Would Vet riders still be riding MX if?

PFitzG38
7/15/2017 4:19pm
TogaSet wrote:
There would be less vet riders because of the increased danger factor and skill it takes to ride a 250 two-stroke half way decent.
Agree about the skill not sure about the danger
captmoto
7/15/2017 4:50pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2017 4:58pm
TogaSet wrote:
There would be less vet riders because of the increased danger factor and skill it takes to ride a 250 two-stroke half way decent.
PFitzG38 wrote:
Agree about the skill not sure about the danger
That's some statement there Toga. There were plenty of 30+ and 40+ riders back in the day. They liked their Maico 490s a lot. Why? They had smooth almost 4 stroke power but they didn't have great brakes. Why would a newer 2t be more dangerous with better brakes? And there were riders that were better than halfway decent. Later it was CR and KX 500's. I just got off a CR250 for a Husky 450 I have no regrets and don't miss my 250. Expensive to maintain? We'll see but if I couldn't afford it I would be playing golf where almost nothing breaks. If you ever rode a properly built 250 you would see that most tuners were looking for smooth long power. Sounds like a four stroke doesn't it? I rode a friends PC built CR250 way back when. I thought it was slow until I came up to a corner and realized I pulled a straight in one gear that I used to shift up on on my RM250. I got the same sensation the first time I rode a 99 YZ400. The purpose is to go as fast as you are comfortable without beating yourself up.
BTW my first race was in 1978 and I have a pretty nice YZ465. Different tools for different purposes and different strokes for different folks.
xr70
7/15/2017 5:22pm
I am 57 and I really love the fourstroke , I think I am faster and go bigger now that I was I my 30s as a vet ex on two stroke !

jeffro503
7/15/2017 6:15pm
SwingHard wrote:
That is a sweet machine Jeffro! Sounds like your in the PNW? I'll be in Oregon in August. We should get together and spin some laps...
That is a sweet machine Jeffro! Sounds like your in the PNW? I'll be in Oregon in August. We should get together and spin some laps! You can try out my 350!

For sure man! Hit me up before you come up this way. Plenty of 2 stroke guys up here. Doesn't matter what you ride , as long as you're having fun doing it.

Side note : The Scalvini / FMF combo was a really good choice. I'm dropping 1 tooth in the rear for a little more top speed in 3rd and 4th. I feel in many spots on the tracks up here I just have it wound to the hilt , and if I click up it won't pull it. If I could just get that tad bit more top end out of her in certain gears , it'll be about perfect.

The Shop

jeffro503
7/15/2017 6:17pm
OH!....And thank you for the compliment. I'm pretty much digging yours as well! Gotta love them Husky's!
7/15/2017 8:32pm
I've been reading your comments since my initial comments, and I have to say some of you are making a strong case. I'm starting to change...
I've been reading your comments since my initial comments, and I have to say some of you are making a strong case. I'm starting to change my mind.

Oh, I will still get the KTM 150 smoker, but I am seeing what you mean about the 4 strokes and the vets. They are easier to ride, so it does make sense.
PFitzG38 wrote:
Thats what I thought when I first rode one, easier to ride; and for me it was, at least after getting them started. that was a...
Thats what I thought when I first rode one, easier to ride; and for me it was, at least after getting them started. that was a whole nother thing. part of the allure for me was the sense of pride you felt after doing a top end job and going out and pulling a holie on it. Anyone can rebuild a 2 stroke, you don't even need a feeler gauge! What fun is that?
I almost like working on my bikes as much and I like riding them. I came from a one parent family and had to do my own work if i wanted to ride. Jeff Wards dad Jack and Harry from Harry Cycle Sales walked me through my first XR75 rebuild over the phone. I wasn't pulling any holeshots on that since the YZ80's had just dethroned the XR as the bike to have in the minis - but I learned about cams, valve lash, TDC and how to time points.
Harry Cycle Sales. I like the sound of that - has a familiar ring.
rbigair40
7/16/2017 5:39pm
I would.. I have been on 4 strokes since 1991.. DR350 sparks BB kit.. switched back and fourth , I race 2 stroke at LL last yr and am back on 4 stroke and 2 stroke this yr down there.. 45 and 50 plus ...riding 490 maico in 45 and 2016 450 ktm in 50 plus..

Post a reply to: Would Vet riders still be riding MX if?

The Latest