YZ 125 Steel VS Aluminum Frame

Related:
Create New Tag

8/14/2017 10:45 PM

Hi everyone,

Obviously after seeing Chad Reed build up his 2004 YZ250 as he stated it was a much better bike than the 2005 with Aluminum frame due to better flex.

Would that mean, that if i were to find a 2004 YZ 125 to build up, taking into account i would but the new model forks and shock in the older chassis, and will be completely rebuilding it, with the plan to race the 125 Cup of MX Nationals.

What would be some of the pro's and con's that i may not have considered.

Thankyou,
Tom

|

8/15/2017 2:20 AM

Pros to the aluminum frame are the bikes are around 10 lbs lighter and the newer motors have a little more hp. I have a steel frame 125 with SSS suspension and it is a pretty easy swap but you also need the triple clamps, newer front brake, and you have to weld bigger tabs on the frame or triple clamps for the steering stops.

|

8/15/2017 2:30 AM

Yamaknockers wrote:

Pros to the aluminum frame are the bikes are around 10 lbs lighter and the newer motors have a little more hp. I have a steel frame 125 with SSS suspension and it is a pretty easy swap but you also need the triple clamps, newer front brake, and you have to weld bigger tabs on the frame or triple clamps for the steering stops.

Okay, i appreciate the input! Thankyou!

|