Would AJ's ride made a difference on Alta's outcome if 2 years ago?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/18/2020 2:59 PM

I just saw AJ Catanzaro's clip on youtube when he tests a Alta MXR. Sound as he is super impressed and I must say he looks good on it. Even if I love 2-strokes and would hate seeing them go, I guess electric is the future. Maybe not in the next 10 years or so but still. I wont mind shredding a smaller SX style track on one. When I saw this and got inspired, it had me wonder, if this clip and other similar that makes us wanna have one, would it have changed the outcome for Alta?
Or is it just me and there are hundreds of films like this already?
I like AJ, check out the film here;

|

Amateur MX'er from Sweden. Currently I have a 2017 Yamaha YZ250, 1995 Honda CR500R, 1996 Honda CR250R, 1992 Honda CR250R and a 1989 Honda CR250R. I race the European EVO Championship, promote local MX races in Southern Sweden and run MXestore Europe (www.mxestore.com)

10/18/2020 3:27 PM

If Alta would have not gotten involved with hd they’d likely be around still.

|

10/18/2020 3:51 PM

I’m bummed, I was a huge fan of the company and the whole electric movement. This company did an incredible job at producing a motorcycle so competitive straight away. Hill on it at straight rhythm was soooo cool!

|

10/18/2020 3:52 PM

They were a little pricey also.

|

10/18/2020 3:56 PM

The HD thing, and being located where they were made the price way higher than anywhere else.

|

10/18/2020 4:03 PM

I'm honestly excited about electric bikes only because we've had so many local tracks close because of noise issues. If that fixes the problem and more tracks stay open, sign me up!

|

10/18/2020 4:49 PM

I've had my Alta for a year now. 100% without a doubt the best bike I've ever owned period. Once I got the suspension dialed, I have zero complaints. The bike is extremely fun to ride, confidence inspiring and is FAST!! Every time I've switched bikes with someone to let them try it out, I felt like I was riding something vintage. Gas motors feel clunky and a bit odd now compared to the clean and crisp power delivery of the Alta.

|

10/18/2020 4:52 PM

AJ isn't big enough, or influential enough to sell any large amount of them.
But yeah the Alta bikes were/are cool.

|

10/18/2020 5:22 PM

Lack of sales was not Alta’s problem

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com

10/18/2020 5:52 PM

I have 6 acres. I have the freedom to ride whatever I want.
Imo Electric Dirt bikes are the future. Just based off of The restrictions of sound alone. It’s a real problem in lots of areas. The Human population in general are bigger whiners. It’s called progression....😏
I’d buy a first year model if Honda produces that prototype.
Alta was amazing, to say overpriced for a premium/Leander in the market brand is a real stretch. After working at a H-D dealership I think H-D could drag any brand down. 800#’s of chrome per unit....

Ghost

|

10/18/2020 6:02 PM

No.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

10/18/2020 6:03 PM

Honda has one in the pipeline. 🤷🏻‍♂️

|

10/18/2020 7:23 PM

Skylebones wrote:

I'm honestly excited about electric bikes only because we've had so many local tracks close because of noise issues. If that fixes the problem and more tracks stay open, sign me up!

They’ll complain about dust next. Even if there isn’t any. Or some endangered lizard.

|

10/18/2020 8:14 PM

No. Josh Hill riding an Alta at Straight Rhythm didn't do it either. On a related note, there is now a Loretta Lynn's class for the KTM/Husky electric minis.
If you read between the lines, Alta didn't have enough pull on the rule makers, but KTM did. Cobra is supposed to be in on that too, but the bikes are not available yet.

|

10/18/2020 8:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/18/2020 8:33 PM

yz133rider wrote:

If Alta would have not gotten involved with hd they’d likely be around still.

why does this pure speculation get admired? @yz133rider, what about getting a potential investor likely caused their downfall, since you must know?

|

10/18/2020 8:22 PM

I was a Regional Manager for Alta and trust me HD was not the downfall of Alta.

There was an agreement between Alta and HD for Alta to build an entry level bike for Harley. The deal went sideways and the deal broke up. There was another OE that came into the picture and was interested in doing a 100% acquisition of Alta. We were pumped. It looked like a great deal.

After that OE saw the bleeding, they pulled the plug on the deal. Many investors were interested but the bleeding was too great at that point.

It was really hard for a high tech, start up, dirt bike company based in Silicon Valley to sell enough units to pay the bills. We were selling one product, a dirt bike. If that same dirt bike was branded as a Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha and had ATV's, UTV's, street bikes, other dirt bikes, lawn mowers, generators etc. also being sold it would have worked.

I truly believe that if Alta could have made it to 2020, with the help of the pandemic and people getting outdoors more on trails and tracks with dirt bikes sales going through the roof, they would have made it.

I loved the bike, the company, the people and my job. No regrets. Well, one. Wish I would have kept at least one of my 5 demos!

|

10/19/2020 1:02 AM

Zoom wrote:

There was an agreement between Alta and HD for Alta to build an entry level bike for Harley. The deal went sideways and the deal broke up. There was another OE that came into the picture and was interested in doing a 100% acquisition of Alta. We were pumped. It looked like a great deal.

After that OE saw the bleeding, they pulled the plug on the deal. Many investors were interested but the bleeding was too great at that point.

It was really hard for a high tech, start up, dirt bike company based in Silicon Valley to sell enough units to pay the bills. We were selling one product, a dirt bike. If that same dirt bike was branded as a Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha and had ATV's, UTV's, street bikes, other dirt bikes, lawn mowers, generators etc. also being sold it would have worked.

I truly believe that if Alta could have made it to 2020, with the help of the pandemic and people getting outdoors more on trails and tracks with dirt bikes sales going through the roof, they would have made it.

I loved the bike, the company, the people and my job. No regrets. Well, one. Wish I would have kept at least one of my 5 demos!

Thanks for sharing that Zoom. Its sad that so many blame HD then.
So your opinion is solely towards the tough challenge business wise,start up etc or where there also factors as location and being in California?

|

Amateur MX'er from Sweden. Currently I have a 2017 Yamaha YZ250, 1995 Honda CR500R, 1996 Honda CR250R, 1992 Honda CR250R and a 1989 Honda CR250R. I race the European EVO Championship, promote local MX races in Southern Sweden and run MXestore Europe (www.mxestore.com)

10/19/2020 1:08 AM

mikec265 wrote:

No. Josh Hill riding an Alta at Straight Rhythm didn't do it either. On a related note, there is now a Loretta Lynn's class for the KTM/Husky electric minis.
If you read between the lines, Alta didn't have enough pull on the rule makers, but KTM did. Cobra is supposed to be in on that too, but the bikes are not available yet.

I watched RBSR and Hill, and it was awesome. I also saw some other films with riding by Hill and others. I just feel in hindsight that it was early and people like us where skeptical and many probably felt that videos and reviews was biased. I really liked the way AJ presented it (also with the generator on the truck 😂 ).
Its sure great that KTM/Husky and also Cobra has the minibikes going! 👍

|

10/19/2020 1:56 AM

Ghostrider145 wrote:

Imo Electric Dirt bikes are the future. Just based off of The restrictions of sound alone. It’s a real problem in lots of areas. The Human population in general are bigger whiners. It’s called progression....😏
Alta was amazing, to say overpriced for a premium/Leander in the market brand is a real stretch. After working at a H-D dealership I think H-D could drag any brand down. 800#’s of chrome per unit....

Ghost

Brand new ORV park just opened here in Michigan a few weeks ago. Already has a big chunk that is now off limits to dirt bikes. Reason? Noise complaints.

|

10/19/2020 6:13 AM

Zoom wrote:

flykay wrote:

Thanks for sharing that Zoom. Its sad that so many blame HD then.
So your opinion is solely towards the tough challenge business wise,start up etc or where there also factors as location and being in California?

Harley was an easy target and had history with their partnership with Beull.

Yes, being based in Silicon Valley made it difficult, but it also helped attract a group of engineers from Tesla that joined the team early to help create the battery.back.

The Alta battery was the secret sauce. It was the most powerful compact battery in transportation in the world.

|

10/19/2020 6:20 AM

|

10/19/2020 8:29 AM

I don't have the cash personally but I think its worth the asking price where else can you get a a brand new Alta?

|

10/19/2020 9:02 AM

I doubt it

|

10/19/2020 9:16 AM

Fuuuuuuck I wish I could buy that thing, I’m dreaming of the day I have an electric bike in the garage.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com

10/19/2020 9:23 AM

First off... electric is not new tech... its old.. super old... Tesla (the real one) was doing it back just after the turn of the 1900s...

Secondly.. its no cleaner than gas......

Third.... gas engines are MUCH easier to ride... electric has too much torque down low, making for an odd (yet fast) feel... feels fast from a dead stop, but that isn't an advantage...

Electric is the way those that run the show, want things to go now.... nothing more, nothing less.. this isn't zero point energy here....

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

10/19/2020 9:30 AM

Ghostrider145 wrote:

Ghost

MudPup545 wrote:

Brand new ORV park just opened here in Michigan a few weeks ago. Already has a big chunk that is now off limits to dirt bikes. Reason? Noise complaints.

Where is the new park?

|

10/19/2020 10:08 AM

JM485 wrote:

Lack of sales was not Alta’s problem

The fact that they lost money on every sale certainly was, though.

|

10/19/2020 10:24 AM

Ghostrider145 wrote:

Ghost

MudPup545 wrote:

Zook La Douche wrote:

Where is the new park?

Holly, MI

|

2008 Honda CRF450R

10/19/2020 10:31 AM

|

10/19/2020 10:42 AM

Skylebones wrote:

Sawfish wrote:

They’ll complain about dust next. Even if there isn’t any. Or some endangered lizard.

Yup.This has been my argument from the beginning. You eliminate noise, they will complain about dust. Eliminate the dust issue, they will complain about destroying the ground. Eliminate that issue and they will continue to find the next thing to bitch about. It will never end no matter what we can possibly come up with to fix the last complaint.

People hate us and what we do. No way around it and it won't change.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals