X Games at Slayground

Related:
Create New Tag

6/29/2021 9:42 AM

X Games returns to San Diego for first time in more than a decade

Moto X events will be hosted at the Slayground, a massive Ramona property with dirt jumps, wallrides, steep turns, and quarterpipes owned by seven-time X Games medalist Axell Hodges. Skateboarding and some BMX events will be set at the CA Training Facility, in Vista. Most BMX events will be held at the Dreamyard, which takes up all of X Games medalist Pat Casey’s backyard at his Riverside home.

Sadly, no fans will be allowed to attend.
|

21 WR450 | 21 CRF110 | 12 WR450 | 06 YZ250 | 04 TXT 280 Pro

6/29/2021 10:12 AM

Dang, must not be able to afford a venue. X games has fallen a long way from 2000

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

6/29/2021 10:17 AM

More likely that they didn't see themselves hosting crowds, so why not take the contest to the wildest venue possible?

If you weren't going to host a crowd, why would you put it in an arena? If people can't go see it live, might as well give them something they could never see in a stadium/arena setting.

|

6/29/2021 10:24 AM

I predict injuries. That place is bonkers.

|

6/29/2021 11:11 AM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

Dang, must not be able to afford a venue. X games has fallen a long way from 2000

I believe the contract was up, so I'm guessing they're still looking at potential locations/venues before signing a contract for X amount of years.

I think this year will just be a one off at those places. At least I hope so.

That said, I agree that X Games is a long way from what it used to be. I used to look forward to that event each year. Now I just watch the highlight videos.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

6/29/2021 11:47 AM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

If its anything close to Winter X then yeah, it will fizzle out soon. I think the only thing propping it up is the REAL segments. I didn't even realize winter XGames happened this last year, I didn't even see a highlight or post about it until weeks after it happened and half my internet feed is skiing related.

I think between the influx of seeing random dudes doing insane stuff on instagram on a daily basis along with the best trick and freestyle competitions kind of reaching a plateau, the mass appeal has died down. You can see what they are doing to the courses to make it mildly entertaining. A lot more variety and effort is being put into course designs to still be faced with a drop in viewership.

|

6/29/2021 11:57 AM

And a 110 race? Xgames has just become a joke in my eyes.

|

6/29/2021 12:30 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I believe the contract was up, so I'm guessing they're still looking at potential locations/venues before signing a contract ...more

I even looked forward to non moto events. Skate and BMX were some of the best events back in the day. I idolized a lot of those guys. Sal on the mic, Philly, LA. Good times for action sports

|

6/29/2021 12:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/29/2021 12:34 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I believe the contract was up, so I'm guessing they're still looking at potential locations/venues before signing a contract ...more

Johnny Ringo wrote:

I even looked forward to non moto events. Skate and BMX were some of the best events back in the day. I idolized a lot of ...more

Well, lucky for you, if you want to look forward to skateboarding and BMW, they've fallen so low that they're in the actual Olympics now.

|

6/29/2021 12:54 PM

X Games wasn't even on my radar this year until hearing this. Now I'm actually kinda pumped to see what all the other guys can do there. That quad step up is insane.

|

6/29/2021 1:25 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

I even looked forward to non moto events. Skate and BMX were some of the best events back in the day. I idolized a lot of ...more

I remember when they had rollerblading. The Yasutoko brothers (Eito and Takeshi) dominated that sport.

BMX with Mirra and Nyquist was always great.

FMX was awesome because you just never knew what someone was going to pull off. Nowadays it's a variation of backflip tricks after backflip tricks. IMO, it just got boring to watch. Still gnarly, but just so predictable.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

6/29/2021 1:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/29/2021 1:52 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Johnny Ringo wrote:

TooTallJason wrote:

Well, lucky for you, if you want to look forward to skateboarding and BMW, they've fallen so low that they're in the actual ...more

I get that, and it’s cool. But the olympics are so polished. X games were so punk rock and raw. That’s what made it cool.

|

6/29/2021 2:34 PM

Photo
|

6/29/2021 2:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/29/2021 2:38 PM

There's not much star power anymore with x games. Promotion sucks. I remember during the winter x this year they advertised commerical free for the snowboard hallfpipe 30 minute jam and then there were 3 sets of commericals. Doh. If you think peacock programing was bad... Go back and watch that. The personalities they have doing the commentary are not intriguing whatsoever. Maybe just being nostalgic and "back in my day" but it doesn't have near the limelight it used to. Go back and watch pastranas double back in the staples center. Packed. Elbow to elbow. Even up to 2014 the bmx and skate big air was insane and the stands were packed.

|

6/29/2021 2:38 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I remember when they had rollerblading. The Yasutoko brothers (Eito and Takeshi) dominated that sport.

BMX with Mirra and ...more

Watching Tony nail the first 900. Mirra with the first double back flip. As a pre teen/teen those were the dudes to idolize!

|

I'm not a squid.. just a really fast jellyfish.

6/29/2021 2:41 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:

BMX with Mirra and ...more

JG463 wrote:

Watching Tony nail the first 900. Mirra with the first double back flip. As a pre teen/teen those were the dudes to idolize!

Yeah those were the days for sure! Everything X was so huge, its a shame what has become of it.

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

6/29/2021 2:53 PM

Should've had it at Glen Helen. I remember awhile back they had a FMX event and the setup looked awesome. I think the weather killed it though.

|

6/29/2021 2:56 PM

Social Media has killed action sports.

|

6/29/2021 2:58 PM

I think localized venues for disciplines has the potential to breathe new life into the XGames though. Maybe the stagnation came from "well there's only so much we can do in this arena."

Backflips become meh? Well, let's see who's got the balls to do one on some of those jumps out at Axell's.

I grew up watching the XGames and thinking backflips on motos were impossible. And I won't deny that the XGames have been lackluster lately. Is that because we watch so much rad shit anytime we want with YouTube and Insta? Who knows.

But I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty pumped to watch this year.

|

6/29/2021 4:59 PM

Yea I think this could be cool. Axell’s setup is insane and if nothing else there will be some badass riding.

|

6/30/2021 1:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/30/2021 1:09 AM

Its a crazy vanue, should be great! Photo

|

Braaaaaaaap!!