Would you still buy an Alta?

WarrenMX
Edited Date/Time 12/9/2018 9:11am
To the folks who were thinking about it or at least saw an Alta in their future, would you still consider buying one if the price was right?

I kind of saw myself buying one in two years (before the company shut down). I was wondering to myself today if I'd still consider getting one if the price was right.

|
agn5009
12/4/2018 10:17am
I wouldn’t. I can imagine the availability of parts will quickly disappear.
kb228
12/4/2018 10:19am
The bikes are super reliable as in they dont need maintenance really. But because theres no more support from alta, that means no parts if something broke. Cant say id buy one if i wasnt a collector
12/4/2018 10:30am
Yes, if it was really cheap

The Shop

Lightning78
12/4/2018 10:39am
I would think that besides the motor and wiring harness, there isn't anything that an aftermarket company can't reproduce...

Although I will say, the gas tank design looks overly complex and proprietary so if it were me and I was about to purchase one... I would for sure stock up on the items that are gonna be hard to find or get for the Alta electric MX bike. Things like a couple spare gas tanks, at least 3 of the full race spec Mufflers and for God's sake buy as many air filters as your budget will allow so you're not caught looking stupid down the road.

This isn't a spam post but for those interested in buying an Alta or those that already own one, I recently secured an exclusive side deal to produce the items I mentioned above and these things (Ultra lightweight gas tank, Race spec Full Length Muffkers and Hi-Flow Air Filters) strictly for the Alta MX Models. They will be available as separate items or as a package.... msrp tbd.

You can get these items on my new website which is still under construction ..... i dont have a url yet either but I will once people confirm orders and start sending me money.
newmann
12/4/2018 10:42am
If the price was right? Where does that price come in at? I know used gas powered bikes drop in value until they level off at around 2-3 grand once they get a few years on them. An Alta five years out? Requiring a $5000.00 battery(???) that may not be available?

Brad460
Fantasy
736th
12/4/2018 11:05am
No way....It may be reliable..so what.... rarely do my bikes fail due to reliability reasons. Its almost always due to a crash!

What happens if you cartwheel and break the handlebar mounted display? Or puncture the battery? Or break some other critical part? Might as well throw it away..

Hold off until we are get a final resolution to Alta.
ktmdan
12/4/2018 11:11am
I prefer my gasoline, but the tech is really cool. Would love to have one to mess around on.

They are on the newest SAE mag cover... been trying to find time to read it.

The article was written before they folded.

Holigan
12/4/2018 11:17am
Yes, probably will. Building a track in the city surrounded by two apartments complexes, a senior home and a forest preserve with trails. Due to noise there is no way I could get away with riding a 2 or 4 stroke in the area.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
12/4/2018 11:26am
Holigan wrote:
Yes, probably will. Building a track in the city surrounded by two apartments complexes, a senior home and a forest preserve with trails. Due to noise...
Yes, probably will. Building a track in the city surrounded by two apartments complexes, a senior home and a forest preserve with trails. Due to noise there is no way I could get away with riding a 2 or 4 stroke in the area.
I doubt you still will be able to ride in the area, noise is only one of the reasons people hate dirt bikes. I would guess noise is the number one reason people call the police, but you will still have busybodies in the community who will stop at nothing if they see you having fun on a dirt bike. Sad
crowe176
12/4/2018 12:18pm
I would think that besides the motor and wiring harness, there isn't anything that an aftermarket company can't reproduce... Although I will say, the gas tank...
I would think that besides the motor and wiring harness, there isn't anything that an aftermarket company can't reproduce...

Although I will say, the gas tank design looks overly complex and proprietary so if it were me and I was about to purchase one... I would for sure stock up on the items that are gonna be hard to find or get for the Alta electric MX bike. Things like a couple spare gas tanks, at least 3 of the full race spec Mufflers and for God's sake buy as many air filters as your budget will allow so you're not caught looking stupid down the road.

This isn't a spam post but for those interested in buying an Alta or those that already own one, I recently secured an exclusive side deal to produce the items I mentioned above and these things (Ultra lightweight gas tank, Race spec Full Length Muffkers and Hi-Flow Air Filters) strictly for the Alta MX Models. They will be available as separate items or as a package.... msrp tbd.

You can get these items on my new website which is still under construction ..... i dont have a url yet either but I will once people confirm orders and start sending me money.
el oh el
Johnny Smokes
12/4/2018 12:21pm
Company folded, bike is unreliable, slow, not competitive and ugly. No thank you.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
12/4/2018 12:22pm
Holigan wrote:
Yes, probably will. Building a track in the city surrounded by two apartments complexes, a senior home and a forest preserve with trails. Due to noise...
lostboy819 wrote:
I doubt you still will be able to ride in the area, noise is only one of the reasons people hate dirt bikes. I would guess...
I doubt you still will be able to ride in the area, noise is only one of the reasons people hate dirt bikes. I would guess noise is the number one reason people call the police, but you will still have busybodies in the community who will stop at nothing if they see you having fun on a dirt bike. Sad
Can't forget dust. The second biggest complaint about bikes.
Donovan759
12/4/2018 12:24pm
I have a lot of respect for the company and the bike, but I couldn't buy one now...
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
12/4/2018 12:32pm
I've been looking to see if any alta dealers are trying to dump the bikes they got. I'll pick one up if it's cheap enough. IMO worth the risk of not having parts
JM485
12/4/2018 12:34pm
Company folded, bike is unreliable, slow, not competitive and ugly. No thank you.
A simple test like this and all you could muster was a score of 20%? You spend a lot of time pushing doors that say pull don’t you?
12/4/2018 12:50pm
Are you thinking of the right bike?

My MXR is super reliable, faster than my 450, competitive against the new 450's, and looks bitchen.
Doddy
12/4/2018 1:27pm
There are 6 - 7 of them still at a dealer 45 mins south of me if anyone is interested. No else seems to be around here?
Ray_MXS
12/4/2018 1:34pm
I would think that besides the motor and wiring harness, there isn't anything that an aftermarket company can't reproduce... Although I will say, the gas tank...

Mufflers and air filters, good one SillyGrinning
BR8ES
12/4/2018 2:32pm
8 years from now, will we see the "can I just bolt such and such engine in this Alta i picked up cheap"? Wide enough frame rails, good hill climber transplant chassis... i would buy one if they were Harbour Freight blowout prices.
mwr
12/4/2018 2:39pm
Yes, in fact the price being right is the only remaining obstacle.
12/4/2018 2:41pm
Now that they aren't building bike then the big 5 will make the rules for the AMA. So who is to say they would even be illegal to race.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
12/4/2018 6:53pm
I would Love to Have one
But i couldnt at this time even if it was 50% off
zehn
12/4/2018 7:02pm
Hell yeah If I had $12k to spend on a bike!
newmann
12/4/2018 8:54pm
You never know, 45 years from now there may be that one guy who loves the Alta sooooo much that he took some time out of his life to create the components needed to get that thing back on track. I highly doubt that I'll be around then, so I'll go ahead and salute that man today...

R.EX
12/4/2018 8:59pm
newmann wrote:
You never know, 45 years from now there may be that one guy who loves the Alta sooooo much that he took some time out of...
You never know, 45 years from now there may be that one guy who loves the Alta sooooo much that he took some time out of his life to create the components needed to get that thing back on track. I highly doubt that I'll be around then, so I'll go ahead and salute that man today...

It won't take 45 years. If the company disappears for good, it will happen fast.

Post a reply to: Would you still buy an Alta?

The Latest