Worst spotter “Flagger” award goes too...

Related:
Create New Tag

10/13/2020 2:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/13/2020 3:29 PM

View this post on Instagram

Dude made no efforts to warn the guy...🤦🏻‍♂️ @kaihaase810 @motoarmy_

A post shared by The Original Moto Fails of IG (@moto.fails) on

|

10/13/2020 2:35 PM

The main reason radio com will be in place at some point, sometimes a 0.1 second gain can be more important than lap times wink

|

10/13/2020 3:11 PM

Same thing happened when my kid crashed. Flagger looking the wrong way and next kid hit my kids bike and endoed down the hill after the jump. Really sucks when they're not paying attention.

|

Indecision is a choice

10/13/2020 3:12 PM

Flagger:

Photo

|

10/13/2020 3:59 PM

Watched this video a few times on the gram today. I think that bonehead at the top of the hill is the rider of that downed bike. He must've hit his head and was just staring into space.

|

United States of America

10/13/2020 4:33 PM

I gave a flagger at Thunder Valley a bit of a lecture after watching him for a few minutes. He spent the majority of his time watching oncoming riders, with only very occasional peeks at the area that he was supposed to be watching.

It's okay to be a fan and a spectator. Just do it on the other side of the fence.

|

10/13/2020 5:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/13/2020 5:54 PM

GuyB wrote:

I gave a flagger at Thunder Valley a bit of a lecture after watching him for a few minutes. He spent the majority of his time ...more

And I am sure he really appreciated it too, everybody is a expert on flagging but they never go flag themselves because they are too "core" to be a flagger. If you aint flagging then people need to STFU and take pictures or watch the race and drink beer or what ever the hell people go to the race to do. blush Its hard enough trying to get flaggers and then when half the crowd is telling them how to do their job all day they never come back the next year.
We have had to use Jefferson county work release inmates at Lakewood in the past because its only a little better being a flagger than sitting in a cell so that should tell you something about the MX crowd, they eat their young.

|

Ed Johnson

10/13/2020 6:10 PM

Um,

What flagger?

That is a rider, and he is right up there with the idiots that ignore flags.

Karma paid him a little visit by trashing his bike.

|

10/13/2020 6:25 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

And I am sure he really appreciated it too, everybody is a expert on flagging but they never go flag themselves because they ...more

Here recently a guy went down in the middle of a straight away. The crowd was yelling at the flagger probably 40 yards up in the direction of the track instead of the flagger behind the rider. They got that guy all kinds of confused.

Majority of flaggers are inexperienced and don’t really know wants going on. It’s bad enough when someone goes down, but when the flagger sees someone laying there and everyone is yelling at them it makes the situation even worse.

|

10/13/2020 6:39 PM

Some people just wanna watch the world burn...

|

10/13/2020 6:42 PM

I hate blind jumps.

|

10/13/2020 7:31 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

And I am sure he really appreciated it too, everybody is a expert on flagging but they never go flag themselves because they ...more

Well, I’m not sure he appreciated it as much as you think.

I started flagging when I was 12 or so, and quickly figured out what was needed on the job.

I also discovered that adrenaline is a hell of a drug. Who knew a skinny kid could pick up a CZ? 😏

|

10/13/2020 7:52 PM

I came to watch a buddy race at a relatively new track near me.
I was appalled at the lack of flagging.
I approached the owner, and a few weeks later I found myself running the damn show, and I lasted almost 15 years. And he still calls me to come back.

I had about 8 years of training in SCCA, and have a solid grasp on flagging and communications.

It's something that the flagger must want to do.

To get someone out there every event, you have to pay them, and that's the problem. They're there to make a couple of bucks, not save lives.

I can't tell you how to fix it, but I worked my ass off trying, and it was never what I wanted it to be.

We got close for a while, but it was never great.

|

Go for it! Don't let a little thing like fear, or common sense hold you back.

10/13/2020 8:09 PM

There are flaggers and there are people who flag.
Only a flagger knows the difference.

|

10/13/2020 8:23 PM

The person taking the vid was just waiting for carnage... nice

|

10/14/2020 4:42 AM

JustMX wrote:

Um,

What flagger?

That is a rider, and he is right up there with the idiots that ignore flags.

Karma paid him a little ...more

I think the rider who broke his leg in 4 places hitting that bike might not agree with the karma.

|

10/14/2020 5:05 AM

I know that guy who crashed.
I also ride a lot in dornoland.
The problem is that in dornoland everyone have access to the PRO track, which obviously isn't ideal for the newbie with his damn 450 machine.
People crashes and have no experience, and then this happen.
Fuck newbies, there are easier tracks for them. Stupid newbies again.

|

rarararaataatatatata

10/14/2020 7:03 AM

Finnish_Flash_62 wrote:

I think the rider who broke his leg in 4 places hitting that bike might not agree with the karma.

I just watched the video and didn't realize that the other rider was injured. It is unfortunate that he paid the price for the other rider failing to try to warn him.

|

10/14/2020 7:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/14/2020 7:17 AM

GuyB wrote:

I gave a flagger at Thunder Valley a bit of a lecture after watching him for a few minutes. He spent the majority of his time ...more

I actually was approached at the MXDN in Lakewood about flagging for the weekend.
I had no idea that 1. They weren't already covered in this area for such a prestigious event and 2. they would approach two friends of a friend, to be flaggers!!

We both declined for the reasons you stated, we figured to do the job correctly you would miss out on the majority of the racing.

And thank god we declined! Seeing 16 or 15 year old Ken Roczen chase down and pass the majority of 450 riders on an oxygen deprived 250 was incredible to see in person!!

If you've ever ridden Thunder Valley on a 250f or 125 you know how bad they are starving for air.

|

@wasummer46

10/14/2020 9:35 AM

MZ193 wrote:

The problem is that in dornoland everyone have access to the PRO ...more

Doesn't Dorno have a safety system installed that tracks rider movement and then flashes a light when a rider stops moving behind a jump? Guess this jump doesnt have it because it's too small

|

10/14/2020 9:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/14/2020 9:49 AM

MZ193 wrote:

The problem is that in dornoland everyone have access to the PRO ...more

crusty_xx wrote:

Doesn't Dorno have a safety system installed that tracks rider movement and then flashes a light when a rider stops moving ...more

Update: it has an eye track camera, as this video shows at 00:58

|

10/14/2020 2:59 PM

Everyone of us that has raced has encountered a similar situation. Usually we get lucky but sometimes it can be bad. Flagging isn't rocket science but it does require some knowledge or training and the ability to focus on the task at hand. It's like most "menial" tasks...considered unimportant until it's not done or done wrong...then it's a really big deal. That gal/guy that sterilizes the operating room is paid nothing, poorly trained, and taken completely for granted...until patients get those horrible infections.

I can't speak for others but....free entry, 3 free meals, plenty of water, and a 12 pack at the end of the day buys my talent.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

10/14/2020 3:17 PM

plowboy wrote:

Everyone of us that has raced has encountered a similar situation. Usually we get lucky but sometimes it can be bad. Flagging ...more

That's why the SCCA works so well.
Everyone there is a volunteer, and they want to be there to be close to the action, and be a part of it.

Meals, drinks, and an event T-shirt maybe.

We used to do the Ferrari challenge races, and they'd invite Ferrari owners to come for a track day between race sessions.

Those people know how to eat, and drink!

|

Go for it! Don't let a little thing like fear, or common sense hold you back.

10/14/2020 3:32 PM

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

That's why the SCCA works so well.
Everyone there is a volunteer, and they want to be there to be close to the action, and be ...more

Yeah, I have the t-shirts...lol.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

10/14/2020 3:59 PM

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

I came to watch a buddy race at a relatively new track near me.
I was appalled at the lack of flagging.
I approached the ...more

Karl and I are of the same cloth, we've discussed flagging, rules, etc...
I started flagging when I had to be as young as 9 or 10 (This is mid-70's)

Through my life, flagged many tracks, flagged many types of spots, and up until I started this little biz, if I was at the track, I was flagging, racing or announcing

It's not easy to do, spending all day or night, choking dirt and dust for nominal pay and zero thanks.

When I was announcing, I always closed by telling riders to thanks the flaggers, scorekeepers and track staff on the way out.

|

Make sure you downvote!