YIKES!!!! NOT A GOOD SIGN

Related:
Create New Tag

2/4/2016 3:40 PM

Just reading the first page and 3 semi-major players are either done, or near done. GoPro, Rad mfg, and PG..... Rad surprises me a bit. They had a good product at a reasonable price. Graphics companies come and go ,but PG seemed to be steady. Just odd to see 3 negative reports on the same page.....

|

2/4/2016 3:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2016 3:59 PM

|

2/4/2016 4:18 PM

Its a bummer. There are some indicators that the US economy is about to head down another dark path for a while and it doesn’t seem like the sport fully rebounded to pre-2007 levels.

|

2/4/2016 4:25 PM

Damn 4 strokes ruin it all. If everyone was riding a 06 YZ 250 or 125 we would not be in this situation. w00t

|

2/4/2016 5:00 PM

mxpro252 wrote:

Its a bummer. There are some indicators that the US economy is about to head down another dark path for a while and it doesn’t ...more

I think we are solidly on that dark path already. Consumer spending has come to a screeching halt since December.

|

"This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time"

"If life hands you a cheeseburger, you'd better fucking take it."

2/4/2016 5:55 PM

imoto34 wrote:

Damn 4 strokes ruin it all. If everyone was riding a 06 YZ 250 or 125 we would not be in this situation. w00t

This post gave me cancer

|

2/4/2016 5:56 PM

imoto34 wrote:

I know that's supposed to be in jest, but I feel there is a little more truth in that statement than some would like to admit.....

|

2/4/2016 6:06 PM

WFO! wrote:

I think we are solidly on that dark path already. Consumer spending has come to a screeching halt since December.

Sadly you are very correct. What is even worse is the motorcycle business is going to probably feel the pain (just like 08) first.

|

Twist the grip off of it! Slinging parts and service at Marine World.

2/4/2016 6:13 PM

WFO! wrote:

It's just turned February, everyone is always skint just after December- Christmas, as for go pro there are only a certain amount of people that want them things so its over until more people join extreme sports . I get fed up listening to shareholders deciding we are on a path to hell just because there shares aren't constantly heading straight to heaven!

|

2/4/2016 6:13 PM

Just the tip of the iceberg my friend... obviously you are not a student of the "trickle down" effect in economics. Just a look around at the local race scenes currently compared to 10-15 years ago will tell you how much LESS money is being spent in our sport at the grass roots/amateur level. Is it ALL because of 4 strokes ?? Not completely, but $ 9,000 bikes and $ 2500 rebuilds certainly have neutered most of the race families that ive encountered....

|

2/4/2016 6:17 PM

Been on for strokes for 10 years...haven't had one of these $2500 rebuilds you speak of....

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

2/4/2016 6:18 PM

I see a lot more bikes out at the local track now than I did in 08, lot of 2 strokes as well.

|

2/4/2016 6:23 PM

GoPro suck. Glad to see them burn. Over-priced. Anti-competition.

|

2/4/2016 6:26 PM

Cmon Bob,horseshit. wink I was sponsoring and building motors for an aspiring pro from 2004-2008 and we had PLENTY of those high dollar rebuilds ,usually multiples in a single season.. coming out of my pocket,and we had fantastic sponsors. One of the main reasons that I had to bail out of the program

|

2/4/2016 6:43 PM

mgifracing wrote:

Sadly you are very correct. What is even worse is the motorcycle business is going to probably feel the pain (just like 08) ...more

I've spoken to several dealer owners over the last few months and all of them were nearly shitting in their pants over the future economic forecasts for the U.S. They are fearing another 2008 episode and have had about all they can take of it.

|

THERE IS NO SECOND MOTO IN LIFE!

2/4/2016 6:49 PM

rely on dirt bikes and die a painful death those are, have been and will continue to be the facts

|

2/4/2016 6:55 PM

Maybe when they (GoPro) can't afford it anymore, Supercross athletes will be able to run whatever camera they want at races. maybe.

|

2/4/2016 7:13 PM

I know a lot of people including my self that have GoPro's that don't use them anymore, so why would anyone up grade to a new one plus the market is saturated with other options and I would bet that is digging into their sale's.

|

2/4/2016 7:27 PM

Sir Roostsalot wrote:

I've spoken to several dealer owners over the last few months and all of them were nearly shitting in their pants over the ...more

Nailed it Sir Roostalot. Sadly the margin in selling a dirtbike is about the equivalent to a happy meal at lunch. Unless you are a progressive dealer pushing side by sides the future is bleak. The dealership I'm at has sold 2 motorcycles since October.

|

2/4/2016 7:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/5/2016 9:24 PM

jasenbougher wrote:

rely on dirt bikes and die a painful death those are, have been and will continue to be the facts

Wrong thread

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

2/4/2016 7:44 PM

Bob, that 2005 TTR125 doesn't count!!!tongue tongue

|

DBB

2/4/2016 7:47 PM

Ktm sales up 18% It's so weird how many people blame the economy like that makes it someone else's problem that things aren't working out financialy for you. Don't like the margins on dirt bikes? Don't sell them, someone else will.

|

2/4/2016 7:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2016 7:57 PM

WFO! wrote:

mgifracing wrote:

Sadly you are very correct. What is even worse is the motorcycle business is going to probably feel the pain (just like 08) ...more

Sir Roostsalot wrote:

I've spoken to several dealer owners over the last few months and all of them were nearly shitting in their pants over the ...more

This is just a guess, in regards to the posts that said his dealer has only sold 2 bikes since October and the dealers shifting their pants, that those dealers dont sell KTM's. KTM and Husky sales of 2015 are up a significant amount. Im indifferent on KTM's but they build numerous models that are appeling to many people. Thus, offering a product that customers want and , therfore, buy.

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

2/4/2016 8:03 PM

Kzizok, I guess your able just to throw out 3/4 of a mil to add a new line. Trust me, We've been trying to get KTM for a while. So flame me for giving an honest opinion of the dirtbike market in my area. Believe it or not KTM dirtbikes don't have that much margin either once a dealer actually looks at the freight they pay to put them there. Luckily the dealership I'm at now is more rural oriented and the mules take care of themselves for the most part.

|

2/4/2016 8:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2016 8:37 PM

To simplify things very greatly, the post 2008 economic "recovery" has only postponed the pain we did not endure during that recession into the future. The "recovery" since then has been financed by enormous amounts of debt, public and private, with each incemental increase in debt generating less growth.

US Federal Debt:
Jan-27-1994 $4,512,950,244,156 ($4.5 trillion)
Jan-27-2002 $5,929,295,811,441
Jan-27-2008 $9,203,187,681,379 $(9.2 trillion)
Jan-27-2010 $12,274,431,428,037
Jan-27-2013 $16,432,519,875,802
Jan-27-2016 $19,012,827,698,417 ($19.012 trillion)

Not sustainable, and certainly not unique to the USA only.

Gizmos, graphics and aftermarket wheels are very easy things to cut back on when the tough times start.

|

2/4/2016 8:42 PM

I don't think 3 companies in the moto industry are a good indicator of the economy. There are more factors at work.

1. GoPro is mismanaged and not innovating. Competition caught up, the larger electronic companies jumped in the market, and they just don't have the business experience to compete. Just a stab in the dark on this one.

2. Wheels are a tough business. Rad makes a good product, but Faster, who is down the street from me, can't build wheels fast enough for the demand and Dubya is every expanding.

3. Ride PG, probably got over their head in providing graphics for teams. I heard they bought a new expensive machine. Perhaps this contributed to their failure.

Now factor in it's an election year and the economy slows to see what the political landscape does, and you have yourself a chick little moment to the locally focused. I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but look at the big picture and the big picture doesn't factor in the motorcycle industry as a key economic indicator.

|

2/4/2016 8:47 PM

Guess we have a bunch of Econ experts on vital. I'll be sure to come here for advice before I buy stocks.

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

2/4/2016 8:48 PM

Go pro will end up like Tivo.

|

2/4/2016 9:04 PM

The dealership I'm at hasn't sold a single KX since before October. Not even snowbikes. a few side by sides and the odd street bike. Then again, we're in Alberta and times aren't exactly great at this point with oil in the shitter

|

Washed up Canadian ex-pro couch racer. Selling bikes for a living

2003 KTM 125SX
2009 KTM 450SX
2016 YFZ450R

2/4/2016 9:36 PM

with how many different sports can utilize go pro its hard to believe they would have issues.

|