YOT Ceases Operations

mivers176
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 11:46am
Did everyone see the story on Racer X yesterday?

http://www.racerxonline.com/2011/01/31/hondayamaha-of-troy-closes-its-d…

I worked there for about 5 yrs (1999-2004), sad to see its all over...for a while had the only program in Lites to rival PC.
|
Blake
2/1/2011 8:51am
About 2-3 months ago someone mentioned on a podcast they saw them clearing everything out of there confirming some rumors.
SteveS
2/1/2011 8:57am
I bought a couple of bikes from Southside in 2004 while just passing through on the way to Gary Semics. A new 85 and a tricked out ex-team 125.

The Shop

motoxxx599
Fantasy
875th
2/1/2011 9:34am
Apparently Honda of Houston became a tier 5 Honda dealer and then the economy tanked.. info from a reliable source.
TeamGreen
2/1/2011 10:17am
CR250Rider wrote:
i blame 4 strokes Whistling
Wow, I mean...damn...that's jus' too funny to not laff at.

Me?

I blame the American people, Dodd & Frank, The repeal of Glass-Steagall and a bunch of other Regulatory SNAFUs...

But, hey, it's cool...I'm sure you're on to something.

Bwahahahahahaha...
MBBadgers
2/1/2011 10:21am
I heard Mission Motor-sports isn't doing so well either since the owner passed away.
Torco1
2/1/2011 10:30am
I'm not saying its right or wrong, good or bad.......but the introduction of mail order pretty much spelled out the future for actual parts stores. When its so easy and convenient to order something from your home and have it shipped to your door in a couple of days, usually at a discounted price, people stopped relying on the local dealer.......sadly. Now you only need a few shops around to sell bikes and provide service work.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
875th
2/1/2011 10:44am
Torco1 wrote:
I'm not saying its right or wrong, good or bad.......but the introduction of mail order pretty much spelled out the future for actual parts stores. When...
I'm not saying its right or wrong, good or bad.......but the introduction of mail order pretty much spelled out the future for actual parts stores. When its so easy and convenient to order something from your home and have it shipped to your door in a couple of days, usually at a discounted price, people stopped relying on the local dealer.......sadly. Now you only need a few shops around to sell bikes and provide service work.
Would you take your bike to a dealer for service? I know the mechanics at my local dealer and I don't want them wrenching on my bikes.
stillwelding
2/1/2011 10:45am
Torco1 wrote:
I'm not saying its right or wrong, good or bad.......but the introduction of mail order pretty much spelled out the future for actual parts stores. When...
I don't see how mail order was the demise of YOT. YOT was one of the largest mail houses in the industry. Had to be the in store sales (dead inventory of bikes) or something else. But I think you are right about mail order generally. How many times have you gone to try on something at the local dealer only to go home and order it online to save the tax money alone (not to mention being able to order it in your choice of colorways).
flarider
2/1/2011 10:47am
I don't see how mail order was the demise of YOT. YOT was one of the largest mail houses in the industry. Had to be the...
I don't see how mail order was the demise of YOT. YOT was one of the largest mail houses in the industry. Had to be the in store sales (dead inventory of bikes) or something else. But I think you are right about mail order generally. How many times have you gone to try on something at the local dealer only to go home and order it online to save the tax money alone (not to mention being able to order it in your choice of colorways).
Never
MBBadgers
2/1/2011 10:49am
The shops who had to pay the floor costs on the bikes, and not selling the bikes probably hurt the most. People like Mid Cities and Century Motorcycles own their bikes outright, so don't have to pay the overhead.
Torco1
2/1/2011 10:50am
Torco1 wrote:
motoxxx599 wrote:
Would you take your bike to a dealer for service? I know the mechanics at my local dealer and I don't want them wrenching on my...
Would you take your bike to a dealer for service? I know the mechanics at my local dealer and I don't want them wrenching on my bikes.
I personally do all my own maintenance on my bikes, but there are lots of people out there that still need to take their bike somewhere to have it done. I dont like the anyone touching my bike, I just dont feel comfortable unless I know exactly what was done.
Torco1
2/1/2011 10:54am
Torco1 wrote:
I don't see how mail order was the demise of YOT. YOT was one of the largest mail houses in the industry. Had to be the...
Yeah, I was speaking more of mail order in general and how its affected other shops. But like you said with YOT, they probably had a lot of overhead that they were hanging onto and slow bike sales that hurt them and their mail order couldnt make up for it.
500guy
2/1/2011 10:54am
I'm surprised that all the PR they got from J-Law and the Manager that had problems didn't pull them through these hard times.

I heard any Press is good press.
TeamGreen
2/1/2011 11:05am
motoxxx599 wrote:
Rumor has it the Honda of Houston is next...
This made me pick up the phone...

Doesn't add up.

Unless you wanna call Dave & Sean "Liars"...?
motoxxx599
Fantasy
875th
2/1/2011 11:27am
motoxxx599 wrote:
Rumor has it the Honda of Houston is next...
TeamGreen wrote:
This made me pick up the phone...

Doesn't add up.

Unless you wanna call Dave & Sean "Liars"...?
Rumor.. its just what I heard.. But not from the horses mouth.
aggiemoto99
2/1/2011 11:28am
HHR is not doing well - leave it at that.

Will they close the doors? Haven't yet! But their race team has lost tons of support from honda due to economy and I don't think they are making enough to dump tons into the race team theirselves. It's awesome they are still supporting at all!
stillwelding
2/1/2011 11:38am
flarider wrote:
Never
Wow! What a saint you are. I haven't bought any gear for about 20 years, but I see the kids and adults doing that to my local dealers all the time.
WFO
2/1/2011 11:59am
CR250Rider wrote:
i blame 4 strokes Whistling
TeamGreen wrote:
Wow, I mean...damn...that's jus' too funny to not laff at. Me? I blame the American people, Dodd & Frank, The repeal of Glass-Steagall and a bunch...
Wow, I mean...damn...that's jus' too funny to not laff at.

Me?

I blame the American people, Dodd & Frank, The repeal of Glass-Steagall and a bunch of other Regulatory SNAFUs...

But, hey, it's cool...I'm sure you're on to something.

Bwahahahahahaha...
There you go again using intellegence and sound reasoning!
Miss the old days racing against Dave and Sean.

Now, pass the tanning oil......
Faceaz
2/1/2011 12:09pm
Torco1 wrote:
I shop @ my local small parts store, usually make it in there about once a week. I know I'm paying a little more but I'm glad it's going to someone local.
Cody24
Fantasy
2702nd
2/1/2011 12:14pm
What local MC business is thriving these days? I know of a couple shops by me that are closing on wednesday.
newmann
2/1/2011 12:15pm
flarider wrote:
Never
Wow! What a saint you are. I haven't bought any gear for about 20 years, but I see the kids and adults doing that to my...
Wow! What a saint you are. I haven't bought any gear for about 20 years, but I see the kids and adults doing that to my local dealers all the time.
I could be in that saint category as well. Being a business owner I deal with many of the people that deal with me. Sometimes it may cost more but there is a value in it that goes beyond a couple of dollars. A lot of people don't understand that.

But there are many dealers who stock hardly anything and aren't overly willing to help out a customer or potential customer. Piss them off once and they'll never be back. Mail order is just too easy.
Moto Mofo
2/1/2011 12:25pm
newmann wrote:
I could be in that saint category as well. Being a business owner I deal with many of the people that deal with me. Sometimes it...
I could be in that saint category as well. Being a business owner I deal with many of the people that deal with me. Sometimes it may cost more but there is a value in it that goes beyond a couple of dollars. A lot of people don't understand that.

But there are many dealers who stock hardly anything and aren't overly willing to help out a customer or potential customer. Piss them off once and they'll never be back. Mail order is just too easy.
Exactly. I'm all for supporting local business, but when the dealerships stock hardly anything, and have a parts department full of complete numbskulls that have no knowledge about anything whatsoever, it leaves me no choice but to order parts and accessories online. The biggest shop in my area (San Antonio) is a complete joke... last time I went in there, the guy behind the counter, who has been there for a while, couldn't tell a keihin main jet apart from a keihin pilot jet. I haven't been back since.
teggers
2/1/2011 12:39pm
flarider wrote:
Never
Wow! What a saint you are. I haven't bought any gear for about 20 years, but I see the kids and adults doing that to my...
Apparently, I am a saint too. I ALWAYS give my local dealer the option of sending the parts directly to my house, which, in most cases, they are willing to do backflips to comply.

If i try something on at a shop, I will buy it from them. If I ask for advice on a part, I will buy it from them. I am more than happy to help with their overhead for this convenience.
dcmx326
2/1/2011 12:50pm
The only shop I ever bought parts at directly was HOT. All my local shops didn't carry anything other than a few tires and levers. If I needed to replace anything else in a hurry, I had to drive all the way to HOT to get the parts.

As for gear, no way am I going to pay 60% more for a helmet than I can get it for online. Especially from a shop that can't help me out when I am in a jam, because they don't carry any parts.
flarider
2/1/2011 12:53pm
teggers wrote:
Apparently, I am a saint too. I ALWAYS give my local dealer the option of sending the parts directly to my house, which, in most cases...
Apparently, I am a saint too. I ALWAYS give my local dealer the option of sending the parts directly to my house, which, in most cases, they are willing to do backflips to comply.

If i try something on at a shop, I will buy it from them. If I ask for advice on a part, I will buy it from them. I am more than happy to help with their overhead for this convenience.
Same here
Rudeboy119
2/1/2011 1:17pm
my local shop closed its doors last year. 1st thing to get hit in a bad economy are toys
2/1/2011 1:17pm
Cody24 wrote:
What local MC business is thriving these days? I know of a couple shops by me that are closing on wednesday.
Action?

Post a reply to: YOT Ceases Operations

The Latest