Worst gear combo you have had (pics)

Related:
Create New Tag

11/17/2014 3:52 PM

Like the title says, whats the worst combo you've ever ran? I got 2 lol that I look back on and cringe. First pic is circa 85 or so, All Oneal with the frog face protector and flat visor, don't forget the RG boots for good measure. Pretty much any gear in the 80's was terrible. Next is my 91 gear set, green/blue AXO pants with matching boots and a F'n tie die'd shirt (smh) what was I thinking? Oneal chesty (sigh) if you dressed like that now, you would be accused of riding quads lol.

Anyone else have some not so stellar gear combo's they sported?
Photo

Photo

|

You're trying to use logic in your post and 4stroke doesn't appreciate logic! (FACT)

11/17/2014 5:11 PM

First race. From head to toe: Metallic blue Bell helmet. Seer goggles and mouth/face guard. Yellow cotton Maico jersey. Original style O'neal chest protector under my jersey. Unknown brand of red, white & blue leather gloves. Unknown brand of kidney belt. Real leather pants. Plastic MXL boots.

I bought the boots from a neighbor. My Dad bought me the jersey. Everything else was donated from our neighbors.

Photo

|

Bret Bonham

11/17/2014 5:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/18/2014 6:25 AM

I've worn a lot of odd looking stuff...but it was normally coordinated for the particular era...except the first part of 1990!!

I was in the middle of hand me down stuff and trying to mow enough lawns to get a whole pink and blue Yoko outfit together.
I was a weird kid and always loved seeing the GP pics in MXA...I thought M Robert stuff was pretty cool...they kind of seemed like the Euro version of JT in the 1980s. I got my first pair of boots in about '87 and I found an ad for some Liquidators mail order company in the back of MXA that had M Robert boots for 49 or 59 bucks. I got a pair of Georges Jobe replica boots...the "Jobe boot from what I remember was actually really well built...it was ahead of its time with buckles and had a lot of plastic around the ankle and on the inside but it seemed soft and flexible.

I bought the Malcolm Smith Kawasaki pants from a 4th grade riding buddy. These were the top of the line ones and they were super stretchy and comfortable. I had been mowing lawns and as soon as the HRP clear protector came out I had to have it! I blew a couple months work on the piece of crap...it had sharp edges and shattered...the foam fell out...but it looked so cool when it was new. I can still remember the ads in the magazines. The Vohlands were wearing these along with Yoko gear and I bought a kidney belt and jersey. The pink Fox pawtectors were a Christmas present from my mom. I wore a hand me down Bell Moto 3 from my Uncle. He raced with it back in '81 or '82 then quit for awhile....so it was 8 years old but it was in pretty good shape. The Oakley goggles my Dad and I shared on raceday...we had 1 pair of Oakleys and some pink Scott 89's with Roll Offs.

I love Moto gear and all it's history...
Photo

Just for comparison..here is a picture of me 25 years later in about the corner on the same track. My passion for Euro gear never went away....and I was lucky enough to make connections and spend time working for UFO in Italy in the early 2000's and have been able to wear it since 2000.

Photo

|

11/17/2014 5:58 PM

I'm just going to say any Oneal gear period. I've had 1 set and looking back it was horribly ugly and even worse made.

|

11/17/2014 6:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/18/2014 12:34 AM

wpark89 wrote:

I've worn a lot of odd looking stuff...but it was normally coordinated for the particular era...except the first part of ...more

LOL.... I had a similar combo. The late 1980s AXO neon orange pants, AXO blue white boots, and Fox Racing (blue square jersey - aka Chicken), white HRP chest protector, axo kidney belt and white Bell Moto 4 (had a KX80 too). It was hard to buy matching gear back in the day - price and quantities. Now days..... price and web, not reason to have great matching gear (clearance, online shops)

Neon Pants: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tblazier/8687984871/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tblazier/8689486580/in/photostream/lightbox/

AXO Gloves: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tblazier/8687985155/in/photostream/

AXO Boots: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tblazier/8687984871/in/photostream/

Fox Jersey: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tblazier/6220519907/in/set-72157627648304970/lightbox/

|

bd

11/17/2014 6:29 PM

wpark89 wrote:

I've worn a lot of odd looking stuff...but it was normally coordinated for the particular era...except the first part of ...more

Damn, is the Richland in the 80s and recent Richland? That's awesome though I always thought UFO made some of the coolest gear!

|

11/17/2014 9:46 PM

wpark89 wrote:

FIREfish148 wrote:

Damn, is the Richland in the 80s and recent Richland? That's awesome though I always thought UFO made some of the coolest ...more

Yep...that's Horn.

|

11/18/2014 2:26 AM

Photo

1974 TM125. Rockin the road bike helmet, no peak and goggles, footy jersey, jeans, dodgy boots with footy socks rolled over the top. Just noticed the tape holding the sole on the boots - must have been a bit broke in the old days.
|

11/18/2014 3:08 AM

Not the worst but for sure the weirdest was riding with the WWR cape at a team race here in Holland just before the MXdN2004.
The ARC gear Knobby brought me was weird too. I still have the set at home somewhere.
I was and still am proud to have worn it though.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

11/18/2014 3:30 AM

Jefro98 wrote:

Not the worst but for sure the weirdest was riding with the WWR cape at a team race here in Holland just before the MXdN2004.
...more

Jesus !!!

laughing laughing laughing

|

11/18/2014 3:36 AM

Tony922 wrote: Photo

1974 TM125. Rockin the road bike helmet, no peak and goggles, footy jersey, jeans, dodgy boots with footy socks rolled over ...more

Im calling bullshit.... thats Rodger Decoster..

|

11/18/2014 3:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/18/2014 3:46 AM

12 front 48 rear on a clapped out 125. That sure went out of style quick. O yea, and this...Photo

No ragrets bro

|

BRAAAAAAAAAPPTPTPTBOGGGGG

11/18/2014 3:49 AM

Psh, I always look good. silly

|

11/18/2014 3:58 AM

1974 TM125. Rockin the road bike helmet, no peak and goggles, footy jersey, jeans, dodgy boots with footy socks rolled over ...more
Dick Trickle wrote:

Photo

|

"A rule is a rule and without rules, there is Chaos"....Cosmo Kramer

11/18/2014 5:14 AM

I have one with me pulling a holeshot, just moved up to the B class but it rained all the way to the track. I put all old gear on to save my good stuff, at least that's my excuse...
Photo

|

11/18/2014 5:46 AM

Dick Trickle wrote:

Vet57 wrote: Photo

w00t laughing laughing laughing
|

You're trying to use logic in your post and 4stroke doesn't appreciate logic! (FACT)

11/18/2014 7:02 AM

Nice picture of the late Lake Whitney mx park.

|

11/18/2014 7:09 AM

Anyone that wore these

Photo

Photo

|

11/18/2014 7:44 AM

Photo

Pretty sure I've got you all beat... Pink Ocelot! circa 1994

|

11/18/2014 7:53 AM

not the worst but it was bad pants color check.....Photo

|

11/18/2014 8:06 AM

mb60 wrote:

Nice picture of the late Lake Whitney mx park.

Har! I was wondering if any Tx's folks would recognize that turn, Hands down the best time I've had racing was at the GNC Nationals. Coming out of that gully and floating 1' off the ground into that left hander was the coolest feeling.

|

11/18/2014 11:13 AM

First year of Alias. The rubber protectors on the thighs wer efalling off before my first ride was over.

|

Mike

Thanks to all the people that have not beaten me to death yet!

11/13/2019 3:12 PM

mxtech1 wrote:

Anyone that wore these

Photo

Photo

Wym, LBZ back in the game. Shit we all wore LBZ at our last GFL Contest in yuma a few months back, I still wear baggies, a long sleeve and rock cut fenders and grab holes at the track. Sad part is i still run faster than ⅔ of everyone

|

11/14/2019 4:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/14/2019 4:24 AM

Ugliest stuff I ever wore? AXO Mission Control purple pants. Man, I have no idea what I was thinking back then but I know I wore the crap out of them and though they were awesome. Now it just looks like someone lefth multiple batches on some otherwise decent pants.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tblazier/34357773643

|

11/14/2019 4:40 AM

I purchased some Shot race gear last summer. It was so badly shaped that you could not move your legs, there was no flex in the crotch area. I rode with them 2 times and after the second time I just tossed them in the trash.

|

11/14/2019 5:10 AM

1994 Dallas Supercross Amateur Day with the baldy Arai and the 100% cotton MSR jersey. If only you could see the bright ass pink pants. Photo

|

11/14/2019 11:17 AM

In my early days I was a yellow Jim Davis fan, fro shin guards to elbow guards. Later in life I wasn’t fussy and different brand for every piece. 😒 Photo
Photo

|

11/14/2019 11:37 AM

Ah come on. Somebody needs to post some pics of the Troy Lee Circus Clown gear like their polka dot stuff. They make some of the most atrocious gear imaginable. I truly think Troy and the boys sit down every once in a while to smoke a fat doobie, drink adult beverages and design gear they can't believe anybody would wear, let alone buy. They make some of the nicest gear out there but they also have a sense of humor. It would be a riot to get to party with them at one of their review meeting to go over how much of the circus gear people actually paid good money for...

|

11/14/2019 12:07 PM

Crusher will agree. I wore this until it fell apart:

Photo

Photo

|

11/14/2019 12:08 PM

Dx3moto wrote:

Psh, I always look good. silly

When I saw the title for this thread, this is what I was going to say... shocked laughing

|