Wow, RJ thinks James is the best ever!

rcm406
Edited Date/Time 8/1/2014 4:11pm
Funny, I share his opinion as well!Wink

From MXA interview:

WHO IS THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME? I don’t believe that Ricky Carmichael is the greatest of all time. He is awesome. He is a great champion. But to say that he’s the best of all time? I don’t think that he would have survived had he raced in an earlier era. He was too small. He could not ride in the 1960s with Roger DeCoster and Joel Robert, because his style would have broken the bike. He would have been injured. Yes, he’s the greatest of his time, but not all time. I’m not saying that I’m better, but to put that label on him isn’t quite right with me.

SO WHO IS THE BEST? The best rider ever, at least in terms of technique and speed, is James Stewart. He’s not very smart and he crashes a lot, but when he does it right, he does things that make me scratch my head. I could always figure out what Broc Glover was doing on the bike. The same with Ryan Villopoto and Ryan Dungey. Then you watch Stewart and you go, “Where did that come from?” But, he needs to learn to pull back. There’s no rule that says that you have to win the race by 10 minutes.
|
Zracer
7/28/2014 11:56am
Hes not very smart and he crashes alot but hes the best of all time. Good logic RJ. Why do you 7 Fans always bait with stupid shit like this?
Brent
7/28/2014 11:57am
"Greatest" or "Most Talented" ?

I alway thought championships were the benchmark. James is by far and away the most talented man ever to ride a dirt bike, In my opinion.

But does that mean he is the Greatest?

Define "Greatest" please...
Ing
7/28/2014 12:01pm
One goat and that's RC. Schooled JS almost every time they took the track. RJ is jealous. Even his "compliment" to JS had a awful lot of negative things to say.

The Shop

hvaughn88
7/28/2014 12:04pm
Ing wrote:
One goat and that's RC. Schooled JS almost every time they took the track. RJ is jealous. Even his "compliment" to JS had a awful lot...
One goat and that's RC. Schooled JS almost every time they took the track. RJ is jealous. Even his "compliment" to JS had a awful lot of negative things to say.
Jealous? I definitely didn't get that from the article.
peelout
7/28/2014 12:13pm
yeah... i'm gonna go ahead and disagree with RJ's entire statement about both RC and JS.

JS was and is likely the most talented guy to ever ride/race a dirt-bike... that definitely doesn't trump the achievements of RC though, in my opinion.
stewie94
7/28/2014 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 7/28/2014 12:15pm
imo based on natural talent , stew is better than RC but as a whole overall career wise , i got RC over stew
7/28/2014 12:15pm
Best rider ever? JS (natural talent, technique, speed)
Greatest rider ever? RC( stamina, attitude, training, pure willpower to win,championships)
I'd assume that is what RJ meant.
Dirty Mike
7/28/2014 12:16pm
Best ever outdoors: RC
Best ever in supercross: McGrath
Tumblin
7/28/2014 12:18pm
Best rider ever? JS (natural talent, technique, speed)
Greatest rider ever? RC( stamina, attitude, training, pure willpower to win,championships)
I'd assume that is what RJ meant.
agree with both you and RJ
Bultaco
7/28/2014 12:19pm
That is a great interview. RJ seems to be a great guy with a good perspective on life. Someone you'd want for a neighbor or friend.
rcm406
7/28/2014 12:22pm
Read the answer again. He says best rider, not best racer! which I agree with RJ.
ChrisB10
7/28/2014 12:23pm
rider and racer are different
7/28/2014 12:30pm
I love RJ, and as a kid I covered the walls with his posters, but I also remember him being an arrogant bung hole sometimes lol. He is still my favorite of all besides Bailey. I'd love to REALLY hear what the old riders think of 4 strokes and their effects on racing. I heard RJ actually say in an interview that "4 strokes have ruined supercross" lol.
peelout
7/28/2014 12:31pm
Bultaco wrote:
That is a great interview. RJ seems to be a great guy with a good perspective on life. Someone you'd want for a neighbor or friend.
met him at the Hard Rock in vegas after the supercross finale one year, he was with Tortelli and he had a gnarly mullet going on. walked over and shook his hand and bench raced for a few minutes before going our separate ways. very nice guy and has always been one of my favorites
huck
7/28/2014 12:31pm
Just like all of us, RJ is entitled to his opinion...even if it's wrong!
bish153
7/28/2014 12:44pm Edited Date/Time 7/28/2014 12:48pm
You said it RJ, you said it all!!!
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
7/28/2014 12:50pm
I think comparing riders from different eras is a little bit silly, but I have seen recently where Jeff Matiasevich and Denny Stephenson have said the same thing as RJ.

RC definitely gets the best "racer" award though.
DonM
7/28/2014 12:51pm
Leading up to the Gatorback race that RJ destroyed his wrist at, a guy that was I practicing with crashed and hurt his wrist, so we were in the hotel parking lot and the quack chiropractor (won't mention names) that followed the circuit around had this guy in his trailer with his wrist strapped to a bar and magnets wrapped around his wrist to "encourage" healing. RJ, Denny Stephenson and Larry Ward walk up and ask what is going on, so I explain that I'm pretty sure my buddy broke his wrist (you could see it was displaced) but this quack kept saying it was just a bad sprain and he would have him ready by Sunday! RJ kept saying "dude your wrist is jacked, you need to go to the hospital" and this "DR" would argue with him about how he didn't know anything. In the meantime RJ was sitting on the steps of this guys trailer and was showing how jacked his knee was by grabbing his leg below the knee and moving it about 1-1 1/2 inches at the knee and you could hear it clunking! The whole time they were giving this guy with his wrist wrapped in magnets and strapped to a ceiling rail a hard time. Ironically it was that weekend that he ruined his wrist and basically his racing career.
Zoom
7/28/2014 12:54pm
I agree that Stewart is the fastest rider off all time. Most of the fastest motocrossers of all time even agree that he is the fastest of all time. This is what AMA Hall of Famer Steve Wise said to me one time..."Stewart is the fastest rider of all time, just not the smartest..."
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
7/28/2014 12:56pm
DonM wrote:
Leading up to the Gatorback race that RJ destroyed his wrist at, a guy that was I practicing with crashed and hurt his wrist, so we...
Leading up to the Gatorback race that RJ destroyed his wrist at, a guy that was I practicing with crashed and hurt his wrist, so we were in the hotel parking lot and the quack chiropractor (won't mention names) that followed the circuit around had this guy in his trailer with his wrist strapped to a bar and magnets wrapped around his wrist to "encourage" healing. RJ, Denny Stephenson and Larry Ward walk up and ask what is going on, so I explain that I'm pretty sure my buddy broke his wrist (you could see it was displaced) but this quack kept saying it was just a bad sprain and he would have him ready by Sunday! RJ kept saying "dude your wrist is jacked, you need to go to the hospital" and this "DR" would argue with him about how he didn't know anything. In the meantime RJ was sitting on the steps of this guys trailer and was showing how jacked his knee was by grabbing his leg below the knee and moving it about 1-1 1/2 inches at the knee and you could hear it clunking! The whole time they were giving this guy with his wrist wrapped in magnets and strapped to a ceiling rail a hard time. Ironically it was that weekend that he ruined his wrist and basically his racing career.
I remember seeing Danny Storbeck land on RJ at Gatorback, that was terrible. We walked over to the EMT with RJ, and you could see his wrist was toast. Such a bummer, he was starting to dominate at that time.

bluepumpkin
7/28/2014 12:57pm
stewie94 wrote:
imo based on natural talent , stew is better than RC but as a whole overall career wise , i got RC over stew
I would have to go with Pastrana over Stewart.
7/28/2014 12:59pm
When RJ hurt his wrist, all I had was MXA every month to check on whether he was going to resume his career or not. I remember when he came back and started winning that I thought everything was fine, but reality set in and he was too injured to ever dominate again. Besides bailey's injury it was the biggest blow ever in my young mind. If a rider received the exact same injury now, has medicine progressed to a point that a rider could be completely healed from that kind of wrist injury? Was it just that bad of a break or was it the inability of the surgery at that time to help it? I've always wondered.
DonM
7/28/2014 1:08pm
DonM wrote:
Leading up to the Gatorback race that RJ destroyed his wrist at, a guy that was I practicing with crashed and hurt his wrist, so we...
gsxrcr28 wrote:
I remember seeing Danny Storbeck land on RJ at Gatorback, that was terrible. We walked over to the EMT with RJ, and you could see his...
I remember seeing Danny Storbeck land on RJ at Gatorback, that was terrible. We walked over to the EMT with RJ, and you could see his wrist was toast. Such a bummer, he was starting to dominate at that time.

I was standing in the corner behind the step-up when it happened and saw the whole thing...If I remember right it was during practice and RJ was just cruising around and didn't jump the step-up and Storbeck did, neither one crashed and Storbeck kept going while RJ pulled over holding his wrist.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
7/28/2014 1:16pm
DonM wrote:
gsxrcr28 wrote:
I remember seeing Danny Storbeck land on RJ at Gatorback, that was terrible. We walked over to the EMT with RJ, and you could see his...

DonM wrote:
I was standing in the corner behind the step-up when it happened and saw the whole thing...If I remember right it was during practice and RJ...
I was standing in the corner behind the step-up when it happened and saw the whole thing...If I remember right it was during practice and RJ was just cruising around and didn't jump the step-up and Storbeck did, neither one crashed and Storbeck kept going while RJ pulled over holding his wrist.
That's what I remember, I can't remember if either one crashed though.
We were standing in the same location.
bigborefan
7/28/2014 1:23pm
Zoom wrote:
I agree that Stewart is the fastest rider off all time. Most of the fastest motocrossers of all time even agree that he is the fastest...
I agree that Stewart is the fastest rider off all time. Most of the fastest motocrossers of all time even agree that he is the fastest of all time. This is what AMA Hall of Famer Steve Wise said to me one time..."Stewart is the fastest rider of all time, just not the smartest..."
I say Magoo was fastest ever.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
7/28/2014 1:24pm
One of the first big name old pro's I have heard doubt RC. James says how he wants to be like RC in so many interviews. Both are amazing and RJ too but he likes drama.
7/28/2014 1:25pm
Dirty Mike wrote:
Best ever outdoors: RC
Best ever in supercross: McGrath
Career wise but not if they squared off in their prime. In his prime (2007-2009) Stewart would have beaten McGrath in a supercross series and RC outdoors. He was faster and at that time consistent enough to take either one of them at their given specialty.
davistld01
7/28/2014 1:40pm
Zracer wrote:
Hes not very smart and he crashes alot but hes the best of all time. Good logic RJ. Why do you 7 Fans always bait with...
Hes not very smart and he crashes alot but hes the best of all time. Good logic RJ. Why do you 7 Fans always bait with stupid shit like this?
Yeah, you're right. RJ is a dumbass, and has no idea what he's talking about.
7/28/2014 1:47pm
Zracer wrote:
Hes not very smart and he crashes alot but hes the best of all time. Good logic RJ. Why do you 7 Fans always bait with...
man you have a hard time reading don't you. Plus I don't get why you are calling Ricky Johnson a '7 fan who is baiting people with stupid shit.'
Everyone has an opinion, however RJ's is worth way way more than yours.

Post a reply to: Wow, RJ thinks James is the best ever!

The Latest