Would you share your bike

Edited Date/Time 3/14/2019 2:33pm
For a team race?
I’m racing a 6 hour endurance race at Glen Helen coming up. This race requires competing as teams of 3. The other two guys I’m riding with have an 04 CRF450R and KTM 380 SX. Both pretty roached bikes compared to my 18 FC350 which has a total of 10 hrs on it.

I want to race what I’m comfortable on but this thing is my prized possession. I’m only working part time while in school right now so I worry about something bad happening. Is a 6 hour gp gonna make my bike feel worn out or am I over analyzing it?
|
OUMX117
2/25/2019 6:09pm
Less than no chance of that happening for me. If I were doing that type of race the three of us would buy a bike, race the event, then sell the bike. Everything split 3 ways at every step of the process.
Natester551v
2/25/2019 6:10pm
Nope - unless you're a sponsored rider there's no way I'd do it. Especially when the other guys don't take care of their stuff (not saying that's the case here, but if their bikes are roached it probably indicates something along those lines).

Also depends on the other riders skill level, etc. A smooth, top level guy that isn't too hard on equipment is a lot different than a novice that crashes and bends stuff up...
jeffro503
2/25/2019 6:11pm
For a team race? I’m racing a 6 hour endurance race at Glen Helen coming up. This race requires competing as teams of 3. The other...
For a team race?
I’m racing a 6 hour endurance race at Glen Helen coming up. This race requires competing as teams of 3. The other two guys I’m riding with have an 04 CRF450R and KTM 380 SX. Both pretty roached bikes compared to my 18 FC350 which has a total of 10 hrs on it.

I want to race what I’m comfortable on but this thing is my prized possession. I’m only working part time while in school right now so I worry about something bad happening. Is a 6 hour gp gonna make my bike feel worn out or am I over analyzing it?
If I was in your shoe's ( or even mine for that matter ) NO , I would not. Ride / race your own bike. I'll let one of my good buddies take one of my bikes out for a practice session , as they would do the same for me. And I'm always easy on other's bikes ( not my bike to beat the shit out of ). Your buddies should be racing their own bikes. If they have that many hours on them anyways.......what's another 2 hours?

The Shop

WarrenMX
2/25/2019 6:15pm
Not a chance, not in that situation.

If I did, it wouldn't be to "top level guys". They will destroy your bike way faster than any novice could.
2/25/2019 6:15pm
jeffro503 wrote:
If I was in your shoe's ( or even mine for that matter ) NO , I would not. Ride / race your own bike. I'll...
If I was in your shoe's ( or even mine for that matter ) NO , I would not. Ride / race your own bike. I'll let one of my good buddies take one of my bikes out for a practice session , as they would do the same for me. And I'm always easy on other's bikes ( not my bike to beat the shit out of ). Your buddies should be racing their own bikes. If they have that many hours on them anyways.......what's another 2 hours?
I wish it were that simple that we could race our own bikes each. But the rules state that while one bike is on the track the other has to be in impound and getting it out of there combined with switching the transponder would cost a lot of time.
These guys aren’t willing to swap bikes so that leaves me in a predicament.
BikerScars
2/25/2019 6:16pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2019 6:17pm
You are working part time in school?

NEVER.
Absolutely not.

PS , your bike would be roached after a full SIX hour race.
2/25/2019 6:20pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2019 6:20pm
I offered up my yz125 for us to race on but they weren’t having it
Samuel
2/25/2019 6:28pm
They say no to you offering up your YZ? They sound entitled. No way I'd share.
Tbteam
2/25/2019 6:30pm
I'm sharing four very pristine vintage bikes with a guy to ride at Daytona for Vintage day. They're just bikes!
Forty
2/25/2019 6:35pm
Freshen up the 380 and then wear it out in the 6 hour.

dirtmike86
2/25/2019 6:36pm
I'd get some cash together with the other two and throw some new tires and a tune up at that Honda and run it.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
2/25/2019 6:36pm
I would raced one of the roached out bikes of your friends, if its about being comfortable on your bike don't race team events.
2/25/2019 6:38pm
I offered up my yz125 for us to race on but they weren’t having it
Ha! Wtf. Yea. Nope. Nope and nope. Tell them you’ll ride their bikes. See what they say!!
2/25/2019 6:39pm
dirtmike86 wrote:
I'd get some cash together with the other two and throw some new tires and a tune up at that Honda and run it.
The rear shock needs servicing bad. Hasn’t been rebuilt in like 10 years. He won’t put more money into it because his claim is he’s getting a new bike. That’s been his story for a while now Huh
2/25/2019 6:43pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2019 6:44pm
Yea that new bike he’s describing is actually your 350...for one race !!
bf884
2/25/2019 6:44pm
dirtmike86 wrote:
The rear shock needs servicing bad. Hasn’t been rebuilt in like 10 years. He won’t put more money into it because his claim is he’s getting...
The rear shock needs servicing bad. Hasn’t been rebuilt in like 10 years. He won’t put more money into it because his claim is he’s getting a new bike. That’s been his story for a while now Huh
Time to call in sick buddy
cwtoyota
2/25/2019 6:49pm
dirtmike86 wrote:
The rear shock needs servicing bad. Hasn’t been rebuilt in like 10 years. He won’t put more money into it because his claim is he’s getting...
Perfect, he won't feel bad if you guys destroy it when you ride it in your team race.

I have no problem letting my buds ride a short moto on my bikes. A long format race is a whole different deal.

A team race could be fun, but if I ever do one, It will have to be with a very select few of my racing buddies.
We'd have to pitch in equally and buy a used bike specifically for the task.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/25/2019 6:49pm
No way in hell I’d let my new bike be raced over old roached out bikes.
alexk417
2/25/2019 7:03pm
Are your buddies going to see this thread? lol

Have everyone toss a few bucks into the 380 and race that. Get some fresh tires, change the fluids, clean the air filter...maybe.
MohMoto14
2/25/2019 7:07pm
dirtmike86 wrote:
After your first post I thought maybe, depending on the circumstances. After your replies Im questioning whether this was a legitimate question. If it is I'd find new teammates and riding buddies, they sound like dicks.
slipdog
2/25/2019 7:07pm
Tbteam wrote:
I'm sharing four very pristine vintage bikes with a guy to ride at Daytona for Vintage day. They're just bikes!
Nailed it. It's a dirt bike ferChristsake...

I've loaned my bike out many times and ridden others. If you can't trust a friend to fix a radiator or subframe if they cartwheel it then you guys are not really friends. If you're super possessive(nothing wrong with that) then you shouldn't be considering a team race.
Kevin852
2/25/2019 7:21pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2019 7:32pm
Just leave a bike in impound. I have won the 40 expert class this way with my and a buddy racing our own bikes. You do a few laps on your bike and when your turn is over you ride into impound, jump on the other bike and then ride that to your pits where the next rider takes his own bike for his laps. It only takes like 30 seconds.

2/25/2019 7:48pm
I would think in a 6 hr race you would need to do an air filter change or two? That would take as long as switching the bikes from impound. Something not jiving with the unwillingness to race their own bikes. If i was to guess it has something to do with racing your cadillac instead of their impala.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1926th
2/25/2019 7:58pm
Nope.... I'd tell them the same thing I've told folks before; I won't loan you my bike, or my wife. I ride both of them, keep them in the best of environments I can provide, and love them dearly. And lastly, you are aren't man enough to handle either one. ALWAYS WORKS.
barnett468
2/25/2019 8:01pm
OUMX117 wrote:
Less than no chance of that happening for me. If I were doing that type of race the three of us would buy a bike, race...
Less than no chance of that happening for me. If I were doing that type of race the three of us would buy a bike, race the event, then sell the bike. Everything split 3 ways at every step of the process.
that's absolutely ludicrous.
2/25/2019 8:02pm
I would think in a 6 hr race you would need to do an air filter change or two? That would take as long as switching...
I would think in a 6 hr race you would need to do an air filter change or two? That would take as long as switching the bikes from impound. Something not jiving with the unwillingness to race their own bikes. If i was to guess it has something to do with racing your cadillac instead of their impala.
I should’ve made that clear, they have no issue with racing their own bike, they just are adamant on staying on one the whole race. I have no experience with this type of race, it’s all new to me. I will bring up some of these issues with them but I guess I should bend a little more too if they insist on racing one of their’s.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
609th
2/25/2019 8:07pm
go finance a brand new bike for the big gang bang
barnett468
2/25/2019 8:10pm
jeffro503 wrote:
If I was in your shoe's ( or even mine for that matter ) NO , I would not. Ride / race your own bike. I'll...
I wish it were that simple that we could race our own bikes each. But the rules state that while one bike is on the track...
I wish it were that simple that we could race our own bikes each. But the rules state that while one bike is on the track the other has to be in impound and getting it out of there combined with switching the transponder would cost a lot of time.
These guys aren’t willing to swap bikes so that leaves me in a predicament.
"I wish it were that simple that we could race our own bikes each. But the rules state that while one bike is on the track the other has to be in impound and getting it out of there combined with switching the transponder would cost a lot of time."

The time element is not relative unless you think you might actually place high enough to get a trophy and want that trophy really bad.

"These guys aren’t willing to swap bikes so that leaves me in a predicament."

Then either let them ride your bike and live wih the consequences which may be some scratches and maybe even a crash, or don't race.

Post a reply to: Would you share your bike

The Latest