YZ on the other hand has been around for years, has better suspension and is bullet proof.

Now as far as actually riding them, in 2015 yamaha went to a 270mm front rotor, while this still isn't Brembo stopping power it is a big improvement over the 250mm rotor on earlier years.
The engines are also different in the way they make their power. The ktm had a strong mid range and tends to fall off quicker up top. Also has hardly any vibration. The yz is more linear, less through the mid but pulls longer up top.
The ktm chassis is just better than the yamaha, turns in better but is still stable at speed.
As said before, some rate the ktm suspension as close to the yz, others hate it

I personally think the yz is the better built bike and as i get older appreciate good suspension so that's what i bought. A DEP or HGS pipe is a great addition to the yz, both are smooth but increase the power well.

Dirt rider did a shootout of these bikes in 2017, the ktm got the nod as the easiest to go fast on out of the crate but the yz was right there behind it
Thats exactly what i was wanting to hear. The KTM always wins on paper but the Yams are bullet proof (which im wanting) and have all there power up top as 95% of the time i have the throttle open lol. Thankyou for your comment Smile
12/10/2018 12:45pm
I just dont want to mess about with all the air suspension stuff that the KTM's have. ive seen more KTM's at the side of the...
Yamaha build quality is definitely better then KTM. The engine needs some work though.
Im not so bothered about the overall power as im no expert at the end of the day. The Yam seems to fit me better i think.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
12/10/2018 12:46pm
ron36 wrote:
Everything is better on the sx (former yz owner)
12/10/2018 1:06pm
ron36 wrote:
seth505 wrote:
I just feel like the YZ suits my riding style better. The KTM when I rode it felt not as agile as the YZ for some reason. I liked the YZ a bit more I think as it seems more reliable and bullet proof and it is a timeless design imo
ron36
12/10/2018 3:39pm

The time that the japs ​​were better quality is just behind us, i had alot of them. A KTM is really great.
Yamaha good quality? How often do these gearboxes have to be opened? 3rd and 4th are regularly broken.

With the 4 stroke, the yzf250 is really a super package out of the crate. Everything is right. The ktm is 4 stroke is also good, but for the hobby rider just a bit less easy to ride.

In the 2 stroke, the overall picture of the KTM is just better, I think, the only drawback is that the KTM falls away on top. That is solved with a good head and exhaust. The yamaha needs a lot more work.
T-Fish
Fantasy
173rd
12/10/2018 4:32pm Edited Date/Time 12/10/2018 4:33pm
Do you like orange or blue better?

That will be your answer.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
12/10/2018 8:36pm
seth505 wrote:
I just feel like the YZ suits my riding style better. The KTM when I rode it felt not as agile as the YZ for some...
I just feel like the YZ suits my riding style better. The KTM when I rode it felt not as agile as the YZ for some reason. I liked the YZ a bit more I think as it seems more reliable and bullet proof and it is a timeless design imo
The yz is a great bike, I can see some liking it better. Mine shattered gears unfortunately which isn't all that uncommon with them.
12/11/2018 1:46am
seth505 wrote:
I just feel like the YZ suits my riding style better. The KTM when I rode it felt not as agile as the YZ for some...
seth505 wrote:
The yz is a great bike, I can see some liking it better. Mine shattered gears unfortunately which isn't all that uncommon with them.
Ive heard that before, but then again my past KTM did the same thing so i guess it can happen with any bike.
chump6784
12/11/2018 2:34am
Mate go with your gut. Here's the thing, if you buy the ktm and something goes wrong you'll be kicking yourself for buying the ktm cos in your head you knew it would be a problem. If something goes wrong with the yz you'll be pissed but ok with it because sometimes stuff breaks. I know this because my brother said the same thing to me when I was trying to decide.
yz133rider
12/11/2018 4:43am
Your asking yz or ktm then saying you dont like ktms, think they are junk, broken down, and like yamahas.

Is there a point to this discussion?
resetjet
12/11/2018 5:55am
AA class on a 200exc? What series do you ride???
Fwiw i still ride my 200sx in enduros even though i have modern bikes i ride in hs and a little moto.
12/11/2018 6:07am
resetjet wrote:
AA class on a 200exc? What series do you ride??? Fwiw i still ride my 200sx in enduros even though i have modern bikes i ride...
AA class on a 200exc? What series do you ride???
Fwiw i still ride my 200sx in enduros even though i have modern bikes i ride in hs and a little moto.
I race the fast eddies series aswell as the edge off-road series. im fromcthe UK so it may be different to you guys over the pond.
12/11/2018 6:10am
yz133rider wrote:
Your asking yz or ktm then saying you dont like ktms, think they are junk, broken down, and like yamahas. Is there a point to this...
Your asking yz or ktm then saying you dont like ktms, think they are junk, broken down, and like yamahas.

Is there a point to this discussion?
I don’t hate KTM’s at all. Like i say i had a KTM before and it seemed to brake down more often than the yams and i looked after it and did everything i should of like change the oil every 2 rides and the air filter was cleaned every ride. I have ridden the Yam once and it seemed more sturdy and well built than the KTM. Im just wanting all sides both positive and negative so i can compare the 2. From what people have said so far the Yam seems better for me.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
12/11/2018 7:30am
I don’t hate KTM’s at all. Like i say i had a KTM before and it seemed to brake down more often than the yams and...
I don’t hate KTM’s at all. Like i say i had a KTM before and it seemed to brake down more often than the yams and i looked after it and did everything i should of like change the oil every 2 rides and the air filter was cleaned every ride. I have ridden the Yam once and it seemed more sturdy and well built than the KTM. Im just wanting all sides both positive and negative so i can compare the 2. From what people have said so far the Yam seems better for me.
I think if your gut is saying YZ then you should get that for sure. That said, to dive in deeper, here are my thoughts on each aspect of the bikes, having owned both.

Brakes- KTM no contest
Chassis- KTM
Suspension- Give it to the YZ but for me personally they are pretty equal. I revalved my yz, it wasn't amazing/perfect out of the box for me and I didn't even need new spring rates either.
Motor- KTM no contest
Working on bike- KTM (much easier layout/intuitive IMO)
Hardware- KTM
Wheels- YZ (I always end up with aftermarket wheels anyway)
Ergos- KTM (this is different for everyone though)
AJ565
12/11/2018 7:44am
You really need to ride both. I have the KTM and it's amazing. I did ride the YZ at one of the Yamaha ride days and I really liked the suspension, but I hated the engine. My hands and feet were numb after 2 laps it vibrates so much vs. the counter balance I'm used to and it felt under powered. I felt it hard to push on the YZ vs. my SX and the bike felt very stiff since the frame is aluminum. I had my AER's revalved after and they were much better to the point I's place them really close to the SSS fork, but with the adjust-ability to add PSI for different tracks. Again, you really need to ride both.
Denn700
12/11/2018 8:45am
2 stroke YZ250
4 stroke KTM250SX-F
12/11/2018 9:33am
I don’t hate KTM’s at all. Like i say i had a KTM before and it seemed to brake down more often than the yams and...
seth505 wrote:
I think if your gut is saying YZ then you should get that for sure. That said, to dive in deeper, here are my thoughts on...
I think if your gut is saying YZ then you should get that for sure. That said, to dive in deeper, here are my thoughts on each aspect of the bikes, having owned both.

Brakes- KTM no contest
Chassis- KTM
Suspension- Give it to the YZ but for me personally they are pretty equal. I revalved my yz, it wasn't amazing/perfect out of the box for me and I didn't even need new spring rates either.
Motor- KTM no contest
Working on bike- KTM (much easier layout/intuitive IMO)
Hardware- KTM
Wheels- YZ (I always end up with aftermarket wheels anyway)
Ergos- KTM (this is different for everyone though)
Like you say i guess its all personal preference. I have ridden both of them but not on the same day. I felt the ergos and the suspension were better on the YZ and it felt more ridged which i like. I do agree the KTM may have a better engine but im not a pro obviously so im not going to be pushing it that hard 24/7.
12/11/2018 9:34am
Denn700 wrote:
2 stroke YZ250
4 stroke KTM250SX-F
May i ask why you say this? Im not saying its wrong i would just like to know your reasoning.

Thankyou
resetjet
12/11/2018 11:37am
I race the fast eddies series aswell as the edge off-road series. im fromcthe UK so it may be different to you guys over the pond.
Well that explains it. I think the last year they made a 200 exc for the states was like 2004
12/11/2018 1:27pm
resetjet wrote:
Well that explains it. I think the last year they made a 200 exc for the states was like 2004
My 200exc was one of the last years they made the model. They no longer make a 200 in the UK only a 150 instead.
Denn700
12/11/2018 2:17pm
Denn700 wrote:
2 stroke YZ250
4 stroke KTM250SX-F
May i ask why you say this? Im not saying its wrong i would just like to know your reasoning.

Thankyou
I have owned a YZ250 and KTM250SX and I preferred the motor and the suspension on the YZ. The power was smoother on the YZ and that is what I prefer on a 2 stroke.
I have also ridden several friends bikes and that have owned both.
On the 250F I like the opposite. The power is already smooth and I prefer to rev the motor more and that is why I like the KTM. If I wanted a bike with more bottom I would get the YZ.
Both are great bikes and I would take either.
kage173
12/11/2018 3:23pm
The only reason to take YZ250 over a KTM is if you're buying used because you can buy a 10 year old bike for $2500 that is the exact same as $7,300 bike off the showroom floor. Why the hell would anybody buy a new YZ250? If you're going to pay $7k, then you might as well get a modern bike that is superior in every way and go KTM. The KTM 250SX has a tunable power valve, different maps, more power over all, way better brakes, better clutch, do I need to keep going?

Post a reply to: YZ250/F or KTM 250 SX/SXF

The Latest