YZ125 or 150sx

9/24/2017 9:42am
Motofinne wrote:
The KTM is the obvious choice. If you for some reason want the YZ, find a older bike that you can pick up for 2500-3500 bucks...
The KTM is the obvious choice. If you for some reason want the YZ, find a older bike that you can pick up for 2500-3500 bucks.

I haven't rode the 150 but i had the chance to ride the 2018 125 and it is a better bike than the Yamaha in every way.

The SX 125 has a way better engine, it turns way better, has way better brakes and it has a way better clutch.

The suspension on the YZ is slightly better.

And it's not 2005, KTMs are not ticking time bombs.
That's hard to argue with. So dont. Get the KTM.
I’m lost man. I’m hearing good about both bikes
That's because they are both good bikes, but even this old YZ rider can see the premium parts and technology you're getting with KTM. If you really can get both for the same price, why would you pay for a bike with pretty much the same tech it came with 11 years ago? I don't see it as a hard choice. If I were to buy a new 2-stroke today I would be going with a KTM or Husky. Next year or year after, maybe something different. But now? The choice is easy.
OR Racer46
9/24/2017 9:50am
BobPA wrote:
Wait, you're telling me there are other throttle positions available on a 125...other than idle or wide open? I think you're doing it wrong. If you...
Wait, you're telling me there are other throttle positions available on a 125...other than idle or wide open? I think you're doing it wrong.

If you buy a YZ buy one from 2010 for half the price. No reason to drop $5k on a 10 year old bike.
Crush wrote:
And shouldn't the jetting be against your bud's mech skills rather than the bike?
He bought the bike brand new off the dealer floor. I think it should come jetted properly and "race ready" as KTM says. I told him...
He bought the bike brand new off the dealer floor. I think it should come jetted properly and "race ready" as KTM says. I told him to play with the needle clip position and the pilot jet. He shrugged his shoulders at me and says yeah I don't know anything about that lol. I just think if you spend that much money on a brand new bike it should run correctly
So how do you feel about getting your suspension sprung for your weight ? Setting sag ? The proper tire combo for your terrain? Maybe even a bar bend you are comfortable with ? Grips ? Or maybe the bike was jetted correct for certain temps and elevations ?
9/24/2017 9:53am
That's hard to argue with. So dont. Get the KTM.
I’m lost man. I’m hearing good about both bikes
That's because they are both good bikes, but even this old YZ rider can see the premium parts and technology you're getting with KTM. If you...
That's because they are both good bikes, but even this old YZ rider can see the premium parts and technology you're getting with KTM. If you really can get both for the same price, why would you pay for a bike with pretty much the same tech it came with 11 years ago? I don't see it as a hard choice. If I were to buy a new 2-stroke today I would be going with a KTM or Husky. Next year or year after, maybe something different. But now? The choice is easy.
I think you’re swinging me to the KTM. Are KTM parts prices really that much higher then YZ?

The Shop

BAMX
9/24/2017 10:14am
If you have ever ridden a 125 and a 150 back to back, the answer is simple. Get the 150.
9/24/2017 3:41pm
Also..where do you buy 150 parts? Motosport sells nothing for it.
OR Racer46 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/24/216529/s1200_IMG_4661.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/24/216530/s1200_IMG_4662.jpg[/img]

Yeah I see that. Thx
BobPA
9/24/2017 3:59pm
last question...does the 150 ride like a 125 or a 250?
Rides like a full mod 125. They have a but more torque which helps to keep it on the pipe much easier. The only thing different on the current 125's is the cylinder and ECU I believe...everything else is the same as the 125.
9/24/2017 6:56pm
Crush wrote:
And shouldn't the jetting be against your bud's mech skills rather than the bike?
He bought the bike brand new off the dealer floor. I think it should come jetted properly and "race ready" as KTM says. I told him...
He bought the bike brand new off the dealer floor. I think it should come jetted properly and "race ready" as KTM says. I told him to play with the needle clip position and the pilot jet. He shrugged his shoulders at me and says yeah I don't know anything about that lol. I just think if you spend that much money on a brand new bike it should run correctly
OR Racer46 wrote:
So how do you feel about getting your suspension sprung for your weight ? Setting sag ? The proper tire combo for your terrain? Maybe even...
So how do you feel about getting your suspension sprung for your weight ? Setting sag ? The proper tire combo for your terrain? Maybe even a bar bend you are comfortable with ? Grips ? Or maybe the bike was jetted correct for certain temps and elevations ?
Noleen did my suspension. Revalve & sprung. Sag @ 105mm. Bridgestone 203/204 combo. Stock bats and pillow top grips do it for me. Just never rode a brand new bike that was so off before.
Crush
9/24/2017 7:54pm
If anything at that end, that's a mark against the dealer, not the bike. The bike is fine, it's a machine though, it needs to be tuned correctly. It definitely doesn't mean the bike is rubbish.
wfo4ever
9/24/2017 9:02pm
Looking to pick up a 2017 2 smoker but can't decide which one to get. Which bike will last me longer in the long run? I've...
Looking to pick up a 2017 2 smoker but can't decide which one to get. Which bike will last me longer in the long run? I've heard the YZ is bullet proof, and the 150sx is super sick. I'll honestly get whatever bike will be more reliable.
I have a 2005 YZ-125 that I bought in 2005. It is the one of most fun, fast, lightweight, and reliable motorcycles I have ever owned. I have been riding it for over 12 years now, my son also rides has rode it since he was 14. It has lots of "WFO" ride time on it from both of us. It still has the original complete clutch, cylinder, crankshaft, and transmission. I did replace the shifter stopper to the updated 2006 part. I do regular maintenance and take very good care of all my bikes including the YZ-125. I have replaced the top end and gaskets, I use stock Yamaha parts for that on the 125. Other than normal items like tires, tubes, chain and sprockets, brake pads, 1 chain slider set, spark plugs even though they are fine, and changing fluids when needed. Also I clean and oil the Twin Air filter and change the tranny oil after 3 rides maybe sooner depending on conditions. For a 125, it is hard to beat a Yamaha. The OEM parts are cheaper than KTM too. Most of all it you can not race a 150 in the 125 class. The KTM-150SX is a great bike also, but the YZ-125 is the winner in my 12 year opinion.
9/24/2017 9:46pm
Looking to pick up a 2017 2 smoker but can't decide which one to get. Which bike will last me longer in the long run? I've...
Looking to pick up a 2017 2 smoker but can't decide which one to get. Which bike will last me longer in the long run? I've heard the YZ is bullet proof, and the 150sx is super sick. I'll honestly get whatever bike will be more reliable.
wfo4ever wrote:
I have a 2005 YZ-125 that I bought in 2005. It is the one of most fun, fast, lightweight, and reliable motorcycles I have ever owned...
I have a 2005 YZ-125 that I bought in 2005. It is the one of most fun, fast, lightweight, and reliable motorcycles I have ever owned. I have been riding it for over 12 years now, my son also rides has rode it since he was 14. It has lots of "WFO" ride time on it from both of us. It still has the original complete clutch, cylinder, crankshaft, and transmission. I did replace the shifter stopper to the updated 2006 part. I do regular maintenance and take very good care of all my bikes including the YZ-125. I have replaced the top end and gaskets, I use stock Yamaha parts for that on the 125. Other than normal items like tires, tubes, chain and sprockets, brake pads, 1 chain slider set, spark plugs even though they are fine, and changing fluids when needed. Also I clean and oil the Twin Air filter and change the tranny oil after 3 rides maybe sooner depending on conditions. For a 125, it is hard to beat a Yamaha. The OEM parts are cheaper than KTM too. Most of all it you can not race a 150 in the 125 class. The KTM-150SX is a great bike also, but the YZ-125 is the winner in my 12 year opinion.
Then I see posts like this that swing me back to the YZ Laughing
9/24/2017 9:47pm
Here’s what it’s coming down to...will I have to replace piston ring at the same time or will one go longer? Price difference big between piston ring YZ vs KTM...how long til I change bottom end or do I ride it til it dies. What will go longer? I’d be riding it pretty hard in the pits.
seth505
9/24/2017 10:42pm Edited Date/Time 9/24/2017 10:44pm
Here’s what it’s coming down to...will I have to replace piston ring at the same time or will one go longer? Price difference big between piston...
Here’s what it’s coming down to...will I have to replace piston ring at the same time or will one go longer? Price difference big between piston ring YZ vs KTM...how long til I change bottom end or do I ride it til it dies. What will go longer? I’d be riding it pretty hard in the pits.
Talk to some reputable engine builders, no one is going to be able to answer this stuff online for you honestly. They'll have bias or hearsay that isn't even that accurate that they "heard from a buddy". You can definitely do rings only and piston every other time but some people don't bother since they are spending time to open up the top end anyway. Bottom end is anyones guess. Will it always have a fresh filter and no dirt ingestion? Will the jetting be pretty spot on and good fuel/premix used? etc...

If you can get a 2017 sx for 5k then I can't believe you haven't jumped on that yet!
Motofinne
9/24/2017 11:54pm
The resell value will be better with the KTM, remember that.
wfo4ever
9/25/2017 1:12am
Motofinne wrote:
The resell value will be better with the KTM, remember that.
The most important thing is to buy the bike you really want and like and be happy. Also have you even thought of finding a nice clean used 125 or 150? Sellers will most always come down on their price, offer a much lower price and see where it goes. Have a reputable mechanic inspect it if possible. With the money you would save you could keep it in the bank, buy some new gear, high performance parts, or pay for maintenance items, fluids and tools, ect. There are nice bikes 125's and 150's out there for a lot less than 5K. If money is not a problem buy a new one. Just remember the dealer is the only one that will ever own a new bike. Once you buy it it is a used motorcycle that is worth $3500.00 - $4000.00 when you leave the dealership if you get it for 5K.. Ask the dealer or a potential buyer what they would be willing to pay for your used motorcycle. I know this is reality because I was a dealer and was in the motorcycle industry for 30 years. I am now retired. At least you want a 2-Stroke so you are on the right track. Just think about it and good luck.
chump6784
9/25/2017 2:24am
Here’s what it’s coming down to...will I have to replace piston ring at the same time or will one go longer? Price difference big between piston...
I don't think either bike will get longer out of a piston ring than the other. 10-12 hours on rings, 20-25 hours on a piston for a regular rider is considered pretty standard regardless of brand.
Do bottom end every 4 pistons, you should be good.
Those hours are a guideline though and your conditions and use may vary them.
Both bikes are made to be ridden hard, as long as your maintenance schedule is kept up you shouldn't have a problem with either one although i feel the yz MIGHT have a bit more leeway in it.

Pit Row

ThatOneKid
9/25/2017 5:23am
I got a 2017 KTM 150 back in April and was very back and forth on getting a used YZ and hopping it up, or the 150. I am so glad I went the KTM route. I have ridden a good bit all summer and raced in the 250 and open classes with it and don't feel like i'm down on power. I have pulled 250s on straights plenty of times in a race situation, and that little extra bit the 150 has gives you confidence getting over the bigger jumps.

I have ridden Yz125s and while I like them and feel comfortable on them, they just don't compare. The KTM just has a bit of extra power everywhere. You still have to be on the pipe, but the engine has decent bottom for a small bore 2 stroke. All I have done to the bike is replace the tires, re-jet it (yes it did come VERY rich stock and ran poorly, going down on the pilot and dropping the needle helps a ton, once I got it right in April, I have not touched the jetting all summer), Suspension setup, Bars/grips/levers, and oil and filter changes. I also went up 1 tooth on the rear and can get away with alot less clutch in the turns now. I'll be doing a top end soon as i'm at about 25 hours. The bike has been great. Everybody who has ridden it has had great things to say as well.
9/25/2017 6:00am
In the long run the bike will need part about the same time. Prices are not that far off. As you can see from most post, they are good bikes. If you want to race with 125's, then get a 125 (ether KTM or Yamaha) and if you want a bike that is fun to ride and is easier to keep speed up, then get the 150. Just remember you have to race the 250f's. I got an 2006 YZ125 blown up and engine in a box for $300. I put about $2000 into it, and now have a fun build, like new, YZ144 with 2017 airbox and plastics. And no payments.
731chopper
9/25/2017 6:31am
You can get a new KTM 150 for $5,000? I would get that TODAY if that was around here! The Yamaha really doesnt compare if the price is the same in my eyes.

I want a new Husky 125 but those have proven to be difficult to find. I've seen one for sale around here and it is listed at full retail. Sad
9/25/2017 8:29am
Yeah I think I’m going to go with the KTM as my FINAL decision. Thx for the responses. I’m excited since it’s the first 2 stroke I will ever own
imoto34
9/25/2017 9:07am
Is there a 125 two stroke class specific that you could race in with the YZ that you could not with the 150?

As far as the jetting goes, I have a friend who picked up a YZ125 new last year. It was way off and would hardly run, he brought it to me with less then 2 hours on the bike. I showed him how to jet his bike and he went from bummed out to ripping the smoker with a grin every weekend.
ThatOneKid
9/25/2017 9:21am
imoto34 wrote:
Is there a 125 two stroke class specific that you could race in with the YZ that you could not with the 150? As far as...
Is there a 125 two stroke class specific that you could race in with the YZ that you could not with the 150?

As far as the jetting goes, I have a friend who picked up a YZ125 new last year. It was way off and would hardly run, he brought it to me with less then 2 hours on the bike. I showed him how to jet his bike and he went from bummed out to ripping the smoker with a grin every weekend.
Here in District 14 in Michigan there's a 125 B/C class that is usually pretty packed. Its a damn fast class here. Other than that its Schoolboy 1 where you wouldn't be able to run the 150 where you could a 125. I enjoy running my 150 in 250 and Open.
crc245
10/29/2017 2:59pm
Yeah I think I’m going to go with the KTM as my FINAL decision. Thx for the responses. I’m excited since it’s the first 2 stroke...
Yeah I think I’m going to go with the KTM as my FINAL decision. Thx for the responses. I’m excited since it’s the first 2 stroke I will ever own
Any updates?! Curious for a 2T ride report Cool

Post a reply to: YZ125 or 150sx

The Latest

The Latest