YZ125 Clamp change

JBlain619
I finally was able to ride my 2012 YZ125 back to back with my YZ250F and the first thing I noticed was the front wheel felt tucked back towards the frame. I had never really noticed it before but yesterday it was eye opening. Has anyone changed their clamps offset and it make a noticeable difference in feel?
|
Skerby
3/11/2021 7:25am
Trying to increase wheelbase with fork offset is like trying to drain the ocean with a spoon.

I think it was in 2016 they made the head tube a little slacker, I bet its better too. You could probably have some special bearing races made up to adjust this on your bike.
JBlain619
3/11/2021 7:38am
Skerby wrote:
Trying to increase wheelbase with fork offset is like trying to drain the ocean with a spoon. I think it was in 2016 they made the...
Trying to increase wheelbase with fork offset is like trying to drain the ocean with a spoon.

I think it was in 2016 they made the head tube a little slacker, I bet its better too. You could probably have some special bearing races made up to adjust this on your bike.
It was more of a feeling, not necessarily an increase in wheel base. I'll check into the races.
Thanks!
TeamGreen
3/11/2021 8:32am
Skerby wrote:
Trying to increase wheelbase with fork offset is like trying to drain the ocean with a spoon. I think it was in 2016 they made the...

JBlain619 wrote:
It was more of a feeling, not necessarily an increase in wheel base. I'll check into the races.
Thanks!
For a quick test to see if you’ll get the feel you want, move the rear axle back a bit and see if that makes the front feel the way you want (more weight on the front wheel).
Agent717
3/11/2021 9:30am
Skerby wrote:

JBlain619 wrote:
Thanks!
TeamGreen wrote:
For a quick test to see if you’ll get the feel you want, move the rear axle back a bit and see if that makes the...
For a quick test to see if you’ll get the feel you want, move the rear axle back a bit and see if that makes the front feel the way you want (more weight on the front wheel).
x2 I run my axle all the way back on my YZ125 for this exact reason. Front end felt a little twitchy in the bumps and a little too active in the corners but moving the axle back made a surprisingly big difference.

The Shop

3/11/2021 9:43am
JBlain619 wrote:
Thanks!
TeamGreen wrote:
For a quick test to see if you’ll get the feel you want, move the rear axle back a bit and see if that makes the...
Agent717 wrote:
x2 I run my axle all the way back on my YZ125 for this exact reason. Front end felt a little twitchy in the bumps and...
x2 I run my axle all the way back on my YZ125 for this exact reason. Front end felt a little twitchy in the bumps and a little too active in the corners but moving the axle back made a surprisingly big difference.
That's interesting, I would think moving the axle back should have the opposite effect.
All other things remaining the same, moving the rear wheel back would increase the amount of weight on the front wheel (as Teamgreen mentions above) therefore increasing twitchiness and front wheel traction in corners.
I guess wheelbase is lengthened though so maybe that's where the added stability comes from.

Post a reply to: YZ125 Clamp change

The Latest