Would you buy a cybertruck to haul your ride?

jasonward73
11/29/2019 6:46am
Amazing how many people give "thumbs down" on these electric posts. So many salty people stuck with an idea of outdated technology. The Teslas are running...
Amazing how many people give "thumbs down" on these electric posts. So many salty people stuck with an idea of outdated technology. The Teslas are running stock 11 second quarter mile times in a 7 seater configuration. This was a pipe dream even 10 years ago.

Yes the battery issues need to be addressed along with other issues encountered with any new developing technology but the blanket ignorant disapproval of electric motors is something I can't understand. The performance numbers on these machines are incredible.
This guy totally gets it. I feel exactly the same way. Especially since so many of these haters (it's usually Tesla that is referenced) are some of the same people that claim to be America First type people. Tesla is made in america and employs a shit ton of amercians. Elon could've built the car anywhere. He choose USA.

What are people afraid of?
jasonward73
11/29/2019 6:52am
dadofagun wrote:
I'll stick with my good old F150. Judging by the amount of them sold, looks like I'm not alone.......
You do realize the first Cybertruck has yet to roll off the assembly line right?

And they currently have over 250k reservations already made. Who knows how many ppl will actually proceed to an actual purchase but regardless it is an impressive stat.
jasonward73
11/29/2019 7:05am Edited Date/Time 11/29/2019 7:07am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
View this post on Instagram

ELECTRIC BOOGALOOS I would like to start of by saying electric cars and motorcycles can F*ck Off!. Ok now that we have that out of the way I can explain exactly why. First and foremost let’s talk about the Ohh so “planet friendly” Formula E racing series. Now at first glance you might think that this “clean” form of racing must be the way of the future, right?? Not so much. Let take a peek at what’s really going on. The very first indication this might be Bullshit is the 20 CAT Diesel generators in the pits running full throttle charging the batteries for these cars. Each car uses two 550 pound Lithium batteries per race. These batteries put out 250KW of power, and have a maximum output of 54KWH (kilowatt hours). On the high side the average U.S. home uses about 20KWH of power per day. One Formula E car, in one race uses four times that in 50 minutes. The recent Hong Kong race had 25 cars on the grid, using fifty 550lb Lithium batteries in 50 minutes. That’s a total of 2700 Kilowatt Hours. Or more than enough to power 10 homes for a month. That’s a lot of juice! Also the five power-plants in Hong Kong are powered by Diesel, Coal, and Gasoline. Whoopsie! Now let’s take a look at these newfangled Lithium batteries. The big companies hawking electric cars and motorcycles would love you to believe that Fossil fuel is so harmful, and electric power is so clean. It’s actually the opposite. We are swapping a carbon monoxide problem that is fixable and controllable. For a toxic Lithium mining that kills wild life, ruins the water table and destroys agriculture. The mining process uses a ton of water. A million gallons of water per 2 metric tons of lithium(Each Tesla has 12 kilos of Lithium). In some South American countries like Chile. Lithium mining uses almost 70% of the countries water supply. Also if you are naive enough to think that there isn’t a bunch of diesel powered machinery used in the process? Think again. These Lithium batteries also leave a toxic footprint on the way out. Contamination of landfills and seeping into the water table.........

A post shared by Jesse James (@popeofwelding) on Nov 24, 2019 at 8:23am PST

This has to be the most ignorant IG post ever. Using what is essentially a Formula 1 class of racing to make the argument for EVs is ridiculous.

That would be like me saying all trucks should be abolished because Trophy Trucks get about 3mpg.

I believe Formula E racing does the same for EVs as Formula 1 does for ICE cars. You push the envelope of what the vehicle can do and use that data to trickle down a tamer version to the production line. And bring awareness to your brand. Racing is marketing and R&D. Nobody is trying to save the world.

And drilling, pumping, transporting to refinery, refining, and then transporting to the gas station, and then eventually burning fossil fuel absolutely nets you more harm to the environment that a battery powered car. And does anyone really think drilling for fossil fuels does not kill wildlife, harm water tables, and harm agriculture? I swear some people just think someone puts a siphon into a hole in the ground and out comes 93 octane for their car.

And if carbon monoxide is fixable and controllable why haven't we fixed it and controlled it?

We can purify waste water for use already so the argument of using all that water (which I doubt is accurate) is not an issue.

The electric grid gets cleaner every day with more renewable energy going live while processing fossil fuel doesn't.

Just to let eveyone know, nobody with half a brain thinks the batteries are produced out of thin air with no by products. We know there are emissions. Nothing is perfect. However, over the life of a car EVs are definitely more environmentally friendly than the alternative and as each year passes the gap widens.
jasonward73
11/29/2019 7:16am
Yzf916 wrote:
The point still remains. E-vehicles competitive with ICE are still years away. Range, cost, recharge times are just not convenient or economical yet to satisfy the...
The point still remains. E-vehicles competitive with ICE are still years away. Range, cost, recharge times are just not convenient or economical yet to satisfy the average need of most drivers.
500 miles of range for a daily driver that has a full charge every morning when you wake up is not convenient or economical? Depending on where you live, electricity is about a 1/3 of the cost of gas so if you normally fill up for $30 you'll get the same miles for $10 of electric. How is that not economical?

The only person EVs don't work for are people that routinely haul a shit ton of stuff more than 100 miles or drive more than 200 miles a day.

There are about 2 dozen trucks in my neighborhood. I don't think I've seen a single one of them do more than haul about 10 bags of mulch ever.

Do I think this makes all ICE trucks obsolete? No, but to say it is not competitive is false. It is not competitive under certain parameters that are not typical of the majority of truck owners.

The Shop

bvm111
11/29/2019 10:51am
Not only no, but absafuckinglutely not!
crowe176
11/29/2019 11:24am
maybe they can throw some batteries in the bed to give this thing some range.
KHI Guy
11/29/2019 11:28am
Would I buy a Cybertruck to haul my ride? If you take the controversial appearance out of the equation (which is actually starting to grow on me), the answer is an “Absolutely I would!” And here is why:

I do not need to haul a trailer full of cattle or a 5th wheel camper half way across country. My needs are to haul a bike, load of 2”x4”s, some mulch, and the occasional mattress/bed springs kind of thing. There is a very large segment of truck owners with these same needs.

My daily round trip commute is roughly 100-150 miles a day. For comparison’s sake, my current truck is a GMC Sierra. Four wheel drive, four door, 5.3L Z-71 and towing package. It gets just over 20mpg in the summer and about 17mpg in the winter. At $2.50/gallon, my fuel price is between $250-$375/month. At my current electric rate, the equivalent mileage is about ¼ the price of gasoline, so $63-$94/month. I could come home, plug in, and have my range back in a few hours. Repeat the next day. When you factor in things like the technological updates that get pushed over the air, and that you will never get a door ding (my current vehicle looks like someone took a ball peen hammer up the sides from public parking), it becomes even more appealing. So for my personal needs and experiences, the Cybertruck is tailor made for what I need in a truck.

From a price standpoint, the Cybertruck falls right in line with the other manufactures. I don’t understand how people can look at it and think otherwise. When I bought my GMC, my “must haves” were 4x4, crew cab, and a bigger engine. It stickered at $49K, right where the comparable Cybertruck lands. If I were to go truck shopping today, I would be looking at something “nicer” since I am not a contractor with those particular needs. Anyone that has shopped a F-150 Platinum or a Raptor knows that you can get north of $70K really quickly, right up there with the Tri-Motor Cybertruck. Also, you can’t compare the lowest end Cybertruck to a 2WD, standard cab, 8’ bed “work truck”. That is not what it is intended to match up against.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
11/29/2019 1:30pm
This has to be the most ignorant IG post ever. Using what is essentially a Formula 1 class of racing to make the argument for EVs...
This has to be the most ignorant IG post ever. Using what is essentially a Formula 1 class of racing to make the argument for EVs is ridiculous.

That would be like me saying all trucks should be abolished because Trophy Trucks get about 3mpg.

I believe Formula E racing does the same for EVs as Formula 1 does for ICE cars. You push the envelope of what the vehicle can do and use that data to trickle down a tamer version to the production line. And bring awareness to your brand. Racing is marketing and R&D. Nobody is trying to save the world.

And drilling, pumping, transporting to refinery, refining, and then transporting to the gas station, and then eventually burning fossil fuel absolutely nets you more harm to the environment that a battery powered car. And does anyone really think drilling for fossil fuels does not kill wildlife, harm water tables, and harm agriculture? I swear some people just think someone puts a siphon into a hole in the ground and out comes 93 octane for their car.

And if carbon monoxide is fixable and controllable why haven't we fixed it and controlled it?

We can purify waste water for use already so the argument of using all that water (which I doubt is accurate) is not an issue.

The electric grid gets cleaner every day with more renewable energy going live while processing fossil fuel doesn't.

Just to let eveyone know, nobody with half a brain thinks the batteries are produced out of thin air with no by products. We know there are emissions. Nothing is perfect. However, over the life of a car EVs are definitely more environmentally friendly than the alternative and as each year passes the gap widens.
Let me add a different perspective. I'm an experienced chemical engineer in industry for +24 years, 5 patents (some on chemical molecules, some on processes), worked in various industrial industries as a chemical engineer (heavy and middle markets). I totally dig the performance perspective of what EVs bring to the table. I like the potential of electric for the MX industry, would love to have one myself. I think that type of performance is the way of the future and support it 100%, but there's no way to get there without the use of fossil fuels. Furthermore, EVs have many parts that are built off of hydrocarbon based materials (plastic parts, tires, hoses, etc.). Fossil fuels will always be needed to a certain degree - so they need to be sourced and processed as responsibly as possible. When one objectively looks at the cradle to grave process to build any EV, its not as "clean" as its made out to be by the marketing folks. There are many processes in the mfg process that result in legit issues to the environment. As for emissions from CE, there are legitimate emissions that come from combustion vehicles - specifically NOx and SOx. Those need to be minimized. Carbon monoxide is easily converted to CO2, which is an inert trace element gas that humans exhale in every breath to the tune of about 50,000 ppm. To think CO2 is a harm to the environment is scientifically laughable for about a dozen different scientific reasons. Legitimate scientists know this. If someone wants to make a point about NOx or SOx, then that's a legitimate point. Regardless of the technology, we should be as environmentally responsible as possible with respect to any technology and we should follow SOUND science, not propaganda designed to funnel money into the hands of a few very rich people. The biggest issue I have with Elon Musk and the main reason I wouldn't buy one of his vehicles is, the guy has become a Billionaire in his business before it ever made $0.01 of profit. Billionaire with a "B" without making profit - let that sink in. It's making profit now, but it didn't for a long time meanwhile he got rich. I have an issue with that. He's worked the government subsidy process to his favor and it has greatly benefited him personally, financially. I just don't agree with that, nor do I agree with govt subsidies for the oil and gas industry. Go out and compete on your own merit and make it happen, sink or swim.

I think people will come around to EVs in the future simply because of the performance, reduced maintenance, and vehicle longevity perspectives, for good reason. I wish the companies would drop the "environmental" angle (same for the solar market) as it immediately alienates ~50% of the population's interest, which isn't good for business development. We all need to be as environmentally responsible as possible - but not based on bullshit science with the intent of funneling money to a select class of elites. I still love the sound and feel of a well tuned combustion engine vehicle, but I look forward to what technology of the future brings. Just focus on making a better product/technology at a lower cost of ownership to market and business growth will follow (same applies to solar power companies). Simple as that.
jasonward73
11/29/2019 2:26pm
Quote feature isn't working so I'll do it manually....

there's no way to get there without the use of fossil fuels.

--> Is there really anyone that isn't a total tool bag claiming an entire car is built w no by product or use of any petroleum?? Come on.

Furthermore, EVs have many parts that are built off of hydrocarbon based materials (plastic parts, tires, hoses, etc.). Fossil fuels will always be needed to a certain degree - so they need to be sourced and processed as responsibly as possible

--> Yeah, it's a car. Built basically with similar parts as ICE cars except the part that actually burns fossil fuel. Again, only a complete tool thinks the entire car is made out of recycled coke bottles and hemp.

cradle to grave process to build any EV, its not as "clean" as its made out to be by the marketing folks

--> This is what I hear all the time as if it the car shouldn't be made unless it leaves zero footprint from start to finish. This is a ridiculous standard. I think the marketing could be clearer but even so I don't hear anyone trying to claim much beyond the actual "cleaner" aspect is from the fact it is NOT burning fossil fuels to go A to B.

Carbon monoxide is easily converted to CO2, which is an inert trace element gas that humans exhale in every breath to the tune of about 50,000 ppm. To think CO2 is a harm to the environment is scientifically laughable for about a dozen different scientific reasons. Legitimate scientists know this.

--> What humans exhale likely does no damage but just like anything in nature it is a delicate balance. I would think (and plenty of legit scientists agree) that adding the monumentally more CO2 from exhaust throws off the natural balance and this is what the issue is.

The biggest issue I have with Elon Musk and the main reason I wouldn't buy one of his vehicles is, the guy has become a Billionaire in his business before it ever made $0.01 of profit. Billionaire with a "B" without making profit - let that sink in.

--> Have you heard of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, or that small retailer Amazon... All those people became billionaires (or damn close to it) before turning a profit. It's not like he's cracked some rubicon and is tricking the system.

I have an issue with that. He's worked the government subsidy process to his favor and it has greatly benefited him personally, financially. I just don't agree with that, nor do I agree with govt subsidies for the oil and gas industry. Go out and compete on your own merit and make it happen, sink or swim.

The only subsidy he is taking advantage is the federal tax credit for buying an EV and that is for the end user, not him. And every single car manufacturer gets this. It is not unique to Tesla. He did get a loan, which he paid back ahead of schedule and with interest. Did you forget about the auto bailout? Almost all the other manufacturers got loans as well. Again, not soemething unique to Tesla. And I am not sure why you have an issue cause you use oil and gas all the time and you admit they get subsidies so why would you have an issue with any car manufacturer getting subsidy?

Having said all that I am happy to hear you're open to the idea but I can't get on board with your distrust of the science.
Rooster
11/29/2019 2:53pm
If the current Teslas are getting 500K miles out of their current batteries, then wait until they start using the sodium/glass versions that offer many times the current energy density, as well as faster charging, increased charge cycles without degradation and that are also far safer.

You may need the stainless bodies once the trucks start offering 2500 mile ranges and a battery life that could potentially allow a 250 million mile lifespan (2,500 miles X 100K charge cycles). If they're correct in saying that they can be recharged up to 100,000 times without significant degradation.

Batteries like this, connected to the grid and linked together. Could very well bring about a complete revolution in the design of our current energy distribution systems. With their ability to store excess wind and solar energy for later use and the wide geographic distribution of batteries helping to reduce the transmission losses, it could change everything.

You may one day power your home from your neighbor's car at night, while he offsets his electrical bill by providing both storage and supply to your local grid.
Yzf916
11/29/2019 4:45pm
Lolzzzz. I can’t figure out what’s funnier. That half of you are gullible enough to believe the “claimed” range figures. Or even funnier, that it will sell for that price. Send me your credit card numbers. I’ve got some hair growth and weight loss pills I’d like to sell you. And let’s hope “global warming” doesn’t cause a freeze like last year and you have to run your heaters in your E mobiles. That range may be cut by up to 1/3.
just James
11/30/2019 3:22am
Check out the Bollinger EV pickup. There is a video about it on YouTube. Now THAT is what Tesla should have built. The only thing I don't like about the Bollinger is the price. A very basic, tough, utilitarian pickup is what would interest me. The Bollinger looks great. The Tesla looks like a really bad joke.
As for electric vehicles in general, I think that they are great for the people who want them (and are willing to pay the FULL price for them). What I am 100% against is people who don't want them, being forced to subsidize their purchase price through taxes. I also don't like the idea of the government telling automobile manufacturers what they can/can't or should/shouldn't build. Let the free and open market decide.
tek14
11/30/2019 3:39am
just James wrote:
Check out the Bollinger EV pickup. There is a video about it on YouTube. Now THAT is what Tesla should have built. The only thing I...
Check out the Bollinger EV pickup. There is a video about it on YouTube. Now THAT is what Tesla should have built. The only thing I don't like about the Bollinger is the price. A very basic, tough, utilitarian pickup is what would interest me. The Bollinger looks great. The Tesla looks like a really bad joke.
As for electric vehicles in general, I think that they are great for the people who want them (and are willing to pay the FULL price for them). What I am 100% against is people who don't want them, being forced to subsidize their purchase price through taxes. I also don't like the idea of the government telling automobile manufacturers what they can/can't or should/shouldn't build. Let the free and open market decide.
Bollinger is 140000$ and Tesla 50000$ at same specs if im correct?
just James
11/30/2019 7:53am
just James wrote:
Check out the Bollinger EV pickup. There is a video about it on YouTube. Now THAT is what Tesla should have built. The only thing I...
tek14 wrote:
$125,000, I think. Still way out of my price range.
Neat rig though, and like I said, I think that this is the direction that Tesla should have gone. Then again, I am likely not one of Tesla's targeted consumers.
11/30/2019 9:36am Edited Date/Time 11/30/2019 9:58am
just James wrote:
tek14 wrote:
just James wrote:
$125,000, I think. Still way out of my price range. Neat rig though, and like I said, I think that this is the direction that Tesla...
Neat rig though, and like I said, I think that this is the direction that Tesla should have gone. Then again, I am likely not one of Tesla's targeted consumers.
Not very comparable on spec, though. Half the range. Half the power and half the tow rating. Smaller bed. Nearly twice the price. The only things that would likely lead one to a conclusion that it is "tougher" and "more utilitarian" is the more traditional styling and more traditional truck marketing. Although the lumber porthole feature is pretty cool.
just James
11/30/2019 5:30pm
tek14 wrote:
just James wrote:
$125,000, I think. Still way out of my price range. Neat rig though, and like I said, I think that this is the direction that Tesla...
Not very comparable on spec, though. Half the range. Half the power and half the tow rating. Smaller bed. Nearly twice the price. The only things...
Not very comparable on spec, though. Half the range. Half the power and half the tow rating. Smaller bed. Nearly twice the price. The only things that would likely lead one to a conclusion that it is "tougher" and "more utilitarian" is the more traditional styling and more traditional truck marketing. Although the lumber porthole feature is pretty cool.
Half the power? I thought the Bollinger is something like 614hp and 668 foot pounds of torque.
11/30/2019 5:52pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2019 11:05pm
just James wrote:
Not very comparable on spec, though. Half the range. Half the power and half the tow rating. Smaller bed. Nearly twice the price. The only things...
just James wrote:
Half the power? I thought the Bollinger is something like 614hp and 668 foot pounds of torque.
Cybertruck is supposed to come in around 800 hp and 1000 ft lbs of torque in three motor configuration.
BAMX
11/30/2019 7:49pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2019 7:58pm
These Tesla owners didn't seem amused. They were in the middle of the desert in a snow storm on Thanksgiving day waiting to charge their Teslas. I don't know how long they takes to charge but there were about 10 waiting and 5 on the chargers.
Alex.434
11/30/2019 9:08pm
Looks like the 35 people I see lined up for gas at every Costco I ever drive by.
jasonward73
12/2/2019 6:57am Edited Date/Time 12/2/2019 7:02am
Alex.434 wrote:
Looks like the 35 people I see lined up for gas at every Costco I ever drive by.
LOL... So true!!

And for those wondering the Supercharger network that Tesla has built out allows ocean to ocean and North/South border to border travel possible. It's primary design is to facilitate long distance travel. It is not designed for daily charging needs. The expectation is that you charge at home every night and never need to use a supercharger unless you're actually making a trip. The exception are the urban superchargers. These are for apartment dwellers, house renters, or just for people that don't have some way to install home charging.

The chargers are spaced roughly 100-150miles apart (exceptions would be densely populated areas) and to cover the most ground in the least amount of time you should plan to stop at each charger even if you could skip one. The batteries charge the absolute fastest from 20% to 80% capacity and the car sends you a push alert when it has sufficient charge to make the next supercharger. If you use the chargers correctly, you only spend 15-25mins charging for every 90-120mins of driving. Driving the car to 5% battery then charging back up to 90% would take you about 45-60mins. Going from 90% to 100% takes another 25mins or so. So, you need to lose the drive it to 5 miles to go mentality that you have with your ICE car.

For the life of me, I DO NOT understand why GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc... have not teamed up and built their own nationwide charging infrastructure. This is the biggest shortcoming in features for the EVs they build. With their resources, they could crush Tesla if they teamed up and did this. Teslas use a proprietary plug so no other EV can use the Tesla chargers. However, all other EVs use the same plug so this would be simple to do for them. It would inadvertently help Tesla cause they offer an adaptor so Tesla can use their superchargers as well as all other public chargers.
zehn
12/2/2019 2:46pm
Lol MC trolling hard
12/2/2019 3:05pm
Here is the issue with electric cars and why politicians are pushing for them. It makes you dependent on a monopolized local utility and on politicians who controls them.
zehn
12/2/2019 3:11pm
Just like your phone, water, trash, electric utilities etc.

FWIW oil companies that produce your gasoline essentially have a monopoly on the market so it's really not much different
12/2/2019 3:15pm Edited Date/Time 12/2/2019 3:18pm
Here is the issue with electric cars and why politicians are pushing for them. It makes you dependent on a monopolized local utility and on politicians...
Here is the issue with electric cars and why politicians are pushing for them. It makes you dependent on a monopolized local utility and on politicians who controls them.
?

It's much easier to generate your own electricity than your own non government-involved refined oil.

Hell, Tesla will sell you that option right along with your Cybertruck if you are that antsy about politicians.
12/2/2019 3:19pm
Here is the issue with electric cars and why politicians are pushing for them. It makes you dependent on a monopolized local utility and on politicians...
? It's much easier to generate your own electricity than your own non government-involved refined oil. Hell, Tesla will sell you that option right along with...
?

It's much easier to generate your own electricity than your own non government-involved refined oil.

Hell, Tesla will sell you that option right along with your Cybertruck if you are that antsy about politicians.
Unless you own a large enough fossil fuel generator, You can not generate enough electricity fast enough to quick charge a Tesla car.
12/2/2019 3:20pm
? It's much easier to generate your own electricity than your own non government-involved refined oil. Hell, Tesla will sell you that option right along with...
?

Unless you own a large enough fossil fuel generator, You can not generate enough electricity fast enough to quick charge a Tesla car.
You don't need to. They'll sell you storage as well
12/2/2019 3:23pm
?

Tesla battery? So you have to spend another 8 grand for a trickle charge. Yeah ok
12/2/2019 3:24pm Edited Date/Time 12/2/2019 3:31pm
Tesla battery? So you have to spend another 8 grand for a trickle charge. Yeah ok
Power wall is faster charging than supercharger. At any rate, your point was freedom from politicians, not price.

I was just stating that this is possibly an even more politician-free option than oil. All from the same vendor as the truck.

Post a reply to: Would you buy a cybertruck to haul your ride?

The Latest