Would you buy a NEW 2012 CR450r ?

Edited Date/Time 7/15/2018 5:26pm
I have a friend that has a friend that has a new 2012 crf450r only ridden once. would you guys buy it ? how did you like the 2012 hondas ? Reed seems to love them and Keefer said it was good also ?
its Around 4000$
i dont know if im stupid but its kind of tempting buy it.
|
Gandorlf
7/14/2018 1:10pm
Seems like a great idea now but 6 months from now after riding it a bunch will just be another 2012 crf450r, and you paid $4k for it. Just my opinion of course! If you like the bike and your gut says buy it, buy it!
cbuehler767
7/14/2018 1:12pm
Pretty sure that was a good yr. Hadnt they worked out the kinks of the complete redisign in 2009? Have you seen the bike how do you know it really has only been ridden one? That thing better be sparkling new
jeffro503
7/14/2018 1:13pm
Well the 2012 CRF450 was a pretty damn awesome bike. It was the only Honda I've ridden which I liked better then my 08' CRF450. In 13'......in my opinion , they went to shit.
cbuehler767
7/14/2018 1:14pm
Gandorlf wrote:
Seems like a great idea now but 6 months from now after riding it a bunch will just be another 2012 crf450r, and you paid $4k...
Seems like a great idea now but 6 months from now after riding it a bunch will just be another 2012 crf450r, and you paid $4k for it. Just my opinion of course! If you like the bike and your gut says buy it, buy it!
Good points

The Shop

Kdunkin
Fantasy
1507th
7/14/2018 1:22pm
Go $3500 and enjoy that mother F....... good bike for sure
7/14/2018 1:25pm
Gandorlf wrote:
Seems like a great idea now but 6 months from now after riding it a bunch will just be another 2012 crf450r, and you paid $4k...
haha that is actully true havent even think of that. but on the other hand i can get a new bike for 4k that has spring forks and is lighter then an 2018.
BR8ES
7/14/2018 1:37pm
Would you rather have 6k or so in your pocket and a "new" bike that will be more than capable or a brand new bike and as soon as you roll it out of the door, it loses a third of it's value? If this bike is as new as you say it is, then it would be hard to pass up. Especially knowing that it is a great bike.
Gandorlf
7/14/2018 1:47pm
Gandorlf wrote:
haha that is actully true havent even think of that. but on the other hand i can get a new bike for 4k that has spring...
haha that is actully true havent even think of that. but on the other hand i can get a new bike for 4k that has spring forks and is lighter then an 2018.
Exactly! You made a good point there, if you've got the cash I'd say go for it.
7/14/2018 1:52pm
BR8ES wrote:
Would you rather have 6k or so in your pocket and a "new" bike that will be more than capable or a brand new bike and...
Would you rather have 6k or so in your pocket and a "new" bike that will be more than capable or a brand new bike and as soon as you roll it out of the door, it loses a third of it's value? If this bike is as new as you say it is, then it would be hard to pass up. Especially knowing that it is a great bike.
yes thanks it it as new as its gets not even a scratch on it.
BR8ES
7/14/2018 2:01pm
BR8ES wrote:
Would you rather have 6k or so in your pocket and a "new" bike that will be more than capable or a brand new bike and...
yes thanks it it as new as its gets not even a scratch on it.
Pix when ya buy it! Sounds like a no brainer decision to me.
Mx746
7/14/2018 2:03pm Edited Date/Time 7/14/2018 2:10pm
If you dont mind the possibility of constant flame outs. I wouldnt ride it if it was free. Thats how much I distrust cr's of this era. Some people had no problems at all, others , including most magazine tests had at least some problem with flame outs.

From MXA
Every fuel-injected Honda CRF450 has been prone to flame-out. Flame-out is when roll you the throttle off to get slowed down and the engine goes “poof” and quits running. Flame-out was a major issue on the 2009–2012 CRFs, but has been less of an issue since then. If you have trouble with flame-out, and we have even seen Cole Seely’s works CRF450 suffer flame-out issues during the 2017 Supercross series, we suggest turning the idle up to help keep the engine percolating at low speeds
7/14/2018 2:03pm
It was one of the best looking CRFs and no air fork/ dual exhaust bull shit. It was a terrific bike once a few serious bugs were fixed and it is very sensitive to set up.. the ridiculous clutch and a few teaks to the suspension and it is one of the best. IMHO. $3500 would have been a good deal.
7/14/2018 2:05pm
Mx746 wrote:
If you dont mind the possibility of constant flame outs. I wouldnt ride it if it was free. Thats how much I distrust cr's of this...
If you dont mind the possibility of constant flame outs. I wouldnt ride it if it was free. Thats how much I distrust cr's of this era. Some people had no problems at all, others , including most magazine tests had at least some problem with flame outs.

From MXA
Every fuel-injected Honda CRF450 has been prone to flame-out. Flame-out is when roll you the throttle off to get slowed down and the engine goes “poof” and quits running. Flame-out was a major issue on the 2009–2012 CRFs, but has been less of an issue since then. If you have trouble with flame-out, and we have even seen Cole Seely’s works CRF450 suffer flame-out issues during the 2017 Supercross series, we suggest turning the idle up to help keep the engine percolating at low speeds
Ah yes.. flame outs.. that required some tweaks, also including stiffening the decompression spring thingamabob on the camshaft.
Mx746
7/14/2018 2:12pm
Mx746 wrote:
If you dont mind the possibility of constant flame outs. I wouldnt ride it if it was free. Thats how much I distrust cr's of this...

From MXA
Ah yes.. flame outs.. that required some tweaks, also including stiffening the decompression spring thingamabob on the camshaft.
Actually the spring was a little too stiff, activating the decomp too soon, reducing tension on the spring allowed for a little more chug before the poof, but you had to get it to where it almost didn't lift the weight. It helped a little with chug stalling, but not flame outs.
hubbardmx50
7/14/2018 2:15pm
Just sold my 2011 CRF450r back in October before upgrading to a new 2017. Those bikes had awesome suspension, the KYB spring forks were great once I got them sprung for me (190lbs Int. rider at the time). Only things I can say I did not like about that bike was straight-line stability in high-speed straights and the stock mapping. I had Rick at Too Tech Racing do suspension and mapping on that bike and after it worked great for the next five years; even my dad rode the hell out of it after I moved to a 2015 model. If you just ride for fun I'm sure none of that will seriously bother you though. Hope this helped and was not too confusing.

Just read MXA race test from that bike and apparently, they fixed quite a few things in 2012, including updating the mapping and going to stiffer springs.
JBecker 72
7/14/2018 2:22pm
$4k for a new FI 450 seems like a good deal to me. I see high hour 450s that are 5 years old still going for $3500 all the time around here.
7/14/2018 2:38pm Edited Date/Time 7/14/2018 2:39pm
Mx746 wrote:

From MXA
Mx746 wrote:
Actually the spring was a little too stiff, activating the decomp too soon, reducing tension on the spring allowed for a little more chug before the...
Actually the spring was a little too stiff, activating the decomp too soon, reducing tension on the spring allowed for a little more chug before the poof, but you had to get it to where it almost didn't lift the weight. It helped a little with chug stalling, but not flame outs.
It has been a while since I made the mods.. I thought I stiffened, but you are probably right. The 3 best things that helped the flame outs were going to VP T4 race fuel, insulating the fuel tank from heat, and keeping the idle speed at 1850+.

Mapping did little to improve. The throttle body mods may have improved a bit but not much.. not the way the above 3 mods did. It will still flame out on occasion but not the dangerous situation it was stock.. cranking the throttle in a slow corner just before a double could kill the engine just as you are going up the ramp.

The 2012 model improved some of the problems but didn't fix them, in my opinion. Once all the caveats are properly addressed, it is a great engine, suspension and handling.

The Honda race team had some of their best rides on this bike.. Reed, Canard, Windham.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1926th
7/14/2018 3:31pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Well the 2012 CRF450 was a pretty damn awesome bike. It was the only Honda I've ridden which I liked better then my 08' CRF450. In...
Well the 2012 CRF450 was a pretty damn awesome bike. It was the only Honda I've ridden which I liked better then my 08' CRF450. In 13'......in my opinion , they went to shit.
What he said...... Buy it, enjoy.
jtiger12
7/14/2018 5:00pm
I'd rather buy a 2004 crf450 than a 2012 crf450
reded
7/14/2018 5:25pm
I'd offer up $3700, have it re-mapped and do what you need to do suspension wise. You'll have a great bike for thousands less than a current model and never know the diff.
H4L
7/14/2018 5:44pm
I'd buy it in a heart beat if it was in my area. The 09-12 models were severely underrated bikes. Get a remap, Yosh exhaust, suspension work & It is one of the best 450 mx bikes made. Preferred them over my 05-08 carbed models..

The best 450 ridden to date was a 2011 CRF450r model from a local a few yrs. back that had FC suspension work, Yosh stage 3 engine package (aprox. 62 hp) & a votex ecu..
walent215
7/14/2018 8:43pm
hear a lot of negative about the 13-14s also but my buddies 14 is one of the better 450s I've rode. of course it had rekluse torq drive, vortex, fmf duals, revalved suspension. and yes the air forks worked great. loved that bike! the rekluse made such a huge difference
Taylor415
7/14/2018 10:47pm
Hell no, not for 4K. That money will get you a newer better bike.
JM485
7/14/2018 11:05pm
I know everyone here is a factory test rider but some of the stupid little things I see people get all worked up over is pretty laughable. I've never gotten on a bike I couldn't adapt to pretty damn quickly, so to me for that price I'd say go for it. Bikes really haven't improved as massively over the years as you would think reading magazine tests, I have a feeling you'd be the same speed on that as on a bike a few years newer. Not to mention if you're just riding for fun who cares, pick it up and have some fun on a new bike for cheap.
7/14/2018 11:17pm
The thing about buying a new bike is exactly that, it's new. Nice and tight like a factory bike. Not flogged out and sloppy like your old steed. You might be able to buy slightly newer model for same price but it's going to be worn and require $$$ and wont make you any better. I would ignore the few people with the bad experiences as you'd probably find their bad experience is due to a badly set up motorcycle. A few clicks wrong can turn the best bike in the world into a turd. The bugs they have are well documented and easily fixed. Get a Vortex with map switch or just a remap for starters. Your not racing the nationals so just enjoy a fresh bike for what it is for a whole lot less.
Moto520
7/15/2018 7:35am
Fuck yeah i would. That was an awesome bike and i dont care what anyone else thinks. I think the manufacturers don’t always make the bikes better by fiddling with them. That was a great bike for certain types of tracks. I had one and loved it.
7/15/2018 8:35am
If you ask me those crf's are still one of the best looking bikes out there. They're definitely good bikes but as someone else already said, the straight line stability can sometimes be an issue. (I ride a crf250 '10) sometimes that can be pretty dangerous if you're riding at a high speed right before a corner and you hit some braking bumps and your steer starts swapping. I read that putting another link on it fixes the problem.
Moto520
7/15/2018 8:58am
My favorite 250f of all time is my 2013 crf250 (same chassis.....works a little better on the 250f). I had a 270 kit put on it and the motor has been heavily modified for the vet classes. Works phenominal on stadium type, tight tracks, night/ fair race tracks.
H4L
7/15/2018 9:09am
If you ask me those crf's are still one of the best looking bikes out there. They're definitely good bikes but as someone else already said...
If you ask me those crf's are still one of the best looking bikes out there. They're definitely good bikes but as someone else already said, the straight line stability can sometimes be an issue. (I ride a crf250 '10) sometimes that can be pretty dangerous if you're riding at a high speed right before a corner and you hit some braking bumps and your steer starts swapping. I read that putting another link on it fixes the problem.
I talked to a couple of suspension tuners who had done the R&D on these models back then about aftermarket links. Was informed that the links can be used for tuning & not necessary if the suspension was set up correctly. An 09 I had was set up by MDK locally at the time when they were still in business. Also had a 10 that was set up by FC with both bikes having stock links & were a couple of the best handling / steering bikes owned.
The key to having these bike handle better is in the suspension set up by a reputable shop who has done the R&D.

Post a reply to: Would you buy a NEW 2012 CR450r ?

The Latest