YZ supermini

9/11/2019 7:27am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2019 7:29am
Preferably you should buy a brand new bike. Break
It in. Send the motor out to pro circuit or Tom Morgan. Does Eric gorr dabble in supers? There’s another engine builder that was popular back in 2000s that I can’t think of. Anyway....Lace up rims to the stock hubs. Extended swingarm. Get your jetting perfect and let her sing.

Superminis are expensive but stay up on top of the maintenance and do pistons and bottom ends when Morgan or Pc recommend.

STLSharky
9/11/2019 10:51am
Preferably you should buy a brand new bike. Break It in. Send the motor out to pro circuit or Tom Morgan. Does Eric gorr dabble in...
Preferably you should buy a brand new bike. Break
It in. Send the motor out to pro circuit or Tom Morgan. Does Eric gorr dabble in supers? There’s another engine builder that was popular back in 2000s that I can’t think of. Anyway....Lace up rims to the stock hubs. Extended swingarm. Get your jetting perfect and let her sing.

Superminis are expensive but stay up on top of the maintenance and do pistons and bottom ends when Morgan or Pc recommend.

Yes, Gorr did our Supers
Question
9/11/2019 1:19pm

I am surprised it seems not possible to buy a big wheels in north america. I have just seen the yamaha US website and they also mention the big wheel conversion kit (swingarm). BTW The price of the kit is expensive but it is also the cost of an clean extention made by a donor and a good welder.

Here is what we can buy directly in other countries (google "YZ 85 LW 2019")

Personnally i think the easiest way is to find one that is already built and used at a big race, they are not expensive compared to the cost of building a fast one and often comes with lot of spare parts or gear. (i have seen some in the past at less than 3k, with a couple years, so what you look for may be more 4 or 5k)

Also, it is not the greatest option just because of the different look of the older swingarm, but i think the swingarm and wheels of an older version would mount easily on your small wheels. (a 2010 yz lw may cost like 1k, pretty good for spare parts too)

Good luck !

The Shop

9/11/2019 2:50pm
If i’m right the last two YZ superminis to win LL’s were Sexton and Masterpool. These guys ran JGR logos so that means that the motors were done by Bundy who now operates on his own at Bundy Built Motorsports. YOu wont go wrong with Bundy
LowBidder
Fantasy
1737th
9/11/2019 3:40pm
I think Masterpool raced a YZ in Supermini at Lorettas in 2016, didnt do great in that class but won the 85 class on a YZ. Came back in 2017 on TM's and won both Supermini classes.
Bmograt
1/28/2020 9:14pm
Does anyone know the gearing on the EU/AU spec 2019 YZ85LW?
front sprocket, rear sprocket?

And it Looks like
-large wheels 19”/16”(and everything to wrap around them, don’t forget about rim locks, rim strips, tubes, tires)
-extended rear brake line, Yamaha or custom.
-swingarm, from Yamaha, when they are not out of stock.
-rear sprocket(assuming this should be a 48 or 49 tooth)

This will get you the larger bike. Engine work will have to be custom as Athena does not as of yet make a 105 cylinder for the 2019 and newer bike with the power valve like they do for the 18’ and older years.

Does this about cover it?

I am a Yamaha fan but KTM’s one size fits both swingarm and simple 105 cylinder kit in a box is staring to look appealing to dad the mechanic. Or even just selling the 85 and getting a KX100.
TSCHAM101
1/29/2020 8:26am
super minis are one of the most fun bikes to ride... i loved mine it was light, and super fast.. thats a true race bike IMO.. my favorite bike thus far and now im 27...
MXMattii
1/29/2020 8:48am
TM Racing has a race ready Supermini. Dunno if you can purchase it in Canada.
1/29/2020 4:24pm
Dont get Tusk. Everyone in here talks about making a statement with the money you spend. Tusk is chinese stuff, sold online. The motorcycle industry doesnt benefit at all, especially not your local scene. If you buy some good wheels from Dubya, everyone wins. And you can order them from a local dealer. The dealer can even give you a discount if youre cool.
rongi#401
1/29/2020 9:29pm
Call DDR engines in Santa paula, it will breathe fire
1/30/2020 1:29am
Yes the TM’s are available in Canada through Barker Brothers. The price for the 16/19 100 is $8,299.00 CAD. Not cheap.
skankhunt69
1/30/2020 5:44am
andcone wrote:
Get the Tusk wheel set from RMATV. Buy the swing arm directly from Yamaha. They sell it on their website. Maybe local shop for engine ?
JohnnyD13 wrote:
Is tusk worth a damn? I heard bad, scary things. But I’ve had a set on a 2 stroke build and they seemed ok but I...
Is tusk worth a damn? I heard bad, scary things. But I’ve had a set on a 2 stroke build and they seemed ok but I think people are a little harder on wheels then me.
There heavier than stock not recommended for a supermini. better off buying d.i.d or excel rims and powder coating or cerakoting your hubs. Personally I would call dubya and see what they can do. You might be able to send your stock hubs and they could build you a damn good wheel.
rohleder644
1/30/2020 5:56am
Dont get Tusk. Everyone in here talks about making a statement with the money you spend. Tusk is chinese stuff, sold online. The motorcycle industry doesnt...
Dont get Tusk. Everyone in here talks about making a statement with the money you spend. Tusk is chinese stuff, sold online. The motorcycle industry doesnt benefit at all, especially not your local scene. If you buy some good wheels from Dubya, everyone wins. And you can order them from a local dealer. The dealer can even give you a discount if youre cool.
I like the cut of your jib, my friend.
jpatz319
Fantasy
1145th
1/30/2020 7:49am
andcone wrote:
Get the Tusk wheel set from RMATV. Buy the swing arm directly from Yamaha. They sell it on their website. Maybe local shop for engine ?
JohnnyD13 wrote:
Is tusk worth a damn? I heard bad, scary things. But I’ve had a set on a 2 stroke build and they seemed ok but I...
Is tusk worth a damn? I heard bad, scary things. But I’ve had a set on a 2 stroke build and they seemed ok but I think people are a little harder on wheels then me.
There heavier than stock not recommended for a supermini. better off buying d.i.d or excel rims and powder coating or cerakoting your hubs. Personally I would...
There heavier than stock not recommended for a supermini. better off buying d.i.d or excel rims and powder coating or cerakoting your hubs. Personally I would call dubya and see what they can do. You might be able to send your stock hubs and they could build you a damn good wheel.
I'm not disagreeing with you that Dubya will give you a better product but all aftermarket hubs are heavier than stock besides maybe the carbon talon ones. You upgrade wheels for strength not weight savings.
2/5/2020 5:19pm
Old thread, I know, but I saw a company that is about to offer a really nice looking complete big wheel YZ85 upgrade that looks simple as anything as opposed to having to buy things from a million different places to get it built and set up correctly. Let alone replace the antiquated 2018 and older swingarm with a much more proper one. I saw they have complete wheel sets as well. I did the old-fashioned route a couple of years ago, and, it was a bloody nightmare having to trial and error and shop all over figuring out what I needed to build the bike properly as far as swingarm and whatnot.

Just thought others might want to know because threads like this are found months/years later. Shoot me a PM and I will tell you what I can about it.

RDH
haydug391
2/5/2020 10:13pm
Old thread, I know, but I saw a company that is about to offer a really nice looking complete big wheel YZ85 upgrade that looks simple...
Old thread, I know, but I saw a company that is about to offer a really nice looking complete big wheel YZ85 upgrade that looks simple as anything as opposed to having to buy things from a million different places to get it built and set up correctly. Let alone replace the antiquated 2018 and older swingarm with a much more proper one. I saw they have complete wheel sets as well. I did the old-fashioned route a couple of years ago, and, it was a bloody nightmare having to trial and error and shop all over figuring out what I needed to build the bike properly as far as swingarm and whatnot.

Just thought others might want to know because threads like this are found months/years later. Shoot me a PM and I will tell you what I can about it.

RDH
Don’t keep it a secret. Just say what company.
Fox88
Fantasy
22nd
2/6/2020 12:51pm
didn't Derek Harris build Masterpool's winning supermini?

can't remember if he signed off himself or got clicked, but surprised there is no mention of his services (prompt or not)..

we need some dyno shots up in here! haha
MXMattii
2/6/2020 7:01pm
Bnagazina wrote:
Yes the TM’s are available in Canada through Barker Brothers. The price for the 16/19 100 is $8,299.00 CAD. Not cheap.
Indeed but I see that there is a MUPO fork delivered with it from 1000 euro and EXT (Extreme Tech) Shock. But it stays pretty expensive. That is also why it keeps a brand that is sold very little.
Braaaphole
2/6/2020 7:06pm
Fox88 wrote:
didn't Derek Harris build Masterpool's winning supermini? can't remember if he signed off himself or got clicked, but surprised there is no mention of his services...
didn't Derek Harris build Masterpool's winning supermini?

can't remember if he signed off himself or got clicked, but surprised there is no mention of his services (prompt or not)..

we need some dyno shots up in here! haha
Yes, Derek built Ty's bike and worked with them that year.

Post a reply to: YZ supermini

The Latest