Worst crash ever....

alphado
Edited Date/Time 8/5/2021 4:47am
.... and it was on a mountain bike!

Joe and I went to a ski joint that has mountain bike lift access yesterday. I ate shit bad! We were hitting the flow trail one more time. I had my front wheel wash out between 2 berms and went over the bars. I flipped as it was pretty steep and ended up on my back. Smacked my head pretty good too. Knocked the wind out of me. All I remember was trying to call for Joe but I couldn't speak. He was ahead of me and always stops to wait for me to catch up. He made his way up to me as I was finally crawling out from under the bike.

We sat there for about 20 minutes and I was able to walk back down to the truck. Joe loaded up and started the 90 minute drive home. I have never been in so much pain before in my life. I had him drop me off at the ER and my wife met me there. I had a bottle of ibuprofen in the truck but I bought the gel caps and they all melted together.

Got the full trauma screening there. First x-rays showed fluid on my left lung. So then came the blood work, more x-rays and a bunch of cat scans. Finally got some pain meds too.

Diagnosis is bruised lung and ribs and a muscle tear in my back. So much pain! I can't move. Worst crash I ever had. I was really scared lying there. Maybe time to start acting my age.
|
flarider
8/1/2021 4:10am
First, the important stuff.....THAT'S LITTLE JOEY??

WOW....

Now, on to you.....glad you're ok, well, sort of ok. Get well and rest up

We're getting old, Dennis
Richy
8/1/2021 5:28am Edited Date/Time 8/1/2021 5:28am
Glad you're good man, I can remember a similar one, it's scary for sure, and as always a reminder to not ride alone.

Going through a 6 pack on a BMX, looped it out straight onto my back and literally couldn't move or talk for a couple of minutes, seriously thought I'd fucked it and it was gonna be chair time again, but must have just knocked myself into some weird factory reset mode.
Nairb#70
8/1/2021 6:13am
alphado wrote:
.... and it was on a mountain bike! Joe and I went to a ski joint that has mountain bike lift access yesterday. I ate shit...

Joe and I went to a ski joint that has mountain bike lift access yesterday. I ate shit bad! We were hitting the flow trail one more time. I had my front wheel wash out between 2 berms and went over the bars. I flipped as it was pretty steep and ended up on my back. Smacked my head pretty good too. Knocked the wind out of me. All I remember was trying to call for Joe but I couldn't speak. He was ahead of me and always stops to wait for me to catch up. He made his way up to me as I was finally crawling out from under the bike.

We sat there for about 20 minutes and I was able to walk back down to the truck. Joe loaded up and started the 90 minute drive home. I have never been in so much pain before in my life. I had him drop me off at the ER and my wife met me there. I had a bottle of ibuprofen in the truck but I bought the gel caps and they all melted together.

Got the full trauma screening there. First x-rays showed fluid on my left lung. So then came the blood work, more x-rays and a bunch of cat scans. Finally got some pain meds too.

Diagnosis is bruised lung and ribs and a muscle tear in my back. So much pain! I can't move. Worst crash I ever had. I was really scared lying there. Maybe time to start acting my age.
Nice shirts! Is that the new downhill gear?Grinning

The Shop

VetRider97
8/1/2021 6:19am
Hopefully you make speedy recovery. Don't start acting your age, keep at it as long as you can.....if anything ride more to build endurance and skill and you will be less likely to crash, maybe back it down some. JMHO

Love the Hawaiian MTB shirts!
alphado
8/1/2021 6:27am
The Hawaiian shirts are Joe's style. I finally caved and wore one for the first time yesterday.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
8/1/2021 7:27am Edited Date/Time 8/1/2021 7:29am
Ouch, sorry that happened, this stuff is supposed to be fun. Hang tough and heal fast ! I’m glad it wasn’t worse and hope you’re back to not acting your age again soon. 👍
TeamGreen
8/1/2021 7:43am
alphado wrote:
The Hawaiian shirts are Joe's style. I finally caved and wore one for the first time yesterday.
Up-side: you were smart enough to know ya needed to get your ass into the ER. Nice! Stoked that you're OK...well...this morning ya probably don't think so; but, the day after ALWAYS kinda sucks!
Grinning

For EI Dave come New Guy Name..."Are you implying we're getting old?!" Angry

Silly
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
8/1/2021 7:59am
I have a big one about every 2-3 years like clockwork, and I've noticed with each one it gets harder and harder to get up. Stuff that I used to pop up from and still make football practice the next day, now knocks me out for a couple of days. Heal fast, beer helps.
Natester551v
8/1/2021 8:02am
Glad you're okay; that's a scary crash!!!

I wadded my YZ450F at the Jericho National H&H this year, sold it, and bought a Sherco 300 SE. Hard(ish) enduro is my gig now...no more high speed stuff! Getting older obviously sucks, but for both MTB and dirt bikes I try to focus on more skill-related terrain w/o the scary consequences...I'm too brittle to bounce like I once did.
Meister
8/1/2021 8:18am
Bicycles are a big no go for me. If it don't have a motor, I ain't ridin it hard! Some of the nastiest crashes I've seen have been on bicycles.

Heal up! Act your age and ride something with a motor!
yzken250x
8/1/2021 9:33am
Damn dude. Welcome to old age. I joined that club after surgery #6.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
8/1/2021 9:40am
alphado wrote:
.... and it was on a mountain bike! Joe and I went to a ski joint that has mountain bike lift access yesterday. I ate shit...

Yikes! That sucks man, glad you’re generally okay.
BikePilot
8/1/2021 10:38pm
I don’t know what it is but somehow bicycle crashes just hurt more. I even wear the same gear save boots for DH and MX and the DH crashes still hurt more.
The Oracle
Fantasy
4286th
8/1/2021 10:57pm
I can feel your pain. MTB crashes just hurt.. a lot.
Glad to hear that it did not go “worse” and that it is something you’ll recover from. It can be a scary sport for sure. I feel like when you crash on a bicycle, it is a way harder impact than what you usually get on a motocross bike. It is just a hard, brutal body slam where all your momentum just stops in that first hit.

I rode MTB for the 3rd time last weekend of June and overshot and nosedived a tabletop bad. Broken femur snapped right off and multiple fractures in hip and a “dented” hip bowl. Could have been a lot worse. Landed directly on my head but I was “tucked” and rolled over to slam my hip and leg. Still learning basic movement and have maybe 20-25% movement in the leg. Got it on video though and a hell of a cool GoPro shot after I crashed that made the news, haha’

Have a great recovery and keep on shredding!
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
8/1/2021 11:34pm
The Oracle wrote:
I can feel your pain. MTB crashes just hurt.. a lot. Glad to hear that it did not go “worse” and that it is something you’ll...
I can feel your pain. MTB crashes just hurt.. a lot.
Glad to hear that it did not go “worse” and that it is something you’ll recover from. It can be a scary sport for sure. I feel like when you crash on a bicycle, it is a way harder impact than what you usually get on a motocross bike. It is just a hard, brutal body slam where all your momentum just stops in that first hit.

I rode MTB for the 3rd time last weekend of June and overshot and nosedived a tabletop bad. Broken femur snapped right off and multiple fractures in hip and a “dented” hip bowl. Could have been a lot worse. Landed directly on my head but I was “tucked” and rolled over to slam my hip and leg. Still learning basic movement and have maybe 20-25% movement in the leg. Got it on video though and a hell of a cool GoPro shot after I crashed that made the news, haha’

Have a great recovery and keep on shredding!
Ouch again, lots of hurt in this thread. Hope you get back to 100%. Good luck that sounds brutal
cwel11
8/2/2021 2:59am
This post caught my eye. We just went to a downhill park for the first time yesterday. Very fun but also very dangerous. We took our MX helmets and elbow pads but when we go back I’m taking more stuff. Lots of rocks and hardback stuff to hurt you if you go down. Glad you’ll heal up but man you guys look underdressed for downhill MTB
kNewc
8/2/2021 5:49am
I rode tons of BMX as a kid and my worse wrecks were always on bicycles. I don't know if going faster and the dirt makes motocross crashes not as bad but man, I remember bike crashes hurting so much more.
DoctorJD
8/2/2021 5:58am
First off, sorry man, get well soon! I've got a buddy who's just now getting back on the bike after a big get-off back in the Spring.

Secondly, something jumped off the screen from you post. The words, "one more time". Many years ago I knew one of the on-site EMTs at Durhamtown Park. We were talking one day and he said the vast majority of their calls occurred after 4:00 in the afternoon, and without fail, almost all of the stories were the same: "I was just going out for one more lap". Hell, my son ended up in urgent care on a practice day after, "one more lap".

After that, I adopted the policy to never go out for, "one more lap/run/whatever". If we're skiing, we'll say, "let's do two more runs and call it a day", with no intention of ever doing the last run. I've adhered to that policy for since 2004 and it seems to be working!
Nairb#70
8/2/2021 7:16am
My worst crash in the last ten years wasn't in MX or MTB, I was hiking. I tripped over a root and off a cliff about 10 feet down and landed on a stump. Cracked ribs and torn bicep muscle was the result. Also roughed up my already sore shoulder. 3 months later it still hurts.
TyRod
8/2/2021 7:36am
DoctorJD wrote:
First off, sorry man, get well soon! I've got a buddy who's just now getting back on the bike after a big get-off back in the...
First off, sorry man, get well soon! I've got a buddy who's just now getting back on the bike after a big get-off back in the Spring.

Secondly, something jumped off the screen from you post. The words, "one more time". Many years ago I knew one of the on-site EMTs at Durhamtown Park. We were talking one day and he said the vast majority of their calls occurred after 4:00 in the afternoon, and without fail, almost all of the stories were the same: "I was just going out for one more lap". Hell, my son ended up in urgent care on a practice day after, "one more lap".

After that, I adopted the policy to never go out for, "one more lap/run/whatever". If we're skiing, we'll say, "let's do two more runs and call it a day", with no intention of ever doing the last run. I've adhered to that policy for since 2004 and it seems to be working!
That was exactly what I was thinking when I read the "one more time" comment!!" Many good days have been ruined from going out one last time, lol!!
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/2/2021 8:42am
DoctorJD wrote:
First off, sorry man, get well soon! I've got a buddy who's just now getting back on the bike after a big get-off back in the...

This.

"Some more laps." Never "one more."
alphado
8/2/2021 9:04am
Still sore, pretty much stuck the recliner. Only get up to pee. Got heat on my back now, that seams to help. Definitely looking at more equipment if I go back. Only had knee pads and a open face helmet. Pretty stupid now that I look back at it.
Spudnut
8/2/2021 11:05am
alphado wrote:
Guess it was bad luck lol! Jk, hope you heal up quick and smooth
Sawfish
8/2/2021 11:28am Edited Date/Time 8/2/2021 11:38am
I’ve always said “another” instead of one more, lol. Funny the dumb mental stuff we do. Hope you heal up quick.

I was riding with a friend of my fathers, dude was maybe late 50’s and still pretty fast so I let him chase me a bit. He ate shit going so fast in a sweeper straight to the ground, it was the definition of a high side. I felt super bad and it was a reminder that I’ll be that age soon and I probably should drop the speed a bit.
MyBobbym
8/2/2021 12:53pm
alphado wrote:

WHOA... I ain't reading all that. Can't you just describe it with a single image.

You've lost a step. 😊
Hope you all are doing great.

Post a reply to: Worst crash ever....

The Latest