Wossner, Pro-X, or KTM crank rebuild kit?

Rickyisms
Edited Date/Time 9/1/2020 9:25am
The KTM kit is a little more expensive than the two aftermarkets, but I’ve heard Wossner makes some good stuff. Never personally used their things before. Skeptical of Pro-X. Saw a fellow member post a new crank from them and the box says “Made in China” but the rod said “Made in Japan”.

KTM rod rebuild worth the money? 2016 KTM 125SX.
|
8/25/2020 10:21pm
I was told by a reputable builder that the pro x rods are OEM quality or better. That’s what’s in my ktm now
Ryan625
8/25/2020 10:22pm
I just put a Pro-X complete crank in my 144 and was impressed by the quality. Someone once told me Pro-X was OEM or better
Tuna
8/26/2020 4:08am
No issues with Pro X. Only reason I just put an OEM crank in my FX was I got a new one for $250 off EBay. I would have used Pro X if not.
yzf162
8/26/2020 5:21am
Have it rebuilt at crank works in az. Have them throw a rod in there. Tru balance and weld it. Pro x rods are good rods. Have a friend, decent rider with 100+ on his 250f with a prox rod. Ktm rods are great. Also crank works has a pro rod they build. It's in my opinion the best rod out there. I still have one of the very first ones we made when i worked there in a old 250f with over 150 hrs. Still perfect. Can't go wrong with any of those 3.

The Shop

8/26/2020 5:33am
Pro-X rods are good. My only advise would be that if you need to replace the crank bearings stick with OEM.
Jimfunn
8/26/2020 5:35am
all three will be fine. Wossner is decent quality.
8/26/2020 6:17am
I've only used Pro X on all my rebuilds. I like their gaskets, too... they've fit everything perfectly.

I've blown up two cranks in my life- both Hot Rods. I don't understand why magazines always push Hot Rods stuff. Advertising? I don't know. I also went with a Wiseco Racer Elite piston after reading the raving review of it on RacerX. It sucked!!!! Made my 150 feel like a 125. A KTM mechanic later explained to me why the flat-topped KTM piston feels like it does vs the domed top of the Wiseco and that made sense but I don't know why the mags don't give us real information. I do know that I'm starting to trust magazines less and less and less.

Rant over.

I like Pro X stuff. I use anything of theirs that's available- pistons, gaskets, sprockets, chains... whatever.
c0ncEpT
8/26/2020 6:22am
Pro-X finds the OEM supplier and has them repop the parts for them. So they are OEM quality.
Spudnut
8/26/2020 7:14am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2020 7:20am
I've only used Pro X on all my rebuilds. I like their gaskets, too... they've fit everything perfectly. I've blown up two cranks in my life-...
I've only used Pro X on all my rebuilds. I like their gaskets, too... they've fit everything perfectly.

I've blown up two cranks in my life- both Hot Rods. I don't understand why magazines always push Hot Rods stuff. Advertising? I don't know. I also went with a Wiseco Racer Elite piston after reading the raving review of it on RacerX. It sucked!!!! Made my 150 feel like a 125. A KTM mechanic later explained to me why the flat-topped KTM piston feels like it does vs the domed top of the Wiseco and that made sense but I don't know why the mags don't give us real information. I do know that I'm starting to trust magazines less and less and less.

Rant over.

I like Pro X stuff. I use anything of theirs that's available- pistons, gaskets, sprockets, chains... whatever.
I don’t even read that garbage anymore honestly man. all you can do these days is go off your experiences. Sadly can’t trust most media outlets when it comes to performance parts, they blow everything up like it’s amazing and i NEED it to win that +25 c moto

Take it with a grain of salt then do your own research has done me good.
STLSharky
8/26/2020 8:00am
Ryan625 wrote:
I just put a Pro-X complete crank in my 144 and was impressed by the quality. Someone once told me Pro-X was OEM or better
You wouldn't know the quality til the rod goes out or you measured it compared to a new pankle
Broseph
8/26/2020 8:11am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2020 8:12am
c0ncEpT wrote:
Pro-X finds the OEM supplier and has them repop the parts for them. So they are OEM quality.
Sadly that’s not true anymore. There are still a few ProX products that are OE Japanese made, but they’re starting to source pistons from whoever can make them the cheapest.

Look for new Pro X pistons to be missing any skirt coatings the OE has. Also, most modern 4Ts have gone to a DLC coated pin. A replacement ProX will have an uncoated pin. Piston architecture (pin boss gusseting, etc) will be a few years behind the curve as well.

Overall, they’re now a downgrade from OE.
kb228
8/26/2020 9:14am
ProX connecting rods are in both of my bikes. I had ken oconnor rebuild my oem cranks and ProX is what he uses with great success
8/26/2020 9:18am
Yea sorry guys but prox is starting to get cheap like how ART used to make their pistons. But not anymore so I question their rods going forward if it was me.
slipdog
8/26/2020 6:26pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2020 9:25am
Oh for the love of God, screw Pro X, and their Chinese fucking bullshit. I did a complete engine rebuild on a 2019 KTM 65 this Monday and went to fire it up today and it wouldn’t fucking run and I’ve been going through everything new and what was changed but it dawned on me it seemed very timing related and when I pulled the flywheel and check the woodruff key it’s not even close to the same spot as the stock crankshaft. Holy fuck boys I can’t begin to tell you how pissed off I am right now.... Never again with pro X!

Sorry about my crappy Photoshop skills but putting the piston at top dead center put the woodruff key on the pro X crank at approximately 6:45 and holding the stock crank next to it with the rod in line with the cylinder puts the woodruff key behind 6 o’clock at approximately 5:45

Rickyisms
8/26/2020 6:31pm
Pro-X rods are good. My only advise would be that if you need to replace the crank bearings stick with OEM.
Going with everything else OEM inside the engine for sure.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I remember Pro-X being a highly recommended company 4-5 years ago but it seems that is going away. Shame.
BToz
8/26/2020 6:52pm
Rickyisms wrote:
Going with everything else OEM inside the engine for sure. Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I remember Pro-X being a highly recommended company 4-5 years...
Going with everything else OEM inside the engine for sure.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I remember Pro-X being a highly recommended company 4-5 years ago but it seems that is going away. Shame.
Lol good idea. Slipdog’s post is good enough for me with what mass produced parts are at with quality control. I see it a lot in aftermarket parts in automotive. I use oem 90% of the time.

Post a reply to: Wossner, Pro-X, or KTM crank rebuild kit?

The Latest