Wrist Recovery

crockett
10/17/2018 10:10am Edited Date/Time 10/18/2018 9:10am
So i added another one to the list in July, at mission raceway.
recently bought new Tech 7's, most noticeable difference for me in these boots was the slim profile on the sole. So i adjusted me rear brake pedal to get better feeling under braking pedal, made to much of an adjustment and first lap of race my rear brake started to lock up, bike under power would still go, but coming off the gas at all would cause skidding. i over jumped finish table and at landing bike swapped throwing me off, resulting in a dislocated wrist and broken scaphoid. Due to dislocation, doctors said it would require pinning the scaphoid as well as K wire to stabilize the wrist.
Im Now out of cast for almost 2 months and recovery has been pretty minimal.
I had my first day out riding on Sunday and while wrist feels strong. I can't use much body english on bike as it limits my range of motion and at that point wrist becomes extremely weak.
Well i could have a pity party for myself if this was any other sport, but looking around it seems almost every pro is wearing a wrist brace for some reason or another. so My reason for posting this is to see what you vitards have done or found best to recover from wrist injuries.
do i just need to give it time and hope mobility comes back
currently looking into rehab.
or is pushing it to the point of pain to gain mobility the answer.
photos for reference

|
10/17/2018 10:19am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2018 10:21am
My left is the same way. My range of motion is non existent. I do some stretches like in your pictures to improve flexibility a bitt. Also I bought the Mobius wrist brace. The thing is a life saver. My wrist used to hurt so bad when riding. Now I don't even notice when on the bike. The next couple days after though.... Stock up on Advil.
Bret
10/17/2018 10:28am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2018 10:34am
Physical therapy is your next step. I am surprised that your doctor didn't suggest it when you got the cast off.
10/17/2018 1:15pm
Man that stinks, wrists can take a long time to heal. Mines still jacked some 30 years later. Like MD said get physical therapy ASAP. You don't want to be compromised years from now.

Also don't make changes to your bike on race day that you haven't run before. I've learned that one the hard way too.

The Shop

tobz
10/17/2018 1:52pm
2 months after a scaphoid is pretty good! I'm 12 months on and I still can't ride for more than 5 minutes without armpump and the hand going numb.
10/17/2018 2:13pm
Feel you man... broke both scaphoid early March this year. Physical therapy is key. Good luck
motogrady
10/17/2018 7:22pm
Snapped mine going over the bars back in the 70s.
No pin, cast for 18 weeks.
No rom when it came off.
Took up tennis. Hurt the hell out of it, but it came back, just takes time.
Badd127
Fantasy
2116th
10/18/2018 2:32am
Sounds like a very similar injury to mine. My broken scaphoid took 5 months to heal, so I couldn't push the wrist too much before it was fully healed, as they were worried it wouldn't heal around the screw and that the bone would die. The rest of the bones were a bit of a jigsaw puzzle, and needed some ligaments surgically repaired. I'm just over one year in now and it's still as stiff as a honeymooners cock. Took 9 months before I could ride again, the strength in my whole arm from the shoulder down was gone, due to not using my hand for 6 months. My wrist is far from perfect and the surgeon says that it won't improve any more. I now ride with a mobius brace, which I think is awesome for support. I have raced 4 times since I came back,and it's not going too bad, but there is no way I could ride 3 times a week like I use to.
If you are still in the early stages of recovery I would recommend stretching the hell out of it.

Badd127
Fantasy
2116th
10/18/2018 2:35am
The one thing that is fairly annoying while riding, is having to re-grip with my throttle hand sometimes. I might have to look into a quick turn throttle.
r18b
10/18/2018 2:51am
crockett wrote:
So i added another one to the list in July, at mission raceway. recently bought new Tech 7's, most noticeable difference for me in these boots...
So i added another one to the list in July, at mission raceway.
recently bought new Tech 7's, most noticeable difference for me in these boots was the slim profile on the sole. So i adjusted me rear brake pedal to get better feeling under braking pedal, made to much of an adjustment and first lap of race my rear brake started to lock up, bike under power would still go, but coming off the gas at all would cause skidding. i over jumped finish table and at landing bike swapped throwing me off, resulting in a dislocated wrist and broken scaphoid. Due to dislocation, doctors said it would require pinning the scaphoid as well as K wire to stabilize the wrist.
Im Now out of cast for almost 2 months and recovery has been pretty minimal.
I had my first day out riding on Sunday and while wrist feels strong. I can't use much body english on bike as it limits my range of motion and at that point wrist becomes extremely weak.
Well i could have a pity party for myself if this was any other sport, but looking around it seems almost every pro is wearing a wrist brace for some reason or another. so My reason for posting this is to see what you vitards have done or found best to recover from wrist injuries.
do i just need to give it time and hope mobility comes back
currently looking into rehab.
or is pushing it to the point of pain to gain mobility the answer.
photos for reference

Ah don't complain. 3 weeks ago thanks to new techs. It's all gonna be good in the end. Time will heal.

10/18/2018 3:14am
I fractured both my radius in mid April. Started riding at the beginning of July. Had physical therapy on it and pretty much all we did was stretching. What's interesting is that I actually had to stretch my neck and arms a lot as well and that really helped too. From what I understand, it allowed better blood flow to the wrists so they could heal faster. She also saw that some of my muscles had tense spots and knew how to handle those, so I'd definitely recommend physical therapy but as long as you stretch a couple of times per day you're also good.

The wrists started to feel good again during the day but I had problems with doing push ups for a long time (up until the beginning of this month I'd say) so wrists braces seemed ideal for me as they transfer the energy from your wrists to your hand and forearm. I couldn't have ridden without them! I barely notice them and I'm able to maintain good form.
I bought a set of mobius because they were cheaper than a single Allsports brace, but those are probably really good too.

It's also interesting to note that my right wrist healed much faster than the left, for some reason. I know that my left radius healed at a slightly different angle so maybe things had to grind back into place there. I could have done pushups with my right wrists since the end of august, left wrists only since october. And I recently fell on my right wrist when I tipped over with my mtb and it hurt for almost 3 weeks.

I guess it just takes a lot of time. Stretch a lot and give your wrist the time to recover when it feels sore or hurts. Try to stretch slightly into the pain. That's pretty much all about my experience!
Moto520
10/18/2018 7:20am Edited Date/Time 10/18/2018 7:22am
From the photos it looks like you have great range of motion. Get the Mobius wrist brace because it provides compression that some of the others don't which results in less movement. I have the Mobius and the Allsport Dynamic custom brace and, while it still hurts to ride, I can get through a day. It will get better as you go until it's not a problem. Can you do a pushup?

I broke and dislocated my wrist April 29th and i'm back riding. Mine was pretty jacked up so if I can come back so can you!
Moto520
10/18/2018 7:24am

Badd127
Fantasy
2116th
10/18/2018 7:40am
Moto520 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/18/296702/s1200_InkedIMG_6018_LI.jpg[/img]

WOW! That's does not look good. Was there anything broken? Did you need surgery?

I was sure I was going to get arm pump with the mobius brace, but it hasn't been a problem at all. My hand has gone numb a few times while riding and one time it locked up, I couldn't straighten or tighten my fingers on the grip.

But like GER said above, stretch it a lot, and as long as your doctor doesn't have a problem with how much you push it, from my experience you aren't going to get any improvement unless you push into that pain barrier while stretching.
The thing we can all look forward to now is early onset arthritis, yay!

Moto520
10/18/2018 7:43am
Moto520 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/18/296702/s1200_InkedIMG_6018_LI.jpg[/img]

Badd127 wrote:
WOW! That's does not look good. Was there anything broken? Did you need surgery? I was sure I was going to get arm pump with the...
WOW! That's does not look good. Was there anything broken? Did you need surgery?

I was sure I was going to get arm pump with the mobius brace, but it hasn't been a problem at all. My hand has gone numb a few times while riding and one time it locked up, I couldn't straighten or tighten my fingers on the grip.

But like GER said above, stretch it a lot, and as long as your doctor doesn't have a problem with how much you push it, from my experience you aren't going to get any improvement unless you push into that pain barrier while stretching.
The thing we can all look forward to now is early onset arthritis, yay!

Yes and yes.

Springcreek
10/18/2018 9:10am
Compound wrist fracture in 2012 at age 54, just takes time to get range and strength back, still racing at age 60 lack of range is like a throttle limiter for this old guy!

Post a reply to: Wrist Recovery

The Latest