YZ125 or CRF250R

usafwx
So I spent a year on my 2016 YZ125 after a few years on a YZ250F and have absolutely loved it. Bike is so flickable and easy to maneuver. Cheap on maintenance, great bike overall. Only complaints would be the typical 2 stroke complaints, carbureted (so far has been great, but eventually I'm sure I'll be chasing carb demons), sucks on a tight technical track or muddy conditions.

Last week I rode a 2015 CRF250R and loved it even with the air forks. Which got me considering a 4 stroke again. I would love to have fuel injection, gobs of torque and of course a new bike again for next season. I found one for $5900 OTD which seemed like a great price. I'm just hesitating as at this point in my life can only do one bike in the garage at a time and would be upset if I sold my YZ only to regret it, already had a lot of interest on my YZ so not concerned with losing much on it for a year of riding. As with all great moto questions, figured I'd let the vitards chime in. I know I'm gonna get the whole 2 stroke Taliban or die input, etc. Just like everyone's thoughts.
|
8/9/2016 11:06am
If you race and are in any way competitive then go 4 stroke. If you love practice riding, or just enjoy being on the bike keep the two stroke. Everyone on here will tell you that the 4 stroke will put down the better lap time and not tire you out as much. I have both in the garage at the moment (250 and 450 in my case).
emohteeoh
8/9/2016 11:07am
Keep the 125 and treat yourself to some new parts.

It'll feel like new and you will avoid the 4 stroke maintenance headaches.

usafwx
8/9/2016 11:32am
JWACK wrote:
Ktm 150 bro. Cool
Had one, not a fan. Lol. Beautiful bike though.

The Shop

usafwx
8/9/2016 11:33am
If you race and are in any way competitive then go 4 stroke. If you love practice riding, or just enjoy being on the bike keep...
If you race and are in any way competitive then go 4 stroke. If you love practice riding, or just enjoy being on the bike keep the two stroke. Everyone on here will tell you that the 4 stroke will put down the better lap time and not tire you out as much. I have both in the garage at the moment (250 and 450 in my case).
Race for fun every once and awhile but always finish in back lol.
mx216
8/9/2016 11:44am
I'd rather have carb problems vs chasing electrical FI problems
usafwx
8/9/2016 11:46am
mx216 wrote:
I'd rather have carb problems vs chasing electrical FI problems
Are they as frequent or likely though? Most modern efi bikes seem to be holding up well.
8/9/2016 11:49am
If you race to win buy the 4 stroke. If you race to have a ton of fun and arent trying to be very competitive buy the 125,you can always race the 125 class.
mx216
8/9/2016 11:54am
Once that yz is jetted you wont have to worry about it. Not saying the modern 4 strokes with Fi are bad, but there is a lot more going on, just more chances for something to happen. Especially if you have ridden the 125, liked it and had fun, stick with that. Less maintenance, less expensive, less headaches and more time to ride. The 4 strokes are getting better and better and have their place for sure, but the average guy can save a lot of money, and have just as much fun on equipment that isn't he highest tech, but solid, proven, reliable and fun.
Frodad78
8/9/2016 12:00pm
Big bore for the YZ? 139 or 144? Pick one and let me know how you like it so you can save me the trial and error!

I hear the 144 kits make for more low to mid but lose some over rev.

I hear the 136- 139 kits really let the bike rev to the moon.

I haven't ridden either so I'm just basing all this on hearsay.
8/9/2016 12:09pm
emohteeoh wrote:

I have heard this for years... About a year ago I got a 250 2stroke and have been riding it ever since... The bike has cost me more money to maintain than any of my 4 strokes I have had..when u factor in piston every 20ish hours, premix at around 1litre every few weeks, then the regular tyres, chain and sprockets.. The only time it would be cheaper owning a 2stroke is if the engine lets go compared to blowing up a 4strike motor. Modern 4strokes have came a long way.. i have never had an engine blow on any of mine.. I clean my filter and dump my oil every time I am out on my bike... I buy them new and keep for no more than 2 years and with regular maintenance they have all been great.. Mostly all 250f too... Only other thing is the 2strokes do seem to hold their money better. My 2cents... Get the crf, maintain it and you're golden
Braap19
8/9/2016 12:19pm
I have heard this for years... About a year ago I got a 250 2stroke and have been riding it ever since... The bike has cost...
I have heard this for years... About a year ago I got a 250 2stroke and have been riding it ever since... The bike has cost me more money to maintain than any of my 4 strokes I have had..when u factor in piston every 20ish hours, premix at around 1litre every few weeks, then the regular tyres, chain and sprockets.. The only time it would be cheaper owning a 2stroke is if the engine lets go compared to blowing up a 4strike motor. Modern 4strokes have came a long way.. i have never had an engine blow on any of mine.. I clean my filter and dump my oil every time I am out on my bike... I buy them new and keep for no more than 2 years and with regular maintenance they have all been great.. Mostly all 250f too... Only other thing is the 2strokes do seem to hold their money better. My 2cents... Get the crf, maintain it and you're golden
This is the same experience I have had with several 2 strokes. You get nickel and dimed to keep it running..

Let's say I have a yz 125 and a Kx 250f both are maintained the same and both have about 20 hours on them. Boom time for a piston on the 125. Now bikes have 40 hours, and boom time for another piston and maybe a crank in the 125. The 250 needs the valves shimmed and an oil change. Let's say both bikes have 60 hours on them. Time for another piston in the 125 and it's time for a top end in the 250. Let's go another 20 hours and go to 80 hours on both bikes. The 125 needs a clutch and a full rebuild including a crank and piston, maybe even reeds. The 250 needs the valves shimmed and it might need a clutch depending on how you ride it.

So really have I saved any money riding the 2 stroke? No not at all. Yes the immediate rebuild cost of the 4stk is higher than the 2stk but with the 2 stroke needing 2-4 rebuilds to every 1 4 stroke rebuild (barring a blown motor or a complete locked motor on either bike) you end up spending more money.
8/9/2016 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2016 12:21pm
but ride it with balls
ride it a gear higher
ride it faster
don't let the engine bog
ride it faster
don't let the rear tire spin
think knobby in dirt? ride it as fast as it can go
don't blow up berms until you're in the lead - clutches and brakes only slow you down! riding fast a gear higher! Fully pinned without breaking traction and fully
committed to the effn corners!
LOOK deep & beyond the corners to the next obstacle!
don't look at your fender (you idiot)
Is the bike part of you? (Or not?)
do you look at your leg when you walk?
keep your elbows (somewhat) up
it's not a couch (4stroke)
you shouldn't be sitting (you can't take it easy & do the triple)
seats? seats are for bouncing over jumps and digging in knobby mid-turn - sit late - stand quickly -
with that rebound forcing you back into attack mode! Pinned! looking three obstacles ahead , focus on the next obstacle and having already processed the present / then once in the lead? ride crazy

125 all day , unless you race pro/expert

four strokes are like tampons

every fat fuck has one

they literally have no idea what to do when talent touches two stroke

guy I race with shows up with 450 & the 125

see who's on the line?

then he goes demoralizing competition hoping they'll quit and find another sport

When a bone stock 125 smokes you on your blinged out 450! It makes you rethink everything! Much like the same feeling When an 80-85cc smokes you on a 250 two stroke or a 450? it makes you wanna quit

that's his goal

Just like when 125's would smoke 500's back in the day

embarrassing Unsure
mx216
8/9/2016 12:28pm
I'm all for 4 strokes, don't get me wrong, but proper maintenance on one is much more involved. Everytime you wash the bike, you should pull the coolant temp sensor plug, the air temp sensor plug, the map sensor plug, the condenser plug and the injector plug, blow them out with compressed air and re-install after using dielectric grease. If you don't do that you should, we all saw what wet/corroded electrical connectors can do to a bike even on the factory level. A corroded connecter that controls your fuel injector decides to break connection on the face of a jump is not a good situation. Then you have valve checks every 10 hours. The 250fs also shouldn't go more than 20 hours on a topend either. I hear ya about the premix but with 4 strokes you have oil filters you have to buy so that offsets some of that cost. Either way, really ask yourself what you want and what you plan to do. It basically is hard to go wrong.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
8/9/2016 12:36pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2016 1:44pm
Sometimes you just need a change of pace or something different to keep interest levels up. Get the Honda, have fun on it and then go from there. You can always get another 125 down the line if you want to.
8/9/2016 12:39pm
mx216 wrote:
I'm all for 4 strokes, don't get me wrong, but proper maintenance on one is much more involved. Everytime you wash the bike, you should pull...
I'm all for 4 strokes, don't get me wrong, but proper maintenance on one is much more involved. Everytime you wash the bike, you should pull the coolant temp sensor plug, the air temp sensor plug, the map sensor plug, the condenser plug and the injector plug, blow them out with compressed air and re-install after using dielectric grease. If you don't do that you should, we all saw what wet/corroded electrical connectors can do to a bike even on the factory level. A corroded connecter that controls your fuel injector decides to break connection on the face of a jump is not a good situation. Then you have valve checks every 10 hours. The 250fs also shouldn't go more than 20 hours on a topend either. I hear ya about the premix but with 4 strokes you have oil filters you have to buy so that offsets some of that cost. Either way, really ask yourself what you want and what you plan to do. It basically is hard to go wrong.
Those sensors are pretty bulletproof on a honda... I've never heard anyone complain about the electric system of a honda. Yamaha is a whole other story. And what you're saying about valves and piston is not true unless you have a heavily tuned motor.
8/9/2016 12:46pm
Icespikes wrote:
125 but ride it with balls ride it a gear higher ride it faster don't let the engine bog ride it faster don't let the rear...
but ride it with balls
ride it a gear higher
ride it faster
don't let the engine bog
ride it faster
don't let the rear tire spin
think knobby in dirt? ride it as fast as it can go
don't blow up berms until you're in the lead - clutches and brakes only slow you down! riding fast a gear higher! Fully pinned without breaking traction and fully
committed to the effn corners!
LOOK deep & beyond the corners to the next obstacle!
don't look at your fender (you idiot)
Is the bike part of you? (Or not?)
do you look at your leg when you walk?
keep your elbows (somewhat) up
it's not a couch (4stroke)
you shouldn't be sitting (you can't take it easy & do the triple)
seats? seats are for bouncing over jumps and digging in knobby mid-turn - sit late - stand quickly -
with that rebound forcing you back into attack mode! Pinned! looking three obstacles ahead , focus on the next obstacle and having already processed the present / then once in the lead? ride crazy

125 all day , unless you race pro/expert

four strokes are like tampons

every fat fuck has one

they literally have no idea what to do when talent touches two stroke

guy I race with shows up with 450 & the 125

see who's on the line?

then he goes demoralizing competition hoping they'll quit and find another sport

When a bone stock 125 smokes you on your blinged out 450! It makes you rethink everything! Much like the same feeling When an 80-85cc smokes you on a 250 two stroke or a 450? it makes you wanna quit

that's his goal

Just like when 125's would smoke 500's back in the day

embarrassing Unsure
Lol... What a lot of non sense.. Always hear this too.
Yes the 2strokes are harder to ride, harder to go fast on and take more skill...BUT who really cares they are both great fun to ride... And that's all that matters to most people..
8/9/2016 12:49pm
mx216 wrote:
I'm all for 4 strokes, don't get me wrong, but proper maintenance on one is much more involved. Everytime you wash the bike, you should pull...
Those sensors are pretty bulletproof on a honda... I've never heard anyone complain about the electric system of a honda. Yamaha is a whole other story...
Those sensors are pretty bulletproof on a honda... I've never heard anyone complain about the electric system of a honda. Yamaha is a whole other story. And what you're saying about valves and piston is not true unless you have a heavily tuned motor.
This...a bit of common sense goes a long way... (That's not to say u can't be unlucky)
8/9/2016 12:55pm
I have heard this for years... About a year ago I got a 250 2stroke and have been riding it ever since... The bike has cost...
Factory recommended replacement interval for CRF250R pistons are also in the 20ish hours range. It's a more expensive piston and a significantly slower job, too.
mx216
8/9/2016 1:01pm
I wasn't mentioning any models specifically, but what I am saying is there are just extra areas to look over. To really properly maintain the bike, there is just more involved. Not saying it's impossible work, if you know what you are doing you can check valves in 20-30 minutes and doing the electrical plugs everytime is overkill probably. I just know I have definitely been bitten worse by 4 stroke system failures than 2 stroke. I am not advocating for one or the other, I have owned both from different brands and it's just trying to help someone make an informed decision.
8/9/2016 1:06pm
emohteeoh wrote:

Why replace the piston on the 2 stroke so much more often? The 250f revs higher and has more moving parts. Seems like your costs are self inflicted.
8/9/2016 1:09pm
Factory recommended replacement interval for CRF250R pistons are also in the 20ish hours range. It's a more expensive piston and a significantly slower job, too.
my smoker is 23 year old.. I have no manual.. What do the factory's recommend on 2stroke piston changes? Serious question, just wondering if it is actually less than 20 hours...
And u can change you're piston at 20 hours if u like on you're crf but I bet the one you're taking out is mint! (As long as u have cleaned filter etc)...
Guy I know here in Scotland runs a small team.uses Ktm... Few years ago he had a fairly quick British rider (Shane carless) and one of his practice bikes had done over 120 hours on the stock piston!
8/9/2016 1:16pm
emohteeoh wrote:

Why replace the piston on the 2 stroke so much more often? The 250f revs higher and has more moving parts. Seems like your costs are...
Why replace the piston on the 2 stroke so much more often? The 250f revs higher and has more moving parts. Seems like your costs are self inflicted.
Lol... Even without the 2 stroke piston changes it would still cost me the same if not more than the 4stroke to run (premix) .. And by no means am I hating on the 2 stroke, I love mine.. They both have pluses and minuses
8/9/2016 1:17pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2016 1:19pm
Why replace the piston on the 2 stroke so much more often? The 250f revs higher and has more moving parts. Seems like your costs are...
I think 20 hours is probably reasonable to be looking hard at the piston on your YZ250. That said, I think it would also be in range to be thinking about the shape of the (more expensive and time consuming) piston on your CRF250, as well.
cslacker
8/9/2016 1:21pm
Braap19 wrote:
This is the same experience I have had with several 2 strokes. You get nickel and dimed to keep it running.. Let's say I have a...
This is the same experience I have had with several 2 strokes. You get nickel and dimed to keep it running..

Let's say I have a yz 125 and a Kx 250f both are maintained the same and both have about 20 hours on them. Boom time for a piston on the 125. Now bikes have 40 hours, and boom time for another piston and maybe a crank in the 125. The 250 needs the valves shimmed and an oil change. Let's say both bikes have 60 hours on them. Time for another piston in the 125 and it's time for a top end in the 250. Let's go another 20 hours and go to 80 hours on both bikes. The 125 needs a clutch and a full rebuild including a crank and piston, maybe even reeds. The 250 needs the valves shimmed and it might need a clutch depending on how you ride it.

So really have I saved any money riding the 2 stroke? No not at all. Yes the immediate rebuild cost of the 4stk is higher than the 2stk but with the 2 stroke needing 2-4 rebuilds to every 1 4 stroke rebuild (barring a blown motor or a complete locked motor on either bike) you end up spending more money.
Sounds to me like you are talking about a full on racing maintenance schedule for the 125 and a trail riding maintenance schedule for the 250f. Replacing a 125's crank at 40 hours is something I have personally never experienced.

My personal experience has the cost of 125 & 250f maintenance to basically come out even. With a catastrophic failure the 250f is far higher. The 250 2 stroke has lower maintenance cost than the 250f, once again in my experience, and the 450f is just a bit cheaper than the 250 2 stroke except for in the case of a full rebuild/failure.

If you are selling your bike before you hit the 100 hour mark then 4 strokes are probably cheaper because you pass along the higher cost repairs and maintenance to the sucker who buys it. If you do 100-150 hours or so a year and hang on to a bike for a long time then the 2 stroke almost always ends up cheaper in the long run.
8/9/2016 1:28pm
Braap19 wrote:
This is the same experience I have had with several 2 strokes. You get nickel and dimed to keep it running.. Let's say I have a...

cslacker wrote:
Sounds to me like you are talking about a full on racing maintenance schedule for the 125 and a trail riding maintenance schedule for the 250f...
Sounds to me like you are talking about a full on racing maintenance schedule for the 125 and a trail riding maintenance schedule for the 250f. Replacing a 125's crank at 40 hours is something I have personally never experienced.

My personal experience has the cost of 125 & 250f maintenance to basically come out even. With a catastrophic failure the 250f is far higher. The 250 2 stroke has lower maintenance cost than the 250f, once again in my experience, and the 450f is just a bit cheaper than the 250 2 stroke except for in the case of a full rebuild/failure.

If you are selling your bike before you hit the 100 hour mark then 4 strokes are probably cheaper because you pass along the higher cost repairs and maintenance to the sucker who buys it. If you do 100-150 hours or so a year and hang on to a bike for a long time then the 2 stroke almost always ends up cheaper in the long run.
This
Braap19
8/9/2016 2:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2016 2:09pm
cslacker wrote:
Sounds to me like you are talking about a full on racing maintenance schedule for the 125 and a trail riding maintenance schedule for the 250f...

I was just giving my experience of around 100 hours on both bikes at race pace. And I replace the crank on the 2nd piston because it's not much more labor intensive to do so and it's just preventative maintenance, I do the same with my 250F. And actually I go three or four pistons with my 450. And the 250f maintenance I was giving examples of is at B class race speed also. If you treat the bike well they treat you well and like benchracermx I have not had a motor on a four-stroke grenade on me since around 2014 and I was on a 2011 model
JWACK
8/9/2016 2:44pm
Well this went to shit.

Unsubscribe.
usafwx
8/9/2016 3:24pm
JWACK wrote:
Well this went to shit.

Unsubscribe.
I feared that. I still haven't really looked at cost analysis between the two, not sure why some guys are quoting such short intervals for maintenance, myself and buddies usually do a topend (piston and rings) on the smokers around 35 hours and it only costs $100 and an hour or two of my time. My 4 stroke was a bit more for the topend but was at the 80 hour mark. Though you have premix you don't have an oil filter/filter seals like a thumper so it breaks even. Honestly I think they are about dead even maintenance wise for the average weekend warrior, but when something goes wrong its a sh*t ton more on the thumper. Still up in the air. We will see. Appreciate everyone's input.
8/9/2016 4:39pm
I can tell you that in one year I have had 5 different bikes and without a doubt my 2014 (spring fork) CRF250 is absolutely my favorite/ awesome. Honda quality/ reliability is just something thats hard to duplicate. It may not be the fastest bike but it does everything very well. So far all I have done is filters, oil, gas, and grease things.

4 strokes can be expensive but if you replace things before it goes to hell in a hand basket...its reasonable given that its a race bike and not an XR400.

Post a reply to: YZ125 or CRF250R

The Latest