Would like to see a rule change from the AMA

FuzzyLogic
5/21/2019 8:35am
It may not happen this year, next year, or in the next 5 but someone will end up having serious eye damage after ditching goggles and then the rule will change. Everyone will be yelling that the GP's did this years ago.. why didn't we follow suit!? The sport mandates protective equipment for other areas of the body less critical than your eyes, why allow this one to be optional?

On the flip side I (and it seems like lots of others in the thread) are typically of the belief that guys should be able to make their own determination of how much they want to protect their own body or not and let them deal with the consequences. I think the answer to that is that the adults running the series are not going to allow you to be careless about your own health, to the extent that they can control it, in the series they sanction.
JustMX
5/21/2019 8:54am
No one is talking about amateurs here, dude
Um,

The op just happens to mention them in the first paragraph.

It is at the top of page 1 if you need help finding it.
FWYT
5/21/2019 9:16am
I generally toss my helmet after a lap because I get too fugging hot. Not to mention I look FAR better
with my fabulous coif that would make Vinnie Barbarino jealous.
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
5/21/2019 9:31am
I think it's a good idea, and riders won't have a problem with it as long as it's fair. Riders go without goggles now because if they pull in to get a replacement, and their competitors don't, they're losing time.
Figure out how to make it fair and try it for a season.

Losing an eye is a huge deal, and it can be worse.

How is it working out in MXGP?

The Shop

zippytech
5/21/2019 9:34am
Why do you care if they toss the goggles? People have been racing for decades tossing goggles. There have been plenty of powerful motocross bikes.

For me it's the riders problem, I choose to wear lots of protective gear. Some choose very little or cheap equipment. That's up to them.
ccullins
5/21/2019 9:54am
Have you guys raced a serious rain/mud race? No matter how good your goggle system is, it’s not going to last if the race runs a decent amount of time. It’s the riders choice, let them make it and keep racing. The last thing we need is more rules.

duckdog77
5/21/2019 10:11am
mac3-d wrote:
Ha my dad would signal to slow me down with mum right beside him waving me on Laughing
This is great!

My mom never came to the races. Parents were divorced. Mom said dad was trying to kill us boys so he didn’t have to pay child support any more! ???

My wife is pregnant with our first. It’s a boy hopefully his mom is standing track side waving him on some day....goggles or no goggles!
Johnny Ringo
5/21/2019 5:04pm
I like how whenever a rider gets hurt there are 10 threads on how to make the sport safer. As soon as someone has an idea that will actually make the sport safer everyone gives him the tough guy act
Johnny Ringo
5/21/2019 5:37pm
No one is talking about amateurs here, dude
JustMX wrote:
Um,

The op just happens to mention them in the first paragraph.

It is at the top of page 1 if you need help finding it.
Him mentioning AMA making a rule change sounded more like a Pro thing. But sure, you got me
davis224
Fantasy
138th
5/21/2019 5:37pm
To all the people saying, "what's more dangerous?", the rule wouldn't be you can't toss your goggles, it would be that if you toss your goggles, you have to pull into the goggle lane to get new ones next time around. Minimal time loss, and everyone has to do it if they ditch their goggles, so the "dangling carrot" of riding the rest of the race without eye protection is removed. I don't get what the fuss is about. It's not like they're talking about creating a new government agency like some of you are making it out to be.
dimetime
5/21/2019 5:43pm
So your genius idea is to punish riders who's googles get muddy? Yeah you are super duper smart. Gee whiz l know that all moto guys will gladly accept a ten position punishment for literally doing nothing but riding in the mud. So you're telling me you'd voluntarily fuck your race to pull in for googles? Good for you but l haven't and wouldn't and it ain't your job to force me.

Actually odds are as soon as you enact this idiotic rule you'll now have guys refusing to ditch their googles and continue to ride blind so not to lose a shit ton of positions. It's called the law of unintended consequences. Ever heard of it? Happens a lot. You will actually make people less safe with your incessant nannyism.

And to the simpletons attempting to analogize helmets to googles. I pity your family, friends and coworkers.
Thor34103
5/22/2019 10:14pm Edited Date/Time 5/22/2019 10:18pm
dimetime wrote:
So your genius idea is to punish riders who's googles get muddy? Yeah you are super duper smart. Gee whiz l know that all moto guys...
So your genius idea is to punish riders who's googles get muddy? Yeah you are super duper smart. Gee whiz l know that all moto guys will gladly accept a ten position punishment for literally doing nothing but riding in the mud. So you're telling me you'd voluntarily fuck your race to pull in for googles? Good for you but l haven't and wouldn't and it ain't your job to force me.

Actually odds are as soon as you enact this idiotic rule you'll now have guys refusing to ditch their googles and continue to ride blind so not to lose a shit ton of positions. It's called the law of unintended consequences. Ever heard of it? Happens a lot. You will actually make people less safe with your incessant nannyism.

And to the simpletons attempting to analogize helmets to googles. I pity your family, friends and coworkers.
I completely agree about the incessant nannyism. Besides we have two eyes so what is the big deal about being blinded in one of them anyway. Huh

No one is being forced to do anything as the Goggle Lane is voluntary so no need to jump to conclusions. I think it is positive the FIM put the Goggle Lane in place to test drive it in 2019. It may be mandatory next year but let's wait until the end of the season for rider feedback.

Mandatory visits to the Goggle Lane during mud races I could see as being an option.
Thor34103
5/22/2019 10:25pm Edited Date/Time 5/22/2019 10:31pm
davis224 wrote:
To all the people saying, "what's more dangerous?", the rule wouldn't be you can't toss your goggles, it would be that if you toss your goggles...
To all the people saying, "what's more dangerous?", the rule wouldn't be you can't toss your goggles, it would be that if you toss your goggles, you have to pull into the goggle lane to get new ones next time around. Minimal time loss, and everyone has to do it if they ditch their goggles, so the "dangling carrot" of riding the rest of the race without eye protection is removed. I don't get what the fuss is about. It's not like they're talking about creating a new government agency like some of you are making it out to be.
Glad someone actually knows the details. Funny some of the people fussing have incomplete information. Didn't stop them from saying how wrong the new rule (that doesn't exist) is.
Chains
5/22/2019 11:32pm
More pussification of the sport.
KDXGarage
5/23/2019 11:48am
If a rule is made to require riders that ditched their goggles to come in for new ones, then they would surely resist ditching them.

What can they do, mandatory once per moto minimum pit stop rule for select motos??
byke
5/23/2019 11:52am
Dirt bikes should be mounted to rails like a slot car track and riders can be in a harness inside an enclosed box and the winner is determined by who puts in the most quarters the fastest.

Post a reply to: Would like to see a rule change from the AMA

The Latest