Would like to see a rule change from the AMA

Related:
Create New Tag

5/20/2019 4:02 PM

I have always struggled wrapping my head around why anyone who races (amateur or professionally) is willing to ditch their goggles mid Moto and keep racing. What's even more complexing is that the sanctioning bodies allow it.

The AMA rule book clearly states goggles must be worn to start the race, but can be discarded during competition without penalty or disqualification. WTF....

It just seems increasingly probable that sooner or later someone is going to have a massive eye injury, possibly loss of sight, and then everyone is going lose their minds because the AMA was allowing them to race while mud, rocks, etc, are being blasted into their faces from roost.

Why would the AMA not mandate that if a rider ditches their goggles, they must stop in the pits to get a new pair before proceeding? If they continue to circulate w/o goggles, black flag their asses.

|

5/20/2019 4:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/20/2019 4:04 PM

No one forces a rider to ditch their goggles. If a guy does it, he knows the risk. If he wants he can pull in for a new set. A new rule is not needed.

|

5/20/2019 4:11 PM

What about privateers who only have one set? It would force them to keep them on with poor vision, an even larger hazard. The rider knows the risk when they take them off. The rule is fine.

|

5/20/2019 4:11 PM

I see your point but people been tossing goggles since the beginning of goggles. Let em race it’s their eyes. It’s moto it’s supposed to be dangerous and you def can lose an eye if you toss your goggles. Could lose a lot of other shit too quick if you aren’t careful. I’m sure they know that whistling laughing laughing

|

5/20/2019 4:15 PM

Casting wrote:

No one forces a rider to ditch their goggles. If a guy does it, he knows the risk. If he wants he can pull in for a new set. A new rule is not needed.

Do you think the muddy conditions like Hangtown 2nd motos exceed the capabilities of the goggle & tearoff/roll-off system?

How can you say it's not an issue when there is consistently a notable percentage of the field finishing mud races without goggles?

|

5/20/2019 4:24 PM

Serious question.

If a rider goes down and gets a face full of mud in their helmet/goggle, could they remove their helmet (their choice) and continue to race?

I feel like the rules should be consistent for all protective gear wassat

|

5/20/2019 4:29 PM

It becomes dangerous to keep there goggles on and have no vision.

And name one privateer who races the AMA circuit who only has 1 pair of goggles... that's a piss poor excuse to bring a privateer into this.

|

5/20/2019 4:35 PM

BroFoSho wrote:

Serious question.

If a rider goes down and gets a face full of mud in their helmet/goggle, could they remove their helmet (their choice) and continue to race?

Who in their right mind would try and complete a moto , without a helmet? I've never seen anyone ditch a helmet before.....but goggle's? Yes of course people ditch them. When they quit functioning properly are are basically worthless , the rider then makes a choice to either toss them , or ride blind. Which would you do? I know I'd toss them if I couldn't see. People have been doing that since this sport started. I don't think I have ever heard of a dude tossing his helmet. You damaged your helmet......you got other problem's going on.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

5/20/2019 4:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/20/2019 4:43 PM

I'm pretty sure they started a rule this year in the GP's that a rider has to pit within 2 laps to get goggles if they toss theirs. I could be wrong, but I could've sworn I heard or read it somewhere. I could see a rule like that being past in AMA racing.

|

5/20/2019 4:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/20/2019 4:52 PM

TDeath21 wrote:

What about privateers who only have one set? It would force them to keep them on with poor vision, an even larger hazard. The rider knows the risk when they take them off. The rule is fine.

Do we really think privateers only have one pair of goggles?

Eye injuries are no joke

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

5/20/2019 5:10 PM

Csb146 wrote:

I'm pretty sure they started a rule this year in the GP's that a rider has to pit within 2 laps to get goggles if they toss theirs. I could be wrong, but I could've sworn I heard or read it somewhere. I could see a rule like that being past in AMA racing.

https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Goggle-Lane-in-MXGP-From-Racerhead,1358368

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

5/20/2019 5:10 PM

TDeath21 wrote:

Cmon bro no privateers racing only has 1 set. Any given member here has at least 3 in a bag and another 3 lost in their truck under a seat

|

5/20/2019 5:14 PM

TDeath21 wrote:

w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t
|

Ed Johnson

5/20/2019 5:27 PM

They don't care and I agree.
The rule should be come in next available lap.

Whats funny is in other sports, the refs jobs, and race control(For like Indy car) is to ensure safety and fair play.

Last year at an Indy race a guys face shield came loose on one side when he flipped it up during a yellow flag. Race control saw it and radioed driver and pits to come in next lap. Race control steward was there to make sure he was fixed up properly before letting him out of the pits.

|

5/20/2019 5:36 PM

mxtech1 wrote:

I have always struggled wrapping my head around why anyone who races (amateur or professionally) is willing to ditch their goggles mid Moto and keep racing. What's even more complexing is that the sanctioning bodies allow it.

The AMA rule book clearly states goggles must be worn to start the race, but can be discarded during competition without penalty or disqualification. WTF....

It just seems increasingly probable that sooner or later someone is going to have a massive eye injury, possibly loss of sight, and then everyone is going lose their minds because the AMA was allowing them to race while mud, rocks, etc, are being blasted into their faces from roost.

Why would the AMA not mandate that if a rider ditches their goggles, they must stop in the pits to get a new pair before proceeding? If they continue to circulate w/o goggles, black flag their asses.

Everyone should also have to bring their mother with them to scold them if they go too fast.
Can't too safe, ya know.

|

5/20/2019 5:45 PM

The rider could potentially be at more risk if he has goggles on and can't see clearly because they're all muffed up

|

5/20/2019 5:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/20/2019 5:49 PM

I'm no pro, and I hardly race anymore, but I have at least 4 pairs of goggles ready at any moment. So yeah, nobody is racing pro with just 1 pair of goggles.

What are the rules on stopping for a new, fresh pair with tearoffs/rolloffs? I'd imagine that ~5 second pit stop wouldn't hurt if everyone's doing it and if lap times are already skewed by mud.

|

2001 RM125
2016 RMz450

5/20/2019 5:58 PM

mxtech1 wrote:

just James wrote:

Everyone should also have to bring their mother with them to scold them if they go too fast.
Can't too safe, ya know.

Ah, I found one of the tough guys

|

5/20/2019 6:09 PM

Yeah, pass a new rule.

Rules and laws fix any problem.

Common sense dictates that you not ride without goggles.

However there are circumstances, an example would be doing a faceplate that leaves your goggles completely useless. Now you have to ride around to get a new pair while you can't see anything and are a hazard to yourself and everybody else out there.

Sure you can give them a lap or two to get a pair, but for amateur racing who the hell is going to keep up with it. Promoters and staff usually have their hands full scoring and dealing with other issues that come up if conditions are bad enough that riders,are tossing goggles..

Let's just do like they have done in new jersey for years. They have a state law requiring goggles with state police trackside monitoring it and pulling riders off if they don't see goggles.

The riders solution was to drill holes in their goggle lens and loop a zip tie through. If it got to the point that they couldn't see anymore they would use the zip tie to jerk the lens out. The troopers wouldn't bother them as long as they saw a goggle strap.

|

5/20/2019 6:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/20/2019 6:16 PM

On a mudder I try to prepare with tear offs and also have pit tootsie standing trackside with a back up set in case the shit gets hairy. Worst case scenario to ride without. only happened once in 48 years. Washougal of course.

|

5/20/2019 6:12 PM

JustMX wrote:

Yeah, pass a new rule.

Rules and laws fix any problem.

Common sense dictates that you not ride without goggles.

However there are circumstances, an example would be doing a faceplate that leaves your goggles completely useless. Now you have to ride around to get a new pair while you can't see anything and are a hazard to yourself and everybody else out there.

Sure you can give them a lap or two to get a pair, but for amateur racing who the hell is going to keep up with it. Promoters and staff usually have their hands full scoring and dealing with other issues that come up if conditions are bad enough that riders,are tossing goggles..

Let's just do like they have done in new jersey for years. They have a state law requiring goggles with state police trackside monitoring it and pulling riders off if they don't see goggles.

The riders solution was to drill holes in their goggle lens and loop a zip tie through. If it got to the point that they couldn't see anymore they would use the zip tie to jerk the lens out. The troopers wouldn't bother them as long as they saw a goggle strap.

No one is talking about amateurs here, dude

|

5/20/2019 6:27 PM

mxtech1 wrote:

Everyone will not lose their mind. You might lose your mind but most people will understand that the rider made that decision and will deal with the consequences.

|

5/20/2019 6:27 PM

I didn't see the thread about the goggle lane being implemented in MXGP before I posted.....but yeah, that's about what I had in mind.

My point was made - with it being implemented in MXGP, our National Series will have to follow suite.

Anything in the works Coombs?

|

5/20/2019 6:33 PM

spimx wrote:

Everyone will not lose their mind. You might lose your mind but most people will understand that the rider made that decision and will deal with the consequences.

Exactly. And we, collectively, understand that it's a big risk. Racers are conditioned to accept the fact that they will be expected to remove goggles (which is safety gear if you want to be blunt about it) to compete.

Why not try something new that helps increase their safety when needed?

|

5/20/2019 6:50 PM

They should make a new rule that it’s not legal to get hurt. That would solve the injury issue we have been having in SX.

|

5/20/2019 7:47 PM

just invent helmets with windscreens and wipers built in bro

|

5/20/2019 7:49 PM

All you guys against it, should the riders be able to ditch their helmet when they break a visor and it’s hanging in their face?

|

5/20/2019 8:21 PM

Csb146 wrote:

The GP's have a Goggle lane - A quick stop to get new goggles that is faster than going through the pits !

|

5/20/2019 9:09 PM

BroFoSho wrote:

Serious question.

jeffro503 wrote:

Who in their right mind would try and complete a moto , without a helmet? I've never seen anyone ditch a helmet before.....but goggle's? Yes of course people ditch them. When they quit functioning properly are are basically worthless , the rider then makes a choice to either toss them , or ride blind. Which would you do? I know I'd toss them if I couldn't see. People have been doing that since this sport started. I don't think I have ever heard of a dude tossing his helmet. You damaged your helmet......you got other problem's going on.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Tedesco-Last-Lap-No-Helmet,1273175

|

5/21/2019 8:05 AM

I dont Disagree if they make the choice to ditch them , that they grab a pair from their mechanic or crew the next time they get there, it became a rule and became the norm everyone would adapt and get used to it and avoid a bad Rock to the Eye like op is talking about , which i dont recall happening but definitely could, the bikes have more power than ever before,if the Rider makes the choice and loses a position or 2 in the process of getting a new pair so be it.

|