X-Games Discontinues Best Trick Competition

ChingLongBing
Edited Date/Time 3/14/2013 1:45pm
I see nothing on the ESPN site as of right this minute but....

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/x-games-does-away-with-moto-x-best-trick/
|
Butters
3/12/2013 1:28pm
Scott Murray just took his shirt off.
dak446
3/12/2013 1:34pm
Good knee-jerk reaction. Some of the most historical moments in motorsports have come from that competition, to get rid of it is pretty silly, IMO.
peelout
3/12/2013 1:37pm
dak446 wrote:
Good knee-jerk reaction. Some of the most historical moments in motorsports have come from that competition, to get rid of it is pretty silly, IMO.
Xgames women's endurox will always hold a special place in my heart

The Shop

dak446
3/12/2013 1:40pm
dak446 wrote:
peelout wrote:
Xgames women's endurox will always hold a special place in my heart
Ha, I'm with you on that one!
C.Worthy
3/12/2013 2:01pm
I heard skateboarding, Bmx, and Rally are the next to go. Apparently they're replacing them with UFC instead. Wink
ChingLongBing
3/12/2013 2:02pm
mxrider225 wrote:
They got rid of freestyle too didn't they?
From what I understand the freestyle is still in place for both snow and moto.

Here's the link to ESPN's article: http://xgames.espn.go.com/article/9044371/x-games-discontinues-moto-x-best-trick-snowmobile-best-trick

I think it's a shame, it was a very unfortunate thing that happened to Caleb and I can't imagine what his friends and family are going through but these guys doing this know the risks and you can't tell me ESPN and all the promoters didn't/don't know them too. It's been going on for what? About 20 years now? They'd be naive to think this would never happen.

They just dropped one of if not the biggest draw of the games in typical knee jerk form.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/12/2013 2:09pm
Someone dies and it's a knee-jerk reaction? They were lucky they dodged bullets for years on that event at X. I seriously held my breath while watching (and covering) that one...especially when it was Youtube competitors.
dak446
3/12/2013 2:23pm
GuyB wrote:
Someone dies and it's a knee-jerk reaction? They were lucky they dodged bullets for years on that event at X. I seriously held my breath while...
Someone dies and it's a knee-jerk reaction? They were lucky they dodged bullets for years on that event at X. I seriously held my breath while watching (and covering) that one...especially when it was Youtube competitors.
Yes. Are there ways they could make it more safe for competitors? Certainly. But to completely do away with something like that seems rash to me.
JW381
3/12/2013 2:30pm
I guess I'm the odd man out so far (GuyB's opinion doesn't count, it's his house) but I won't miss it. It peaked in '06 with Travis, now it's just a bunch of one-trick-ponies who are either going to break their necks, or pull off some flipping twirling BMX trick that I don't really think is even all that cool on a dirtbike. Could I do any of it? No, but that's not the point. There have been some highlights in recent years, but I don't really think it outweighs the failed tricks that have been hyped all day long with YouTube footage of some sketchy attempt into a foam pit. Just not what it's about to me.
Schipwreck
3/12/2013 2:34pm
GuyB wrote:
Someone dies and it's a knee-jerk reaction? They were lucky they dodged bullets for years on that event at X. I seriously held my breath while...
I'm with Guy on this one..I.M.O. the risk vs reward for these guy's is out of balance now and trick progression has peaked. I loved watching Travis do the double back just as much as the next guy..BUT i sure as hell wouldn't want any of my family or friends trying that crap.
qtrracer
3/12/2013 2:47pm
I'm not a big fan of the X-Games. They could not hold them at all and I wouldn't miss it, summer or winter.
72kiteboarder
3/12/2013 2:51pm Edited Date/Time 3/12/2013 2:53pm
ESPN should take the X-Games back to it's origins. Get rid of all the motorized sports and bring back the eco-challenge and rock climbing events.
ChingLongBing
3/12/2013 2:51pm
GuyB wrote:
dak446 wrote:
Yes. Are there ways they could make it more safe for competitors? Certainly. But to completely do away with something like that seems rash to me.
This ^^

It's been only a month and a half since his passing and they already have come to the conclusion that they couldn't possibly try to work on things to make it any more safe? Not that they shouldn't always be looking at ways to improve safety but to just dismiss it that quickly seems knee jerk to me. If this was decided in June (a month or two before the actual games) after some serious thought and exploration into safety progression then i guess it'd be more understandable. It may not be a popular answer, but I do think it was a little knee jerk.
jtomasik
3/12/2013 2:53pm Edited Date/Time 3/12/2013 2:54pm
Flipping those sleds and bikes is simply asking for big trouble. It's their decision, and it doesn't seem to be one without merit.

That said, to me, FMX is to MX what figure skating is to hockey.
JW381
3/12/2013 2:56pm
ESPN should take the X-Games back to it's origins. Get rid of all the motorized sports and bring back the eco-challenge and rock climbing events.
I think dirtbike freestyle is X-Games roots, but I'm with ya here. It's become so (sorry for sounding so grunge) corporate. It's made for TV, no excitement or atmosphere most of the time, it pails in comparison to the likes of SF '99 out on the pier. To me, that will ALWAYS be X-Games!
BD233
3/12/2013 3:06pm
It's coming back around. Tomas Pages just won Red Bull X-Fighters in Mexico with no backflips in his run. The riders are starting to police it themselves. The risk/reward is out of balance. If they brought back the style and left out some of the tech tricks I'd be all for it. The whip is still the sickest trick ever in my book.
fader418
3/12/2013 3:17pm
The X Ray games are a joke. Its all rigged!
mxjordy127
3/12/2013 3:35pm
And freestyle kayak bungee jumping
FlaNard
3/12/2013 3:57pm
That's too bad. No reason for me to watch X anymore. Skateboarding is like watching snails fuck and the only bmx I can stand is dirt, and I can't remember if they finally got around to bringing that back. Oh well. X-Fighters it is.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
3/12/2013 4:01pm
fader418 wrote:
haha.

sure.
TerryB
3/12/2013 4:17pm
qtrracer wrote:
I'm not a big fan of the X-Games. They could not hold them at all and I wouldn't miss it, summer or winter.
+1. The three young rider/racers that I know well enough to know their viewing habits couldn't give two shits either.

But, they don't live in the 909 and don't drive lifted trucks, so they obviously don't know what's sikk.
FlaNard
3/12/2013 4:22pm
fader418 wrote:
Regis wrote:
haha.

sure.
Any chance we see big air back if they modified it a bit? Pastrana has mentioned getting that padding stuff like they have at the top bmx parks for the landing so guys could really go off without as high a risk.
3/12/2013 4:30pm
I'm disappointed if it's true, but I think that it is a smart decision. Recently it seems like the crash to landing successfully ratio is way off.

I like to see incredible tricks just as much as the next guy, but a good old fashioned whip is just as cool and a lot more likely to be landed.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
3/12/2013 4:39pm
fader418 wrote:
Regis wrote:
haha.

sure.
FlaNard wrote:
Any chance we see big air back if they modified it a bit? Pastrana has mentioned getting that padding stuff like they have at the top...
Any chance we see big air back if they modified it a bit? Pastrana has mentioned getting that padding stuff like they have at the top bmx parks for the landing so guys could really go off without as high a risk.
Honestly,

I love X games. I have always been such a huge fan of freestyle and best trick. The problem is, the sport has gone so far and the envelope pushed so far that it is just insane what is being thought up or attempted to be competitive.

I am so conflicted with my thoughts on the state of the sport.

We have lost

Jeremy Lusk, Jim Mcneil and now Eigo Sato to the backflip.

The flip looks so easy and is seriously poetry in motion. However, when it goes bad, it is really bad. Now, regular backflips won't even get you close to the top.

Best trick was an insane contest that rewarded pushing the sport, but now the risks of pushing the sport can be fatal.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
3/12/2013 4:40pm
if you haven't seen it,

you need to see Tom Pages mexico city winning run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgP5Jmw_iI

he is proving you can win without the flip and being upside down. This is a great direction for freestyle.
3/12/2013 5:03pm
I really want to say something inflammatory but I don't know which side of this I'm on Sad

Post a reply to: X-Games Discontinues Best Trick Competition

The Latest