Wrist brace after fracture?

Torco1
Edited Date/Time 4/15/2015 9:03pm
Have any of you worn or still wear a wrist brace after fracturing a wrist? If so, what would you recommend? I broke my left wrist a few weeks ago right at the joint, my hand as well. I've never had wrist problems (they're pretty strong from all the jerking off) but I can only imagine that its going to really suck when I start riding again, so I've been thinking of wearing a brace on that wrist until it gets stronger and more of the movement back.
|
Jakes Dad
4/15/2015 1:13pm
Allsport Dynamics. Jake has had 4 fractures on his left lower arm and wrist.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
4/15/2015 1:24pm
Tape. I've had a left fractured wrist for over a year. My ortho said it needs to be pinned again, but I've had it pinned in three places and it's never been great. The pain is minimal, and I'm still able to ride MX and spar kickboxing as long as I tape it up real good.
If you're looking for a brace to prevent further damage I think the Allsport Dynamics looks excellent, but you may want to tape it up underneath also.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
4/15/2015 1:42pm
Are you sure you're going to have problems with it? Is it in a cast? I broke my wrist, elbow and thumb all at the same time and the wrist was actually the only one that didn't give me much of a problem after the healing period. I broke my thumb on the lower part near the wrist and that is what took the longest to be 100%. It took some time to get the flexibility back in my wrist and elbow though.

My advice would be that unless you're a pro athlete and rely on getting back to the sport to earn your living, do what the doctor says and take the required amount of healing time. You'll thank yourself later in life.
shiftmx_22
Fantasy
708th
4/15/2015 1:57pm
I agree with what chopper is saying. If it's not your livelihood, take your time getting back. With that being said, I've broken both wrists a few times, and had them pinned a few times, and the last time I bought a pair of these Allsport Dynamics wrist braces and they did help. I waited a good 6 weeks, but my wrist still felt a little weak when I got back on a bike and the braces definitely added strength.

I wear them on both wrists full time now, but haven't had any big wrecks with them so far where I felt like they really saved me, so I can't attest to their prevention capabilities.

The Shop

4/15/2015 2:45pm
I broke my left wrist (scaphoid) and had it pinned. At this point flexibility and strength are like 90~95%, but its been about 4 years. I still have to do push-ups on my knuckles, thats about the only thing that still bothers me.

I bought the allsport dynamic brace and its great, although it doesn't support your wrist during normal motion, it just prevents over extension and supports the wrist during impact. I bought flexx bars and that helped a lot when I first got back on the bike, made things more comfortable. Now I can ride without the brace or the flexx bars, but I've kept both. Flexx bars are awesome even if you have two perfectly functional wrists.
Torco1
4/15/2015 4:57pm
shiftmx_22 wrote:
I agree with what chopper is saying. If it's not your livelihood, take your time getting back. With that being said, I've broken both wrists a...
I agree with what chopper is saying. If it's not your livelihood, take your time getting back. With that being said, I've broken both wrists a few times, and had them pinned a few times, and the last time I bought a pair of these Allsport Dynamics wrist braces and they did help. I waited a good 6 weeks, but my wrist still felt a little weak when I got back on a bike and the braces definitely added strength.

I wear them on both wrists full time now, but haven't had any big wrecks with them so far where I felt like they really saved me, so I can't attest to their prevention capabilities.
I don't have any intentions of riding prematurely or anything......I'm definitely waiting until my doc says it's ok to ride. I was just thinking of getting a brace or something for when I start riding again, just for extra protection.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
4/15/2015 4:59pm Edited Date/Time 4/15/2015 4:59pm
Walgreen's
4/15/2015 5:23pm
My wrist fracture wasn't too bad so I didn't feel like I needed much. I wore one of these evs wraps that has pads that you put in to vary stability in the wrist. I eventually worked down to not needing it through excercises like turning your wrist is a bucket of sand and some weight training. Good luck finding a brace and coming back from your injury though
jmar
4/15/2015 5:30pm

Allsport Dynamics is as good as it gets. But if you need a brace to ride. You need to stay off of the bike a little longer.
fanopj1
4/15/2015 6:27pm
As everyone has already said. All sports dynamic is the best. Needed one for my right wrist and got one for the left as a precaution. Gary is awesome to deal with and will work on price if not using insurance. Absolutely would recommend them.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
4/15/2015 7:10pm
+1 on the AllSport Dynamics brace. It works well for over extending, but as mentioned, taping it will be best for all around support. I've ALWAYS ridden earlier than I should've, I know it's not the smartest thing to do. Although, I busted myself up good recently and will be off the bike for at least 4 months total, if not more. I'm going on 50 this year, it's all starting to catch up to me lately.
shanes
4/15/2015 9:03pm
just tapped mine until it was strong enough

Post a reply to: Wrist brace after fracture?

The Latest